As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Iron Fist] The Last Defender

1394041424345»

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    It seems really unlikely Iron Fist would be killed off and then not announced it's not really dead if that was going to happen. It be more likely if it was network TV, that's weird. But let's hope.

The actual statement:
    "Marvel's Iron Fist will not return for a third season on Netflix. Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is proud of the series and grateful for all of the hard work from our incredible cast, crew and showrunners. We're thankful to the fans who have watched these two seasons, and for the partnership we've shared on this series. While the series on Netflix has ended, the immortal Iron Fist will live on,"

I am not saying for sure it ends up on disney; but there is a tell a mile away in this; it's not even subtext.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It's like saying Buffy lived on in the comics, but in this case maybe we'll get Danny in the other series once a season. Maybe.

If it was going to go to Disney it have read "...the immortal Iron Fist will live on in Disney's new streaming service coming in 2019!". or something instead of now everyone will assume it's dead and gone mostly. Probably.

Maybe it will and they just suck at messaging/think this limbo-death is a better marketing ploy for now. Hopefully!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So I didn't watch Season 2 but apparently
    Colleen Wing becomes the Iron Fist at the end?

And NOW they decide to cancel the show?

Goddammit. She was one of the only good things in the first season.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    They cancelled Luke Cage too!!!

THAT'S a damn, cryin' shame.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So what would the legal hurdles be for Disney to just pick these shows up? Would they have to pay Netflix anything, or would it just be a case of them just wanting to do it?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm almost certain these shows are going to reappear once disney gets its streaming service up and running.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Disney is never going to put out shows like Daredevil on it's service. I'm fine with Netflix being the Marvel Max of services.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Luke Cage and Iron Fist seasons 2 each ended with huge setups for a third season each so really, what the flipping fuck? Is Defenders 2 cleared for another season on Netflix or no?

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    From what I read Defenders 2 has never been in the works.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So what would the legal hurdles be for Disney to just pick these shows up? Would they have to pay Netflix anything, or would it just be a case of them just wanting to do it?

The legal hurdles would be zero, Disney owns it all

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Luke Cage and Iron Fist seasons 2 each ended with huge setups for a third season each so really, what the flipping fuck? Is Defenders 2 cleared for another season on Netflix or no?
    Part of being in the MCU is that pretty much everything is setting up for the next thing, in the assumption that the next thing will happen. (see also Agent Carter, and probably GotG for the moment).

• Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    It will never happen, but it would be cool if Luke Cage just joined the Avengers.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I think I would rather them cut the individual shows in favor of a longer season of the defenders. Do it game of thrones style where you follow different arcs/characters for an episode or two, all of which are organized around a central arc, with occasional team ups/crossovers as as called for.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Do they? They certainly own the characters and such, but do they own the distribution rights for the Marvel stuff in on Netflix?

I think all the Marvel shows on will be canceled just so Netflix isn’t promoting a competitor.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    The shows all are dead almost certainly. Disney service isn't going to be for adults it seems, and even if it was the shows will be gone for too long/they would have mentioned it when they axed them.

Defenders 2-10 would be awesome, but they shut that down a long time ago before IF was.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Do they? They certainly own the characters and such, but do they own the distribution rights for the Marvel stuff in on Netflix?

I think all the Marvel shows on will be canceled just so Netflix isn’t promoting a competitor.

They wouldn't have the material which was shown on Netflix, but they don't have to. Since they own the characters all they need to do is restart said shows at season X, rehire everyone and continue - like on Hulu, since that would suit the Netflix division's darker content.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    If they're cancelling Iron Fist and Luke Cage individually, what are the chances they're putting together a Luke Cage and Iron Fist team-up show? Eh? Eh?

A man can hope. Get Mike Colter on more television.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The shows all are dead almost certainly. Disney service isn't going to be for adults it seems, and even if it was the shows will be gone for too long/they would have mentioned it when they axed them.

Defenders 2-10 would be awesome, but they shut that down a long time ago before IF was.

Disney will have 60% ownership of Hulu once the Fox deal is done.

• Options
    Netflix would be crazy to let Daredevil go, it's the crown jewel in the Netflix Marvel division and S3 is a return to its roots as a centrepiece. And if Netflix does shutter the Marvel division Disney would be foolish not to continue the show afterward.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Netflix would be crazy to let Daredevil go, it's the crown jewel in the Netflix Marvel division and S3 is a return to its roots as a centrepiece. And if Netflix does shutter the Marvel division Disney would be foolish not to continue the show afterward.

I don't think Netflix gets the say, unfortunately.

• Options
    Well, Disney can continue the show if they want once Netflix lets it go but "Return to roots" matters as much as "total viewers" does to network TV. Not at all! Probably know that, but just in case someone doesn't.

Disney won't continue anything that's cancelled (probably) because anything worth showing (to them, probably) wouldn't have been canceled in the first place. We could get lucky with DD maybe, everything else is done for once it's gone (probably).

Streaming and last minute budget deals have saved a few shows more than normal lately, but it's still probably in the single tenth of a % chance.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Well, Disney can continue the show if they want once Netflix lets it go but "Return to roots" matters as much as "total viewers" does to network TV. Not at all! Probably know that, but just in case someone doesn't.

