Options

The [Zelda] thread broke! Time to use the good weapons, I guess.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    -Tal wrote: »
    Apparently the 30th anniversary zelda encyclopedia has a different timeline than Hyrule historia so yes they were absolutely making it all up the whole time

No it doesn't

Big image is big
    zelda-timeline__large.jpg

Got a big ol "since 2011" tag right there at the top. It's just a supplement to put in the new games (and also the HD remakes cause hey remember those are a thing you should buy em) that have come out since Hyrule Historia.

Only really new info we get is that apparently Ganondorf had free reign over Hyrule for a while in the Hero Loses branch, and that Triforce Heroes takes place only a few years after Link Between Worlds.
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Also termina was made by skull kid using the power of majoras mask and disappears after he and link leave???

pfffffffff what?

I don't believe you.

It looks like just a poor choice of wording. It certainly seems to vanish if you get the bad ending in MM. Also the game itself contradicts that because Skull kid is in Terminia in the distant past, leaves, and comes back before he ever gets Majora's Mask.
    Apparently the 30th anniversary zelda encyclopedia has a different timeline than Hyrule historia so yes they were absolutely making it all up the whole time

the resolution timeline wanters deserve

I don't know why people hate someone else enjoying a thing that does not impact the series one bit if you don't care about it, but it sure is a real bummer every single time it comes up.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    BotW Ending:
    Maaaaan when that triumphant reprise of the main theme kicks in while firing the Bow of Light at Dark Beast Ganon, I had a big, dumb grin on my face. That's exactly what I was expecting Skyward Sword to do, a rocking all-out reprise of the Ballad of the Goddess, but it never did. I'm a huge sucker for the triumphant reprise praising your efforts, like in the finale of the Persona games.

Also just dumping 25 Ancient Arrows into Calamity Ganon after stockpiling them for the whole game was so satisfying.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I can not do boss battles on the tablet

I keep accidently aiming incorrectly by moving the screen =p

You can turn off the motion controls. I did because they are pants when doing shooting.

If it wasn't for motion controls I don't think I'd ever hit anything with arrows.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is it just me or do all boss battles essentially turn to, fire arrows at it non stop?

Also I was out adventuring today and saw one of giant skeletons that you beat and get neat stuff from, except it was day time and I couldn't battle him.

I could however see a sweet sword inside his ribcage, and thought, yeah, I could go for one of those.

So with my magnet thing i.e. I activated it pulled the sword out of his ribcage and kept going.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Is it just me or do all boss battles essentially turn to, fire arrows at it non stop?
    My first two were very much like that. Number Three didn't let me get away with it, which was nice.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    The Rito kids are adorable.

Also that armor they sell looks dope with the Hylian hood.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Hey, I finally found that wooden bridge that's in all the trailers!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    The Rito kids are adorable.

Also that armor they sell looks dope with the Hylian hood.
    Rito children are hideous! They look like...badly-off-model DuckTales characters or something. They don't look like they belong in the same world as everyone else.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I am very sorry that you feel that way, Wyvern.

I think they're adorable as all hell, and they make Rito village a lot more fun.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I'm talking about the Japanese encyclopedia released earlier this month, which changes oracles to star a different link and take place well after link's awakening, and says that the mask created the world from the skull kid's memories of hyrule

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ok well that makes way less sense than the hyrule historia which makes a pretty big asspull with the third timeline but otherwise makes sense, so I'm gonna ignore it

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Speaking of termina there was a part of me that really really hoped there was some obscure rabbit hole in the lost woods

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm talking about the Japanese encyclopedia released earlier this month, which changes oracles to star a different link and take place well after link's awakening, and says that the mask created the world from the skull kid's memories of hyrule

Got a link? I couldn't find anything besides that picure I posted and some untranslated pictures of I guess what you're talking about.

The LttP -> Oracles -> Link's Awakening part of the time line is definitely the part they most retconned to work, so them changing that part I understand. Or not retconned I guess. Flubbed? Least supported by the games themselves I suppose.

The Skull Kid thing is turbo dumb and I'm choosing to ignore it though.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    shrine quest: labyrinth
    So I freaking loved this shrine. Did I miss anything hidden in it if I just kind of...climbed up a column, flew to the end, and jumped to the stairs?

I found the giant flame blade in the shrine area.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    shrine quest: labyrinth
    So I freaking loved this shrine. Did I miss anything hidden in it if I just kind of...climbed up a column, flew to the end, and jumped to the stairs?

