As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: Now has a store page; still no release date

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I wonder what it means that I have the “your shade is nearby” tune constantly stuck in my brain

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wonder what it means that I have the “your shade is nearby” tune constantly stuck in my brain

Did you die recently?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    knitdan wrote: »
    Drez where is the Dream Egg you are missing and can’t seem to reach?

Location spoilers
    There’s one in the City of Tears, it requires double jump to reach. There’s one in the Fungal Wastes. Fog Canyon. The most isolated one is in Deepnest, but it doesn’t have a boss fight attached.

Check your map for spots that look like you should be able to go but haven’t yet.

Do you have the passive ability that lets you swim in acid?

Also remember to ground pound areas where the ground is “loose”, and anything that looks like a glass window on the ground.
    Fog Canyon is my trouble area.
    I cannot seem to get to the map dude. There’s a barrier right before it.

From your comments and the ones before yours, I surmise I’m missing something regarding this area. I’ve been around and through it like 4 or 5 or so times but I guess I missed something. Will search again in a few.

Hmm, no swim-in-acid ability, no. I bet that’s the missing key for me. I’m just going to explore everywhere once again. I haven’t played in 3 weeks or so, so fresh perspective, I guess.

Thanks!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Well, I finally beat
    Lost Kin
    . So, that’s progress at least.

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Hint for the location of the swim in acid ability:
    Have you visited the sewers under the City of Tears yet? If so, how thorough were you in exploring?

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Location spoilers
    There’s one in the City of Tears, it requires double jump to reach. There’s one in the Fungal Wastes. Fog Canyon. The most isolated one is in Deepnest, but it doesn’t have a boss fight attached.

Check your map for spots that look like you should be able to go but haven’t yet.

Also remember to ground pound areas where the ground is “loose”, and anything that looks like a glass window on the ground.

From your comments and the ones before yours, I surmise I’m missing something regarding this area. I’ve been around and through it like 4 or 5 or so times but I guess I missed something. Will search again in a few.

Hmm, no swim-in-acid ability, no. I bet that’s the missing key for me. I’m just going to explore everywhere once again. I haven’t played in 3 weeks or so, so fresh perspective, I guess.

Thanks!
    Yeah, that was the last dreamer for me as well, and I also didn't find the map guy's location until after I'd completed the area and he'd left. I don't think you have to have swim-in-acid to get in there, but I wouldn't swear to that. There are like ten entrances to Fog Canyon, and my brain couldn't piece the map together. I ended up exploring the whole thing multiple times, except for the one room I was actually looking for. :/

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Did you die recently?

It's always that "just one more burrito" that does one in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    @Drez From my experience the Elderbug's hints are usually a good guide for direction even if they are a bit vague. He seems to run out once you have the key items and abilities.

As for me, I just finished platform hell. Unlike my time with Celeste I didn't find it enjoyable.
    All hail Hiveblood! Kingsoul get!

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    There's more platform hell after that if you want it for some reason :X

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Unless it's in the coliseum I'd be surprised if I hadn't done it already. All dreamers are dealt with, all charms collected, I'm missing one pale ore for my last upgrade, all grubs are freed, all nail arts learned, and all spells are upgraded.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Unless it's in the coliseum I'd be surprised if I hadn't done it already. All dreamers are dealt with, all charms collected, I'm missing one pale ore for my last upgrade, all grubs are freed, all nail arts learned, and all spells are upgraded.

You haven't done it already because, if you had, you wouldn't be calling anything else "platform hell".

You also don't actually get anything tangible from it, just a whiff of lore.

• Options
    Well, I got past that and a bunch of other stuff. I did explore the City Waterways pretty thoroughly but I guess not thoroughly enough. I also missed
    That hanging grub boss (which was super easy with the voices spell).

Anyway, thanks, all. Back to walkthrough/hint blackout.

Oh and @Barrakketh Thanks, I guess I haven't been checking in with him or Dirtmouth much in general.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Xerink wrote: »
    Hint for the location of the swim in acid ability:
    Have you visited the sewers under the City of Tears yet? If so, how thorough were you in exploring?

This helped a ton, thanks.

