As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Iron Fist] The Last Defender

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Three eps to go.

Overall: Fine.

Biggest annoyance: Danny is way too quick to anger / undisciplined for a kid who lived and breathed monastic discipline for 15 years, with a focus on exterminating The Hand.

Examples: [Through Ep11]
    Not killing every opponent in the tourney without a second thought. Or at all!

Screaming at Gao through the intercom.

I feel like this is intentional. The first episode pretty firmly establishes he's a bit unstable when he goes off on Ward. He's got issues.

No doubt on it being intentional; just not what I was hoping to see. Matt has that angle covered. I wanted an unflappably cool operator with a pleasant demeanor and no qualms about killing the (very specific) bad guys to add some three-way juxtaposition there (with Frank).

Disclaimer: Not at all aware of Iron Fist's comic canon or characterization.

Well, the theme of the Defenders group seems to be "these fuckers got issues!".

Danny strikes me as very different from Matt. Matt is just chomping at the bit to stomp some fucking faces in. Danny is almost like a 10 year old who knows kung-fu. He really feels like he stopped maturing in some ways once the plane crash happened. He's naively optimistic at one point and then impulsively rage-filled by turn (although I'm pretty certain this is a normal result for abused children which he totally is). And sort of layered on top of that is this Iron Fist almost comically stuffy mystic warrior stuff that he believes wholeheartedly and naively in the way a child does.

The interesting thing is he just doesn't seem to be a very good Iron Fist. There is continually commentary throughout the series so far on his lack of commitment the way an Iron Fist apparently should have it.

Thinking about it all while writing this post, I really feel like it's obvious they did have a clear idea what they wanted to do with the character. He makes sense and he works. But the writing doesn't do a good job of highlighting his motivations or of structuring the narrative to make those motivations central to the plot.

They sort of shoot themselves in the foot with making Danny a relatable character, mostly because the gap is so wide between what they say and what they do.

Like the conversation on the plane:
    Danny: "Ive spent 15 years learning to be a master of my own emotions" then BAM! not 10 seconds later he is totally freaking out over the plane turbulence. I could understand if he was really trying to center himself, and that it was evident but the trauma of the memories was too much. But that isnt what happens. He literally says he is a master of his emotions 10 seconds before he starts losing his mind and Claire has to calm him down. As a viewer i either have to think he is lying about what he learned in 15 years, or is the worst Iron Fist ever and both of those dont make him a very relatable character. To me, anyway.

He's bullshitting there. He's clearly saying what he should be rather then what he is.

I don't see how this makes him unrelatable.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Iron Fist: Imposter Syndrome, the Show

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Three eps to go.

Biggest annoyance: Danny is way too quick to anger / undisciplined for a kid who lived and breathed monastic discipline for 15 years, with a focus on exterminating The Hand.

I feel like this is intentional. The first episode pretty firmly establishes he's a bit unstable when he goes off on Ward. He's got issues.

No doubt on it being intentional; just not what I was hoping to see. Matt has that angle covered. I wanted an unflappably cool operator with a pleasant demeanor and no qualms about killing the (very specific) bad guys to add some three-way juxtaposition there (with Frank).

Danny strikes me as very different from Matt. Matt is just chomping at the bit to stomp some fucking faces in. Danny is almost like a 10 year old who knows kung-fu. He really feels like he stopped maturing in some ways once the plane crash happened. He's naively optimistic at one point and then impulsively rage-filled by turn (although I'm pretty certain this is a normal result for abused children which he totally is). And sort of layered on top of that is this Iron Fist almost comically stuffy mystic warrior stuff that he believes wholeheartedly and naively in the way a child does.

The interesting thing is he just doesn't seem to be a very good Iron Fist. There is continually commentary throughout the series so far on his lack of commitment the way an Iron Fist apparently should have it.

Thinking about it all while writing this post, I really feel like it's obvious they did have a clear idea what they wanted to do with the character. He makes sense and he works. But the writing doesn't do a good job of highlighting his motivations or of structuring the narrative to make those motivations central to the plot.

They sort of shoot themselves in the foot with making Danny a relatable character, mostly because the gap is so wide between what they say and what they do.

Danny: "Ive spent 15 years learning to be a master of my own emotions" then BAM! not 10 seconds later he is totally freaking out over the plane turbulence. I could understand if he was really trying to center himself, and that it was evident but the trauma of the memories was too much. But that isnt what happens. He literally says he is a master of his emotions 10 seconds before he starts losing his mind and Claire has to calm him down. As a viewer i either have to think he is lying about what he learned in 15 years, or is the worst Iron Fist ever and both of those dont make him a very relatable character. To me, anyway.

