As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    What does ATSKNF do this edition?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So far I would hold off on the WB thing till we see it. IW was not what any of the list have showed us so far so who knows.

Also Primaris go up to 10 now in the SM Codex.

Yes, but seeing the page these all come from, the Word Bearers is easiest to read and is very short. Still got to see the other stuff though (relic, warlord trait, stratagem)

And I didn't know primaris could take 10 man squads. ATSKNF might actually do something there :biggrin:

The CM codex did a lot of changes to Primaris and made them more adaptable. Also stuff like Powerfist went down to 13 pts instead of 20. Which probably will occur across the board.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The only difference between IW and IF traits that migh tmake some difference is that the IW trait mentions 'units with this trait', whereas the IF say 'IF models with this trait'. So if there's an IW model or something that lets you give that trait to another non-IW unit, then that might be a thing. Having those two be the same is lazy but not horrible. Having Alpha Legion be the same as Raven Guard is pretty derp.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    So far I would hold off on the WB thing till we see it. IW was not what any of the list have showed us so far so who knows.

Also Primaris go up to 10 now in the SM Codex.

Yes, but seeing the page these all come from, the Word Bearers is easiest to read and is very short. Still got to see the other stuff though (relic, warlord trait, stratagem)

And I didn't know primaris could take 10 man squads. ATSKNF might actually do something there :biggrin:

The CM codex did a lot of changes to Primaris and made them more adaptable. Also stuff like Powerfist went down to 13 pts instead of 20. Which probably will occur across the board.

That's good. I've gone through the new codex but didn't notice the basic primaris unit entry stuff. Can't wait for cheaper fists :smile:
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    What does ATSKNF do this edition?
    Reroll morale.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    So as someone who hasn't played since like, 4th or 5th- is WYSIWYG still a thing for minis (IE: the mini has to reflect exactly what its loadout is)?

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Without seeing all the warlord traits and relics it's hard to really measure how good each legion will be. Unless they do a 180 from how they were in 7th, there will be a few pretty big force multipliers. Night Lords had terrible legion traits but amazing relics for instance. Were things like the decurion formations with combat bonuses for specific unit combinations a thing in the new marine codex? Or is it all just bonus command points now?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Without seeing all the warlord traits and relics it's hard to really measure how good each legion will be. Unless they do a 180 from how they were in 7th, there will be a few pretty big force multipliers. Night Lords had terrible legion traits but amazing relics for instance. Were things like the decurion formations with combat bonuses for specific unit combinations a thing in the new marine codex? Or is it all just bonus command points now?

No new formations.

But stratagems replaced some of the old stuff. Like, "If you have 3 preds spend 1 cp and do stuff like this." The vindi one is kind of nasty if you have 3 vindis.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So as someone who hasn't played since like, 4th or 5th- is WYSIWYG still a thing for minis (IE: the mini has to reflect exactly what its loadout is)?

Depends who you play with, but it hasn't really changed. Most important thing is that the models should look different enough at a glance (ie: a plasmagunner shouldnt just have a differenly painted bolter). I don't know anyone who's hardcore about "this model needs EXACTLY every piece of wargear!". Things like sergeants missing pistols or combiweapons (as long as you can tell who the sergeant is) has never really mattered much.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists having the same trait is fine because it works in the fluff.
    Alpha Legion isn't 'sneaky' like hiding, it's insidious. Their whole deal is hiding in plain sight. 'Harder to shoot' is a lazy cop out. That's what I find annoying.

Maybe they're harder to shoot because you can't be sure if you're supposed to be shooting them or not (because they might be on your side up until they stab you in the back)?

I don't know, I'm pretty okay with crunch not being directly representative of the fluff, so long as it's done in an effort to make the crunch is easier to understand and thus the game easier to get into.

Yeah but like Traitor Legions and 30k doing Alpha Legion right, we get this?

You had it up there, guys. All you had to do was snap it off.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    What was Alpha Legion's thing in the Traitor Legions book? wasn't playing when that was around

• Options
    So I guess the Iron Warriors strategem was revealed on FB. 1 cp for 6+ fnp for a unit.

Bleh. Kind of bleh.

I will stick with my EC.

I was going anyway.

Though this does make me feel I am learning more towards loyalist being Smurfs or Blood Ravens using the Raven Guard traits.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So more leaks/people translating French I guess. Take with a grain of salt.
    World Eater Stratagem:
    Cancel a psychic power within 24" on a 4+

Emperor's Children Stratagem:
    Activates in the combat phase. Each time a model of this squads kills an enemy model, he can immediately make another attack with the same weapon on the same enemy unit.

Night Lord Stratagem:
    Activate when a Night Lord unit get's shot: The enemy must add -1 to hit for ranged weapons against that unit in this phase.

Alpha Legion Stratagem:
    ...It's the same as Raven Guard. Same CT and same Stratagem. *Yawn*

He wasn't 100% sure of the Black Legion and Word Bearer-Stratagems.

Black Legion had something about giving a squad rerolling 1's to hit during a shooting phase or combat phase, and an additional rule for Chaos Space Marine Squads (re-rolling 1's to wound as well?)

