As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    So I've posted about a new gpu a few times now but I think I'm just going to go for it. I wanted an RX580 8GB but the budget has shrunk and the prices have spiked so that is not happening right now. I found a 6 months used GTX 1060 card for $350 Canadian with all original packaging from what appears to be a good local seller. It's not priced below par but also not priced above as far as I can tell. It's a Gigabyte Extreme 6gb, but what can I do to verify when I meet with him that it is what he says?

I think it should have a sticker on the backplate or PCB that has a serial, model, and vram on it? I assume I can match this to the packaging? Any other ways to check beyond physical damage?

I haven't done an upgrade in a few years now, what's the current procedure for a videocard replacement? I'm swapping out an overclocked Asus GTX 770 and as far as I've seen the days of driver cleaners etc are gone, so I'm assuming
    1: Uninstall nvidia drivers and software
    2: Power down to swap cards and remove extra PCI-E cable
    3: Boot and install new drivers
    4: Profit??

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So, my desktop currently has one of these plugged into it because there is no way to currently get an Ethernet chord to it. It works in a pinch, but lately it just hasn't been cutting it for me. Any other suggestions so that I can game and whatnot online wirelessly and reliably on my desktop?

Edit: Someone recommended something like this. Thoughts?

What's the problem with your wireless? It should work fine. Unless you're super far away (longer than a normal house) or have steel walls or something else interfering.

Or your adapter is real crappy/broken.

That power line adapter is the go to if you want a mostly wired connection, though.

Neither connection strength, nor speed has ever been really great with the little dongle. I can get around 28mbps(I pay for 60) on speedtest if it doesn't hang or drop connection. Lately it has been getting more finicky, with connection hiccups, taking longer to load pages, download things, etc. I have been trying to download a 98mb file for the last few hours, and it keeps failing. All my other wireless devices work just fine.

Have you ever tried another dongle?

I'm asking what my best options are, be it another dongle or something else that might work better, and let me do some decent online gaming.

If you're plugging the dingle into the back of your PC, it's likely experiencing a lot of interference and signal loss. If you have it plugged into a front USB port, it's possible the port is only 2.0/2.1. Try grabbing an appropriate extension cable and moving the dongle to see if you get better performance.

If that doesn't seem to help, try either a powerline or a different dongle just to see if that's the simple fix. You could also try adding a PCI card with a cable that let's you place the antenna on top of your desk.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Man, I'm super annoyed at the recent spike in video card prices (brought on by demand from crypto currency miners, I've read). I bought a 1070 gtx for $330 about a month ago that had to be rma'd, and I was hoping for a replacement but instead I got a refund because they went out of stock. Now video card supply is scant and when I find a 1070 in stock it's usually in the $450-500 range.

At this point I feel like I'm going to need to wait for the next bitcoin crash to upgrade my video card.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    You would think the market is high enough that someone would design crypto currency mining focused cards.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I don't think (mostly a guess) it's actually anywhere near that high. It's just enough for them to milk their already designed and built cards, because why not.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    You would think the market is high enough that someone would design crypto currency mining focused cards.

They have, been around for years now.

But a few of the newer crypto currencies like Etherium were designed to not run well on asic based systems.

So the cost for someone to design a faster or more effcient miner isn't worth it atm vs. the possible reward.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Bitcoin mining has been dominated by ASICs for years, so what's happening is individuals are mining other cryptocurrencies that are easier. There will probably always be some mining interest by individual market participants, and the alt currencies that are chosen by the community that rocket up in mining activity and price are specifically those that individuals already have the equipment (typically video cards) to mine. As bitcoin rises more and more people jump into these alt currencies. Right now it's a ridiculous frenzy, but fortunately these kinds of things tend to burn out quickly.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    You telling me that people are literally mining a different currency because the other ones are too hard now? So how exactly is any if this stuff worth any money if you can just shrug your shoulders make another currency up?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    You telling me that other are literally mining a different currency because the other ones are too hard now? Do how exactly is any if this stuff worth any money if you can just shrug your shoulders make another currency up?

