Options

[Iron Fist] The Last Defender

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Final scene of season 2:
    Danny doesn't have the fist back; he has Orson Randall Iron Fist relics imbued with chi power. It's like he has +5 guns of bullet deflection or whatever.

That's just silly.
    I mean, the whole 'chi-infused gun' thing is silly to begin with but every instance in the Netflix Marvel universe of anything involving chi shows that it comes from the individual. Even this season you've got 3 different people harnessing the Iron Fist and they each get their own color of glow to show the individual nature of their abilities. Danny not only being able to use some other - and notably dead, which is important since chi is explained as life energy - person's chi but also having it manifest in his own signature color runs counter to everything we've been shown about the power.

If Danny doesn't have his power back then the scene was definitely meant to imply that he does so that they can surprise you by him not actually having it back later. And maybe that's the case but, if so, it's dumb based on the internal logic of how the Iron Fist's powers have been presented as functioning up to this point.

Regarding the final episode of S2 / Epilogue:
    Chi infused guns could be meant to represent something similar to the magic infused cloak from Dr Strange, or other objects like that. Which means either anyone can use them, and the teaser is just that Danny found/has something like that, which also ties into what Colleen is doing with her sword.
    ironfist-top.jpg?resize=715%2C551

So I thought the implication from the final minutes of S2 meant (also based on knowledge of the comics)
    The fist isn't something that needs be possessed by a single person. Where Coleen was an ancestor of a previous IF the potential to wield that fist was always there. Danny also discovered he could still use the fist on his walkabout - likely from Orson Randall. While the idea of the fist being passed down through ancestry would be new - it's a pretty common plot point in the comics that you don't "lose the fist" when a new IF comes on the scene.
    The show definitely made it seem like a thing you can steal. Danny can't do it once Davos has it. Colleen and Davos had half of it for a short period of time but both were going to die. This is also why the last seconds of the season are silly cakes because the show shows us that it shouldn't be possible.

Yeah but I wonder...
    If they're going to explain that Davos never actually stole anything. That the ritual just gave him the fist.

Which would also have potential ramifications later for whoever thinks they're holding Davos.

They could also make it so that
    Davos learns that the ritual didn't just give him the ability to steal the heart of the dragon and that he can use it to steal anyone's chi and he becomes a chi vampire.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Look, the fact that the stinger seems to put what we learned about how things work during the season on its head is exactly what makes it such a good stinger. Now I'm invested and I want to know how in the fuck, and so are you. Tune in next time! And so on.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That would be very much in line with the comics.

While I doubt they'll ever get this far with him, in the comics
    he eventually becomes the Immortal Weapon of one of the other cities of heaven, loses his hand, and starts to form a hand of pure chi energy when he battles people.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    That would be very much in line with the comics.

While I doubt they'll ever get this far with him, in the comics
    he eventually becomes the Immortal Weapon of one of the other cities of heaven, loses his hand, and starts to form a hand of pure chi energy when he battles people.

I understand why it's New York central but oh man the tournament in Immortal Iron Fish would have been fantastic first season.

Edit: leaving that typo

joshgotro on
  • Options
    I would love it if they just set up one of the seasons to be the Tournament of the Seven Cities. While you could still weave in the plot of an uprising like they did in the comics I'd be 100% with them just doing a Game of Death style TV show where each episode introduces a wacky new Champion of a city that Danny needs to defeat in a match at the end of the episode.

Then for the final season they do the story of the 8th City of Heaven and end it all.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    But where do you fit in the 5 episodes of Danny talking about his self-worth to someone who has no understanding of his world?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You do it during the fight to pad them out and cut down cost, duh.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I love that the police code for superhuman shenanigans is 616.

Skimming back through the thread now that I finished season 2. But... what reference am I missing with this? The only significance I can think of for that number isn't relevant to the MCU.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I love that the police code for superhuman shenanigans is 616.

Skimming back through the thread now that I finished season 2. But... what reference am I missing with this? The only significance I can think of for that number isn't relevant to the MCU.

