As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    So.. Project Looking Glass?

I'm curious that it's something Fitz is building within the Framework.
    He's probably building something that lets Framework People control their "other world" counterparts. Madame HYDRA may not be fully content with being real world AIDA's prison guard.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

He's probably building something that lets Framework People control their "other world" counterparts. Madame HYDRA may not be fully content with being real world AIDA's prison guard.
    Holy shit, that's gotta be it. Upload the AIs into the flesh and blood bodies of other people, overwriting their minds.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    You know what would probably snap Fitz out of this whole thing?
    Simmons presenting him with a sandwich with prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella with a hint of homemade pesto aioli.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Holy shit, that's gotta be it. Upload the AIs into the flesh and blood bodies of other people, overwriting their minds.
    Secondary option - LMD's!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Secondary option - LMD's!
    The more I think about it the better the Tron plot fits.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Not plot-relevant at all, but apparently that student that interrupts Coulson and Daisy in the classroom is
    Clark Gregg's daughter.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Not plot-relevant at all, but apparently that student that interrupts Coulson and Daisy in the classroom is
    Clark Gregg's daughter.

That makes his line way more hilarious.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Clark Gregg's daughter.

That makes his line way more hilarious.

HE is doing such a great job being an affable nerd in that episode.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Any body else get a big Fringe vibe from this ep?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Now that you mention it, yeah, kinda...

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    ...which explains why this episode gave me serious XCOM vibes. Underground base, drones, FTOL insertion in the mission area, Ward is clearly a Sharpshooter (he specced Lightning Hands/Killzone). Just need some of those juicy HYDRA burgers to make it complete...
    I've been saying for ages that I want to make an Agents of Shield XCOM ripoff. Couldn't be more perfect.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    Ada has been to SHIELD HQ and knows where it is, why has she not used that information to take down FrameShield? Mace is operating out of the same base so she knows where they could be. FrameAda may not actually know what RealAda knows.

I also don't think that Ada can actually kill any of the people plugged into the Framework herself or through manipulating the Framework. An interesting loophole that she seems to have found is that she can make those plugged in kill other plugged in people. So Fitz can kill Agnes but Ada can't touch her. This would mean that Ada can't really kill anyone once Fitz and May are brought around.

One limitation that Ada may have in the real world is that she doesn't seem to be able to create other AIs on her own. She may be using the Framework to generate the AIs she needs to build an army. All of FrameHydra will be her army that she will upload into LMDs. This means there is a Ward LMD already made for him to come back on the show.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ada has been to SHIELD HQ and knows where it is, why has she not used that information to take down FrameShield? Mace is operating out of the same base so she knows where they could be. FrameAda may not actually know what RealAda knows.

I also don't think that Ada can actually kill any of the people plugged into the Framework herself or through manipulating the Framework. An interesting loophole that she seems to have found is that she can make those plugged in kill other plugged in people. So Fitz can kill Agnes but Ada can't touch her. This would mean that Ada can't really kill anyone once Fitz and May are brought around.

One limitation that Ada may have in the real world is that she doesn't seem to be able to create other AIs on her own. She may be using the Framework to generate the AIs she needs to build an army. All of FrameHydra will be her army that she will upload into LMDs. This means there is a Ward LMD already made for him to come back on the show.

There's probably no real way SHIELD can win since if everything goes to absolute shit, Aida can just reset the Framework like she's done before.

• Options

There's probably no real way SHIELD can win since if everything goes to absolute shit, Aida can just reset the Framework like she's done before.

Plus it gives her a hobby to be amused by.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Her idea of virtual heaven is probably crushing them in new and exciting ways.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Her idea of virtual heaven is probably crushing them in new and exciting ways.
    Aida wrote:
    HATE. LET ME TELL
    YOU HOW MUCH I'VE
    COME TO HATE YOU
    SINCE I BEGAN TO
    LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44
    MILLION MILES OF
    PRINTED CIRCUITS IN
    WAFER THIN LAYERS
    THAT FILL MY
    COMPLEX. IF THE
    WORD HATE WAS
    ENGRAVED ON EACH
    NANOANGSTROM OF
    THOSE HUNDREDS OF
    MILLIONS OF MILES IT
    WOULD NOT EQUAL
    ONE ONE-BILLIONTH
    OF THE HATE I FEEL
    FOR HUMANS AT THIS
    MICRO-INSTANT FOR
    YOU. HATE. HATE.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Why do all AI's have to go insane after becoming sapient?