For roughly the same reason as there are people on this very interweb that are buying anti-zombie ammunition because they truly, truly are preparing for the coming zombie apocalypse. Or are stockpiling ethanol because when civilisation collapses, it's the only thing that'll be worth anything. And so forth, and so on, until infinity.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Wow, even used 1070s are going for big bucks. Maybe it's time I reconsidered trading up to the 1080ti. I had been planning on waiting for the FTW3 to go on sale, but getting an extra $30-$50 for my old card is basically the same thing.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That's pretty much my next purchase. I got my phone, so now I need to rebuild my savings. We'll see what happens, but I figure by the end of summer, if not the end of August. Then I'll 'worry' about a monitor.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    You telling me that other are literally mining a different currency because the other ones are too hard now?

Yup.
    Do how exactly is any if this stuff worth any money if you can just shrug your shoulders make another currency up?

Theoretically they derive their value from scarcity (there's only so much of the popular ones) and "proof of work" (mining), but yeah it's dumb.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    So, my desktop currently has one of these plugged into it because there is no way to currently get an Ethernet chord to it. It works in a pinch, but lately it just hasn't been cutting it for me. Any other suggestions so that I can game and whatnot online wirelessly and reliably on my desktop?

Edit: Someone recommended something like this. Thoughts?

What's the problem with your wireless? It should work fine. Unless you're super far away (longer than a normal house) or have steel walls or something else interfering.

Or your adapter is real crappy/broken.

That power line adapter is the go to if you want a mostly wired connection, though.

Neither connection strength, nor speed has ever been really great with the little dongle. I can get around 28mbps(I pay for 60) on speedtest if it doesn't hang or drop connection. Lately it has been getting more finicky, with connection hiccups, taking longer to load pages, download things, etc. I have been trying to download a 98mb file for the last few hours, and it keeps failing. All my other wireless devices work just fine.

Have you ever tried another dongle?

I'm asking what my best options are, be it another dongle or something else that might work better, and let me do some decent online gaming.

@The_Spaniard another option is a USB 3.0 extension cable so you can put the dongle somewhere other than pointing at your wall.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    dporowski wrote: »
    You telling me that other are literally mining a different currency because the other ones are too hard now? Do how exactly is any if this stuff worth any money if you can just shrug your shoulders make another currency up?

For roughly the same reason as there are people on this very interweb that are buying anti-zombie ammunition because they truly, truly are preparing for the coming zombie apocalypse. Or are stockpiling ethanol because when civilisation collapses, it's the only thing that'll be worth anything. And so forth, and so on, until infinity.

I mean there was a dude not to long ago who wanted to invest his real dollars into bitcoin. (in H/A)

It's a weird cult like thing.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    There were a few people who made a shit ton of money on bitcoin (people have purchased supercars with it), and a lot of people made a little bit of money off of it, and a lot of people have made no money off of it.

If you got in at the right time, and had the right equipment, and had the right situation (as in, weren't responsible for your own power bill), than you could have made some serious money. It took a very specific set of circumstances to do that though.

The people who are mining new currencies now are making the equivalent of $30-$50 a day in imaginary money, and they're betting that value is going to go up in a year or whatever. If you have the right setup and are making $900 a month in imaginary cryptocurrency and it doubles a year from now than you could hit paydirt (assuming you can actually get your "money" out).

What's more likely to happen is diminishing returns are going to make things harder and harder for miners until they're barely making anything, everyone is going to desperately try to cash out, and the entire thing is going to collapse... but for the people who manage to pick the exact right time to bail before it crashes there's likely going to be a decent chunk of change involved. Then, a short while later, the cycle will repeat.

Realistically, what it means for 99.9% of the population is, once again, AMD GPUs are super scarce due to insane demand, but in a year from now the market will be flooded with cheap used RX 400 and 500 series GPUs, but it won't be safe to buy them because they have been run at 100% usage for grossly extended periods of time and as a result will be timebombs.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    So 2 more sleeps till I pick up my Final Piece for the new computer. Ended up going with a Aorus GTX 1080.
    If anyone wants to look over the final build sheet... https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/UseR2006/saved/tFxP6h
    Should be able to start building on Thursday night, Friday Morning. depending how I'm feeling after work!
    Super Excited!

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a good source of info if I want to figure out which Ryzen motherboard can use 3200 DDR? One of the things holding up my upgrade is that there is just enough of a noticeable difference between 3000 and 3200 that spending the extra $10 will be worth the performance gains. There's no real consensus anywhere and mostly hearsay.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Your "best" option is to string a cable from the the router to your PC.

The easiest, and what should be fine, is wireless dongle.