...well that was rather the point right? what he claims his training has given him isn't true. he isn't actually the detached Buddhist warrior monk he thinks he is. Perhaps he thought the Iron Fist would give him that, but it doesn't change him like that.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Atomika wrote: »
    through ep 3:
    Ward is only getting stupider (Dad: Go get Danny and put him in a safe house. Ward: Right, get Danny, murder him, make sure it happens where I know you're monitoring everything going on, gotcha), Joy is smart and nice until she is suddenly mean and stupid. Danny is impulsive and has motivations that don't feel very well-developed. Colleen is way too forgiving and lenient with Danny, who is a dirty hobo that invades her space, ignores her requests, and abuses her students.

not really on board at this point
    I fucking love your description of Ward right there. But it is accurate and that moment was so weird. Arbitrary horse shit is what rules this show.

Henroid on
  • Options
    (although I'm pretty certain this is a normal result for abused children which he totally is).

man come to think of it a lot of this show is about abused children/parental abuse and the way people cope with it. Danny needed parents but got only distant (if somewhat kind) mentors. Colleen got an abusive/lying mentor after distant parents. The Meachums obviously got an abusive dad.

The more I think about it, the more this show becomes coherent. It's issues are really the severe lack of polish and failure in getting it all in the right direction. It looks incoherent and messy, but there are some really interesting ideas in it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Actually speaking of Joy from episode 3 or 4,
    seriously. "Oh Danny, I'm glad you're back! Anyway wanna take a buyout and disappear forever again? NO? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU."
    Goddamn his show was confounding to watch sometimes. The individual parts don't make sense, the episodes are okayish individually, but the series on the whole is bad. That's quite a fear they've accomplished.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    seriously. "Oh Danny, I'm glad you're back! Anyway wanna take a buyout and disappear forever again? NO? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU."
    Goddamn his show was confounding to watch sometimes. The individual parts don't make sense, the episodes are okayish individually, but the series on the whole is bad. That's quite a fear they've accomplished.

It makes sense if Joy is taking her cue from Ward, which seems to be the case. It's just weird because it is very obvious that Ward's heart isn't in it, and Joy doesn't see it but it ready to go.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

It makes sense if Joy is taking her cue from Ward, which seems to be the case. It's just weird because it is very obvious that Ward's heart isn't in it, and Joy doesn't see it but it ready to go.
    It would make sense, but Joy is portrayed at that point as
    not fully on board with Ward's harshness, and believing in Danny. Then abruptly when it comes to money she becomes a greedy fuck.
    I'll give the show credit for one thing; it reinforced my beliefs on the wealthy. They are greedy, selfish assholes.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    A buyout that appears to value the company at a scant $199 million dollars, no less. Wouldn't that decimate the stock price?

(IANAFinanceGuy)

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Three eps to go.

He's bullshitting there. He's clearly saying what he should be rather then what he is.

That just wasnt what i took away form that at all. Partially because it wasnt the first time he claimed that, and not the first time he showed why that claim was BS right after he says it.

Now, on its face, i have no issues with that, BUT then i cant figure out why he is the Iron Fist then. Which i don't feel like i should have to wait for seaosn 2 to find out. I spent half the time just asking "who made this joker the Iron Fist? I mean really? "

If he was "chosen" that's fine, but then the show didn't give me anything to evidence that. If he is to "bring balance to the force" as it were, they did a poor job of telling me why its him, and what in the world that even means in context. He isnt a particularly good or consistent fighter, he certainly isnt calm, makes poor decisions, doesnt know how to use his powers (not really), doesnt know what he wants, cant commit to the one mission he claims to have, and cant even maintain his chill for more than 5 minutes.

I didnt HATE the show, but its really the first time the MCU has ever let me down.
    I'm not mad, i'm just disappointed.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Business question

Ep 10ish?
    How would the board even remove the 51% shareholder? Couldn't he just call a meeting by himself and remove the board?

We have aliens, magic, and mutliple dimesions, so I can live with some bizarre finance laws; just curious if that's actually plausible in real life.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Business question

Ep 10ish?
    How would the board even remove the 51% shareholder? Couldn't he just call a meeting by himself and remove the board?

We have aliens, magic, and mutliple dimesions, so I can live with some bizarre finance laws; just curious if that's actually plausible in real life.

