As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Zelda] thread broke! Time to use the good weapons, I guess.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Boy

I waited to do the dungeons last and now I wish I'd gotten them out of the way early because they're really bringing me down on the game as a whole, these are so sad

They definitely feel like proof of concepts for more interesting longer dungeons

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    And it contradicts events in the game itself, so no.

Yeah lets wait for an actual Nintendo approved translation. Im an old hand at this stuff and fans always fuck up something despite their best efforts

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't like it because I want anju and kafei et al to go on living their lives

and also link's awakening did it already

And again, the game is pretty clear about the skull kid being from Termina to begin with I thought.

I dunno about that, I always read it as the Skull Kid being one of the ones you can meet while running around the Lost Woods in OoT. (And possibly also the one you run into in Twilight Princess.)

He is, but in one of the stories Anju's grandma tells you he was originally from Termina and left soon after the Giants do. He returns to Termina sometime after Link starts his quest in OoT, and is there long enough to befriend Tatl and Tael.

Skull kid is very, very old.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Skull kid is a dimension hopping trickster demigod

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Are you sure that wasnt' just an early iteration of the stamina wheel as a bar

That would be strange because they're using the same wheel Skyward Sword had

It probably had to do with the Sheikah Slate and maybe the other powers

If the bar was blue, I'd buy that.

But the bar is green.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I've only peeked into Hyrule Castle but (mild mechanics spoilers)
    what little I saw was way better than the two dungeons I've done (Vah Nabooris and Vah Ruta) because it feels like an enclosed version of the rest of the game. You can climb on walls, there are enemies you're used to fighting, and you have to use your runes. Putting all of that in rooms and hallways changes how you use those same mechanics, though, so it doesn't feel like more of the same.

I really want them to Majora's Mask this game and put in more dungeons like that.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    And yeah, I really like the idea that the Twilight Princess Skull Kid is the same one from MM who's guarding the Master Sword as a kind of repentance for the shit he put that Link through.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I wish this game had some kind of Bunny Hood set. Move Speed Up on each piece, with a set bonus of halved stamina for running, similar to how the Climbing Gear and Zora Armor are set up.

Just let Link nyerm everywhere at maximum speed.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I am reminded of a conversation wherein it was put forth that Hyrule Historia, as the latest word from the creators, was more canonical than the games themselves on issues where the two sources conflicted.

pffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Gotta say the only part of the game I'm not enjoying aside from cooking are the dungeons

I'm leaving them and coming back after a few dozen shrines as they just kind of boring

Thankfully they seem very short

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I mean you got stuff like the king's dialogue in wind waker which apparently alludes to the triforce breaking because link left Hyrule, rather than leaving the timeline

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Breath of the wild is probably a simulation run by the sheikah anyways to test contingencies

"Alright Link, you need to learn the skills of your ancestors by going into the Animus..."

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Boy

I waited to do the dungeons last and now I wish I'd gotten them out of the way early because they're really bringing me down on the game as a whole, these are so sad

They kinda stink. I've done a couple shrines that felt more in depth than the Rito dungeon.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Also (more dungeon talk)
    They aren't even that much bigger than shrines. They're just, like, differently gimmicked, slightly bigger shrines instead of shrines being bite-sized dungeons. Another thing about Hyrule Castle, and this is something I was hoping for out of an open world Zelda, is that it has multiple entrances and you can come and go so learning the layout is actually valuable. The dungeons proper are so small that in pressing buttons on the map to figure out how the gimmick worked I solved most of the problems incidentally, there isn't too much figuring out going on. There was a bit more figuring with Nabooris so that's why I liked it more than Ruta

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Breath of the wild is probably a simulation run by the sheikah anyways to test contingencies

"Alright Link, you need to learn the skills of your ancestors by going into the Animus..."

If we want to dive on this:
    the sheikah create a worldstate where all their contigencies have failed spectacularly, the worst possible case scentric
    They program a subroutine to spawn a new link with the memories of his predecessor and/or to regenerate the old one depending on circumstances and see what the outcome is

It also could explain time line and geographical shenanigans as speculative errors by the sheikah of the ancient past

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The horse animations in Breath of the Wild are really nice, even down to little things like how Link shifts his weight in the saddle or tugs the reins in different directions.

