As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    Yeah orks look good... Also 2 wound primaris and termies are a bit harder to crack than I had previously considered. Then again... termie saves :)

I played a game against some Wulfen yesterday (well, I played my Salamanders against my own Wulfen), and I was utterly astonished at how tough they were, especially since damage doesn't spill over.

3+ invuln, 2 wounds...and a 5+ chance to ignore wounds that get though.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I noticed my basic CSM in cover with 2+ saves were a lot tougher than I thought and my opponent thought.

I think he considered power armor folks just easy to kill bodies. But even my raptors did okay. Though they got wiped by a salvo of 8+ plasma shots from some fallen but there were only 5.

Kind of want to do the power armor tied at some point. 50 power armor bodies walking across the board.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I noticed my basic CSM in cover with 2+ saves were a lot tougher than I thought and my opponent thought.

I think he considered power armor folks just easy to kill bodies. But even my raptors did okay. Though they got wiped by a salvo of 8+ plasma shots from some fallen but there were only 5.

Kind of want to do the power armor tied at some point. 50 power armor bodies walking across the board.

I was thinking that list with Loyalist Marines because you can have apothecaries bringing them back from the dead, and the ancient giving them each a chance to attack again as they die. Make it a proper death march up the board.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I was thinking that list with Loyalist Marines because you can have apothecaries bringing them back from the dead, and the ancient giving them each a chance to attack again as they die. Make it a proper death march up the board.

I think any of the loyalist chapters could work with this. But look at overlapping buffs to go with it. Captains, Primaris LTs, and so on for your move forward.

I am working on a reroll smurf list using Guillyman. (Yes I know his name is spelled wrong)

Right now using a cheap captain, lts, and the primarch plus a tech marine in the back keeping up 3 preds and a whirlwind it just looks mean.

Something like this:
    +++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [103 PL, 1998pts] +++

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [38 PL, 747pts] ++

+ HQ +

Techmarine [5 PL, 78pts]: Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Conversion beamer

+ Heavy Support +

Predator [9 PL, 202pts]: Twin lascannon, Two Lascannons

Predator [9 PL, 171pts]: Predator autocannon, Two Heavy Bolters

Predator [9 PL, 172pts]: Twin lascannon, Two Heavy Bolters

Whirlwind [6 PL, 124pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [18 PL, 360pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Roboute Guilliman [18 PL, 360pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [47 PL, 891pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 94pts]: Combi-plasma, Power axe

Primaris Lieutenants [8 PL, 148pts]
    . Prmaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle
    . Prmaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 175pts]
    . 7x Space Marine
    . Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-flamer
    . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon
    . Space Marine w/Special Weapon: Flamer

. 7x Space Marine
    . Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-flamer

. 7x Space Marine
    . Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-flamer

+ Elites +

Apothecary [3 PL, 55pts]

Primaris Ancient [4 PL, 69pts]

Created with BattleScribe

9x Lascannons
    4x Heavy bolters
    Front line of 6xflamers thanks to the combis.

Rerolls of at least 1s to wound but if you space stuff out right most 1s to wound and 1s to hit. Guilly is rerolls for both.

Ancient for the shots. Apothecary to bring back marines or keep the primarch up. Techmarine with a conversion beamer for some damage but also able to repair his set of tanks. Not very fast but lots of fire power.

Also you get 10 cps thank to Guilly giving 3 cps, 3 to start, and 3 from the battalion, and 1 from the spearhead.

No deepstrikes though which kind of sucks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Only thing I'm iffy on is the Lascannons on the Tactical Squads. They are pretty safe, with all the wounds, but one shot at 4 to hit from moving seems like not that great for the points to me. I think I'd shift more heavy bolters on to tactical squads for 3 shots hitting on 4s while moving up and more lascannons on to the preds for stationary fire bases, but, maybe that's putting too many lascannon eggs in one basket.

• Options
    Only thing I'm iffy on is the Lascannons on the Tactical Squads. They are pretty safe, with all the wounds, but one shot at 4 to hit from moving seems like not that great for the points to me. I think I'd shift more heavy bolters on to tactical squads for 3 shots hitting on 4s while moving up and more lascannons on to the preds for stationary fire bases, but, maybe that's putting too many lascannon eggs in one basket.

The key here are the lascannons can be split into combat squads if you want. Use the Primarch reroll with them when you move.

