As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Hey build thread,

I'm looking at a graphics upgrade, since apparently the band is getting back together again for Ark, and it ran like poop on my Radeon 7870 last time I tried it. Tomshardware tells me that I should look at a GTX 1060, but those are like, $400 CAD which is really outside my price range. Going down a step, they recommend the GTX 1050Ti, which looks affordable to me. However, Tom has it only one step up the hierarchy from my 7870, which means that I might not notice a difference in performance... That seems a bit crazy to me since the 7870 came out close to 5 years ago...

I guess my question is, is it worth it to upgrade to a GTX 1050 Ti from a Radeon 7870 to play stuff like Ark in 1080p? Or is there something else in the same price range I should consider?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    @f3rret There is a shortage of cards right now due to cryptocurrency. If you keep your eyes open, you can possibly find a 1060 cheaper than that. I just purchased mine for $280, but lately they've been $400+ here, too.

am0n on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Yeah I've been watching the 1060 and the cheapest I've seen is the Zotac 1060 6GB for like CDN$359 and that was before the mining inflation. And after Canuck tax, you are looking at about CDN$400.

Another option would be the RX 580 if you aren't completely set on NVIDIA. Like this one

But again, you are in around the $400 range. And the general rule is that you should only upgrade if you are going to move up 2 tiers based on the Tom's Hardware chart. That being said, 1 tier will work better. Just probably not that much better. What is your CPU, by the way? You might be able to find a youtube video of someone running ARK with your desired specs. I've found that very helpful and reassuring in the past.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    The rest of my specs are reasonable, I've got:
    - ASUS P8H77-V motherboard
    - i5 3570
    - 16GB DDR3 666MHz
    - Intel 223GB SSD

Just checked the motherboard, and apparently I built this machine 2012-ish... time sure does fly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Have a look at this video then:

https://youtu.be/75Kh7B_miMk

While the CPU is a little worse than what you have, this should give you an idea of how the game will perform with a 1050Ti

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I have a 1060 6GB and a 3570k on a P8Z77-V board but mine is overclocked. Not sure if you're interested or not but I could run a few games and give you an idea of my benchmarks to give you an idea on that side of the spectrum

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    I have a 1060 6GB and a 3570k on a P8Z77-V board but mine is overclocked. Not sure if you're interested or not but I could run a few games and give you an idea of my benchmarks to give you an idea on that side of the spectrum

I might take you up on that offer. Do you have any benchmarking software we could use as well? I have a 1070, 3570k (not overclocked), and a Z77X board whose capabilities I'm doubting.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    My GF has a 1060 3GB with a newer i5. Works really well for 1080 gaming. Got the 1060 just as the craze started for 200.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Hi Thread. I recently dropped a new GPU into my system and got a new monitor, in an attempt to hold me over until the CPU market becomes not-stupid. It's been reasonable so far, but I'm quickly learning that I need to jump over to Windows 10 from the outdated 7 pretty quickly here.

I'm hoping someone might have some kind of guide or tips for the best way to go about crafting/managing a Windows 10 install, as I admit I'm rather clueless on the intricacies. I'm sure it installs pretty easy, but what I'm curious about is the best way to install it while tending to the best security practices, turning off and blocking tracking and telemetry, and other essentials I might otherwise be oblivious to. For example, I was seeing that you can connect your Live/Microsoft account to your Windows 10 install, but a friend of mine told me never to do that, because apparently you'll never stop being harassed by in-OS advertisements, or something (which I'm not sure is true)? Is it still a pain to be a non-Admin user, or is that more reasonable in 10?

Does anyone have some advice for the best way to start fresh? Oh and also, is it better to go Home or Pro with Win 10?

I thought this video covers Windows install pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpqkiaO7q4

Thanks much for the tip! That seems like a decent guide on disabling telemetry, and should be quite useful. Much appreciated.

That being said, it doesn't show much in the way of hardening/security. Does anyone perhaps have any advice on that?

Also, I've heard Win 10 will automatically update and replace your display adapter drivers regardless of what you want. The alternative seems to be a hack that disables ALL driver updates, which seems suboptimal. Is there any workaround for that?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Hi Thread. I recently dropped a new GPU into my system and got a new monitor, in an attempt to hold me over until the CPU market becomes not-stupid. It's been reasonable so far, but I'm quickly learning that I need to jump over to Windows 10 from the outdated 7 pretty quickly here.