I found the giant flame blade in the shrine area.
    There's a few chests strewn around the labyrinth but the great flame blade is the best thing in there afaik

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Just for fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypR03D1nISA

Boy this game they're showing here is only like 30-40% of the game we actually got, huh

hey look at that magic meter that wasn't in the game! who knows what that was for!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I'm really glad they scrapped the magic meter ever since Twilight Princess. I never used the elemental arrows in the older Zeldas just because I might need them later on.

By the end of BotW, I had 60+ Ice and Shock Arrows, plus 30ish Fire and Bomb Arrows. I was using them throughout the entire game since they weren't hard to come by. I prefer that approach a lot more.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I bet the magic meter was for the shiekah slate powers, but they went with individual timers instead.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I am reminded of a conversation wherein it was put forth that Hyrule Historia, as the latest word from the creators, was more canonical than the games themselves on issues where the two sources conflicted.

For these same people, I would assume that the new timeline would be similarly more and newly canonical

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Are you sure that wasnt' just an early iteration of the stamina wheel as a bar

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I am reminded of a conversation wherein it was put forth that Hyrule Historia, as the latest word from the creators, was more canonical than the games themselves on issues where the two sources conflicted.

For these same people, I would assume that the new timeline would be similarly more and newly canonical

The games themselves barely say anything about the timeline though

Edit: shit, I forgot who I was talking to

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I made my way up to Rudania today, it wasn't as exciting as getting to Ruta but it was still fun

Now I'm gonna go resupply (ie spend 10 minutes slowly cooking) and then knock it out

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Edit: Jesus Christ, I am apparently in a mood this morning, sorry guys

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Are you sure that wasnt' just an early iteration of the stamina wheel as a bar

That would be strange because they're using the same wheel Skyward Sword had

It probably had to do with the Sheikah Slate and maybe the other powers

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    So Breath of the Wild is essential the latter half of a more traditional Zelda story, post-twist, that's been made into an entire game. The pre-twist story is stuff we only see in bits and pieces.

There's something to be said about the synergy, there, between the series's tendency to give you just enough about characters to weave your own narratives and that they've taken fully half the story and are feeding it to you in the same way.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    My thoughts on this game a few days out from finishing it

Light gameplay and discovery spoilers but mostly just spoilers for length
    Overall, I had a ton of fun with it. This game does moment to moment gameplay in a way that puts every other open world game I've played to shame. It's impossible to stay focused on any specific task, not because it's boring but because you're constantly being distracted by new different things. Everywhere you turn there's a new shrine to move toward, a new hill to crest, a new NPC to talk to, a new enemy camp to assault. I had so many moments where I studied the map, thought "this area looks interesting, I'll head there," and then 2 hours later realized that I had somehow ended up on the complete opposite side of the map. This is the part of the game that they obviously put the most work into, and it paid off. Just running around environments in this game is a delight, which is complemented by the art direction. When the sun is out and the grass is blowing in the wind this game is gorgeous. Yknow, when the frame rate manages to keep up with the game. But seriously, the specific greens and blues they use in this game are like the most pleasant color combinations I've ever seen.

Having said all that, I think they made a LOT of concessions to make that core element work as well as it does. The weapon system is fine, but you reach the top of the progression track way too early; I was rocking a full inventory of royal weapons by halfway through the game. The bosses are uninspired and samey, both mechanically and aesthetically. The champion abilities feel kind of phoned in, and could've been a good way to implement a few more sheikah slate runes to make you feel like you're building a more robust skill set like in previous Zeldas. The zora region has a really great story that makes excellent use of the premise of the story, but the other three regions completely fail to live up to that standard. The dungeons have this really clever puzzle box element to their design, but they're short, small in number, aesthetically indistinct, and recycle the same full body rotation gimmick too many times. There needs to be a handful of more enemy types. Fighting lynels is fun, but once you've gotten the hang of it it starts to get old when there are no other elite tier enemies on the map. The shrines are cool, but they're the ONLY thing there is to find in the game. Every interesting quest, from helping kids with a singing lesson to flying through the sky with a magical ice dragon that you purify with your arrows, leads to a shrine. It makes the world feel smaller and a little less mysterious, because no matter what curious thing you find in the overworld, you immediately know that it's going to lead to a monk waiting for you to find them. The game needed more "holy shit look at that DRAGON" and less "oh hey a ball, what dumb thing do I have to do before you give it to me." The fact that hyrule castle has intensely variable difficulty depending on the amount of preparation you've done is AWESOME, but it also means there's not really any challenges in the game geared to challenge players who have gotten themselves completely tricked out. Rain is an annoyance that you never get a way to deal with. How the heck is there no anti-slip elixir? How is that not the set bonus for the climbing gear? On the crafting side of things, there's about a billion different materials to cook with but only about 6 or 7 different types of things you can make, and the lack of like, a recipe list you can select from is just ridiculous. The story has a lot of really interesting hooks, but it doesn't develop at ALL beyond the core premise. And then you get into the whole transphobic shit in gerudo town and yeesh.

