Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    For some Flyers this gets adressed by getting a better ballistic skill, like the Crimson Hunter. Others get the hover mode if they want to stay still but be more precise, like the Valkyrie. Others just suffer.

Where I find that it really hurts for example is the Imperial super heavy tanks. As soon as they move they hit on a 5+ with all their weapons. They don't even get Grinding Advance for their main gun like the Leman Russ variants.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Do you folks have any bits sites that you like? I'm trying to take some of my 30k mk4 tactical marines and turn them into an assault squad, and need arms and jump packs. Ideally I'd like the 30k mk4 style jump pack (that was one big thruster) which I know I can get from the sanguinary guard kit (by not putting on the wings). I also need to grab arms for them with chainswords and pistols.

I don't need the bits super fast or anything, but I'm based out of the US so getting it from anywhere is fine as long as the site doesn't rake you over the coals on international shipping.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am attempting to salvage my old photos from the mess that is photobucket and I got some cool one.

My platoon of Cadian style Stormtroopers.

yh3e1u7w80y6.jpg

These cool explosions I made

jn8untbabp03.jpg

Still trying to download the Dark Angel pictures.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Scions are cool but all I really want are Kasrkin.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    God damn, I love Tim's armies :)

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    A lot of these pictures really suffer from the lack of quality in digital cameras at the time. Here is one okay Dark Angel picture showing the entire company in action in a apoc game. You can see them stretching across the table in the background.

xatyqtm7afzj.jpg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Devastator chainsword arm is best chainsword arm

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    In all fairness in a universe where enemies teleporting/burrowing/falling on top of you is a constant threat from all directions and the longest range in most weapons is about half a football field I'd want a sword no matter where I was on the battlefield. Gimme a bayonet for my missile launcher too.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    No, I meant that the chainsword arm in the back left of that picture is the arm from the Devastator kit. It is posed in a very cool way; I would argue in the best way of all chainswird arms that are in production :)

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A lot of these pictures really suffer from the lack of quality in digital cameras at the time.
    I am thoroughly irked about how much link rot Photobucket has inflicted on me because I made that account so I could host my warham pics after getting my first digital camera.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Most of my photobucket images were on warseer, so that problem solved itself.

honovere on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    The amount of ways that Imageshack and Photobucket fuck over their users makes me wonder why people are still using them.

• Options
    Laziness? If all your other stuff is already on there and you're just used to it, making a new account somewhere else can seem like a bit of a hassle.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've been amazed every time I realize that Photobucket didn't fold ten years ago.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really need to dump the pics I have on photobucket since it's gotten quite ad happy and I can just post them here

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    In case people were unaware, Photobucket's latest awfulness is to decide to out of the blue ban all remote linking of images (you know, the thing 90% of people use the site for) unless you pay a $399 annual fee.

They seem to be doing it on a site by site basis though, and unless my cache is hiding things from me, this forum seems to as yet be unaffected as long as my signature is still displaying. The hammer could drop at any moment however.

Thing is before this, although their real website was an ad infested monstrosity, if you used their app you could upload pics from your phone camera and get a URL for them in seconds. It was pretty great if you wanted to post something in multiple locations.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    For some Flyers this gets adressed by getting a better ballistic skill, like the Crimson Hunter. Others get the hover mode if they want to stay still but be more precise, like the Valkyrie. Others just suffer.

Where I find that it really hurts for example is the Imperial super heavy tanks. As soon as they move they hit on a 5+ with all their weapons. They don't even get Grinding Advance for their main gun like the Leman Russ variants.

These tanks are not really that affected. Unlike other vehicles they can fall back and fire, can't be tied up in melee and can flamer cheap chaff units within 1" to death.

Yeah your land raider can move and shoot without a penalty, but have fun ever shooting again once your opponent figures out they can keep charging it to stop it ever having another shooting phase (I have done this four times now).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    For those of you needing a new image host, try Imgur. The app is great, the site has basic editing tools, and the platform is meant for hosting images to share (easy to get direct image url)

I have several web sites/servers of my own and Imgur is still more convenient for hosting images.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Just don't browse their "most viral" gallery.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong on All Is Dust on Thousand Sons here.

I get +1 on saves for wounds that do 1 damage. The way I read it, this also works on invulnerable saves - I can choose which save I want to use and All Is Dust just states a generic +1 on the save.

Base save on a Rubric Marine is 3+, so I'm at 2+ against 1D attacks. So far, so good.

Their invulnerable save is 5+, so I also have a 4+ invulnerable save against 1D attacks.

Now mix in an Exalted Sorcerer or Ahriman and I also reroll a 1 on the invulnerable save.

So All Is Dust is pretty damn solid against 1D attacks as soon as AP is involved.

Echo on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong on All Is Dust on Thousand Sons here.

I get +1 on saves for wounds that do 1 damage. The way I read it, this also works on invulnerable saves - I can choose which save I want to use and All Is Dust just states a generic +1 on the save.

Base save on a Rubric Marine is 3+, so I'm at 2+ against 1D attacks. So far, so good.

Their invulnerable save is 5+, so I also have a 4+ invulnerable save against 1D attacks.

Now mix in an Exalted Sorcerer or Ahriman and I also reroll a 1 on the invulnerable save.

So All Is Dust is pretty damn solid against 1D attacks as soon as AP is involved.

You are correct.

I overlooked this until the FAQ pointed it out.