If for some reason those don't work power line.

one thing to keep in mind is powerline seems to require your houses wiring be impeccable, I'm living in a <10 year old place, so all new wiring, have a Tp-Link Av1200 powerline kit which they advertise as up to a gigabit, and between my living room and office, outlets that are about 20 feet from each other I cap out at...10 megabits...

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Your "best" option is to string a cable from the the router to your PC.

The easiest, and what should be fine, is wireless dongle.

If for some reason those don't work power line.

one thing to keep in mind is powerline seems to require your houses wiring be impeccable, I'm living in a <10 year old place, so all new wiring, have a Tp-Link Av1200 powerline kit which they advertise as up to a gigabit, and between my living room and office, outlets that are about 20 feet from each other I cap out at...10 megabits...

I wouldn't say age related, but also how it's run. It's likely your 20ft distance (just an example, I have no idea your situation) includes multiple circuits so factor in a run from the wall back to the breaker panel for each. Do the wires cross at 90° in the wall like I believe they should or are there multiple running in parallel which can introduce interference. There are a ton of factors involved and I think taliosfalcon is spot on with it being an important consideration.

Edit: I ended up buying the Gigabyte GTX 1060 Xtreme Gaming 6GB card from the local guy for $320 Canadian cash moneys with original packaging, invoice, and warranty card unused. Won't get to try it for a few more hours though. Bah. BAH.

Varinn on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    There were a few people who made a shit ton of money on bitcoin (people have purchased supercars with it), and a lot of people made a little bit of money off of it, and a lot of people have made no money off of it.

If you got in at the right time, and had the right equipment, and had the right situation (as in, weren't responsible for your own power bill), than you could have made some serious money. It took a very specific set of circumstances to do that though.

The people who are mining new currencies now are making the equivalent of $30-$50 a day in imaginary money, and they're betting that value is going to go up in a year or whatever. If you have the right setup and are making $900 a month in imaginary cryptocurrency and it doubles a year from now than you could hit paydirt (assuming you can actually get your "money" out).

What's more likely to happen is diminishing returns are going to make things harder and harder for miners until they're barely making anything, everyone is going to desperately try to cash out, and the entire thing is going to collapse... but for the people who manage to pick the exact right time to bail before it crashes there's likely going to be a decent chunk of change involved. Then, a short while later, the cycle will repeat.

Realistically, what it means for 99.9% of the population is, once again, AMD GPUs are super scarce due to insane demand, but in a year from now the market will be flooded with cheap used RX 400 and 500 series GPUs, but it won't be safe to buy them because they have been run at 100% usage for grossly extended periods of time and as a result will be timebombs.

Miners tend to undervolt the GPU's to save on the electric bill so it might not be that bad. You can also find miners who have used the warranty to get their cards repaired.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    There's a used, integrated water-cooled R9 290 for $200 on my local Craigslist and I feel like that's a good deal? It looks like used prices for them are all above that, especially the water-cooled ones.

It doesn't LOOK like it was used for crypto mining, all the shots of it show it in a gaming PC and the seller claims it was used for 6 months and they're just selling because they upgraded.

I have a 1050Ti right now and I feel like I would see a pretty solid jump in graphical quality from the R9 290, and I could recoup some of the cost by selling the 1050Ti.

Should I jump on it?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Seems like a good deal, assuming it doesn't explode.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Advice needed (I'll try and keep it brief and to the point);

4 year old PC is starting to do hard locks. On boot up HDD will go at 100% for unusually long times (up to 15 minutes). Recently I've started getting full freezes during gaming (various new shooter with heavy load on the GPU, an ATI 7970).

I was going to replace the GPU anyway, but is it likely that between a new HDD, GPU and clean install of Windows that I'll have a reasonable chance of remediating the issues I'm seeing? My gut tells me it will and if not and I need to go full rebuild I'm just a mobo, CPU and RAM away from that anyway.

Thoughts?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Might be a good opportunity to get a SSD to install your OS on. They're silent.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    Advice needed (I'll try and keep it brief and to the point);

4 year old PC is starting to do hard locks. On boot up HDD will go at 100% for unusually long times (up to 15 minutes). Recently I've started getting full freezes during gaming (various new shooter with heavy load on the GPU, an ATI 7970).

I was going to replace the GPU anyway, but is it likely that between a new HDD, GPU and clean install of Windows that I'll have a reasonable chance of remediating the issues I'm seeing? My gut tells me it will and if not and I need to go full rebuild I'm just a mobo, CPU and RAM away from that anyway.

