Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    So how do you access the Grimm Troop content? I'm getting pretty close to the end but I still haven't stumbled upon the trigger for it.
    There's a breakable wall in the howling cliffs. Something obvious will happen inside then head back to Dirtmouth.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So how do you access the Grimm Troop content? I'm getting pretty close to the end but I still haven't stumbled upon the trigger for it.
    There's a breakable wall in the howling cliffs. Something obvious will happen inside then head back to Dirtmouth.
    Is that the one with the bug corpse when when you use the dream nail on it, a brazier appears in another room? I couldn't get that to do anything besides that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Is that the one with the bug corpse when when you use the dream nail on it, a brazier appears in another room? I couldn't get that to do anything besides that
    Hit it until it lights up and some music plays

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I absolutely love this game, but some of the dlc has some weird and way to hidden ways of accessing it, that seem not hinted at during the game.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I absolutely love this game, but some of the dlc has some weird and way to hidden ways of accessing it, that seem not hinted at during the game.

Everything has weird and hidden ways of accessing it.

A feature of Dark Souls I will never enjoy.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »

Everything has weird and hidden ways of accessing it.

A feature of Dark Souls I will never enjoy.

The intent behind that in Dark Souls was to use the messaging system to recreate the experience of talking to your friends about this and finding the secrets communally. Or at least as much as that is possible in a world where everyone has the internet. Keeping the secrets without some messaging system is just asking people to look up guides online though. All except those who really enjoy searching for these kinds of challenges I guess.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I managed to activate the Grimm Troupe stuff by accident, but I'd agree it's hilariously obtuse. I didn't even realize I did anything when I activated it since the game gives no notification until you go back to town.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The hand's down hardest thing to complete in this game for me so far has been the trial of the fool.
    There is a part where you lose the floor and the walls close in tightly and you have to fight a bunch of waves of enemies and i got blocked by the armored bees that shoot four prong beams for ages.

• Options
    shadowane wrote: »
    I managed to activate the Grimm Troupe stuff by accident, but I'd agree it's hilariously obtuse. I didn't even realize I did anything when I activated it since the game gives no notification until you go back to town.

I stumbled upon the trigger point but it never occurred to me to hit the thing with the nail.

• Options
    shadowane wrote: »

I stumbled upon the trigger point but it never occurred to me to hit the thing with the nail.

I hit everything for whatever reason.

• Options
    I think the reason I get nervous about hitting things is my past soulsborne experiences

When I found Confessor Jiji, I thought he was for "oh shit, you pissed off somebody! I can fix that" not "hey lets summon your corpse so you don't have to corpse run"

• Options
    Man is the last coliseum fight difficult.

• Options
    I used Unbreakable strength (Upgraded Fragile) Costs 15,000 Geo , Flukenest , Mark of pride as my charms for the trial of the fool.

Flukenest hits ridiculously hard like it only took four casts of it directly to end the Coliseum boss.

If you need Geo you can repeat the 2nd Coliseum trial which is 100x easier for 2000 geo per run.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Trial of the Fool, the Grey Mourner Quest, and the White Palace are probably the trifecta of 'god damn you, Team Cherry' moments in the game.

Path of Pain is on some other level, some 'just fuck off for miles, Team Cherry' level.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I used Unbreakable strength (Upgraded Fragile) Costs 15,000 Geo , Flukenest , Mark of pride as my charms for the trial of the fool.

Flukenest hits ridiculously hard like it only took four casts of it directly to end the Coliseum boss.

If you need Geo you can repeat the 2nd Coliseum trial which is 100x easier for 2000 geo per run.

I've got strength upgraded already but never used flukenest. I've been using charge attacks to kill anything I can in 1 shot, but maybe flukenest would be better for some of the more obnoxious enemies.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    So now i think the only thing i have left to do is go to the white palace? Oh and complete the Grimm questchain.
    Oh my god these little fire guys for the Grimm torchs are assholes.

Zunde on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hiveblood is also damn near cheat mode for the arena. You get hit, you run your ass to the top left corner where not much can reach you and wait until your health grows back. That and strategic enemy killing (read: any enemy that can reach the corners die first, save lumbering ground enemies last for easy healing), and the last arena was almost a cakewalk.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Trial of the Fool is the one thing that makes me wary of a Steel Heart run. I really don't want to get that close to 100% and flub it in that no-floor section.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Trial of the Fool is the one thing that makes me wary of a Steel Heart run. I really don't want to get that close to 100% and flub it in that no-floor section.