Word Bearers got to reroll their dices when summoning Daemons. Something more about doubles and triples that he couldn't decipher.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Was gonna do this for $500 shipped out and toss in all the extra bits and things I have laying around. Thoughts on that number? It's hard to be many years removed from any idea of what GW hobby secondary market has become and not be crippled by feeling like I am being a dick or getting my dick ripped off.

Having not played 40k for years... the new edition got me to drag out my old models, but after thinking long and hard about it I don't think I can commit to that sort of lifestyle game and diving back in. I did a quick inventory, could anyone here give me a ballpark or range of what I should be looking for if I were to sell this collection of models. Not looking to make top dollar, just a fair price for both parties cause I no longer have any idea what this stuff is worth. Some painted, some not. Some assembled, some not. In general decent shape but definitely used a lot for gaming and not pristine sitting on shelves. Most of the models are Valhallans from around 3rd edition - with some non-GW Pig Iron look alike models at the end.

Imperial Guard:

2 Leman Russ
    1 Demolisher
    4 Chimera - 1 still in box

10 Arbites - 1 leader, 8 with shot, 1 with grenade launcher

5 Ratlings (old style)

5 Heavy Bolter Crews
    5 Lascannon Crews
    3 Mortar Crews
    3 Autocannon Crews
    6 Vox Casters
    1 Melta
    2 GL
    2 Flamers
    48 Guardsmen
    1 Conversion Lt. (Standard Bearer)
    2 Circle Head Lt.
    1 Chenkov
    1 Commissar with PF and Sword

Pig Iron Valhallan Look Alikes
    1 Converted Commander
    1 Tac Officer
    7 Converted Lts
    20 Troopers - 3 Converted to holding meltas

Any help is appreciated.

@Badablack hit this mostly on the head. I'll just add- pewters generally sell for 60-80% of retail, even used. Plastics 40-60% depending on paint/condition. Nos
    /nib 70-80%.

If you need help selling studd, PM me. I'm the resident reseller, but I've helped a few PA people move some big lots. One PA member moved about $1,000 of stuff through me, if I remember correctly. I do my best to help PA bros get the most bang for their buck in whatever way is most preferable to them.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    All these CSM leaks and no Grey Knights leaks!

• Options
    All the grey knight leaks were quickly investigated and cleansed by the inquisition, with those responsible purged for their crimes. Along with their families, pets, and the planet for good measure.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Guess my Word Bearers are going to be a lot chummier with the Black Legion. That info is awful.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I wonder what's in the book that Thousand Sons and Death Guard can use. The new powers? Warlord traits? Strategems?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I wonder what's in the book that Thousand Sons and Death Guard can use. The new powers? Warlord traits? Strategems?

The last three I think for sure. At least stratagems and powers.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I was finally able to pick up the Redemptor Dreadnought that I ordered earlier today.

I haven't had time to sit down and assemble it yet but man the base alone is freaking enormous.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    This is the chapter color scheme I was talking about. sxfziozftib7.jpg

I was thinking I might do the trim on the shoulder pads in boltgun metal. And the right shoulder pad, the yellow one, will also be quarterex, with a key and a tower (rook symbol) in the yellow quarters of that.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I love the scheme valhalla, though I am just going to say one thing just so you are aware:

People are going to ask if your marines are of the Laker Chapter a lot.

• Options
    I think quartering the yellow shoulderpad is going to look too busy.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Saw this link on Reddit and I haven't laughed so hard for a while.

I'm tempted to name my captain Lettuce Gain now.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I think my favorites are Danatos's profile (more specifically the poster's reaction), and
    the listing of the different factions as "Chaos, Emperor's Army, and Heterosexuals (Xeno)".
    , although
    Brad Angel
    is pretty great.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Brad Angel is amazing

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Brad Angel and his brawl in "warzone" bar.

Also Kevin Space Marine.

honovere on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Man, it sure is nice seeing GW threads fly again. Keeping up the OPs is going to be a hell of a thing though!

A mini has never had to reflect 'exactly what its load out is' but as a common courtesy to your opponent, it's as much a thing as it ever was.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm. I thought there WAS a time when WYSIWIG was a hard rule.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hmm. I thought there WAS a time when WYSIWIG was a hard rule.

I think it was 3rd? Maybe 4th? I never have run into anyone where WYSIWIG was a hard rule though most of my stuff is pretty close.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    There were times it was included in the rulebook as a guideline to follow, but it was never strictly codified, which is why you had heated dakkadakka threas about 'if my opponent doesn't have pistols modeled on all his marines, does that mean he can't use default equipment?'

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    I have only ever run into it in super hardcore tournaments and such. WYSIWYG has resulted in some hilarious things though, like all my previous edition terminators using power swords instead of fists because they changed how power weapons worked. Ironically, it works out for me since power sword termies are cheaper so now I have a bunch of nicely kitted out termies.

Also I believe I counted and I have over 50 terminators now painted.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    So my brain has been playing the how do I play an EC style army.

And basically I am coming down to kind of a mix/match.

