As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OK[Phalla]: PhallaPeopleMeet.Com [GAME OVER]

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So we have a list of four unverified people then?

LostNinja
    Brody
    Baidol
    Sir Fab?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    i think sir fab is a better choice.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Sir Fab

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    So we have a list of four unverified people then?

LostNinja
    Brody
    Baidol
    Sir Fab?

any reason why you haven't contacted me @Brody ?

• Options
    Because I hadn't looked at my matches yet.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Although I'll also point out that you haven't reached out to me either.

• Options
    ummmm. i outed myself as a seer day 2, made a seer call last night that nailed a troll, directed a brutal to nail another troll.....and then i asked everyone to contact me....

so, yeah, that is pretty understandable that you'd miss the subtlety there.

• Options
    I guess I missed that post, although I'm never quite sure what to send people when they drop that sort of info. Or at least, not since Sir Fab's fabulous fake seer call.

• Options
    Also, upon rereading, I see that you did state that you were insightful (which is seer, but its not my ability, so I hadn't payed much attention to it), but you did not ask anyone to contact you. I figured that if the network verified me, I'd be brought in.

• Options
    corvidae wrote: »
    and people should be very forthcoming to me about their choice of sexual partners, past histories of venereal diseases, their roles, and their kinky roleplaying.

i was under the impression, that people would have the sense to reach out to what/who is debatedly the only thing vaguely resembling a verified nethead.

• Options
    That statement actually is somewhat vague, especially since I missed the point that you have outed yourself as seer. So I apologize for not reading every post you've made with meticulous detail. I'll also point out that I haven't been the most secretive with my match choices.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'll join for sir fabulous.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    @Brody also i'm swiping left on you tonight! sorry, nothing personal!

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    @Brody also i'm swiping left on you tonight! sorry, nothing personal!

It's gotta happen to someone.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Sir Fabulous

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Geez. I'm gonna !vote for Brody because there's probably enough votes on Sir Fabulous and I just need to let out my irritations. People've just gotta pay better attention in this game.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    No, I'm pretty sure Brody is a Troll as well, but you can only vote out one person.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Hahahaha, fools!

I cannot be brought down!

I use my SuperLike to activate my ultimate ability:

*Squints*

gain 4 self-esteem

*End squint*

This power's useless!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    S-s-s-s-s-sir F-f-f-f-f-fabulous

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Results will likely be up around an hour after vote close tonight.

• Options
    brody should be getting vigged tonight.

crossing fingers, i don't have much confidence in the outcome here.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Day 5 Results

THE DEAD:
    Sir Fabulous, Troll -- Banned From The App
    Brody, Troll -- Brutalized
    Lucedes, Lonely Heart -- Received An Unsolicited Dick Pic

The game has ended in a Lonely Heart victory!

Each member of the Lonely Heart alignment will receive a special Red Heart Emoji Phallatar for their collection, each Troll will receive a Broken Heart Emoji.

Thanks for playing, everybody! More detailed thoughts soon.

• Options
    Yeah, I was pretty sure we had lost when corv made the call on sir fab

• Options
    OK, so, thoughts:

1. On Day 1, MrBlarney pointed out an incredibly critical security flaw in my status sheet system. I'm a dumbass for not spotting it before the game, but I have figured out a (slightly more laborious) way to fix it in future games. I have not seen any evidence during the course of the game that anyone utilized said security flaw -- least of all MrBlarney -- but I want to apologize for not catching it beforehand.

2. There are a few things I would definitely change if I ran this theme again (which I plan to do at some point). First, I would indicate Traits and Abilities upon death. Second, I would put in a fifth match column for matching up players who received Byes, so that nobody gets mechanically locked out of SuperLike opportunities. And third, I would likely remove the Egotistical ability and replace it with one or both of the following: Extroverted (can reveal your alignment to another player) and Analytical (Trait+Ability-seering on multiple players at once).

3. I also have some ideas for introducing more complex roles than just Lonely Heart vs. Trolls, but I don't want to go into too much detail.

4. If I ran this theme again at some point in the future, with the above changes, would people be interested in playing? Were the core mechanics sufficiently entertaining?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Rough start, good job pulling through village!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed the setup and mechanics, and would be interested in another go around

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    wow. rather stunned by that outcome.

sir fab was just a hunch. I only actually managed to get a seer-ing off once the whole game, which was the one on MrT. I was so sure that everyone i was talking to was pulling off some hardcore crazy gambit....

it's been a long while since i was a network head, and now i remember how twitchy it makes me feel.

was fun anyways, thanks for hosting WAC! (and yes, i would be interested in long distance savings another iteration of this)

corvidae on
  • Options
    The sarcastics were in a weird spot. I do think their best by being village aligned, but in practice they are mostly just a distraction as the village almost defaulted to taking them out early. Rather than focusing on the actual troll threat due to their troll like nature of hurting anyone they were paired up with.

