As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands] Sorry, your Vault is on another planet...

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I've always preferred SMGs and snipers.
    Snipers of course one exception aside are worthless past playthrough 2.
    At least with Axton teidore SMGs are very useful

If the Cobra wasnt hell to farm I feel like it'd be my ideal gun for him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The blue unique sniper rifle pimpernel ( pirate dlc) was extremely strong in several builds.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well I found out more dumb info about Borderlands 2. I was wrong about how damage reduction works, but also how cooldown reduction works.

Damage reduction is as follows; 50% damage reduction is actually 33%. (1 / 1.5) - 1 = this trainwreck of misleading wording.

Cooldown reduction is pretty similar. 30% cooldown reduction gets applied as (1 / 1.3) x (the ability in question). So Axton's turret wouldn't drop from 42 to 29 seconds, it'd be 32. Not the biggest difference but still not what is advertised exactly.

Dear Borderlands 3; keep the math simple.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Honestly and I know this is silly , misleading info in dungeon rpgs and HYPER specific wording ( 5% Additional and more damage 5% are COMPLETELY different things but I still love you path of exile ) are pretty much a staple of the dungeon crawler genre. If a game came out with trustworthy tooltips I wouldn’t know how to react

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah but this isn't a matter of specific wording, like 5% health regen vs 5% max health regen.

50% damage reduction is... 50% damage reduction, in the wording. The cooldown stuff apparently there's some technicality about "30% cooldown reduction," which apparently means the rate of cooldown vs the actual cooldown length (whatever the fuck that means).

• Options
    The blue unique sniper rifle pimpernel ( pirate dlc) was extremely strong in several builds.

That's the one exception yes

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Most things will work like 1/(1+x) due to the fact that 50% DR would let you soak 50% more damage, 100% DR would let you soak 100% more, etc. Each point is worth the same
    If it was just 1-x then the more DR you have the more each additional point of DR is worth. Going from 98 to 99 doubles your effective health and 100 makes you invulnerable

• Options
    I mean you can still reach legit 50% damage reduction, or close enough. If they don't want people to have true 100% reduction they can design it that way. Which they did! But in a goofy deceptive sort of way.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Does this work the same with weirder stuff like bullet reflection?

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Does this work the same with weirder stuff like bullet reflection?
    I'm not sure. Maya's Kinetic Reflection is where I saw the note about 100% damage reduction = actual 100% damage reduction. It even goes as far as to claim that if you can get it to rank 11, Maya will heal for 10% of bullet damage thrown at her. But after experiencing the math on other characters, I'm assuming you run it through the same formula, which results in 50% reduction.

I wonder though. Because it specifies bullets, maybe 1 means 1 in this case, so it's not the goofy formula?

Fuck I just want to see what BL3 will be like.

• Options
    I reinstalled The Pre-Sequel in an attempt to give it a fair shake and see it through to the end.

I took five steps on the moon and went FUCK and quit, I'll get back to it later after some chores.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Run with people, it'll be more entertaining that way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Honestly it's too much trouble to setup playing with other people at the moment given how chaotic home (where I work work) is (kids running around).

At any rate I'm playing as Nisha and think this is the build to roll with. Emphasis on buffs gained on kills and buffing the active ability, with a bit of survivability (without having to dip hard into melee shit). It's ironic because it's a pretty straight forward "shoot things better" build which I complained about when it came to part 2.

Edit - Oh, I've gotta say, one thing TPS did that BL2 (I dunno if BL1 had this) needed was your character commenting on quests, be they story or side.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    BL2 added it for dlc but one never had it

Pre sequel does it way to much imo

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm running with Nisha at the moment and I haven't used her active power for five or six levels

My current loadout seems to kill most non-badasses in one or two shots, so I just get on with it (thanks, Jakobs plus a 15% damage with Jakobs mod!)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BL2 added it for six but one never had it

"Added it for six"? Help me out here, you mean six missions?

I like that TPS does it as much as it does. You're playing specific characters, it isn't quite like "customize your own character!" games where people prefer the silent antagonist. On account of the whole "that's not what I imagined them to be like."

As for gameplay I'm still only level 9 but I am using Nisha's active A LOT. It's an ammo saver and just efficient as hell. It may not score critical hits (usually) but whatever, body shots are where it's at sometimes.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The Vault Hunters didn't really talk in general until Tiny Tina's DLC, but even then that was Lilith, Mordecai, and Brick talking for the BL2 characters. The BL2 Hunters didn't talk until the Headhunter Packs.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    BL2 added it for six but one never had it

"Added it for six"? Help me out here, you mean six missions?