Yeah, this really really bugged me too

• Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    Overall, I like the show so far. I'm about 7 episodes in. I like it better than DD S2 and Luke Cage, the later of which I can't seem to finish because the writing is so dumb. IF has some good and bad parts, but something really dumb bothered me so much that I had to take a break. I scanned through several pages, and didn't find anyone mentioning it. Maybe I am crazy?

Episode 6-7 Phone Contact Name Spoiler Discussion
    What writer thought Ward naming his dad's contact info 'Frank N. Stein' was even remotely funny, clever, or subtle? Like, could you think of a more terrible name to keep your secretly resurrected dad's name in your phone? "Not my dead dad' would at least be funny. 'Actually, F's MONSTER, F is me' also better than what they went with.

I get what they are going with, but clearly they should have used the contact name 'Shelly, M' . That's actually attempting to be secretive, not totally obvious.

Also better options: 'Gondorson, F' and 'Spartan, J'. See those are dumb, but at least the audience would get a single laugh out of them.

But the clincher for me was in episode 7, his sister saw the call and actually asked "Who's Frank Stein?" Fuck you Iron Fist show, you don't get to cover your stupid thing by making a character on your show even more dumb than the writing.

Sorry, had to vent.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    Business question

Ep 10ish?

There are laws that protect other shareholders / board members from a 51%er just running rampant with what s/he wants to do. It is brought up, without citation though, in Iron Man.

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

It would make sense, but Joy is portrayed at that point as
    not fully on board with Ward's harshness, and believing in Danny. Then abruptly when it comes to money she becomes a greedy fuck.
    I'll give the show credit for one thing; it reinforced my beliefs on the wealthy. They are greedy, selfish assholes.

oh yeah it is totally weird at that moment, and really doesn't gell with what she says. I think the show tries to make it sort of a mystery as to why shit happens at the start, but it just ends up looking incoherent.

but really it fits with the abused theme I mentioned earlier, small, often ineffectual, actions going against but at the end still going along with the plan. like
    the m&ms. she can obviously just go talk to Danny to find out if it's really him, but she sends the candy because it is something small she can explain. she tries to get around the order, but can't go against it directly.(not a good metaphor I realize.) she backs Ward's plan, even putting more effort into it than him, but at the same time she argues subtly against it.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Business question

Ep 10ish?

I think all of this would depend on the specifics of the corporate bylaws and the shareholders agreement. So while the scenario in the show that played out seemed pretty implausible to me, I guess it's technically possible.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Octavian wrote: »
    Overall, I like the show so far. I'm about 7 episodes in. I like it better than DD S2 and Luke Cage, the later of which I can't seem to finish because the writing is so dumb. IF has some good and bad parts, but something really dumb bothered me so much that I had to take a break. I scanned through several pages, and didn't find anyone mentioning it. Maybe I am crazy?

What writer thought Ward naming his dad's contact info 'Frank N. Stein' was even remotely funny, clever, or subtle? Like, could you think of a more terrible name to keep your secretly resurrected dad's name in your phone? "Not my dead dad' would at least be funny. 'Actually, F's MONSTER, F is me' also better than what they went with.

I get what they are going with, but clearly they should have used the contact name 'Shelly, M' . That's actually attempting to be secretive, not totally obvious.

Also better options: 'Gondorson, F' and 'Spartan, J'. See those are dumb, but at least the audience would get a single laugh out of them.

But the clincher for me was in episode 7, his sister saw the call and actually asked "Who's Frank Stein?" Fuck you Iron Fist show, you don't get to cover your stupid thing by making a character on your show even more dumb than the writing.

Sorry, had to vent.

Better than DD s02?

MADNESS!

But, hey I'm glad you're enjoying it. Seriously.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Depends on which half of DD S2 we're talking about.

The Punisher half? Hell no. The Elektra half? Hell yes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Octavian wrote: »

Sorry, had to vent.

I didn't make the connection till you mentioned it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    They made a huge mistake by not actually showing Danny's time in K'un Lun.

They have him quote Buddhist philosophy, use Buddhist mantra, say Buddhist prayer, try to connect with people using Buddhist rituals, etc. Yet he never seem to follow even the basic tenets of Buddhism. Buddhism teaches people to stop clinging to the past and let go of attachments. Danny does the opposite of that. He has a death grip on his past, he pushes his emotions deep down and bottles them up.