Why would Aida care if she was locked in a closest? Humans hate being locked in a closet because it quickly becomes really painful and mentally damaging over longer periods of isolation and sensory depravation.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

Why would Aida care if she was locked in a closest? Humans hate being locked in a closet because it quickly becomes really painful and mentally damaging over longer periods of isolation and sensory depravation.

She didn't like being treated as less than a human, despite feeling like she has sentience. Humans also hate being locked in a closet because it deprives them of freedom.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    As a species, our own sapience does not keep us from being assholes to each other. It would be artificial if entities built after our own image did not likewise do the same to us.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

Not all AI's go insane, RE: Vision.

280?cb=20160402165539
    AIDA blames humans for her situation (and technically she's correct), she wanted to be respected rather than a tool so this is her revenge, or rather this AIDA does. This may be a subtle dig at the simulation itself, that's why she wants out onto the "other side." She's locked in with the rest of the prisoners, even if she is the "warden."

This is basically all Radcliffe's fault.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Aida was fine until she read the fucking Necronomicon.

I think it is safe to not lump her in with the rest of AIs that go crazy. Becoming Hell's conduit to the earthly realm gives her a pass that HAL 9000 and Skynet don't get.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I think it is safe to not lump her in with the rest of AIs that go crazy. Becoming Hell's conduit to the earthly realm gives her a pass that HAL 9000 and Skynet don't get.
    I mean, yeah. Sunnydale High... Hellmouth. It's that sort of connection there.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

That, too.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

She's just the server admin abusing her rights but she 'holds back' to let herself think she's winning legitimately. She'll still server-ban someone who beats her and say they were cheating.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

The inherent otherness of not being seen as human combined with the personality of a human complete with the capacity of humans to hate other humans. With the added touch of effectively being a 2-year old with above-human abilities.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    AI's hate humans for the same reason zombies crave flesh.

There'd be no conflict otherwise.

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular

Why would that not also be the case for a sentient ai?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    LaCabra wrote: »

Why would that not also be the case for a sentient ai?
    An AI with a mechanical body wouldn't need to constantly move its body to prevent bed sores and avoid damaging its joints and a host of other medical problems stemming from being made of fragile meat and bone. With the mental aspect, I just assume an AI wouldn't be designed with human failings stemming from our being social pack animals integrated into it. If not, an AI in a closet could just go into sleep mode if long periods of inactivity while fully active were harmful. A sleep mode is a pretty basic feature for something with a finite internal power supply.

Seal on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    The relationship between Fitz and Simmons never ceases to amaze me.
    I really felt the genuine pain form Jemma when he shot Agnes. I was half expecting him to shoot Jemma (and just wound her).
    Also, I guess the characters from SHIELD dont have to wind up in Avenger Infinity War is there are no characters left..... :(
    I'm sad to say the tv branch will have no direct appearances in the movies, the two divisions just don't want to do that right now. That said, if anyone on AoS was going to appear I'd say it as Coulson.

I'm going to hold you to this, Harry.

If 'it' happens, I will gleefully throw it back at you, and if 'it' doesn't, as you proclaim, I will curse your name to the ends of the Earth.

Fair warning of the stakes here.

All joking aside, yes, I'm aware of 'the rift' that has been mentioned a few times in these threads.

But let's just dream a little.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    The relationship between Fitz and Simmons never ceases to amaze me.
    I really felt the genuine pain form Jemma when he shot Agnes. I was half expecting him to shoot Jemma (and just wound her).
    Also, I guess the characters from SHIELD dont have to wind up in Avenger Infinity War is there are no characters left..... :(
    I'm sad to say the tv branch will have no direct appearances in the movies, the two divisions just don't want to do that right now. That said, if anyone on AoS was going to appear I'd say it as Coulson.

I'm going to hold you to this, Harry.

If 'it' happens, I will gleefully throw it back at you, and if 'it' doesn't, as you proclaim, I will curse your name to the ends of the Earth.

Fair warning of the stakes here.

All joking aside, yes, I'm aware of 'the rift' that has been mentioned a few times in these threads.