616 is the callsign for the official Marvel comics universe, it was named by Alan Moore.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    What's the other non-MCU related reference?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Probably the whole number of the Beast thing where Moore got it from.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Yeah, that wasn't a number he did out of kindness or irony.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Yeah, that wasn't a number he did out of kindness or irony.

Well, that sounds like an interesting story.

That was the other use of the number I was thinking of, but Christian eschatology doesn't factor into the MCU anywhere.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I've only watched 6 episodes so far but reading some of these spoilers would make for MUCH better television, IMO. :)

The actor playing Davos is still, far and away, a better TV martial artist than Finn Jones. So much so that I'm starting to side with Davos that he really should have been the one chosen to face the Dragon and earn the Iron Fist. :razz:

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I've only watched 6 episodes so far but reading some of these spoilers would make for MUCH better television, IMO. :)

The actor playing Davos is still, far and away, a better TV martial artist than Finn Jones. So much so that I'm starting to side with Davos that he really should have been the one chosen to face the Dragon and earn the Iron Fist. :razz:

I still wish they'd chosen Lewis Tan (the drunken master from season 1) to be Danny instead.

• Options
    Finn Jones is bad at fight choreography...

(season finale spoilers)
    But that's why I'm really hoping they just make Danny a side character from here on out. Colleen's fights were all pretty amazing.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Finn Jones was 100x better at choreography than last season. It was passable, even.

Yes, Colleen is better, but he wasn't an embarrassment like in s1.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Finn Jones was 100x better at choreography than last season. It was passable, even.

Yes, Colleen is better, but he wasn't an embarrassment like in s1.

Yeah, there wasn't anything like in season 1 where he picked up the nunchucks and I'm like danny no. No. don't do it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The fight scenes all around were much tighter than last season. The only moment that came across as kind of awkward to me was one of Colleen's fights where they had her slide over the hood of a car.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I really liked that because it was followed by a mook attempting the same thing and completely biffing it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    If this season's showrunner had worked on the show from the beginning, it would have been so much better. But right now, they're doing damage control and trying to fix all the dumb stuff Scott Buck did.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »

I still wish they'd chosen Lewis Tan (the drunken master from season 1) to be Danny instead.

Danny Rand is supposed to be a white guy, raised in an fantasy Asian temple and taught kung fu. I would have been OK with that being updated for 2017-2018, but sure, lets take it as an unfortunate given that Danny needs to be a white boy.

Where there no other caucasian actors who already knew how to fight? I'm sure there must have been!

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Yeah, this was such an improvement over Season 1, they might as well not be the same show.

Whole season stuff (also Luke Cage season 2)
    What they are doing is not the same as Luke Cage season 2; Luke's thing was that he was running up against the limits of his power (being bulletproof means nothing if you can't protect the ones you love) and his anger and frustration led to Claire rightfully leaving him. He retreats from his most important relationships and becomes Kingpin because he doesn't want to be vulnerable to ANYTHING.

Danny
    Meanwhile Danny is addicted to the fist. It's no coincidence that Ward has a NA breakthrough while listening to Danny explain Shao Lau's power, because being high on heroin is known as "riding the dragon." In Danny's case it's literal, though. Powers-as-drugs has been done plenty of times before, but in Danny's case it makes perfect sense. The issue I had with season 1 is that it was clear in the subtext that Danny filled his life with the quest for the Iron Fist to avoid dealing with the loss of his parents and his former life before the plane crash, but they never quite went ahead and said it. This season, Danny fully recognizes this and is trying to find his identity after unwillingly going cold turkey (apparently his identity is to go find former Iron Fist relics like they were Pokemon, but I digress).

It is pretty clear that Danny didn't lose all of his chi manipulation ability; he still heals ridiculously quickly from getting his knee shattered, even with the painful-looking Rand super brace.

I liked that most of the relationships were not tied up in nice bows.