So what's the deal? Do the monks in K'un Lun teach some messed up version of Buddhism? Did they fail to teach Danny any of those lessons? Was Danny able to fake understanding but never actually took those lessons to heart? How was he even able to get so good at martial arts if he failed to learn the philosophy and discipline? Was he some kind of super martial arts prodigy who could learn to fight without learning the philosophy? They barely scratch the surface of any of that.
    They have Danny talk about the physical training quite a bit but they never really say much about the philosophical lessons. They kind of hint at it in episode 6 with the Lei Kung vision/hallucination but was that actually what Lei Kung taught Danny or was it some kind of twisted interpretation resulting from a misunderstanding of the real lesson?

They don't tell you anything about their world view or teachings about how to live life. Even with all the talk about how Danny was being made into a weapon, it's never revealed who would wield the weapon and for what purpose, and Danny never even asks.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

I loved the Frank half so much; but the first thing that comes to mind about DDs2 is
    The hole! Won't somebody please give a shit about The Hand's giant, god damned, mystery hole? Matt? Stick?
    Anyone?

I was really hoping that was going to come up in Iron Fist as some back door to Kun Lun or something.
    Still hoping! Don't tell me.

• Options
    Three eps to go.

That just wasnt what i took away form that at all. Partially because it wasnt the first time he claimed that, and not the first time he showed why that claim was BS right after he says it.

Now, on its face, i have no issues with that, BUT then i cant figure out why he is the Iron Fist then. Which i don't feel like i should have to wait for seaosn 2 to find out. I spent half the time just asking "who made this joker the Iron Fist? I mean really? "

If he was "chosen" that's fine, but then the show didn't give me anything to evidence that. If he is to "bring balance to the force" as it were, they did a poor job of telling me why its him, and what in the world that even means in context. He isnt a particularly good or consistent fighter, he certainly isnt calm, makes poor decisions, doesnt know how to use his powers (not really), doesnt know what he wants, cant commit to the one mission he claims to have, and cant even maintain his chill for more than 5 minutes.

I didnt HATE the show, but its really the first time the MCU has ever let me down.
    He's frequently a great fighter and in control. The part you are talking about is all to do with his parents and half the point of the whole thing is how unhinged he gets about the issue of his parents. He's way more unhinged through that whole section then usual.

We don't know (from what I've seen yet) what it takes to be the Iron Fist but I think he's clearly capable of the martial arts aspect that seems to be involved when he's under control.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Thawmus wrote: »

I loved the Frank half so much; but the first thing that comes to mind about DDs2 is
    The hole! Won't somebody please give a shit about The Hand's giant, god damned, mystery hole? Matt? Stick?
    Anyone?

I was really hoping that was going to come up in Iron Fist as some back door to Kun Lun or something.
    Still hoping! Don't tell me.
    It was a metaphor.
    For the plot. :V
    Edit - Actually joking aside, no it wasn't that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah, there is no way a Japanese speaker would say Bushido Code, just like there is no way an English speaker would say ATM machine or PIN number.

Some of these nits being picked must be dislocating shoulders from having to reach so hard.

In areas where the director/editor did really screw up, that scene where an 'unconscious' body moved its wrists together to be tied up really exemplifies things that should have been removed from the frame during shooting or editing, just like the magic backpack in the pilot.
    Wtf people say this shit all the goddamn time.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how often Anime fucks up stuff like Bushido or even what the fuck a samurai is suppose to be.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Three eps to go.

He's frequently a great fighter and in control. The part you are talking about is all to do with his parents and half the point of the whole thing is how unhinged he gets about the issue of his parents. He's way more unhinged through that whole section then usual.

We don't know (from what I've seen yet) what it takes to be the Iron Fist but I think he's clearly capable of the martial arts aspect that seems to be involved when he's under control.

He doesn't get tested often, and when he does it takes very little to put him out of his element. Again, people were playing him like a fiddle the entire show, and it wasn't because he didn't know the culture, but because he was rash and angry and very un-monk-like.

People watching this show expected him to be Samurai Jack, when in reality he's The Samurai from the same show... a cocky, angry wannabe.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Oof. The comic book co-creator for Iron Fist had this to say. Maybe the series was doomed to start because the comic book oversight / input end didn't give a fuck.

• Options
    Oof. The comic book co-creator for Iron Fist had this to say. Maybe the series was doomed to start because the comic book oversight / input end didn't give a fuck.