• Options
    10 Codex Books this year with Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Death Guard first.
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    "Codexes"

Ugh.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    10 Codex Books this year with Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, Death Guard first.
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

On the one hand: neat!

On the other: Jesus power armor for days.

• Options
    I'm calling it now. Last to be released, Orks.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I would have gone with Sisters, but I doubt they'll ever make a print codex for them again

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    It looks a little bit like they're going for big book, small book, big book, small book, etc.

Might mean we get 5 large factions likes Marines, CSM, Orks, Astra Militarum and 5 smaller ones like AM, Grey Knights, CSM Legions, etc.

I have no Idea how they are going to handle Eldar with the Ynnari without reprinting a third of a Ynnari book in the respective Eldar faction books. It's either that or a mini-Codex for Ynnari that needs three other books to work.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I have no Idea how they are going to handle Eldar with the Ynnari without reprinting a third of a Ynnari book in the respective Eldar faction books. It's either that or a mini-Codex for Ynnari that needs three other books to work.

Well, the Ynnari could get new units for them specifically.

• Options
    Apparently the new dexes will change point values and tweak stats, which makes me want to put my nids on hold until they get their dex, and I guess I'll focus on my fledgling white scars force instead?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Apparently the new dexes will change point values and tweak stats, which makes me want to put my nids on hold until they get their dex, and I guess I'll focus on my fledgling white scars force instead?

This is the same kind of situation as Age of Sigmar, where your General's Handbook was the quick and dirty "Get everyone functional" while individual books have really added a lot. Blades of Khorne, the book I use for the store army, really makes playing that army unique and very fun. Personally, I would just stick to playing with nids anyway and just expect the book to make what you have better. Especially when you can play with more strategems and other unique things.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't tweaks are likely to be minimal. Keep doing your thing.

This is the equivalent of AoS getting points for everything when the General's Handbook came out and then updating specific factions in their Battletomes. The changes were basically non-existent. All the Battletomes really added was traits, artifacts, battalions, and missions.

I'd really like them to implement a yearly General's Handbook for 40k as well. I assume they will, but I'd like some concrete news.

I'll just bug the shit out of them at NOVA.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

This was kind of assumed. Also everything gets revamps with the generals handbook/chapter approved stuff in December. So you can probably wait all eternity as nothing is really static in 8th as they adjust stuff for balance.

Like for example in the CSM FAQ the reduced the wounds of the Daemon Prince for Chaos Daemons to 8 to match the CSM prince it seems.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Aegeri wrote: »

This is the same kind of situation as Age of Sigmar, where your General's Handbook was the quick and dirty "Get everyone functional" while individual books have really added a lot. Blades of Khorne, the book I use for the store army, really makes playing that army unique and very fun. Personally, I would just stick to playing with nids anyway and just expect the book to make what you have better. Especially when you can play with more strategems and other unique things.

Eh, I get what you are saying but I'm real fiddly and enjoying building and collecting towards finished builds I have envisioned in my head. I wanted to start up White Scars anyway, and the dex for them hits this month. So, I'll still be hobbying, playing, and collecting, my focus will just be shifted.

I can at least wait and see how drastic the changes are or are not from the index to the codexes for marines, and that dex hits this month, so hardly a major diversion away from my nids if things prove to be minor.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

I'm really getting flashbacks to the 2nd-3rd changeover. At least las-plas IG squads are not the brokenest of the broken broken this time. :lol:

• Options

The difference to AoS is the timeframe. A lot of factions in AoS still don't have a book while it seems that for 40k we might have all the faction covered with a first version of their codex within a year.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

The difference to AoS is the timeframe. A lot of factions in AoS still don't have a book while it seems that for 40k we might have all the faction covered with a first version of their codex within a year.

I think they used AoS as a test bed for a lot of these ideas. Fantasy was always a lower pop so they took a smaller risk. And then from the lessons learned they are doing their big money maker 40k. And one of those seems to be don't doddle with codexes and and stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel at the end of the article
    For you gamers out there, one very exciting addition are new rules representing specific sub-groups in many of the major factions; these range from old classics like the Space Marine Chapters or Chaos Space Marine Legions to returning rules for individual craftworlds, as well as previously unexplored groupings like Necron dynasties and Adeptus Mechanicus forge worlds. These will be included in each codex.
    They are going to take up a lot of room talking about making your own and what you can and cannot do painting hints and so on

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Holy bad format choices batman!

So the Stormhawk Interceptor and the Stormtalon Gunship both have the "Interceptor" special rule.

the Stormhawk's interceptor rule reads: " You can add 1 to hit rolls for this model when targeting an enemy in the Shooting phase that can Fly."

The Stormtalon's interceptor rule reads: "You can add 1 to hit rolls for this model when targeting an enemy in the Shooting phase that CANNOT Fly." (Emphasis mine.)

Just checked the FAQ/Errata and this phrasing was not changed.

Come on GW, meet me halfway here man!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, one of them should be renamed strafing run or similar but the rules are in line with the roles of the craft they are attached to.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    What really is bad formatting is hiding equipment that you have to pay points for in the abilities section of the datasheets.

For example the Company Champion's combat shield according to the Imperium 1 FAQ. Like that happens in a lot of unit entries, I think. Autarch Force Shields and Hemlock SPirit stones are listed under abilities, too, and not under wargear.

honovere on
This discussion has been closed.