Colleen
    Colleen has to flip a switch in her head from "girlfriend" to "sensei" in order to train Danny, which is very hard for her, given that she hasn't come to terms with how the Hand was using her students. They don't rule out the "girlfriend" switch being flipped back, but it isn't something that happens quickly; Colleen has her own issues to worry about with her investigation into her mom and becoming the Iron Fist herself (fuck yes). She can't nursemaid a manchild with stunted emotional growth while at the same time learning to become a real superhero. In the most inspiring bit of character development, Colleen specifically DOES NOT blame herself for BB's death, because it was that fucker Crank who killed him, but she wants to do better and protect more people.

Ward
    Ward keeps fucking up, but I can see where he is coming from. He keeps making these grand gestures with his money and influence, but the targets (mostly Joy, but also Bethany) rightfully call him out on his shit. It's not about Ward being a punching bag, it's about him finally seeing that he is a narcissistic asshole. It's not always about him. He doesn't want to sign Joy's proposal because he thinks that she's making a run at him (well, she is, but not how he thinks), while Danny, still in the Zen Master mode we saw him in with Luke Cage Season 2 Episode 10, wants to give her a shot at independence. Neither Joy nor Bethany forgives Ward, because he hasn't earned it, nor has he forgiven himself. The pieces are in place for him to stage a comeback, perhaps even be a father to Bethany's child, but he has to break the cycle of addiction and anger that he inherited from his father, first.

I have to admit, I was on the Joy/Davos train for quite awhile.

Davos
    Danny still had a lot to answer for after season 1 and the Defenders, and Davos was absolutely right that Danny had less regard for the duty and traditions of K'un-Lun than he did for his own emotional hole to fill with dragon. If Danny hadn't left, whatever disaster befell K'un-Lun might not have happened... Which isn't to say that Danny didn't stop other disasters by leaving, but if a school crosswalk guard goes on a smoke break in the alley while on duty and happens to stop a mugging, the parents of the children who got run over still have a legitimate beef with the guard. Davos went off the rails for sure, but the Iron Fist was just as much a plug for a hole inside him as it was for Danny; he wanted to make Mommy proud, then all of a sudden this kid falls from the sky and uses shady tactics to win the prize, then Dad has the audacity to call the fight? Once Davos has the fist, he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. He completed his character arc and is casting around for a purpose, drunk on power (Danny never once killed a dude with one punch the way Davos did to Ho; for all of Danny's failings as the Iron Fist, he tempered his power to only knock people down or destroy inanimate objects, but Davos comes out of the gate literally swinging).

Joy
    Joy absolutely has a right to try to make it on her own. The fact that she was in on this revenge scheme doesn't change the fact that her other actions were legitimately directed toward making a life for herself. Obviously the revenge thing isn't defensible, but it is understandable, and she eventually reveals that she went after Danny because she couldn't bring herself to go after Ward.

She insists that her doing the right thing at the end was only because she feared Davos would come for her, but she could've, you know, just gotten on a plane and left until superheros or the cops took Davos down. She put herself in MORE danger to end the threat, and these aren't the actions of someone who is solely self-interested. She thinks of herself as a bad person, she thinks that her family is cursed, but in some ways she is the clearest-eyed person on the show, because she knows that superhero bullshit is not an excuse for being shitty to people.

Mary/Walker
    I don't have much to say about them. Alice Eve did a great job with her, and she was a good foil for everyone. She had the correct amount of menace and innocence; I hope she turns up in the other shows. The character would make an AMAZING antagonist for The Punisher. How does Frank Castle handle a situation where there are dissociative identities? (I'm sure a comic book nerd can tell me).

Misty
    Notice me, Misty-sempai. Nothing really to say here, except that Misty took a few days off at the end of Luke Cage season 2 to decide if she wanted to become captain or not, and she was still on vacation what seems to be weeks or months later. I can kinda see her having months of PTO built up, though; she didn't seem to take much time for herself.

Also... SHE MADE THE KNIGHT-WING REFERENCE I MADE FOR LUKE CAGE SEASON 2! I like the sound of it, too, Misty! The next Netflix show gets to be the KnightWing Detective Agency Power Hour, confirmed.