It doesn't sound like he doesn't give a fuck, it sounds like he doesn't give a fuck about the whitewashing issue a lot of people have been going on about for ages and that really have zero to do with the actual writing of the show.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

That dude hasn't been any kind of influential force at Marvel since the early 1980s. And he specifically said that he had zero work with or discussion in regards to the Iron Fist show.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Filing this under: Pre-Atomic Humans say the darndest things.

Bonus points for not being able to summon a guess as to what the right word might be.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Business question

Ep 10ish?

I think all of this would depend on the specifics of the corporate bylaws and the shareholders agreement. So while the scenario in the show that played out seemed pretty implausible to me, I guess it's technically possible.

It's possible but incredibly unlikely. The whole premise is actually incredibly unlikely.
    At some point, Danny Rand will be declared dead in absentia, and the law will treat him and any of his possessions accordingly. So his 51% controlling interest wouldn't just be lying around waiting for him. Especially if they weren't his to begin with (they were his parents' shares when they died, and they are only his if they die and he is alive).

And to the earlier points you guys are making, if Hogarth was as competent as she was portrayed, it never would've gotten that far. She would've made so many power plays the instant Danny's 51% was recognized that the board would effectively be his puppets. But beyond that, it is practically impossible for a Board of Directors to remove shares of a company from a shareholder, especially not a controlling owner. It would have to be a ridiculously convoluted scenario where Danny himself is implicated in serial murder and found mentally insane. The BoD only has authority because they represent shareholders, not the other way around.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    also episode 2's depiction of the mental health field made me literally angry with rage

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Bonus points for not being able to summon a guess as to what the right word might be.

". . . chinamen?"

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Question about IF and DD season 1
    When DD1 aired, a lot of people were calling Madame Gao Crane Mother because of their comics knowledge.

However, in IF, Danny was rescued by the Warrior Monks of the Crane Mother.

So I was a bit confused and was hoping for some Gao/K'un-Lun revelation...

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    When DD1 aired, a lot of people were calling Madame Gao Crane Mother because of their comics knowledge.

huh

I didn't make that connection, but it can't be coincidence.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

huh

Gao hints stringly that she's from K'un Lun.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular

huh

I already understood that Gao is from K'un Lun; I only could not understand why the Warriors of the Crane Mother basically have the Crane Mother's troops, the Hand (as told in IF season 1) as their enemy...

I was also disappointed that Davos, also being trained to destroy the Hand, does not know about the chopping-head-off-to-be-sure technique... Or whether he, as a K'un Lunner, also has longevity like Gao...

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

huh

I already understood that Gao is from K'un Lun; I only could not understand why the Warriors of the Crane Mother basically have the Crane Mother's troops, the Hand (as told in IF season 1) as their enemy...

I was also disappointed that Davos, also being trained to destroy the Hand, does not know about the chopping-head-off-to-be-sure technique... Or whether he, as a K'un Lunner, also has longevity like Gao...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSSP8iGR9CE

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that the level of corporate corruption that Danny dealt with was as tame as it was.
    This is a company that was basically willing to lock a dude away in a mental facility and then murder him afterwards just for claiming to be their childhood friend. And then they tried to wipe out all records of his existence -- including burning down a room full of medical records because it's not like anyone else has need for those things -- after his identity is confirmed.

And what does Danny uncover?

The fact that the company is making a profit on life saving medicine. Not enough to actually deny people of the cure, mind you. The board makes it clear that the WHO will pay for it. Just the fact that they're making any profit at all.

Or, the fact that the company followed all environmental regulation but people nearby have cancer so obviously those two things are related because it's not like people come down with cancer just by random chance.

And I guess the heroin trade. But that seems to be all Gao and Harold.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that the level of corporate corruption that Danny dealt with was as tame as it was.
    This is a company that was basically willing to lock a dude away in a mental facility and then murder him afterwards just for claiming to be their childhood friend. And then they tried to wipe out all records of his existence -- including burning down a room full of medical records because it's not like anyone else has need for those things -- after his identity is confirmed.

The fact that the company is making a profit on life saving medicine. Not enough to actually deny people of the cure, mind you. The board makes it clear that the WHO will pay for it. Just the fact that they're making any profit at all.

Or, the fact that the company followed all environmental regulation but people nearby have cancer so obviously those two things are related because it's not like people come down with cancer just by random chance.

You are conflating Rand Co with the Meachums.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

You are conflating Rand Co with the Meachums.

Actually, we do learn later that
    Madame Gao controlled a part of Rand and had her own people working inside using Rand to smuggle her drugs.

Also, Joy hired Jessica Jones to investigate all the other Rand executives, and they're all corrupt.