I like that TPS does it as much as it does. You're playing specific characters, it isn't quite like "customize your own character!" games where people prefer the silent antagonist. On account of the whole "that's not what I imagined them to be like."

As for gameplay I'm still only level 9 but I am using Nisha's active A LOT. It's an ammo saver and just efficient as hell. It may not score critical hits (usually) but whatever, body shots are where it's at sometimes.

I meant Dlc autocorrect strikes again

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    The Vault Hunters didn't really talk in general until Tiny Tina's DLC, but even then that was Lilith, Mordecai, and Brick talking for the BL2 characters. The BL2 Hunters didn't talk until the Headhunter Packs.
    Everyone will tell you small lies, except the people you love, who will tell you large ones.
    I liked that one from Maya. The talking protagonist thing will definitely be in BL3, which is great.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    I don't mind them talking but in TPS theres a point where the characters just do things like insult the person theyre talking to and that character doesn't respond at all. It came off as lazy to me

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Cross-postin'!!!
    Iolo wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Borderlands 3 will be revealed at PAX East in 2 days but some sites are reporting possible detail leaks via 4chan.
    Take with a grain of salt but we'll be seeing if this is all true or not very soon.
    There is no mention regarding a possible Epic Store Exclusivity deal in the spoilers.

BEWARE: POSSIBLE BORDERLANDS 3 SPOILERS INSIDE THE SPOILER TAG
    BEWARE: IT'S YOUR LAST CHANCE
    • Takes place 5 years after the end of BL2/TPS
    • Tannis is not what she seems
    • AI Jack may be back, but he's not the villain
    • Rhys is back as CEO of Atlas. Atlas is back as a manufacturer. Gorty is back to help the player find multiple vaults in the game. Not just one vault this time. Tina is back as an adult. No word on the others but you can expect cameos from everyone like in BL2
    • Writing is more like BL1 than BL2
    • 4 new vault hunters
    • Abilities have been reworked, everyone now has multiple action skills instead of one
    • Flak the Beastmaster is a homeless looking android. He can summon multiple creatures to help him fight. The AI for this is what delayed announcement last October. So hopefully it's fixed now.
    • The female seen in the UE4 demo last year is a Valdof character who is the gunner class. She can summon a bear mech on which other players can ride. Summons the mech like in Titanfall. No word on how this works indoors.
    • The older male is like Batman. He's the stealth/assassin character. He's rich and uses gadgets for his action skills.
    • There's a black female Siren character. She's melee oriented like Brick was. She will have several siren abilities like phase-lock, phase-shift, and a ground pound skill.
    • NPCs can revive you now if you're close enough and go into FFYL
    • Guns are reworked. You'll have changeable gun parts of various rarities/stats. You'll be able to alter the type of gun, the firing rate, the reload speed, the stability, and element as you find new parts.
    • The bad guys are The Calypso Twins. One is a female siren (as only females can be sirens) and the other is a male who somehow has siren powers. Either he figured out a way to give anyone siren powers or the bond between twins allows him to share his sister's powers. They're rumored to be ex-Atlas employees
    • The Calypso twins rule The Children of the Vault, a cult mob that will replace Bandits/Scavs as the default human mob.
    • They will have their own weapon brand
    • All brands returning except Bandit/Scav
    • All elements returning except Slag, Laser, and Ice. New elements are rumored and the only lead says "nuclear" is one of them.
    • You'll start on Pandora but leave shortly into the game on Sanctuary 3, the Crimson Raider's ship. It will be the hub for multiple planet locations.
    • We're going to Promethea

That mostly sounds promising. I don't have strong feelings about it, but I know a lot of BL enthusiasts have been clamoring for:
    configurable guns/swappable parts.

Too bad about Ice, though. That was a highlight for me from TPS.

I'll wait and see how it plays out, but for BL1 and BL2 my 'main' was always the siren, and my least played class was the melee char (Brick and Zer0). Not immediately enthused about having the siren be the melee character, but maybe it'll be sweet? I'm intrigued by the Vladof gunner lady with summonable bear mech...

Super happy to see Tales characters are in the game. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I wonder if
    Vladof lady will make nods to the Metro series?

I read the recent game has a mutant bear.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Teaser trailer from Gamespot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VdPOGqkNrg

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Fucking. Finally. That trailer is pretty damn amazing and fantastic kudos to whoever did that art. If that's not the cover for some special edition or regular edition, they've screwed up.

And from the trailer looks like some twins are the bad guys this time around? Also saw some old villains in there, so maybe not indicative of who is actually going to show up this time around (I mean we know who isn't).

Really excited to see what they have for PAX and hoping this is a Fall release.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    As someone who never played the first Borderlands, what is the difference in writing style between it and 2?

And refrain from the "it's better" stuff, I'm looking for an academic answer here.