That said they wouldn't really serve a purpose as a neutral group and would be too obvious as mafia.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Quite an up and down rollercoaster of a game, right? Remarkably, there was a very high activity rate, which played greatly in the village faction's favor. The mafia faction did well in the early game, they just didn't have the resources to maintain momentum down the stretch. Even though any network formed by the village would have to be somewhat soft since mafia players could masquerade their knowledge, the sheer volume of abilities controlled by the village seemed to be overwhelming. At the same time, the mafia was mostly powerless to prevent the village from earning SuperLike tokens, since betrayals would be fairly easily called out and punished. There was really no reason for a villager to not coordinate their actions, and it ended up not being too difficult to get a high level of efficiency in SuperLike generation.

I'm interested to see what you can put together to address the power imbalance. I feel like the level of information revealed was at the right level. There is one suggestion I have for matchups, and that's to not fix matchups on a columnwise basis and to prevent doubled matchups on the same night. If you have four unique matches each night, then that should maximize the uncertainty in case the results do not roll in the expected fashion.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm glad corv didn't die when I continued to guard Lucedes night 3.

I also thought the sheer volume of abilities greatly favoured the village, but I'd be happy to play this again.

discrider on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for running @WACriminal! Would definitely play again!

I echo MrBlarneys thoughts about matching. The double matches made it tougher.

From the mafia end, I'd wonder if giving the mafia a different powers from everyone else might help some power balance. We had two Brutals which was nice but it couldn't overcome two village guards and two seers in time. We had three shots blocked by a guard over two nights and that sunk us because the population was low enough at that time that it was too late to break up the network. Sir Fab and I were useless pretty much from an ability perspective because he could only heal himself and I couldn't get a great in to the network to fake normal guard.

Again agreeing with MrBlarney, if we had a way to block/steal SuperLikes we probably could have held on longer just by stopping the seers for a night or two.

The other one Id be curious about (but have no idea if it would work) is giving Charming/Sarcatic the voice of where their plus/minus goes. Sarcastically were screwed by being terrible matches but on the other end, I had no voice but to give out a bunch of Esteem because I had to Match to stay hidden. If I only could or had to give that plus to one person, that would make it easier to hide and not feel like I was helping the village so much.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I feel like it would be better/more fun if you didn't match the same person 3 or 4 times. I'd rather just have one match for the day.

All in all, I think it was a cool system, seems to have driven activity and I enjoyed playing. Thanks for running @WACriminal

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    You know what disappointed me the most about this game? No one had a Cupid role and no lovers role.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Thanks for running WACriminal!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Did the mafia have a board?
    And if not, I'm assuming I was shot by one of you and blocked kills on Lucedes twice?

I also rather think this game may be optimally played by the village under a 'Vigs: no vigging' rule.
    Saves the guards and seers.

discrider on
  • Options
    I should also point out that day 3, when I had guarded Lucedes and there was no mafia kill, and Preda came to me claiming to have seen me, I gave them both the word 'extraordinary' to use in thread as I couldn't confirm either.
    So if they wanted to reveal their identity to the other, they were to use that word in thread for the other to see.

But then Preda used it immediately, so I told Lucedes directly that he had claimed to have seen me.

Then Lucedes used it after I had died.
    So I had to half wonder whether she was taunting me :(

• Options
    edited April 2017
    discrider wrote: »
    Did the mafia have a board?
    And if not, I'm assuming I was shot by one of you and blocked kills on Lucedes twice?

I also rather think this game may be optimally played by the village under a 'Vigs: no vigging' rule.
    Saves the guards and seers.

Eh, that was actually me...

LostNinja on
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Quite an up and down rollercoaster of a game, right? Remarkably, there was a very high activity rate, which played greatly in the village faction's favor. The mafia faction did well in the early game, they just didn't have the resources to maintain momentum down the stretch. Even though any network formed by the village would have to be somewhat soft since mafia players could masquerade their knowledge, the sheer volume of abilities controlled by the village seemed to be overwhelming. At the same time, the mafia was mostly powerless to prevent the village from earning SuperLike tokens, since betrayals would be fairly easily called out and punished. There was really no reason for a villager to not coordinate their actions, and it ended up not being too difficult to get a high level of efficiency in SuperLike generation.

I'm interested to see what you can put together to address the power imbalance. I feel like the level of information revealed was at the right level. There is one suggestion I have for matchups, and that's to not fix matchups on a columnwise basis and to prevent doubled matchups on the same night. If you have four unique matches each night, then that should maximize the uncertainty in case the results do not roll in the expected fashion.

I agree that unique matches would be more interesting, I'm just trying to figure out a way I can generate those quickly, without any manual checking (which would inevitably, at some point, result in me missing a duplication).

As for not fixing them on a columnwise basis, I'm not sure what advantage that would bring. Could you elaborate?

• Options
    Oh yeah, another question: Do people hate Phallatars? Are they stupid? The idea came about while I was working on a Zelda game (which will be run at some point in the future), and the idea was to have icons representing players who were in the same room as you, just for cosmetic purposes. I decided to apply the concept to this game as well in the form of profile pics.

They're not a super amount of effort on my part, but if people hate them/the concept in general, there's no reason for me to keep doing them.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I think the phallatars would work better in a game where the player names aren't also on the same spreadsheet.
    Like if people didn't inherently know who was in each room, but that they were stuck with a pregnant lady, a knife and a pile of poop, I think that would make the avatars more useful.

As is, in this game, I just read the names and the avatars were just funny colour on the spreadsheet.

Using them to mark locations on maps is also a good idea

discrider on