Also 4+ on move isn't terrible. Its basically a guardsman shot. Keeping them together you also get the bodies.

Either way its a lot of shots with rerolls is the goal. Use those auras and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://warhammer-community.com/2017/07/10/tactica-primaris-space-marine-reivers-july-10gw-homepage-post-2/

Reiver preview.

heavy bolt pistol is bolt pistol with AP-1
    2 base attacks +1 attack for their blades
    3+ armour save
    units hit by shock grenades don't get to overwatch and a -1 to hit debuff.
    units in close combat with them and units within 3inches of that combat are 1- morale.

So yeah, Imperial Banshees, but more.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    honovere wrote: »
    https://warhammer-community.com/2017/07/10/tactica-primaris-space-marine-reivers-july-10gw-homepage-post-2/

Reiver preview.

3+ armour save
    units in close combat with them and units within 3inches of that combat are 1- morale.

I'm unreasonably annoyed that they have the same defensive statline as regular Primaris marines.

Also... man, if this is the new direction of 40k artwork...
    40kReiverTacticaArt.jpg

Woof.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Guy in the back just tripping over his feet.

edit: So far I haven't really seen huge drawback of taking Reivers over Intercessors if the Reivers can also take Bolters?

honovere on
  • Options

Reiver preview.

3+ armour save

I'm unreasonably annoyed that they have the same defensive statline as regular Primaris marines.

40kReiverTacticaArt.jpg

Woof.

Their point pdf is up as well on the site also includes the Primaris captain and librarian.

Captain minus wargear is 87 pts, Libby is 93. And reavers are 18 pts per model with units of 5-10.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Guy in the back just tripping over his feet.

edit: So far I haven't really seen huge drawback of taking Reivers over Intercessors if the Reivers can also take Bolters?

I assume they cost more points because they are just Intercessors with more abilities and more weapon options?

Also they might be limited to a squad of 3 instead of a squad of 5. Though that isn't much of a penalty this edition, generally a benefit.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    40kReiverTacticaTerrain.jpg

Their poses are reaaaaally stiff looking, considering the whole bigmarine proportions. Their hips and legs are... not how people use hips and legs.

website_header.jpg
  • Options

Reiver preview.

3+ armour save

40kReiverTacticaArt.jpg

Woof.

Their point pdf is up as well on the site also includes the Primaris captain and librarian.

Captain minus wargear is 87 pts, Libby is 93. And reavers are 18 pts per model with units of 5-10.

Wait wait wait.

They are less points per model than an Intercessor and get variable squad size?!

What the hell GW?

Maybe things will make more sense when the Space Marine Codex rolls out and we aren't using Indexes but still, what the heck?

• Options

Reiver preview.

3+ armour save

40kReiverTacticaArt.jpg

Woof.

Wait wait wait.

They are less points per model than an Intercessor and get variable squad size?!

What the hell GW?

Maybe things will make more sense when the Space Marine Codex rolls out and we aren't using Indexes but still, what the heck?

PDF if you want to see

The only thing is range. The pistols probably have a way shorter range than new bolt rifles at 30 inches.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Reiver preview.

3+ armour save

40kReiverTacticaArt.jpg

Woof.

Wait wait wait.

What the hell GW?

PDF if you want to see

The only thing is range. The pistols probably have a way shorter range than new bolt rifles at 30 inches.

Yes, but based on the art and preview text, Reavers can also take bolt rifles, which cost 0 to take in the index.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Do we know how many Reivers are in a squad? If it's 3-6 I think I'll grab the easy to build kit for sure, but if it's 5 then this will just be awkward and I'll have to wait for a proper kit anyway.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Do we know how many Reivers are in a squad? If it's 3-6 I think I'll grab the easy to build kit for sure, but if it's 5 then this will just be awkward and I'll have to wait for a proper kit anyway.

See the pdf, 5-10.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a link or reference to all the idiomatic phrases of 40k? Things like "Suffer not the Alien" and "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt" and the like?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    My beef with primaris marines is they don't have big dumb jnco jeans legs

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

See the pdf, 5-10.