I'm hoping someone might have some kind of guide or tips for the best way to go about crafting/managing a Windows 10 install, as I admit I'm rather clueless on the intricacies. I'm sure it installs pretty easy, but what I'm curious about is the best way to install it while tending to the best security practices, turning off and blocking tracking and telemetry, and other essentials I might otherwise be oblivious to. For example, I was seeing that you can connect your Live/Microsoft account to your Windows 10 install, but a friend of mine told me never to do that, because apparently you'll never stop being harassed by in-OS advertisements, or something (which I'm not sure is true)? Is it still a pain to be a non-Admin user, or is that more reasonable in 10?

Does anyone have some advice for the best way to start fresh? Oh and also, is it better to go Home or Pro with Win 10?

I thought this video covers Windows install pretty well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbpqkiaO7q4

Thanks much for the tip! That seems like a decent guide on disabling telemetry, and should be quite useful. Much appreciated.

That being said, it doesn't show much in the way of hardening/security. Does anyone perhaps have any advice on that?

Also, I've heard Win 10 will automatically update and replace your display adapter drivers regardless of what you want. The alternative seems to be a hack that disables ALL driver updates, which seems suboptimal. Is there any workaround for that?

Windows 10 doesn't touch my video drivers, to my knowledge. Maybe the one on my CPU, but not my 280X.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Yeah win 10 doesn't touch my video drivers. Just install them and update them like you would on any other computer.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    if you use the default drivers out of the box, Windows will update them. And they actually will have the real nvidia/amd driver for your card, maybe a few months old, in the library so you'll get a good driver.

But if you install a video card driver manually, it won't do that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what you're looking for specifically for hardening and security. You may want to check the computer security/AV thread. I currently use the following combo:
    Spybot S&D
    MBAM
    Avira Anti-virus (Free version)

You could do without third-party AV and just go with Defender; which is actually decent.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're looking for specifically for hardening and security. You may want to check the computer security/AV thread. I currently use the following combo:
    Spybot S&D
    MBAM
    Avira Anti-virus (Free version)

You could do without third-party AV and just go with Defender; which is actually decent.

I have the same except sub AVG for Avira. I tried Avira, but it felt too daunting to use. Not particularly friendly for somebody just looking for an AV product. And Avast was just massively bloated and system intensive. AVG recently made some changes to their frontend that I don't care for, but the same functionality is still there without the bloat (so far).

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I fully recommend just going with defender for active protection.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Windows Defender.
    Adbock (UBlock Origin) + Script Blocker on your Browser.
    Malwarebytes (free).

Most viruses/etc come from ad servers.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Looks like I may just go for a 1060 once they come back in stock. Let's make this upgrade count. Thanks for the videos and tips!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »
    Looks like I may just go for a 1060 once they come back in stock. Let's make this upgrade count. Thanks for the videos and tips!

You might be waiting for a while unless you're willing to pay a huge markup. I want a 1070 but am willing to get a 1060 instead, but I am refusing to pay much more than msrp.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    At this rate we might see the 11xx cards before prices stabilize. I think the last I heard was a q4-2017 or a q1-2018 release target?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    So I'm not doing any building any time soon but I keep eyeballing the Air 240 for the future, until today. I came upon Phanteks cases for the first time on reddit and I've fallen in love with the Evolv ITX and mATX versions. I prefer the super small size of the ITX but it looks like they went cheaper on the materials for it which is a shame, the ITX with aluminum and tempered glass side panel would have been perfect for my next refresh (and switch to AM4/Ryzen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWblNZ3Zsw

11-854-024-38.jpg
    I know this is pretty late but maybe consider the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (also comes in tempered glass variant).

The inside is the same as the Evolv mATX, but has way better airflow due to the top and front not being restricted. You can also remove the optical drive cage to install more fans/bigger aio radiator. Plus its cheaper.

I will say though that the Evolv does look nice.

I personally bought the enthoo pro m instead due to price, better airflow and because I actually want to have an internal optical drive.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Marty81 wrote: »
    f3rret wrote: »

You might be waiting for a while unless you're willing to pay a huge markup. I want a 1070 but am willing to get a 1060 instead, but I am refusing to pay much more than msrp.

CDW seems to have stock incoming, but who knows how long that will take. Also, I can get hardware through my work at a good price, basically whatever distributors sell at. And I'm sorry, but I can't resell to you all. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Guess what came in the mail today?
    Ch72WXA.jpg?2

Don't have time to put it in tonight, but soon. Soon.

Hey, I got my 1080Ti in the mail today too.

Motherboard won't be in until Monday, though...

About a year ago I tried overclocking and couldn't get anything to happen with my i5-3570K, but I'm a beginner.