• Options
    Oh also I have a concern about one of the things in that spoiler tag list of potential leaks.
    That shit about characters having multiple abilities instead of just the one now - I kinda hate that and hope it isn't true. Because if it is true, there's a chance they will be making Borderlands 3 in the vein of Warframe / Anthem, and fuuuuuuuuck thaaaaaat shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I actually liked BL2's writing more than BL1's, but I have accepted minority status. BL1 writing was fine, but it was mostly tone for the barebones MacGuffin story and the mostly voiceless protagonists. There were highlights like the Tannis tapes, but it was mostly just... tone.

BL2 had an actual story that retconned the mostly voiceless protagonists into full-fledged characters who I actually cared about. While many folks complain about the overly meme-y humor, I really only found that to be present in the side missions (some of which were AMAZING, like the Top Gun one). The core story had beats and a real emotional core. I liked Handsome Jack as an antagonist, and I had real feels from the storyline which was certainly not what I expected when I signed up for more Borderlands.

So if I had to guess, I would guess "writing more like BL1 than BL2" to be shorthand for, "We got it. You don't like the meme-y humor." But who knows. I wouldn't have doubled down on raid bosses the way they did, so what I got out of and hope to get out of Borderlands doesn't always drive the bus.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I mean, the writing in BL2 is quite a big better than BL1, but BL2 feels sprawling compared to the first one and has a much better antagonist.

. . .and I don't mind that spoiler. The characters are still going to be heavily focused on their roles. I mean in the previous game your skill was basically three forms of the same one depending on how you spec'd yourself.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh also I have a concern about one of the things in that spoiler tag list of potential leaks.
    That shit about characters having multiple abilities instead of just the one now - I kinda hate that and hope it isn't true. Because if it is true, there's a chance they will be making Borderlands 3 in the vein of Warframe / Anthem, and fuuuuuuuuck thaaaaaat shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
    I'm not really sure why this would be a problem? Having only one ability got pretty boring.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My issue with BL2's writing is less the handsome jack overall plot stuff, and more the tiny tina hey ash whatcha playing style humor. Also the game wouldn't let characters breathe, frequently you'd have one characters lines over ridden by another because the game was constantly talking at you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    As someone who never played the first Borderlands, what is the difference in writing style between it and 2?

And refrain from the "it's better" stuff, I'm looking for an academic answer here.

Tough to say since the writing in the first is so thin. I'd say they're pretty similar, just in the second everything is voiced and there's people chatting with you on the Echo when you're running around. In the first one, most everything is text you have to read on the quest acceptance/completion screens. Things like the boss intro screens are virtually identical between the two, but for other stuff the voice acting adds a lot when compared to just reading the text, so it's harder to compare the two.

One other major thing is that the first one doesn't really have a strong antagonist. There's the head of the local Crimson Lance, but she's not exactly fleshed out, so there's not much personality there to get a grip on or to compare against Jack and his writing.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    My issue with BL2's writing is less the handsome jack overall plot stuff, and more the tiny tina hey ash whatcha playing style humor. Also the game wouldn't let characters breathe, frequently you'd have one characters lines over ridden by another because the game was constantly talking at you.
    That's less a writing problem and more an audio design problem, not letting the lines get read in full before the next stuff would start.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Man I had forgotten about BL1’s antagonist.

She was supposed to be a Siren too, but that got scrapped when they had the art-style/tone shift and had to redo the game in under a year.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options

There is writing in 2.
    The DLC is better about it Knoxx in particular but the main story is very lax for the most part

• Options
    I saw people saying that Tiny Tina is confirmed returning by way of the teaser trailer and couldn't spot it, until I saw a specific still that let me think on it long enough.

I thought that was Lilith at first. But yeah that's definitely Tina on the right.

• Options
    So that's at least one negative for me. I hated tina after play through 1.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If I had to guess, they're probably going to change her character enough to remove the hateable stuff. Mostly. And it'll be through a combination of possible change in writing staff / direction, and the fact that it's a few years later and she's grown and not a literal child anymore.

• Options
    A lot of this stuff syncs with the rumors Ive read so thats cool.

• Options
    If I had to guess, they're probably going to change her character enough to remove the hateable stuff. Mostly. And it'll be through a combination of possible change in writing staff / direction, and the fact that it's a few years later and she's grown and not a literal child anymore.

I hope so, but remains to be seen really. Gearbox doesn't have a lot of faith from me considering their post bl2 output.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

One thing I definitely want is a codex so that I can listen to the various echo recordings after I've collected them. Being able to select, say, Zer0's collection and be able to listen to all four of the conversations in sequence and back to back would be great.

This discussion has been closed.