Drez wrote: »

Location spoilers

Thanks!
    Yeah, that was the last dreamer for me as well, and I also didn't find the map guy's location until after I'd completed the area and he'd left. I don't think you have to have swim-in-acid to get in there, but I wouldn't swear to that. There are like ten entrances to Fog Canyon, and my brain couldn't piece the map together. I ended up exploring the whole thing multiple times, except for the one room I was actually looking for. :/

Unless I missed another entrance, I do think that ability was required. But I could be wrong.

I did find a lot of ways in there, but only this one got me to
    the other side of the barrier, where Connifer (Conifer?) was with the map.

But then I got to Queen's Gardens which I must have totally missed another entrance to before because Conifer (Connifer?) was missing.

Drez on
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

You haven't done it already because, if you had, you wouldn't be calling anything else "platform hell".

The only thing I can think of that fits that description is
    Bardoon in Kingdom's Edge.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

If you want to know where it is:
    It's the Path of Pain. Inside the White Palace, there's a breakable wall after I think the second bench? You go up a screen and then a wall on the left will break.

Have a lot of spare time. And use the dpad or a keyboard.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Did you die recently?

I play this game a lot and 50% of my time is spent getting my shade back...

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Fog Canyon map info
    You can reach it from two directions. From the left, you need the dash-thru-black-goo ability. From the right, you need the Mantis Wings (double jump) ability. You don’t strictly need swim-in-acid, but it makes the right side of Fog Canyon easier to access because you can drop down from Forgotten Crossroads instead of trying to bounce up on those awful purple yoga ball things.

To reach the map from the right, drop down from forgotten crossroads and hug the left wall of the tall room with the jellyfish. Take the second opening on the left wall, and if you reach some black goo turn around and go up

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

If you want to know where it is:
    It's the Path of Pain. Inside the White Palace, there's a breakable wall after I think the second bench? You go up a screen and then a wall on the left will break.

Have a lot of spare time. And use the dpad or a keyboard.

I did it with the analog stick so the dpad isn't necessary. Did all of Celeste like that too though.

• Options
    shadowane wrote: »
    I did it with the analog stick so the dpad isn't necessary. Did all of Celeste like that too though.
    If you bought either game on the Switch like I did then that might be a side effect of the terrible d-pad on the Pro Controller rather than a choice :P

• Options
    edited October 2018
    OK, I got a second ending at 98%, feels like there should be at least one more ending? Endings I got:
    The endings I got are "replace the Hollow Knight in the black egg" and "replace the Hollow Knight in the black egg, but Hornet's corpse is also in there"

I don't think I want to do Trial of the Fool, Path of Pain, any pantheons, or the Grey Mourner's quest. I am also missing one or two grubs somewhere. Is there another ending I can access, or is it time to go to YouTube?

Fry on
  • Options
    OK, I got a second ending at 98%, feels like there should be at least one more ending? Endings I got:
    The endings I got are "replace the Hollow Knight in the black egg" and "replace the Hollow Knight in the black egg, but Hornet's corpse is also in there"

I don't think I want to do Trial of the Fool, Path of Pain, any pantheons, or the Grey Mourner's quest. I am also missing one or two grubs somewhere. Is there another ending I can access, or is it time to go to YouTube?

The grey mourner quest is easy enough to do if you clear the way first and just dont sit at a bench so the aggresive enemies don't respawn.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

There is one more ending, which you are capable of getting in your present condition. Directions below:
    When Hornet stabs the Hollow Knight, use the Dream Nail on him.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    On the head, specifically.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    FYI there is a 4th and 5th ending that is accessed through the Pantheons, but its crazy hard to get.

Also, you can get a bonus scene for any ending fairly simply by doing the following.
    Find Mr. Mushroom in 7 hiding spots throughout the world. You can start the hunt by wearing the Spore Shroom charm and reading the Riddle Tablet hidden in the far lower-right of Kingdom's Edge.

But that whole thing is just downright silly.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

There is one more ending, which you are capable of getting in your present condition. Directions below:
    When Hornet stabs the Hollow Knight, use the Dream Nail on him.