Disney won't continue anything that's cancelled (probably) because anything worth showing (to them, probably) wouldn't have been canceled in the first place. We could get lucky with DD maybe, everything else is done for once it's gone (probably).

Streaming and last minute budget deals have saved a few shows more than normal lately, but it's still probably in the single tenth of a % chance.

I meant DD is at its creative peak, so likely it'll do good financially for them (its score on RT is 88%). IIRC DD S1 was a hit for them. It's difficult to tell for sure because Netflix doesn't share its numbers, but they were supposedly happy with S1's results.

That depends on why they're being canceled, if Disney wants everything in-house there's absolutely nothing stopping them from continuing them. The main reason AoS hasn't ben canceled is because Disney wants it going, ABC has been trying to get rid of it for years. And that had lower results than the Netflix branch, LC's first season literally broke Netflix when it was released because so many saw it! Netflix might want to cancel them because they didn't feel the numbers were up, or they simply didn't want to give Disney help when they have their new service up.

Streaming shows typically don't have this structure behind the scenes to save them. All that really matters is the will of the companies who own it, which was what killed Constantine and transferred Supergirl to CW. If Disney thinks those shows are worthwhile investment they'll continue them, if not they'll let them go.

Luke Cage also had this after they were cancelled.

Seems like an odd message to give if they don't have any optimism about the show.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

So, why do you think Disney spent big to pick up American Idol on ABC after FOX canceled it, then?

I don't think Disney continuing these shows is nearly as likely as others seem to, but this is a ways too far in the other direction.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I think you might be significantly underestimating how much Disney likes what Marvel has done for them financially.

• Options

I meant DD is at its creative peak, so likely it'll do good financially for them (its score on RT is 88%). IIRC DD S1 was a hit for them. It's difficult to tell for sure because Netflix doesn't share its numbers, but they were supposedly happy with S1's results.

That depends on why they're being canceled, if Disney wants everything in-house there's absolutely nothing stopping them from continuing them. The main reason AoS hasn't ben canceled is because Disney wants it going, ABC has been trying to get rid of it for years. And that had lower results than the Netflix branch, LC's first season literally broke Netflix when it was released because so many saw it! Netflix might want to cancel them because they didn't feel the numbers were up, or they simply didn't want to give Disney help when they have their new service up.

Streaming shows typically don't have this structure behind the scenes to save them. All that really matters is the will of the companies who own it, which was what killed Constantine and transferred Supergirl to CW. If Disney thinks those shows are worthwhile investment they'll continue them, if not they'll let them go.

Seems like an odd message to give if they don't have any optimism about the show.

What else are they going to say? "Fuck Netflix!"?
    Ketar wrote: »

So, why do you think Disney spent big to pick up American Idol on ABC after FOX canceled it, then?

I don't think Disney continuing these shows is nearly as likely as others seem to, but this is a ways too far in the other direction.

Like I said, exceptions exists, but I expect Idol's numbers are much much better than anything on Netflix.

And I'm not underestimating how much Disney likes Marvel, I'm pointing out how shows aren't normally spared once they are gone. If it doesn't happen soon it's not going to. Shrug.

• Options

They didn't need to say anything at all. Who benefits from a message like that?
    Like I said, exceptions exists, but I expect Idol's numbers are much much better than anything on Netflix.

And I'm not underestimating how much Disney likes Marvel, I'm pointing out how shows aren't normally spared once they are gone. If it doesn't happen soon it's not going to. Shrug.

Luke Cage's first season literally broke Netflix website. While we may not have a access to the numbers assuming everything to be awful in ratings seems a bit premature. Iron Fist I can understand, everyone else? No.

This isn''t about Disney, really - Marvel does its own thing in-house with few exceptions (like Gunn's firing), this isn't WB. The decision making process will be Loeb (he runs the entire tv branch), Fiege (he runs the movie branch + Disney stream Marvel shows) or both, depending on Hulu's jurisdiction - which should technically be Loeb's.

• Options
    Sure, they didn't need to say anything. But Netflix said "Those shows are for us to cancel and we’re super happy with their performance so far.” then the next day cancelled Luke Cage.

People say worthless bullshit all the time! Especially on Twitter/social media.

• Options
    No-one working at a company is going to say "We're thinking of cancelling this thing with a sizable fan following" unless they're especially looking for a new job.

Even Inhumans was getting covered in phrases like "We're happy with its performance and haven't discussed its future yet", even when everyone involved knew it was dead in the water.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

That'd be pretty great and very LC, yes.

They really dropped the ball with him and JJ, their chemistry was off the charts.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Luke Cage is the only one of the Netflix Marvel shows that I’m disappointed at not being able to see more of. Jessica Jones was good, but the last season was a chore. The others were ok.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Currently watching season 2 and ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, they cancel this shit now?

It's just getting awesome!

Season 2 spoilers for all but the final episode:
    Colleen has felt like the better main character. I don't even dislike Danny but she is just rad. And now she the fucking IRON FIST as she should be.... and we aren't going to get a season of her being awesome? I am so disappointed.

I know this season did a bit better than the first rating wise but how did it do compared to the second season of Luke Cage? Because man I am actually enjoying this more than I enjoyed that.

• Options
    How do you know that? We don't have actual ratings/numbers on anything, do we?

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    How do you know that? We don't have actual ratings/numbers on anything, do we?

I mean like reviews and stuff.