Yea thread was just moving a bit fast for me, lol. I do enjoy their whole skull grin aesthetic, though, I'll probably pick up a squad at least.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have a link or reference to all the idiomatic phrases of 40k? Things like "Suffer not the Alien" and "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt" and the like?

dawn of war is a pretty good source for those quotes. Here's just a few after googling.
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Dawn_of_War

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I wonder what Force Org slot the Reivers are. They seem to be statted and costed as Troops, but their gear and special rules strike me as Elite type stuff.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The new Primaris look like a Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare box cover.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Interesting, the box continues rules to use them as 3 man squads, apparently, same for the Intercessors

Edit: And sigh, more elites, every unit I like is Elite or Fast Attack, I'm never going to get those CPs!

fs-7.jpg

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2017

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Portal:Quotes

edit:
    looks like Reivers are indeed elites. You can see part of the symbol behind the Nurgle artwork.

honovere on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Is there a schedule for codex releases?

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Is there a schedule for codex releases?

https://warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/your-codex-is-coming-july-5gw-homepage-post-1/

Ten books this year with Space Marines within a month, shortly followed by CSM, Grey Knights, and Death Guard.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Cool, I feel safe in assuming Tyranids will be this year then.

• Options
    Is there any sort of standard color schemes to identify Inquisitorial troops? Wife is putting together some Tempestus that are supposed to be part of her Greyfax's forces and is trying to decide what colors to use. I thought Red/black/gold was standard, but some light image searching isn't giving me anything that great.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    My old cynicism has me thinking it'd be very easy for GW to release ten different power armor codexes. Maybe Chaos daemons, since Chaos is the new big focus this edition.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    My old cynicism has me thinking it'd be very easy for GW to release ten different power armor codexes. Maybe Chaos daemons, since Chaos is the new big focus this edition.

We know some of the first ones. Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Grey Knights, and Death Guard are some of the first up on tee. So you are pretty much right.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I asked this question once before and it was answered but I'm still not getting it. An Inquisitor: You can take one at no CP penalty (or as an HQ to IG?), or you'd have to take the single inquisitor as the special detachment that gives -1CP?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I asked this question once before and it was answered but I'm still not getting it. An Inquisitor: You can take one at no CP penalty (or as an HQ to IG?), or you'd have to take the single inquisitor as the special detachment that gives -1CP?

If its an HQ and has the Imperium keyword you can take it at no penalty. If you have a slot in your attachment.

You just need one of those keywords to match for the whole army.

Chaos, Imperium, Ork, and so on.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I am kind of curious if GW is pushing aside space marines in favor of the new Primius ones?

• Options

If its an HQ and has the Imperium keyword you can take it at no penalty. If you have a slot in your attachment.

So, for example, Battlescribe organizes detachments with Inquisition and IG as wholely separate. Is Battlescribe just wrong?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Battlescribe is a little funky but you can in fact make correct detachments using all <Imperium> stuff, for example.

Google for it and you'll find the answer, that's what I did.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options

So, for example, Battlescribe organizes detachments with Inquisition and IG as wholely separate. Is Battlescribe just wrong?

Its how you build out battlescribe libraries that makes it funky.

If you combined all the Imperium into just say Imperium you could build them out just fine. And this is how the rules work.

To quote the rule book for matched play:

"All of the units in matched play army, with the exception of unaligned (these exist?), must share a faction key word. (e.g.Chaos or Imperium)"

For battle forged:

"Detachments require all units to be from the same faction....For example a Space Marine is Imperium and Adeptus Astartes so it is part of both factions. Its detachment can have units from either or both of those"

Also an example:

The Imperium army I played on Sunday had: Space Marine Scouts, IG, Cypher, and The Fallen as all have the Imperium key word.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Still I am kind of curious if GW is pushing aside space marines in favor of the new Primius ones?

Primaris models will almost definitely replace the current SM range over the next few years.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Primaris models will almost definitely replace the current SM range over the next few years.

I think you are right and it bums me out as I think primaris are a huge step in the wrong direction gameplay wise. Or rather in a direction i don't personally enjoy.

• Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    Just got in my 3rd 1500 point game with my death guard, 2-1 so far. Today's felt especially mean, with a melta gun (outside melta bonus range) getting off the 6 wounds to pop a venerable dread, a smite going off on 12 for the 6 remaining wounds on his other dread AND shryke + librarian failing a charge, allowing my poxwalkers to eat 4/5 of his veteran assault marines. Nurgle has smiled upon me.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
This discussion has been closed.