Thoughts?

When was the last time you did a clean Windows install? I expect that alone will be enough to solve the problem.

• Options
    It's definitely been a while and you're probably right. I think I'll give that a go.

• Options
    It's definitely been a while and you're probably right. I think I'll give that a go.

The last time I experienced something like this, it was on a friend's system. It turned out that there was an HP utility program that was eating up all his RAM and causing collateral damage as a result ("Hey! I can tell you when you run out of ink and you can buy more right in this utility! Let me use 4GB of RAM to do absolutely nothing!"). It may be worth checking your task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to "Processes" and sort by Memory.

I've also heard of some AVs causing this when a system first starts, so that may be part of it. Which AV do you use?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

The last time I experienced something like this, it was on a friend's system. It turned out that there was an HP utility program that was eating up all his RAM and causing collateral damage as a result ("Hey! I can tell you when you run out of ink and you can buy more right in this utility! Let me use 4GB of RAM to do absolutely nothing!"). It may be worth checking your task manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to "Processes" and sort by Memory.

I've also heard of some AVs causing this when a system first starts, so that may be part of it. Which AV do you use?

Defender for now and I've played around with disabling it to no avail. I'm sold though. Gonna snag a cheap external to back up everything then wipe it clean.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I mean there was a dude not to long ago who wanted to invest his real dollars into bitcoin. (in H/A)

And yet, people are making $$$ off of it. So if you know how to time the market i guess it's a good play.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, it's time for the summer full computer cleanup. A friend lent me one of these things - should be okay to clean components and the like, right? Given how expensive cans of air run around here, I'm happy to save the ten bucks every cleanup costs me.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

And yet, people are making $$$ off of it. So if you know how to time the market i guess it's a good play.

More people lose than make. Such is the way of volatile investments tied to commodity money with no real actual value.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, it's time for the summer full computer cleanup. A friend lent me one of these things - should be okay to clean components and the like, right? Given how expensive cans of air run around here, I'm happy to save the ten bucks every cleanup costs me.

That will work just fine.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Man. That almost seems worth it just to avoid can freeze and low pressure.

• Options
    Aaaaaand cryptocurrencies are crashing. Ethereum (the main one people were buying video cards to mine, so I've read) is now down nearly 40% since its peak two weeks ago.

It's still higher than it was a month ago, though, so it will probably need to go down a bit more for me to have a chance of getting a 1070 at a reasonable price.

• Options
    If it keeps dropping, you'll find inventory by Sept

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Man. That almost seems worth it just to avoid can freeze and low pressure.

The battery is an issue, though. I barely had time to finish my cleanup before it ran out of juice, and it takes like fifty minutes to recharge

Admittedly, it's been six months since I cleaned up my computer so it required a LOT of doing. The sheer amount of shit this damned computer absorbs, I swear.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    If it keeps dropping, you'll find inventory by Sept

Let's hope sooner!

am0n on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Aaaaaand cryptocurrencies are crashing. Ethereum (the main one people were buying video cards to mine, so I've read) is now down nearly 40% since its peak two weeks ago.

It's still higher than it was a month ago, though, so it will probably need to go down a bit more for me to have a chance of getting a 1070 at a reasonable price.

I'm really cynical about cryptocurrencies in general. Even stocks and currencies backed up by real world fungible assets undergo serious fluctuations on a regular basis, non-anchored currencies seem like they would be even more at the mercy of the fates.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Has anyone seen anything about the 7820x running at stock clocks? I've seen a wide number of reviews, but all of them seem to push the chip to its absolute breaking point, so I have no idea how hot the thing runs without an overclock. As it stands, a good many people are claiming it runs at close to 90 °C and sucks up to 400 W at load - but I get the idea that this is when the chip is running at the absolute limit. I'm interested in the 7820x for sure, but if the chip is going to run at something like 70-80 °C under load with reasonable (AIO) cooling, I'm not sure it's going to be a great idea.

Then again, I have no idea what the non-overclocked thermals or power draw might be. Admittedly I'm getting a bit confused, too, because the internet persists in telling me that the chip is absolute garbage whenever I seek any advice. Feels like a smidgen of hyperbole to be honest, but I'm beginning to wonder if there's not something to the chip that's lacking.

TetraNitroCubane on
This discussion has been closed.