As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestlingmania] the ultimate somethingsomethingmumblemumble

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Okay, so now that I'm caught up...

Does anyone know what the deal is with Southpaw Regional Wrestling? I mean like, what the motivation was?

I love it and want the shirt, but it came out of nowhere and is just so completely random. Is it a test? A way to sell more merch? Just for fun?

I'd love to know, but has anyone anywhere talked about it?
    They've been doing SRW backstage for fun to entertain each other for years

Someone, probably Gallows and Anderson, just decided to actually film it

Are you telling me that they've been larping backstage while the Other Larp was happening

What remains to be revealed is the secret, third LARP where the SRW characters play Vampire: the Masquerade. Mr. McElroy plays an amazing Nosferatu.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Does anyone know what the deal is with Southpaw Regional Wrestling? I mean like, what the motivation was?

I love it and want the shirt, but it came out of nowhere and is just so completely random. Is it a test? A way to sell more merch? Just for fun?

Are you telling me that they've been larping backstage while the Other Larp was happening
    100% yes

I'm back on board with wrestling

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    That's all I needed to hear!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Big Bart mentions that he will fight for "All the Southern Countries"

in SRW's timeline, the CSA remained separate from the USA, and further balkanized into smaller countries since the Civil War

D E E P E S T L O R E

• Options
    I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

you could always do a romhack of one of the old firepros

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I would bet money that somebody is already working on the SRW roster in Fire Pro Returns right this moment.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDPIfpHb2g

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Buddy of mine has WWE 2k17 and said there's already SRW CAWs online to download from the community

Which of course there is, that's so easy, it's just alt costumes of existing wrestlers for the most part (a few aren't in the game, like TJP)

Pony on
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Kaiju was a fuckin blast tonight.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Is Silver Potato still secretly one of the most talented Indy wrestlers? I remember him being really underrated.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Sprout wrote: »

What remains to be revealed is the secret, third LARP where the SRW characters play Vampire: the Masquerade. Mr. McElroy plays an amazing Nosferatu.

you joke, but in the very first d&d campaign I was ever in, someone tried to join up as his vampire larp character

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »

you joke, but in the very first d&d campaign I was ever in, someone tried to join up as his vampire larp character

One time, during our vampire LARP session, our vampire LARP characters played Dungeons & Dragons

• Options
    Is Silver Potato still secretly one of the most talented Indy wrestlers? I remember him being really underrated.

He wasn't there tonight, but I remember him being kind of off his game at the show in October. So, no.

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    LockedOnTarget if you think ratings do matter and are important to the future of WWE and that Meltzer's viewpoints on the subject are interesting and relevant to the thread, that's all fine.

That's your opinion. I don't agree with it, but if that's your opinion, then ok.

If it's something you're interested in having a discussion about, we can do that in this thread, because it would be relevant to the topic.

Except... it doesn't seem like that's what your opinion on this subject is? Nor is it wirehead's, really.

No, it seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that your opinion is that the ratings issues are important because of what "Vince thinks" or what "the networks think" or what "advertisers think".

And those are a bunch of people who aren't here, aren't speaking for themselves on the matter, aren't being directly quoted, and who I don't think a lot of terribly constructive conversation can be had about by way of speculating what goes on in their minds.

Like, you accuse people here of bullying or policing wirehead, but the original gentleman's wager I had with wirehead (which he honored, and I paid up on) was specifically to get him to acknowledge how fruitless it was to be constantly trying to speculate on the motives and thoughts and machinations of Vince (especially given that Vince is... yeah...) and to try to encourage some improvement of his posts and avoid the constant back and forth argument about this subject that often derailed this thread before then

For what it's worth, when I offered wirehead a list of suggestions earlier today he just politely took them into consideration and didn't seem terribly offended.

If the man himself is upset and feels bullied he could speak up I suppose.

I don't feel bullied here to be clear, everyone is cool and I understand people getting on me for bringing up certain topics as I don't have a good enough filter on myself at times.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    So I was watching this week's [Runs Fast Man] episode and when [Insert Villain Here] says "[Insert Hero Name Here], I knew you would come." I immediately shouted "[Aforementioned Villain] IS MATT HARDY!"(because part of the theme from the last couple episodes was "Who is [Previously Mentioned Villain]?")

I think either the vertigo or the meds I'm taking for said vertigo are getting to me.

(Glad I redacted all those important bits or some people might be angry about [Show About Guy That Runs Fast And All The Villains Also Run Fast Too] spoilers!)

• Options
  • Options
    Well, Reby's rants were fun while they lasted.

• Options
    Well, Reby's rants were fun while they lasted.

I hope those tweets don't come back to bite them in court.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    LockedOnTarget if you think ratings do matter and are important to the future of WWE and that Meltzer's viewpoints on the subject are interesting and relevant to the thread, that's all fine.

That's your opinion. I don't agree with it, but if that's your opinion, then ok.

If it's something you're interested in having a discussion about, we can do that in this thread, because it would be relevant to the topic.

Except... it doesn't seem like that's what your opinion on this subject is? Nor is it wirehead's, really.

No, it seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that your opinion is that the ratings issues are important because of what "Vince thinks" or what "the networks think" or what "advertisers think".

And those are a bunch of people who aren't here, aren't speaking for themselves on the matter, aren't being directly quoted, and who I don't think a lot of terribly constructive conversation can be had about by way of speculating what goes on in their minds.