The CSM/EC noise marines+havocs+tanks+arty+shooty bits and sorcs are your back line. The cacophony stratagem is huge on this stuff. You put out tons of dakka. You are scary to assault as you can still strike first in a lot of fights.

Your front line though isn't CSM but daemons. My problem is this. Slaanesh daemons are kind of okay at best. Really it is a set of glass cannons. Chariots and seekers can thresh through infantry like mad. Even just daemonettes with their attacks. But it is a lot of 5+ to wound rolls verse marines and other things. 4+ verse guard. I mean if you don't have a herald with them.

Funnily I am looking and Khorne makes fits that hammer. Bloodletters still are 3 toughness but they have a 4+ to go with their 5++. Wound marines on 4+ and guard on 3+. With heralds both are on 3s. They have a permanent -3 ap. Juggs are still great. And Khorne has good HQs that are rather cheap.

The other is Tzeentch. Right now they are already good but shit like the changeling is really great. Like they have a solid kit.

I just keep looking at Slaanesh and am I just missing something or are as daemons go their kit is just not great?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    I mean, if you don't mind incurring the wrath of the dark gods by putting Khorne and Slaneesh units together then sure, go for it.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I love the scheme valhalla, though I am just going to say one thing just so you are aware:

People are going to ask if your marines are of the Laker Chapter a lot.

Or perhaps the Ravens. I thought about that some.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Funnily I am looking and Khorne makes fits that hammer. Bloodletters still are 3 toughness but they have a 4+ to go with their 5++. Wound marines on 4+ and guard on 3+. With heralds both are on 3s. They have a permanent -3 ap. Juggs are still great. And Khorne has good HQs that are rather cheap.
    Bloodletters only have their 5++ (6+ armour). Crushers are the ones with 4+. Also on the first combat round, they're wounding marines on 3+ (str 5)

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    McGibs wrote: »
    Bloodletters only have their 5++ (6+ armour). Crushers are the ones with 4+. Also on the first combat round, they're wounding marines on 3+ (str 5)

Yeah I was skimming as I went. I am just not use to daemons at all.

Still I think I will run this this weekend depending on the Konor mission. First time without zerkers in a landraider in 8th. Because that combo is just a beast. Throw in a cheap apostle and bam. Most units are dead.
    +++ EC (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [128 PL, 1999pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment (Chaos - Daemons) ++

+ HQ +

Herald of Slaanesh: Cacophonic Choir

+ Troops +

Daemonettes: Alluress, 17x Daemonette, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings: Malefic talon
    . Slaanesh: Prescience

+ Troops +

Noise Marines
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 4x Marine w/ boltgun
    . Noise Champion: Boltgun

Noise Marines
    . 9x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 9x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Power fist, Sonic blaster

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators: Icon of Excess, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Chaos Terminator Champion: Chainfist, Combi-bolter
    . Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power axe
    . Terminator: Combi-flamer, Power axe
    . Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
    . Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Power maul, Reaper autocannon

+ Fast Attack +

Raptors: Mark of Slaanesh
    . 3x Raptor
    . Raptor Champion: 2x Lightning Claw
    . Raptor w/ special weapon: Meltagun
    . Raptor w/ special weapon: Meltagun

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour: Combi-bolter, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh, Prescience, Warptime

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler: Havoc launcher, Reaper autocannon

Havocs: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Chainsword
    . Havoc w/ boltgun
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter
    . Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter

Havocs: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
    . 4x Havoc w/ boltgun
    . Havoc w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino: Combi-bolter, Combi-plasma, Mark of Slaanesh

Created with BattleScribe

So thoughts on how this runs. Havoc squad with plasma go in a rhino. Heavy weapons in back. Termi sorc, termis, and raptors are deep striking. The daemonettes and herald are a screen in the front. Daemon prince behind them. I could swap him for a daemon version to give them rerolls which I might do. I like the CSM spells more though especially the new diabolic strength. That is 8 attacks at strength 9 at 2 damage with a -2 ap. That is mean. Also he can hide with the rhino to let me overcharge plasma before I rapid fire it.

Also I would say I will swap prescience on the sorc instead for the fnp spell but not sure. Both are really good.

Also the raptors could easily be warp talons instead. Which again would be nasty.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm looking at the night lords stuff and kinda want to throw down Codex: Spooky Guys. You've got up to 3 stacking -1 lds from being night lords, -1 from icons of despair, -1 from spawn, +1 to wound results from raptors, and can throw chaos furies in there to make them lose extra guys from failed tests. Then there's the assorted psychic powers based on enemy leadership like cacaphonic choir and treason of tzeentch. There's probably some more I'm missing somewhere, but I like that you can seriously mess up a unit without your own casualties affecting things or 90% of armies being immune to morale effects like in 7th.

• Options
    I never realised how cheap Horrors are. I'm seriously considering picking up some daemons to pad out my Thousand Sons, because a couple of Horror units and the Changling are still cheaper than a maxed out Rubric squad. And could get me more CP via detachment shenanigans.

• Options
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the current state 2pt brimstones to survive future updates.

website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.