Frank-Mary
    If she’s killing people, Ennis Frank would put her down as a mercy kill like he did to his old officer who went on a PTSD episode and killed his family. Rucka Frank might have set her up to be taken into custody or allowed her to get caught by the police like the Punisherette. I choose these two since to me they’re the biggest influence on Netflix Frank.
    I'm not sure I agree with that wrt Ennis Punisher. I think he'd definitely go in with the intent to kill her, but I think that the Mary persona might manifest and cause him to have mercy; especially with her resemblance to the woman his daughter might have grown up into.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    We didn't see Mary, Walker or even the third alter even try to kill anyone who didn't deserve it.
    Frank wouldn't care about her. So far.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    If they decide to
    give Mary powers, they could make it so that she was experimented on by Baron Von Strucker.

But they really need to up the budget of these shows if they want to seriously connect them to the MCU.

Nah, you just have them locked up with the
    Typhoid Mary persona.

• Options
    Final scene of season 2:
    Danny doesn't have the fist back; he has Orson Randall Iron Fist relics imbued with chi power. It's like he has +5 guns of bullet deflection or whatever.

That's just silly.
    I mean, the whole 'chi-infused gun' thing is silly to begin with but every instance in the Netflix Marvel universe of anything involving chi shows that it comes from the individual. Even this season you've got 3 different people harnessing the Iron Fist and they each get their own color of glow to show the individual nature of their abilities. Danny not only being able to use some other - and notably dead, which is important since chi is explained as life energy - person's chi but also having it manifest in his own signature color runs counter to everything we've been shown about the power.

If Danny doesn't have his power back then the scene was definitely meant to imply that he does so that they can surprise you by him not actually having it back later. And maybe that's the case but, if so, it's dumb based on the internal logic of how the Iron Fist's powers have been presented as functioning up to this point.

Chi infused guns could be meant to represent something similar to the magic infused cloak from Dr Strange, or other objects like that. Which means either anyone can use them, and the teaser is just that Danny found/has something like that, which also ties into what Colleen is doing with her sword.

So I thought the implication from the final minutes of S2 meant (also based on knowledge of the comics)
    The fist isn't something that needs be possessed by a single person. Where Coleen was an ancestor of a previous IF the potential to wield that fist was always there. Danny also discovered he could still use the fist on his walkabout - likely from Orson Randall. While the idea of the fist being passed down through ancestry would be new - it's a pretty common plot point in the comics that you don't "lose the fist" when a new IF comes on the scene.
    The show definitely made it seem like a thing you can steal. Danny can't do it once Davos has it. Colleen and Davos had half of it for a short period of time but both were going to die. This is also why the last seconds of the season are silly cakes because the show shows us that it shouldn't be possible. We see Orson in the box. Danny apparently took the rest of his stuff and can somehow pump chi into without the Iron Fist. Just let him be good at kung-fu damnit.
    You need to watch that scene in Hokkaido again. Orson sent the corpse. They're looking for him.

• Options
    Final scene of season 2:

That's just silly.

The show definitely made it seem like a thing you can steal. Danny can't do it once Davos has it. Colleen and Davos had half of it for a short period of time but both were going to die. This is also why the last seconds of the season are silly cakes because the show shows us that it shouldn't be possible. We see Orson in the box. Danny apparently took the rest of his stuff and can somehow pump chi into without the Iron Fist. Just let him be good at kung-fu damnit.
    You need to watch that scene in Hokkaido again. Orson sent the corpse. They're looking for him.
    Then I hate it even more.

• Options
    Final scene of season 2:

That's just silly.

You'll like Orson, he's fantastic in the comics.

• Options
    Final scene of season 2:

That's just silly.

You'll like Orson, he's fantastic in the comics.
    Sorry. I meant that I hate the implementation of his gear into the show then. My favorite run of IF is Immortal. I'm all for Orson showing up to mentor.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm getting real sick of how aggressively boring these Netflix Marvel shows have become. I watched the dinner party episode of Iron Fist last night and it's one of the worst offenders of the lot.