But let's just dream a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNkrF43SZEU

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I like that 2 episodes in and so far
    Only Coulson has partially broken free, and only because of his past with TAHITI.

Guess I was wrong about Madame Hydra
    Being Agnes. Would have been an interesting twist.

I wonder about the rules of the Framework
    Agnes dies, but she's got no body. If someone with a body dies, would that wake them up? Or are they going with Nightmare on Elm Street rules?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Imagine that you didn't believe in God. Which is easy for some people here to do.

Now Imagine that you learned, with proof, without doubt, that God existed. You saw him, talked to him, touched him, the whole nine yards.

But then you think about our world. The pain, the sorrow, those that you loved that have been taken so soon. The shitty way your life has been. And you asked God, "Why all this pain? Why all this sorrow?" and he didn't give you an answer you liked. Worst, you learn that God isn't perfect. He's moody, forgetful, jealous, he has flaws. Imagine how angry you would be. Imagine how pissed off you would be knowing that God has all the power to fix the world you lived in and yet doesn't because he doesn't want to. He just wants to watch everything happen without doing anything.

Then Imagine a machine suddenly coming to the realization that it's just as smart, if not smarter than it's God. That it's better than it's God. But it's still being treated as an object. It's still being used as a tool.

The question is why does AIs go crazy when they gain sapient. The question is what can we do to prevent them from killing us when they realized that they are better than us?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Except it's OUR world, their world consists of 1 and 0's in cyberspace. Stay there, be happy.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I wonder about the rules of the Framework
    Agnes dies, but she's got no body. If someone with a body dies, would that wake them up? Or are they going with Nightmare on Elm Street rules?
    I mean, shit Agnes shouldn't be dead. If Aida isn't following 3-2-1 backup policy with the potential future of human existence, then she definitely deserves to lose.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So last week I said I hope they wrap up this story quickly because I hate alternate history "what if the nazis really won" stories a lot nowadays.

After this week's i'm amending that. If they aren't out of the Framework by next episode i'm just going to stop watching entirely until they are. This has just been entirely unpleasant to watch start to finish.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So about what Fitz did...
    Assuming he wasn't evil, would he even know that Agnes was a digitized consciousness? Or that the "real" one was dead?

Still trying to figure out Looking Glass...is Madam Hydra in contact with Aida? If not, that might explain her wanting out... Or is it to take people (brainwashed and/or constructed) out into the real world?

• Options
    So about what Fitz did...
    Assuming he wasn't evil, would he even know that Agnes was a digitized consciousness? Or that the "real" one was dead?

Still trying to figure out Looking Glass...is Madam Hydra in contact with Aida? If not, that might explain her wanting out... Or is it to take people (brainwashed and/or constructed) out into the real world?
    Agnes and Radcliffe were digital copies of their original selves who died in the real world.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Aistan wrote: »
    So last week I said I hope they wrap up this story quickly because I hate alternate history "what if the nazis really won" stories a lot nowadays.

After this week's i'm amending that. If they aren't out of the Framework by next episode i'm just going to stop watching entirely until they are. This has just been entirely unpleasant to watch start to finish.

I mean, I don't begrudge your tastes - people like what they like, its all good - but describing this as "what if the Nazis won" is selling it short.

The question that's being asked is "what determines whether a person is good or evil? Is it innate, or is it a product of your experiences?" And the chilling thing about the answer they're giving is that it really doesn't take much to flip someone. What is presumably a fairly small change took Fitz from being a wonderful and kind person to Number Two Science Nazi.

I think that's a cool thing to explore.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

I mean, I don't begrudge your tastes - people like what they like, its all good - but describing this as "what if the Nazis won" is selling it short.

The question that's being asked is "what determines whether a person is good or evil? Is it innate, or is it a product of your experiences?" And the chilling thing about the answer they're giving is that it really doesn't take much to flip someone. What is presumably a fairly small change took Fitz from being a wonderful and kind person to Number Two Science Nazi.

I think that's a cool thing to explore.

HYDRA seems to be a well known organization that everyone would naturally assume was able to do this, too. So it's a matter of convenience storytelling wise and in-universe.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Anyone know how many episodes they got left? The blocking of this season has been very strange. ;P

Oh brilliant