I loved this game to pieces, but when people talk about it as like, a masterpiece or one of the best games ever, I'm not sure I agree. This doesn't feel like a crowning achievement in the same vein as LttP or Ocarina. What it feels like to me, is when a band that's been around for a long time and has gotten stale suddenly puts out an album with a radical new sound. It's rough around the edges and doesn't quite hit the same highs as their greatest hits, but it's new and it's risky and it's bold and it has that spark of inspiration that made you fall in love with the band in the first place. I think this was a really important game for the future of the Zelda series, because of just how much it's broadened the definition of what Zelda can be. Going forward, I expect them to take the ideas that worked in this game, combine it with stuff that worked in previous games, and roll in some other new ideas that weren't explored this time around, in order to make something that's a bit tighter and more fleshed out around the edges. The core of Breath of the Wild is INCREDIBLE, and it can hopefully serve as an amazing foundation to build on going forward. But as much as I love this game, at every turn I can see something that could be better about it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    turtleant wrote: »

Got a link? I couldn't find anything besides that picure I posted and some untranslated pictures of I guess what you're talking about.

The LttP -> Oracles -> Link's Awakening part of the time line is definitely the part they most retconned to work, so them changing that part I understand. Or not retconned I guess. Flubbed? Least supported by the games themselves I suppose.

The Skull Kid thing is turbo dumb and I'm choosing to ignore it though.

it's all in japanese so I'm relying on the translations of others, but there doesn't seem to be much dispute on how it is being translated:

https://zeldauniverse.net/forums/Thread/183385-Timeline-and-other-interesting-tidbits-in-Hyrule-Encyclopedia/
    https://zeldauniverse.net/forums/Thread/183385-Timeline-and-other-interesting-tidbits-in-Hyrule-Encyclopedia/?postID=5881188#post5881188

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It fits in with the themes and tone of MM so I can dig it

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I don't like it because I want anju and kafei et al to go on living their lives

and also link's awakening did it already

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    And it contradicts events in the game itself, so no.

• Options
    koholint also works better as a vague pastiche of link's previous experiences

while termina has a lot more of its own history and lore what seems awful intricate for being all a big dream by the skull kid. unless majora is also incorporating its own memories of its homeland, and mixing it with skull kid's memories of hyrule? idk

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I don't like it because boy does that not seem like a thing Majora's ​Mask would do.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The horse animations in Breath of the Wild are really nice, even down to little things like how Link shifts his weight in the saddle or tugs the reins in different directions.

The sounds, too, like how you can hear the horse breathing in a canter.

This game might be better on headphones

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Breath of the wild is probably a simulation run by the sheikah anyways to test contingencies

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

And again, the game is pretty clear about the skull kid being from Termina to begin with I thought.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Link was right, just like marche

• Options
    The rightest was kefka

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

And again, the game is pretty clear about the skull kid being from Termina to begin with I thought.

I dunno about that, I always read it as the Skull Kid being one of the ones you can meet while running around the Lost Woods in OoT. (And possibly also the one you run into in Twilight Princess.)

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man I wasn't sure how useful Wolf Link would be but he saves me so many arrows because when he spots a meat animal he just rips its throat out before it can even run. Only downside is his 3 hearts if I don't play Twilight HD to get him more.

Picked up the Stealth chest and legs today in Kakariko. Not sure if all armor can drop from chests or if I need to buy it but even with 2/3 pieces I can still get right in the midst of a group of birds before they realize I'm there. Guardians have no issue spotting me from across the map though, which is how I found out parry has unlimited range. So if they pop at me from the max draw distance I can in fact send it right back to them.

I want to start upgrading my stuff so I guess I'll go to this Hateno Village or something? Got plenty of machine parts from murdering Guardians.

Madican on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Boy

I waited to do the dungeons last and now I wish I'd gotten them out of the way early because they're really bringing me down on the game as a whole, these are so sad

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.