• Options
    I liked the dinner party episode! It was one of the few non-action episodes that actually had a central theme. I actually thought they should've leaned into more heavily - like Danny fucks up peach cobbler or something.

Also, didn't we see footage of Orson in action via some sort of old film in the first season?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    That was much better than the first season. Still really only okay, but I like how all the post Defenders series have kind of de-escalated from their first seasons (less the Punisher if you count his DDS2 parts as a “first season”).

This entire season was much more consistent in tone and quality than the last.
    Oh my god Colleen was the right choice to be given the Iron Fist. Her actor is a much better stuntman than Finn. There’s not a billion Taken-style action edits when she fights. However, I think a season 3 following Ward and Danny’s Journey to the East would be great with maybe Colleen continuing crime fighting as long as they don’t drag it out. I like Ward a lot still. He’s like a real guy with real problems and the only yuppie I can stand on television.

I like Mary, but obviously she’s not going to be a thing until later. I’m even wondering if Fisk is going to hire her once he finds out Matt’s Daredevil or something and she properly turns into Typhoid Mary.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Honestly I kind of wish the Netflix shows got out of New York. I get why they are there(tax reasons and Defenders reasons), but Iron Fist is one of those shows that benefits from traveling outside the NYC area. Don't get me wrong, watching Luke Cage actually walk down the streets of Harlem and Daredevil fight in Hell's Kitchen is a big part of the appeal of the show, but..

Kun Lau is one of those places that needs epic mountains and not sets and green screen. Its especially bad since NYC is such a important background in Other Netflix shows. Once you get to Kun-lau it loses its verisimilitude hard. Same with the pathetic trip to china in the last season of IF. They need to spend money and go to the Rockies for some background shoots, maybe a visit to Tokyo/Seoul for Danny's walkabout.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I swear you see a set with a white backdrop complete with equipment at the end of the Iron Fist fight.

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Honestly I kind of wish the Netflix shows got out of New York. I get why they are there(tax reasons and Defenders reasons), but Iron Fist is one of those shows that benefits from traveling outside the NYC area. Don't get me wrong, watching Luke Cage actually walk down the streets of Harlem and Daredevil fight in Hell's Kitchen is a big part of the appeal of the show, but..

Kun Lau is one of those places that needs epic mountains and not sets and green screen. Its especially bad since NYC is such a important background in Other Netflix shows. Once you get to Kun-lau it loses its verisimilitude hard. Same with the pathetic trip to china in the last season of IF. They need to spend money and go to the Rockies for some background shoots, maybe a visit to Tokyo/Seoul for Danny's walkabout.

The trip to China last season was when I knew nobody actually gave a fuck when they made the show.

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »

I get where you are coming from, but Marvel superheroes and New York is kind of a thing.

• Options
    And the west coast in 2014 for some reason

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    And the west coast in 2014 for some reason

Team Pym Family is getting pretty big and varied powers wise.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Just finished Season 2. Really really liked it. It was part apology, part righting the ship, and part making people care again. As for the stinger ending...
    I like the idea they're running with. Make both Wing and Rand Immortal Irons, but link it with something they're good at. Jessica can be Kung Fu katana queen, and Finn can be white Chow Yun Fat. Hell in season 3, if Rand isn't Matrix diving with doves and shit covering the screen in at least 1 scene, I'm gonna be pissed.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Just finished Season 2. Really really liked it. It was part apology, part righting the ship, and part making people care again. As for the stinger ending...
    I like the idea they're running with. Make both Wing and Rand Immortal Irons, but link it with something they're good at. Jessica can be Kung Fu katana queen, and Finn can be white Chow Yun Fat. Hell in season 3, if Rand isn't Matrix diving with doves and shit covering the screen in at least 1 scene, I'm gonna be pissed.
    IDK bro. I found the signer at the end to be cringy af. That whole scene in the bar was embarrassing to watch. The weapon effects looked straight out of a 1993 made for tv scifi film.I couldn't believe they were serious with an ironfist gun. Like, what the fuck man?