As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live] KoToR, Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies and more coming to Xbox Original BC

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The funniest thing I've heard this week is that MW1 Remaster launched a map pack of the same maps for the original release..
    I'm not sure which is funnier, that the Remaster didn't include those to start, or that they're charging more money for the pack. :o

Damn that's greedy.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    The funniest thing I've heard this week is that MW1 Remaster launched a map pack of the same maps for the original release..
    I'm not sure which is funnier, that the Remaster didn't include those to start, or that they're charging more money for the pack. :o

Damn that's greedy.

Oh the greed doesn't end there. MW1 Remaster includes the microtransactions from the most recent CoDs AND the "new" version of the (old) map pack costs more than the original version ever did. The better graphics caused inflation I guess.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Have challenges gone away entirely? I think they should because they are and were dumb as soup

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Have challenges gone away entirely? I think they should because they are and were dumb as soup

Mass Effect Andromeda had a challenge for playing it during its early access week. So the only way to complete that challenge was to own EA Access.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Forza Horizon 3 uses them for the weekly limited time Forzathon events. And Watering definitely had some last year for events.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Doesn't help that they've run the "Warfare" series into the ground. MW to AW to IW was a dumb transition. They've also just kinda rode the fanservice wave with Blops 3 with Nuketown and Zombies. At this point they should abandon the 'Warfare' moniker, and just make CoD Zombies a full title with it's own campaign, Horde modes, and human vs zombie pvp. They tend to pull some amazing talent for the zombie storylines so they should really run with the concept.

Also just release MW2 as a standalone remake, with all old DLC included and a new season pass worth of fan favorite CoD maps. And then make all 360 titles BC. Or fix them all and repackage as a collection.

CoD Zombies is a terrible game mode. I have no idea why it's so popular.

The problem has always been the shift to exo jumps and wallrunning junk. I'm fairly confident WWII will be received well, unless they really find a way to fuck it up. They could also bring back MW4 with Captain Price and people would lose their minds.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    They don't really bother me, there's no gamerscore so the completionist in me doesn't mind them, they're basically extras for those that are super into a game and like to keep coming back

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Doesn't help that they've run the "Warfare" series into the ground. MW to AW to IW was a dumb transition. They've also just kinda rode the fanservice wave with Blops 3 with Nuketown and Zombies. At this point they should abandon the 'Warfare' moniker, and just make CoD Zombies a full title with it's own campaign, Horde modes, and human vs zombie pvp. They tend to pull some amazing talent for the zombie storylines so they should really run with the concept.

Also just release MW2 as a standalone remake, with all old DLC included and a new season pass worth of fan favorite CoD maps. And then make all 360 titles BC. Or fix them all and repackage as a collection.

CoD Zombies is a terrible game mode. I have no idea why it's so popular.

conversely i find zombies to be the only game mode that is palatable. now that may be because i find the primary game modes for CoD to be awful so by comparison zombies looks better but still. considering the alternatives for that sort of thing zombies is one of if not the best.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Ugh, I hated the zombies game mode and always wished they'd sunk those resources into other game modes for the traditional multi. Stuff like one bullet and run game were really fun.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Khraul wrote: »
    Hey fellas... I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and grabbing an Xbone. A couple questions though...

1) Does anyone expect a huge price drop when the scorpio releases?

2) Are there any deals to be had on a console or bundle? The big sites (best buy, Amazon, etc) don't really have much in the way of deals and I'm cheap.... also Canadian.
    @Khraul Check out DealNews.com; the video game segment is down towards the bottom when you sort by category. They display deals all the time there, along with whatever catch there is to get the deal. About twice a week, I see a deal on there for an Xbox One bundle. Even if you don't buy via one of those deals, it at least gives you a good idea what you can expect to pay for a bundle deal, making you a smart shopper.

