As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [TV] Thread for Discussing Television

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I would really enjoy a per-episode review of this infamous season of Sherlock, I've never watched the show but I'm way into horseshit

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I read a summary of the latest season of Sherlock and it was painfully stupid.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    it's kind of an amazing accomplishment though, season four is

they got that much wrong in such a short period of time

the finale, especially, felt like an entire season's worth of ridiculous soapy twists crammed into a single episode

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

the finale, especially, felt like an entire season's worth of ridiculous soapy twists crammed into a single episode

Meanwhile I have to hear from my roommate about how it is amazing TV compared to Elementary.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    I'm going to write a fucking dissertation of the season 4 finale of Sherlock because it was that bad.

I actually saw one of those pretentious film Youtubers say it was a masterpiece or whatever and pretty much stopped watching Youtube film people after that.

I find it impressive on how bad it was on how many insanely different levels while being absolutely convinced that it was literary and prestige tv.

Like I was in awe at how fucking mind-boggling terrible it was.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Meanwhile I have to hear from my roommate about how it is amazing TV compared to Elementary.

you will never be free of this

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I might actually have to watch it now. You fuckin. Dicks.

• Options
    within five minutes, mycroft is having a sword fight with a murderous clown

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    And that's like the least bad part.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    The explosion scene was really funny and good.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I think the twist had me throw a shoe across the room.

Also not to mention how incredibly and bafflingly tasteless the main driving force of the plot is
    That mental illness effectively makes you able to mind control people

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    i almost died laughing at that twist

as in, i laughed so hard i stopped breathing and almost passed out and bashed my head on my coffee table

laughter induced syncope is no joke, ya'll

unlike that fucking finale

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Also not to mention how incredibly and bafflingly tasteless the main driving force of the plot is

Wait, what

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2017

well now I need to watch it again damn you, because
    I had the vague impression that her manipulation abilities were because of the nebulously useful familial 'genius' traits, rather than her specific mental problems, but I can't say I was paying a huge amount of attention to anything on the screen by then.

tynic on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I gave up on Sherlock somewhere in season two I think

Maybe I'll watch this crazy ending

• Options
    Speaking of shows that are actually good

Anya watched Over The Garden Wall again the other day and man, that is really a fantastic little series.

• Options
    In spite of it's ever-escalating stupidity, I don't actually hate Sherlock, it's pleasantly goofy TV. I do wish it wasn't laboring under the delusion it was clever, though.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

Anya watched Over The Garden Wall again the other day and man, that is really a fantastic little series.

Multiple times now I have gone to show people the first episode or two of Over The Garden Wall and just accidentally sat down for the whole thing

• Options

Wait, what

it's barely rationalized, but
    Sherlock Holmes' sister is mentally ill, but so goddamn super intelligent that she can get you to do literally anything if she talks to you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited May 2017
    tynic wrote: »

I had the vague impression that her manipulation abilities were because of the nebulously useful familial 'genius' traits, rather than her specific mental problems, but I can't say I was paying a huge amount of attention to anything on the screen by then.

I might be remembering wrong.
    But I think it was supposed to be that her manipulation abilities derived from having a disorder of some sort PLUS the Holmes genius traits.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Multiple times now I have gone to show people the first episode or two of Over The Garden Wall and just accidentally sat down for the whole thing

It's just really pleasant and well-done, it doesn't overstay its welcome, the songs are good...

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The potatoes and molasses song still regularly pops into my head

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    The potatoes and molasses song still regularly pops into my head

Yeah. Also the proper Over The Garden Wall song, and Langtree's Lament.

• Options
    I also liked how much it drew imagery from Folk Art. What a lovely series.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

But I think it was supposed to be that her manipulation abilities derived from having a disorder of some sort PLUS the Holmes genius traits.

I didn't get that impression, but then again I wouldn't put it past them.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular

And yet she's scared of Curious George

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

hell, I'm scared of curious george.

There's a curious george memorabilia shop about a block from where I work and it weirds me the fuck out.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

I thought it was just her being the smartest sibling, but I've been trying to forget the episode so I might be wrong

edit cos that was a spoiler sorry

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    i do not fear curious george, but i do fear the man in the yellow hat's, frankly, criminal negligence

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

There's a curious george memorabilia shop about a block from where I work and it weirds me the fuck out.

Have you ever read the old Curious George stories

because man, those are pretty damn dated

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

The amount of love and passion that went into making that strange little show is amazing.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

i've never read any at all, Curious George is not a thing in Australia.

• Options
    Hermano wrote: »

I thought it was just her being the smartest sibling, but I've been trying to forget the episode so I might be wrong

i just watched it last night
    i think it's more there is an implication that the only way she cpuld be that smart is due to her mental illness

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

i've never read any at all, Curious George is not a thing in Australia.

In the book where he goes to the hospital, Curious George huffs ether and passes out.

• Options

i think it's more there is an implication that the only way she cpuld be that smart is due to her mental illness
    My vague recollection is that she may at some point imply her mental illness and her abilities are inextricably linked, but a) she also doesn't think she's mentally ill, and b) I don't think we're intended to take her as a reliable narrator. Like, that's not an uncommon logic chain in the real world as well.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Yeah
    she had all the Holmes-ness turned up so far that she was totally dissociated from "normal" people. The whole time I was watching the episode I was thinking there was a kernel of a good idea in there, but it just turned out as "What if the Joker was a girl who had watched too many Saw films?"

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular

Wait, what

It's uhh... it's

Fuck now I'm trying to make sense of a Sherlock plot and having an immediate existential crisis as a result of that effort
    Basically, the villain is a "generation-defining intellect". These are the show's words, I swear, not mine. She was tested when she was a child and was found to be the smartest human since Newton or something. She's also evil? We're still talking about someone who's less than 10 years old here. So they decided to lock her up because she's so dangerous or something. And she's so smart that she can manipulate anyone into doing anything after talking to them for seconds. The way it's presented on this show, this manipulation might as well be mind control.

She's also cripplingly isolated and has mental problems, yeah.

Oh, I almost forgot. The reason the British govt has kept her around is because she's so smart that after spending an hour on twitter, she was able to accurately predict when the next terrorist attacks are gonna happen in Britain.

It is the dumbest thing they've ever done and for Sherlock, that is saying a lot.

• Options

My vague recollection is that she may at some point imply her mental illness and her abilities are inextricably linked, but a) she also doesn't think she's mentally ill, and b) I don't think we're intended to take her as a reliable narrator. Like, that's not an uncommon logic chain in the real world as well.
    i'm not basing this on anything she's said, but solely on mycroft's analysis and exposition dumps

either way, we are putting way more thought into this than the writing staff

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Going from new Twin Peaks back to season 1 Leftovers continues to reassert my belief that unless you are Actually David Lynch I do not want to see your dream sequences

Not even you, David Chase

Especially not you, Matthew Weiner

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Going from new Twin Peaks back to season 1 Leftovers continues to reassert my belief that unless you are Actually David Lynch I do not want to see your dream sequences

Not even you, David Chase

Especially not you, Matthew Weiner

Hannibal did alright

Sometimes

This discussion has been closed.