Now that I have a GTX 1080 TI and I'm playing more Total Warhammer, I want to give it another try.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    You can also overclock your 1080ti

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Got the FTW3 installed and running, hoo boy it is bigger than I thought it would be. Fortunately it still fits in the Manta, I just had to reroute the power cables a bit. It's ridiculous and I love it.

• Options
  • Options
    So as far as video card manufacturers go, I've always been pro-ASUS. Are there others I should consider as well?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I've only had two MSI GPUs so far but neither have cause me any problems.

I'm thinking of spending a little more to get an EVGA next time though.

EDIT: On second thought, I do have issues with MSI's software. Live Update doesn't install updates at all and is pretty useless.

Also, I just checked the prices for this current generation for NVIDIA GPUs and god damn they are expensive. I remember paying a little over 500AUD for my 970, but the 1070 is around 700-800AUD. What the hell happened since the end of 2015 to make GPUs so expensive? It can't be due to mining can it, as this was apparently the introductory price here.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

EDIT: On second thought, I do have issues with MSI's software. Live Update doesn't install updates at all and is pretty useless.

Also, I just checked the prices for this current generation for NVIDIA GPUs and god damn they are expensive. I remember paying a little over 500AUD for my 970, but the 1070 is around 700-800AUD. What the hell happened since the end of 2015 to make GPUs so expensive? It can't be due to mining can it, as this was apparently the introductory price here.

1070 MSRP was under 400 usd if memory serves me right. worse than usual Australia tax?

• Options
    1070 msrp is $379 usd, and you can't find them for under $500 or so right now. Yes it's due to crypto currency miners. I guess the 1070 has the best hash rate to power usage ratio, and people are building dedicated mining rigs with six of them in there alongside one cpu, a little ram, and a big power supply. They make profits of a few bucks a day. It's really dumb and I can't wait for their market to crash.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Thats why I ended up getting a 1080 as they hadn't been hit by the miners yet and was able to nab one for 840AUD considering on the lower end of 1080s you could find them for almost the cost of a 1070 it was absurd.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    30 dollar check from Nvidia due to the 970 settlement arrived today.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    970 settlement? Who what?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

There was a lawsuit because there was only 3.5GB of DDR5 ram, with 500mb being slower memory.

You had to file your claim by the end of November last year.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

There was a lawsuit because there was only 3.5GB of DDR5 ram, with 500mb being slower memory.

oh, that thing? Heh. Oh well, looks like I missed my chance.

• Options

oh, that thing? Heh. Oh well, looks like I missed my chance.

I only happened on it because one of the guys at my work said something about it.

I mean, mine works well, no complaints. But, turn down $30 with no strings attached?

• Options
    Re: OEMs - I'm a big EVGA fan. Their upgrade program is decent and I've read minimal bad experiences about warranty claims.

The bigger issue for current generation cards seems to be the "Amazon Return Scam;" where people buy a high end card, swap in an older card, then initiate a return. Then Amazon resells because the return is automated, and other buyers end up getting screwed

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So you're saying my 9800+ isn't worth reselling?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Launch X399 Motherboards are apparently all getting officially revealed tomorrow.

I really hope they're better designed than the X299 motherboards. One of the biggest WTFs I have with those is that the multiple m.2 drive ports, sata ports, and usb ports share the same PCIe 3.0 x4 bandwidh through their PCH when a single m.2 drive is meant to have that much bandwidth itself. I wonder if it's to keep compatiblity with the frankenstein i5/i7 X299 chips?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

1070 MSRP was under 400 usd if memory serves me right. worse than usual Australia tax?
    Marty81 wrote: »
    1070 msrp is $379 usd, and you can't find them for under $500 or so right now. Yes it's due to crypto currency miners. I guess the 1070 has the best hash rate to power usage ratio, and people are building dedicated mining rigs with six of them in there alongside one cpu, a little ram, and a big power supply. They make profits of a few bucks a day. It's really dumb and I can't wait for their market to crash.

379USD is about 480AUD. I think this might just be a case of local retailers being dicks, given the initial reports of the prices being similar to their current 700-800AUD prices.

If the same thing happens with the next generation of NVIDIA GPUS, I might just try holding onto my 970 for the next few years, as I really don't want to pay over 700AUD for a graphics card.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Unless countries start outright banning cryptocurrencies, this problem won't go away. In fact, it's liable to get worse due to fragmentation, until some of the currencies completely collapse or are folded into others.

Unfortunately, we are subject to the whims of the market in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.