I've use the site for maybe 10 years for both actual buying things and for being more knowledgeable about large purchase. It's also really good for for when Xbox Live Gold subscriptions are on sale, though that seems to happen a lot less lately. Hell, at one point, I found 12 months for $35, so I bought 3 years and stacked them onto my account (you can only have 3 years worth at a time). But over the last year almost, I rarely ever see Live Gold deals.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Put a few more hours into Mass Effect Andromeda today. I'm enjoying it now that the initial disappointment of it being so vastly different from the original trilogy, and a major step back graphically from 3, has worn off (my fault from going into it blind). I have to say though some of the bugs make me feel like I'm playing a Bethesda game rather than a Bioware game.

It's really disappointing, I haven't even been able to get online on it despite having no problem connecting to Live. Looking online it looks like I would need to make adjustments to my firewall which I see no reason to do for a single broken game.
    The bugs... oh the so many bugs, including ones I've reported on or contributed to the original OP in their forums. There are so many god damn bugs in this game, it really makes me question their entire testing procedures. It's impossible to release a product without bugs, but the ones in this game are not only plentiful, but totally break missions or refuse to load the game, forcing you to lose up to an hour or two of gameplay. Ugh... the fucking bug!

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ugh, I hated the zombies game mode and always wished they'd sunk those resources into other game modes for the traditional multi. Stuff like one bullet and run game were really fun.

I don't think they are very good, as the series has gone on it's gotten so convoluted that I have no idea how you would traverse it without a strategy guide of some sort. However the rest of cod is so horrifically bad that it stands out by virtue of mediocrity

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I don't think they are very good, as the series has gone on it's gotten so convoluted that I have no idea how you would traverse it without a strategy guide of some sort. However the rest of cod is so horrifically bad that it stands out by virtue of mediocrity

I think this sort of distills the crux. Obviously I like COD. You don't. Designing a meh game system to appeal to you seems pointless. You'd prefer other games anyway.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

I think this sort of distills the crux. Obviously I like COD. You don't. Designing a meh game system to appeal to you seems pointless. You'd prefer other games anyway.

Kind of wish games would realize their niche and sort of stick with them... but then you get games where you're more along the moderate spectrum and the feedback just seems to highlight the things you'd rather they not add more of, so it's a tossup. :P

edit: Like, I think Infinite Warfare was mean to appeal to me, not the usual COD fan. I didn't buy it though.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Just got an Xbox One, woo.

Though I've got an odd problem -- whenever I hit the "buy" or "enter code" buttons in the shop, all that happens is that the screen goes slightly darker. Is this a known issue?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Though I've got an odd problem -- whenever I hit the "buy" or "enter code" buttons in the shop, all that happens is that the screen goes slightly darker. Is this a known issue?

WELCOME TO THE TEAM.

Also, the store/live may be lagged for you atm. Do you have it set to prompt you for a pin or check who is logged in via kinect (if you have one)?

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Hey fellas... I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and grabbing an Xbone. A couple questions though...

1) Does anyone expect a huge price drop when the scorpio releases?

2) Are there any deals to be had on a console or bundle? The big sites (best buy, Amazon, etc) don't really have much in the way of deals and I'm cheap.... also Canadian.
    #Khraul Check out DealNews.com; the video game segment is down towards the bottom when you sort by category. They display deals all the time there, along with whatever catch there is to get the deal. About twice a week, I see a deal on there for an Xbox One bundle. Even if you don't buy via one of those deals, it at least gives you a good idea what you can expect to pay for a bundle deal, making you a smart shopper.

I've use the site for maybe 10 years for both actual buying things and for being more knowledgeable about large purchase. It's also really good for for when Xbox Live Gold subscriptions are on sale, though that seems to happen a lot less lately. Hell, at one point, I found 12 months for $35, so I bought 3 years and stacked them onto my account (you can only have 3 years worth at a time). But over the last year almost, I rarely ever see Live Gold deals.

I do most of my shopping online and I've never seen this site.

Thanks for the heads up!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Mazel tov! And if you're running into store lag, remember you can always buy things--including free things--via the website or the Xbox App on Windows 10.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Ok, so that deals site has a factory refurb for $179 and a refurb with 5 games (Halo5, COD Advanced Warface, Ryse, RE Revelations 2, and Watch Dogs) for $264 and a refurb with Ryse: Son of Rome Day One Edition, The Crew, and Lords of the Fallen for $228.97

Them's some deals.