Like, you accuse people here of bullying or policing wirehead, but the original gentleman's wager I had with wirehead (which he honored, and I paid up on) was specifically to get him to acknowledge how fruitless it was to be constantly trying to speculate on the motives and thoughts and machinations of Vince (especially given that Vince is... yeah...) and to try to encourage some improvement of his posts and avoid the constant back and forth argument about this subject that often derailed this thread before then

For what it's worth, when I offered wirehead a list of suggestions earlier today he just politely took them into consideration and didn't seem terribly offended.

I don't feel bullied here to be clear, everyone is cool and I understand people getting on me for bringing up certain topics as I don't have a good enough filter on myself at times.

Alright, cool. If at some point you think I'm being mean or unfair to you, feel free to say something publicly or privately, whatever you're more comfortable with. More than likely I'll probably also get infracted for it, so that'd probably be a pretty telltale sign for me as well.

I'm not trying to be a prick to you.

Pony on
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Alright, cool. If at some point you think I'm being mean or unfair to you, feel free to say something publicly or privately, whatever you're more comfortable with. More than likely I'll probably also get infracted for it, so that'd probably be a pretty telltale sign for me as well.

I'm not trying to be a prick to you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vc7VBVpl1SY

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Shaq:

C7P21OtUwAA-9GP.jpg

Big Show dodged a bullet. When a man doesn't fear driving to the edge of the earth and falling over, what makes you think he'd fear you in a fight

• Options
    was Shaq high

that seems like the kind of stream of consciousness rant that comes out of someone they're fuckin high

like that's the kind of sentence structure and narrative flow i have when i'm fucked up on shit, y'all have seen it, it's just usually about video games

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    "I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle."

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Shaq:

C7P21OtUwAA-9GP.jpg

Big Show dodged a bullet. When a man doesn't fear driving to the edge of the earth and falling over, what makes you think he'd fear you in a fight

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I love Shaq

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I smell a wacky Shaq/AJ tag team

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    shaq vs aj confirmed for mania

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    (and by aj i mean me

i been taking lessons from aaron carter)

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    "I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle."

Look, I've been all around the world, and at no point in time was I ever walking around while upside down.

Everything I learned about traveling around a non-flat planet, I learned from Super Mario Galaxy.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    So I was watching this week's [Runs Fast Man] episode and when [Insert Villain Here] says "[Insert Hero Name Here], I knew you would come." I immediately shouted "[Aforementioned Villain] IS MATT HARDY!"(because part of the theme from the last couple episodes was "Who is [Previously Mentioned Villain]?")

I think either the vertigo or the meds I'm taking for said vertigo are getting to me.

(Glad I redacted all those important bits or some people might be angry about [Show About Guy That Runs Fast And All The Villains Also Run Fast Too] spoilers!)

Was this post meant to be submitted to Not Always?
    I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

If I had any idea how to do that, we'd have been playing a Proto Man game on top of Darkwing Duck and a version of All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. with late-80s celebrities some 15 years ago.

• Options
    edited March 2017

I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

If I had any idea how to do that, we'd have been playing a Proto Man game on top of Darkwing Duck and a version of All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. with late-80s celebrities some 15 years ago.

so basically a SRW version of VGCW

edit: wait holy shit we're on to something here

Pony on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular

I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

I mean, it's tabletop, but World Wide Wrestling is right there. We could make a federation and everything to do on Roll20. TRV's Dungeon World Campaign is giving me some ideas on how to make it work with such a large cast too.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »

I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

I mean, it's tabletop, but World Wide Wrestling is right there. We could make a federation and everything to do on Roll20. TRV's Dungeon World Campaign is giving me some ideas on how to make it work with such a large cast too.

if always wondered, is World Wide Wrestling kayfabe?

like are you roleplaying as dudes who are their gimmicks and the wrestling is a genuine competition

or are you roleplaying as dudes who have gimmicks, and also like, have to do the job and shit

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to ask Dex when he's going to run a SRW campaign since the moment I finished the videos.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular

"Not Always"?

No. It's totally wrestling related because it's about Matt Hardy and I specifically spoilered all the important non-Matt Hardy names so people didn't get spoiled about something minor that happens in this past weeks episode of [The Red Runnerman] outside of the relevant thread for non-spoilered conversation about that show and the related shows.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

like are you roleplaying as dudes who are their gimmicks and the wrestling is a genuine competition

or are you roleplaying as dudes who have gimmicks, and also like, have to do the job and shit

Nah, you know what the finish is, and you're working together to put on the best matches you can. You might try to get yourself over with spots or whatever but it's still cooperative, I think. At least that's what I've read, haven't had a chance to play it myself.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I want an SRW game now.

8-bit.

Nah, you know what the finish is, and you're working together to put on the best matches you can. You might try to get yourself over with spots or whatever but it's still cooperative, I think. At least that's what I've read, haven't had a chance to play it myself.

Yeah, you're playing Mark Calaway playing the Undertaker

Creative gives you a match result (you're retiring Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania) and you have moves for how well you pull off your finisher, engaging the fans, whether you stick to the booking or go into business for yourself, that kind of stuff

there ARE wrestling games that are strictly kayfabe, Wild World Wrestling being a big one (though I don't LOVE the D20 level-based structure, it makes it a lot of work), and then there's a Fate hack for wrestling I'm very fond of, but I know you'll probably hate, @Pony, as I know your views on Fate in general

(though if anyone else knows any good wrestling/PvP RPGs that would translate well to wrestling, hmtfu)
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've been meaning to ask Dex when he's going to run a SRW campaign since the moment I finished the videos.

hmm, yknow, i should run a PbP of World Wide Wrestling to really get a handle on the mechanics...

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.