Hmm, I could have sworn I did that, but maybe I was too slow, or maybe I interrupted it with attack spam before I realized what was going on. I'll try that, thanks.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    How does getting multiple endings in one playthrough work? I am currently
    at about 1200 essence, have taken out two of the Dreamers, currently exploring the Queen's Garden. I've gotten all the maps and am just poking around to see what else there is so far. I know the endings have something to do with the egg, but if I get a bad ending does it restart me before I go in the egg or something? I'd like to see them all with a minimum of time investment if possible.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    at about 1200 essence, have taken out two of the Dreamers, currently exploring the Queen's Garden. I've gotten all the maps and am just poking around to see what else there is so far. I know the endings have something to do with the egg, but if I get a bad ending does it restart me before I go in the egg or something? I'd like to see them all with a minimum of time investment if possible.

clearing the game just loads you back at your previous save point, so you can keep going. basically the only point of no return after dealing with the dreamers is completing a certain two-part item, so after you've dealt with the dreamers, I'd go explore what that opens up.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »

After you beat the game, you can continue from the last bench you saved at.

There are some pretty obvious "you need to do this thing to get the 'real story'" markers near the end, you should go to the place you've identified as the endgame and get your first ending before doing that stuff.

Fry on
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    basically the only point of no return after dealing with the dreamers is completing a certain two-part item, so after you've dealt with the dreamers, I'd go explore what that opens up.
    If I'm not mistaken, the point of no return isn't completing that two-part item. It's "upgrading" it. Once you complete
    The Birthplace and acquire the Void Heart

you are locked out of the bad ending.

• Options
    BernordBernord Registered User regular
    Are these ascension challenges a part of the storyline, or are those you can do optionally after you've finished the game?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bernord wrote: »
    Are these ascension challenges a part of the storyline, or are those you can do optionally after you've finished the game?

If you mean the Ascended mode battles in the Hall of Gods, they are entirely optional. Completing the Hall of Gods in all difficulty modes gets you a Journal entry and a small visual reward, but it's not really anything to do with the main storyline.

It may give a teensy-weensy little bit of insight into the Godmaster endings, though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BernordBernord Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Bernord wrote: »

If you mean the Ascended mode battles in the Hall of Gods, they are entirely optional. Completing the Hall of Gods in all difficulty modes gets you a Journal entry and a small visual reward, but it's not really anything to do with the main storyline.

It may give a teensy-weensy little bit of insight into the Godmaster endings, though.

Thank you for an extensive answer, i'll be happy to come back and finish the story now that i know i won't have to deal with these ultimate dudes. <3

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I didn't realise this was out on PS4 until today

I already bought it on PC but couldn't run it smoothly (sigh...) so I'm happy I can dive into it finally

After playing 20 minutes at lunch I can say that it's much, much easier with no input lag....

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

The grey mourner quest is easy enough to do if you clear the way first and just dont sit at a bench so the aggresive enemies don't respawn.

Yeah I was dreading the grey mourner quest but it's actually pretty easy. And since you can't get hit anyway, you can also just go ahead and overcharm yourself.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    I went ahead and did a pre-walkthrough to clear out enemies, which made the Grey Mourner thing not bad. Which was my final mask piece, nice.

Bosses that hit for 2 damage at a time suck. I might need to look up ore locations and get myself another nail upgrade, because I just can't dodge everything long enough to deal with that.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I got my first achievement after exploring about 5 or 6 zones and getting to the city--the one for unlocking half the stag gates

What the fuck this game is huge

• Options
    OK, now I'm done with the game I think. Looked up the location of the last Pale Ore I was missing, used the upgraded nail to breeze through Trial of the Fool, then put in some reps until I could defeat the True Final Boss.
    Definitely glad I got that last nail upgrade; previously I was only making it to phase 2 of The Radiance. Apparently it's actually got five or six phases, yeesh.

Final completion rate 103%

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    The last phase of the final boss might just be my favorite part of the game.
    It's certainly not the most challenging section of the game, but the seemingly never-ending climb up to the heavens as the Radiance tries to blast you out of the sky is incredibly tense. Then when you finally reach him and the very Void itself grabs the Radiance and smothers out its light...epic.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    It's certainly not the most challenging section of the game, but the seemingly never-ending climb up to the heavens as the Radiance tries to blast you out of the sky is incredibly tense. Then when you finally reach him and the very Void itself grabs the Radiance and smothers out its light...epic.
    and when you see the Siblings rise up through the darkness to follow you, and the Hollow Knight's own shade holds down the Radiance for you? Amazing. It was that moment that I realized what it meant for the Void Heart to unite the Void.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I think it's the most challenging non-puzzle related part of the base game.

steam_sig.png