I might have to grab one of these.... has anyone had any positive/negative experience with Microsoft factory refurbs?

Edit - Also, do you guys find you need the 1tb unit over the 500gb? I think my PS4 is 500gb and I rarely have a need to delete things.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

WELCOME TO THE TEAM.

Also, the store/live may be lagged for you atm. Do you have it set to prompt you for a pin or check who is logged in via kinect (if you have one)?

Hm, I don't, though my router was slammed last night by various devices. I was hoping that's what was up.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Ok, so that deals site has a factory refurb for $179 and a refurb with 5 games (Halo5, COD Advanced Warface, Ryse, RE Revelations 2, and Watch Dogs) for $264 and a refurb with Ryse: Son of Rome Day One Edition, The Crew, and Lords of the Fallen for $228.97

Them's some deals.

I might have to grab one of these.... has anyone had any positive/negative experience with Microsoft factory refurbs?

Edit - Also, do you guys find you need the 1tb unit over the 500gb? I think my PS4 is 500gb and I rarely have a need to delete things.

Without going into the whole "console warz" area, I'd argue there's more "stuff" on Xbox to download than PS4--largely due to backwards compatibility (which operates entirely on installations, and your old DVDs are basically physical licenses).

Both PSN and XBL have two free games a month on multiple platforms, though whereas only some Vita is cross-platform with PS4, all Xbox 360 titles on it work with XB1 (as far as I remember) from here on out. The large majority of both systems libraries are multiplatform with the same installation sizes, roughly.

Everything remaining the same, I think an Xbox One would fill up faster than a Playstation 4--assuming you made equal use of both.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Xbox One really gets 4 games a month because all 360 games are backwards compatible. PS4 does not work that way with free PS3/Vita games.

Xbox works very easily with external drives. I have a 250gb SSD that I use for games I'm playing right now.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    How's the quality of the free titles though on average?

I find on my PS4 most months the free titles really aren't anything I want to play.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I have played tons of them and have a large backlog of them that are worthwhile. One time they gave away Banner Saga 2 and then Sleeping Dogs Definitive edition. It's worthwhile.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man darksiders remastered has so many issues, same weird sound issues as the second one, but more missing sounds and effects (the chain doesn't have a sound or a chain visual. Also it's straight up won't load some of my saves now, saying they haven't installed or loaded yet

This is for the original Darksiders (Warmastered) ? Am I better off just (re)playing the BC 360 version?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

I find on my PS4 most months the free titles really aren't anything I want to play.

Really impossible to judge for anyone but yourself.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I feel like the free XBO games are largely the same kind of indie crap that we see on PS4 (with the occasional exception). The 360 games tend to be better by comparison, and remind me of back when PS+ was all about old AAA titles for PS3. The big difference being PS+ was doing that back when the PS3 was still the main event. These 360 games are good, but they're coming at a time when I'd rather have games for the current system.

• Options
    edited April 2017

As already said, it's entirely dependent on what you enjoy, but I "buy" all of the GwG then cancel the install immediately, just so that I own the titles and can play them whenever. Truthfully, the 360 titles they dish out are usually a higher quality of gamrs than the One games. I think a few months ago they gave out BioShock Infiite.

However, Ryse and Sleeping Dogs were GwG, and those are steals when they're free.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys (and thanks Synth for the wiki entry).

I don't think I've seen more than a few free PS4 titles that interested me, but that Xbone/360 list has at least a dozen I'd snag.

I think it's time to start shopping.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Keep in mind those games probably won't come up again, so who knows what the future will bring.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Google the Xbox game pass, that's something you might want as a new owner.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    If you like EA games, get a year of EA Access for 30 bucks.

Turns out I like NHL games after all, and had no idea. BTW, NHL 17 seems to have a little of that Deathrow thing going on, though is obviously hockey not future space frisbee.