The sounds, too, like how you can hear the horse breathing in a canter.

This game might be better on headphones

All of the sound cues in this game are fantastic

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Almost at the end of that Skyward Sword LP I'm watching.

The final dungeon being a sliding block puzzle full of reused environments and enemies is kind of a pretty good summation of all the bad parts of that game, in'it?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I loved the sliding block puzzle dungeon

It's like a boss rush in Mega Man but for environments

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Almost at the end of that Skyward Sword LP I'm watching.

The final dungeon being a sliding block puzzle full of reused environments and enemies is kind of a pretty good summation of all the bad parts of that game, in'it?

Yeah especially considering that the time between the previous dungeon and that one is like 10 hours

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Let me check my metrics here... yeah. Yeah, all right.

The Sky Temple in Skyward Sword is good.

And... the same metrics say that the dungeons in Breath of the Wild are also good, just different

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I still don't get the hate for tadtones, like, I wouldn't call them a high point but it was fun to explore the area in a different way and it didn't take very long

I would call the stealth mission a high point, though, that was really fun

I don't remember off hand what they changed with Lanayru though...

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I still don't get the hate for tadtones, like, I wouldn't call them a high point but it was fun to explore the area in a different way and it didn't take very long

And I would call the stealth mission a high point, that was really fun

I don't remember off hand what they changed with Lanayru though...

Lanayru's the one section that doesn't change the main area, unless you count the Silent Realm.

Instead, each time you go there for a story thing, you explore a different area. When you're searching for Zelda, you explore the mining facility. When you're searching for the flame, you go to the sand-sea. And when you are tracking down the Song, you go to the canyon where the thunder dragon can be found.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Right! That's the area with the pits and going around on minecarts right? That was also good

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I do really wonder if they'll remake SS for the Switch to tweak the pacing and, of course, alter the controls.

I think they could rework the controls to have sections where you hold down a button to aim the sword swings with a joystick (like the Blade Mode sections of MG Revengeance or something similar). It'd be a lot of work, but it could be done.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I hate this Yiga hideout stealth section so fucking much

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I just did it last night.
    They really should have just let you save in there.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I
    threw a single banana for all of the Yiga stuff

Also I got caught once

But I just wore the stealth suit and climbed on walls and nobody saw me

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I just flew everywhere and shot down the banannas where I couldnt. You should never be ground level

• Options
    Is it even possible to fight your way out of that if you get caught? Seemed like they just kept spawning more enemies in and they just one-shot you.

• Options
    I didn't stealth that section and just killed everyone

I got cool swords

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Is it even possible to fight your way out of that if you get caught? Seemed like they just kept spawning more enemies in and they just one-shot you.

Nah their bows have a crazy attack mod and wind vaccums ignore defense. Youll succumb eventually

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Yes, I did it

The big guys will one shot you but also they're slow

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the fun thing with zelda time lines is that serveral games say they're the last one, but they clearly can't be, but also they're fun and I don't care.

give me a BotW mode where i play as Linkle instead of link.

• Options

Nah their bows have a crazy attack mod and wind vaccums ignore defense. Youll succumb eventually

That's not true, you definitely can

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    the fun thing with zelda time lines is that serveral games say they're the last one, but they clearly can't be, but also they're fun and I don't care.

give me a BotW mode where i play as Linkle instead of link.

You explore everywhere in the world before making it to Hyrule Castle.

Checks out.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

That's not true, you definitely can

Yeah it's a PITA but you can do it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The more I think about it, the less I like the ten thousand years ago thing with the guardians. It puts the whole Zelda timeline on a ridiculously long timescale, where it was all pretty vague before.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What bugs me about the plot is
    10,000 years ago, they did the Guardians and the Divine Beasts and it worked

100 years ago, they did the Guardians and the Divine Beasts and it didn't work

Present day, they just went ahead and did it again but it worked this time

Maybe get a new plan?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the less I like the ten thousand years ago thing with the guardians. It puts the whole Zelda timeline on a ridiculously long timescale, where it was all pretty vague before.

I'm fine with the ridiculously long timescale because it doesn't present the world as perpetually medieval

though it would be fun to play a game in the technologically advanced era

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Why doesn't batman Link just shoot the Joker Gannon?

This discussion has been closed.