The key to Steel Soul mode is that as soon as you have 1 hit left, you quit the game.

It's basically like Hardcore Diablo or Path of Exile.

• Options
    Just looked up the "Path of pain."
    WHAT

• Options
    The worst part of Path of Pain is the very last thing you have to do, which I could see completely fucking someone over. Other than that it was just a neat challenging platforming section with pretty decent checkpointing.

• Options
    Troupe Master Grimm
    Don't hit him when he bows to you it's rude and he will show you that being rude is rude.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    On the subject of Grimm Troupe I'm having trouble deciding which ending to go for. Any opinions?

• Options
    It really depends entirely on the charm you want.
    If you banish them you apparently get a charm that has a chance to negate all damage when hit but if you complete it you get a sort of orbiter that shoots fireballs at enemies.

White palace and Path of pain looked scary but it was trial and error with Hiveblood charm making you effectively immortal.

• Options
    I chose to complete it fully.
    Banishing them is easier so I can do that on a non-100% replay if I want to.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    On the subject of Grimm Troupe I'm having trouble deciding which ending to go for. Any opinions?

One thing to consider
    If you go the banishment route, you skip the devilishly difficult but incredibly fun boss fight for Nightmare King Grimm. Definitely one of the best bosses in the game.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Grimm Troupe rewards:
    A familiar that does about half the damage of a full strength nail hit, and it fires pretty frequently. It's a pretty great charm. Just prepare for the colonoscopy that is Nightmare King Grimm

Otherwise a charm that, to quote the official text, "Negates all damage from one attack, the chance to activate depends on how many hits have been taken since this charm last activated. The chance caps after 7 hits at 90% chance to activate.". I ain't no mathematician, but statistically speaking every ~5th hit on average will be nullified. It's kind of a classic case of something you get, but by the time you get it there's really nothing to use it on, except maybe the arena trials. And honestly, the general strat in this game typically revolved around "The best defense is a good offense. And not getting hit period".

Personally, I think the familar's better. But you gotta earn it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight done! What a great game.
    Or rather, the part of the game i will finish without great pain. I got the bad ending. Given how much hard work needed for the "good" ending, i think I'll pass on that. I still love the game, and i am more than happy about the 30+ hours i got from it.

• Options
    Morran wrote: »
    Hollow Knight done! What a great game.
    Or rather, the part of the game i will finish without great pain. I got the bad ending. Given how much hard work needed for the "good" ending, i think I'll pass on that. I still love the game, and i am more than happy about the 30+ hours i got from it.

Well at least Youtube that glorious shit.

I feel ya. This game ended my right thumb and my console gaming.
    An evil god done well. Take note, Japan.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Sounds like I do the ritual. Mostly because I want a shot at the fight.

Edit: Oh this might have been a bad decision.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    How long is this game? It very very much looks my thing, but I just don't know how much time I can put in to it. Then again with it being portable on the Switch...

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    My first playthrough to the easy ending was about 14 hours. My speedrun playthrough for the cheevo was 4.5. 100% after you know already where everything is is probably about 15.

The better you are at this style of game the shorter it will be. Dying and doing corpse runs takes up a bunch of time if you it happens often.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Depends on how thorough you choose to be. I'm currently at 25 hours and while I could go for the end right now there is still a bunch of things I want to do first. I think I have another 7-10 hours of game time.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    That sounds pretty reasonable, should be able to put that in to a portable. I'll finish Mario rabbids today and then pick it up.

Excited! Platform fans, specifically metroidvania style ones, have always been my favourite genre.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    106% Completion 45 hours 12 minutes.

NKG Was a fucker.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    106% Completion 45 hours 12 minutes.

NKG Was a fucker.

Yeah I'm honestly not sure I can beat him. Ended up wandering off and doing other things for a while.

Congrats on the completion. (And killing that fucker)

• Options
    Getting the real ending took me almost 40 hours.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This game is really really good.

• Options
    NKG Was using me as a squeaky toy for two hours but then this one attempt was like i went into "The zone." and it was like nothing he did was hitting me.

• Options
    Nightmare King is an insanely hard fight. Every move has a counter, but your timing has to be precise or you either won't hit him or he'll cancel into something else. You have to jump or dash just right to escape or put yourself where you can counter-attack. Someone describe it as a dance, and it really feels like it when things are going well.

H9f4bVe.png