Edit: I mean I still probably wouldn't buy it, but shit yeah I'll play it free out of the Vault.

dporowski on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm in the game pass alpha, gonna use it to replay Gears 1

Also yo!
    Tellingly, no platforms are specified on the game's official web page, currently counting down to the launch event, although the marketing leak carries Xbox One branding.
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/23/15400088/call-of-duty-wwii-lauch-date-leak-ww2

• Options
    The best Mass Effect: Andromeda bugs seem to be the ones related to NG+ and the journal, from what I've heard. While it hasn't pushed itself into "this is a game I regret buying" territory, I do question my decision to go against my initial "pass" way back when.

I have so many missing achievements in the Gears Franchise... it's sad. I thought I got all the cogs but I evidently didn't... and I never did any co-op with Gears 1 either... or even played a ranked match, lol. Gears 3 is my most complete one of the franchise.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    The best Mass Effect: Andromeda bugs seem to be the ones related to NG+ and the journal, from what I've heard. While it hasn't pushed itself into "this is a game I regret buying" territory, I do question my decision to go against my initial "pass" way back when.

I have so many missing achievements in the Gears Franchise... it's sad. I thought I got all the cogs but I evidently didn't... and I never did any co-op with Gears 1 either... or even played a ranked match, lol. Gears 3 is my most complete one of the franchise.
    Those bugs I can deal with. They're annoying, but not terrible. I have run across quest-breaking bugs that required a ton of workaround or just flat out still don't work. A good example is the shield booster for the Nomad. The quest is there, I'm decently far through the game, and the blueprint is the only Nomad blueprint left, but I cannot build it no matter what. I have tons of the mats required, but attempting to craft it does nothing. Then there is the massive load time for loading a game which was saved while in the Nomad. It just won't load or takes forever. Now, I refuse to save a game while in the Nomad. I have to get out, save the game, then get back in. I've also encountered so many invisible walls that blocked my progress, only to find out that they weren't invisible. The game just didn't load aspects of a mission, so I had to load a previous save and hope those aspects finally loaded. I usually refuse to look up how to beat a mission, but Andromeda forces me to do this because I can't tell if what is happening is intended or not. 9/10 times, it's the game fucking up and not me. So instead of wasting an hour trying to figure something out, it's really the game messing up and I just saved a ton of time looking it up to find out it's the game, so I'll load a previous save. This happens way too often.

There are also cut scenes with characters and voices that don't load at all, so it looks like a schizophrenic have a conversation with herself/himself. The list goes on and on and on.

I flat out don't care for the Gears franchise. I enjoyed the first one a lot, but the second one made me moan and groan the entire time. It was like watching a war movie on the Oxygen network with all that mopey crap and I just couldn't trudge through it. My buddy let me borrow it and I gave it back to him without completing the game. To each their own, so if you enjoyed it, kudos to you.

Le_Goat on
  • Options

Unless you're one of those weirdos who doesn't like arguably the best third-person shooter franchise out there (no, I'm kidding, except for the part about best), you're doing yourself a big disservice not checking out Gears of War 4 if you haven't--the game is fantastic, looks gorgeous (on console or PC), and it tells a fundamentally different story, one about family discord and reconciliation, than any GOW story. You'll either like it or hate it, though so far most people really liked the change in direction, since it's buoyed by a very different kind of main cast than prior titles.

I can understand finding the story to be dumb--it's a similar issue as to what keeps me from finishing any Uncharted title despite having already paid money for them: Nathan Drake's stupid grinning asshole smug face and my overwhelming urge to punch him in the face any time he's not extremely upset. They're still outstanding games (after the first one anyway), but all that smug stupidness is hard for me to ignore.

• Options

Also yo!
    Tellingly, no platforms are specified on the game's official web page, currently counting down to the launch event, although the marketing leak carries Xbox One branding.

What's the news? The game is 100% going to launch on XBone, PS4 and PC.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Also yo!

What's the news? The game is 100% going to launch on XBone, PS4 and PC.

The marketing materials are all using Xbo branding, which I assume to mean Microsoft forked over for some sort of exclusivity deal here.

• Options
    Ohhhh.

Probably unlikely, though. I think the deal with Sony is still in effect.

• Options
    Aye. The photos of the marketing materials are just of the box.

And announcing that they will be doing a reveal isn't really advertising or w/e... I mean, it's a given that it will be on the three primary platforms.

This discussion has been closed.