As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    They're already done filming season 7, which is the final season so you don't have to worry about speculation in this thread resulting in a lurking AOS writer tanking the show.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They have plenty of time for reshoots!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Season 6 is up on Netflix now, so I guess I'll get around to that here soon.

Uh... is Disney+ going to end up pulling it before Season 7?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Finally finished S6.

I guess I’ll put stuff in spoilers
    They jumped to Fitz’s location, and I assume Simmons didn’t know where he was because of operational security.

I will place a good bet that we either get flashbacks to what FitzSimmons did or a whole episode that fills in what they did.

May is gonna be pissed when she sees that LMD.

Really not sure why Daisy didn’t try and Quake the shrike out of Yo-Yo.

Is Deke gonna become his own ancestor?

• Options
    I am missing something with that last question. How? Why? Where? Who? It does not compute.

The LMD is just a stupid idea top to bottom. No one should be happy to see that thing.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I am missing something with that last question. How? Why? Where? Who? It does not compute.

The LMD is just a stupid idea top to bottom. No one should be happy to see that thing.

With regards to Deke next season:
    Are they gonna pull a “Roswell that ends well” with Deke in the Fry role? I’m thinking he becomes a grandparent to either Fitz or Simmons.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I still think it would have worked better if we never got Sarge.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's pretty much doomed no matter what:
    Sarge was at least partly Coulson kinda sorta. But same problem- just keep Coulson around.

The LMD is a damn robot redshirt, yet we're supposed to think this thing is Coulson and they'll all act like it is?

Or I guess the tone of the activation scene was a red herring and May will blow the thing up 30 seconds into next season.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Curious if they're going to address the whole alternate universe thing after Endgame kind screwed them over.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Fuckin' finally.

edit: Spoilers for last season.
    I think the thing with Coulson would work better if Sarge hadn't existed. A year without him and everyone dealing with that, then this thing pops up, would have been a heck of a gut-punch.

Still very much looking forward to the season though.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    A bit of a spoiler but looks like an Agent Carter character is coming back for the final season of SHIELD

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Shame it's not Agent Carter herself. Using tine travel to resolve the lingering plot left in Season 2 would have been nice.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I'm assuming from the announcement of a start date, everything is "in the can"? ie, filming is complete, and the delay was due to post-production and an intent to have it air over Summer.

Cause nothing would piss me off more than getting part way through the season, and having it stop indefinitely because of Covid quarantine, like the current situation with Supernatural (7 eps remaining, 5 complete needing post-prod work, last two yet to be filmed, as of the lockdown).

Covid is going to fuck up a LOT of shows. And I don't just mean if someone irreplaceable succumbs. While you'ld hope that most companies would just push pause, contracts are going to exhaust, people are going to want to move on, companies are going to rethink investments. As much as people have had plenty of time to devour existing material, this could see an effect similar to the writer's strike 12 years ago, that sunk a lot of good, but not commercially successful shows.

• Options
    I believe they filmed seasons 6 & 7 at the same time. So yeah, they're done.

I'm kind of curious as to which shows were able to finish their seasons. Looks like Supernatural was shut down with only a few weeks left...so maybe 1 or 2 episodes to go. Damn show can't die.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    I'm assuming from the announcement of a start date, everything is "in the can"? ie, filming is complete, and the delay was due to post-production and an intent to have it air over Summer.

Cause nothing would piss me off more than getting part way through the season, and having it stop indefinitely because of Covid quarantine, like the current situation with Supernatural (7 eps remaining, 5 complete needing post-prod work, last two yet to be filmed, as of the lockdown).

Covid is going to fuck up a LOT of shows. And I don't just mean if someone irreplaceable succumbs. While you'ld hope that most companies would just push pause, contracts are going to exhaust, people are going to want to move on, companies are going to rethink investments. As much as people have had plenty of time to devour existing material, this could see an effect similar to the writer's strike 12 years ago, that sunk a lot of good, but not commercially successful shows.
    Plus this will absolutely delay the next season as well. So shows that would have premiered in the Fall may not get their shot at all, in addition to returning shows' production being put on hold so that they won't premiere until the mid-season.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Totally Wild Speculation for when and where this season takes place:
    AOS is now in the timeline from the last scene of Endgame.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I quit the show after the first episode last season. Did it get better? Because I got real tired of "our heroes missed each other by a second/don't tell each other important information for the flimsiest of reasons" writing that has slowly taken root in the show, and I also thought the idea of not-Coulson was stupid (if you want to keep Coulson alive, why no just do that? Or if you're going to bring in a lookalike, why not wait a few episodes to make it shocking?).

• Options
    Kindof Sortof?

The annual "Fitz and Simmons are separated" arc was way too long, but I guess we got a 'high as fuck' episode with Simmons and Daisy out of it, so that's... something. Deke stepped up as well as being a very good caricature of techbro, and we got a Mulan reference for May. But then they also killed a couple people they probably didn't need to (and shouldn't have anyway), and had an episode cliffhanger that would only work for the viewers but did not make sense for the characters. Also Sarge's sidekicks were better than Sarge himself.

Character beats were okay-to-good, the actual story.... eh. Probably a symptom of them thinking they were cancelled and wrote last season as a finale, but then given another season so they had to scramble.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    15-second promo video, spoilered because the thumbnail spoils a character reveal that was already mentioned in here:

SteevL on
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    15-second promo video, spoilered because the thumbnail spoils a character reveal that was already mentioned in here:
    Well okay then.
    Agent Carter (the person) completely missing Hydra infiltrating SHIELD from the get-go looks a lot more plausible if Quake & Co. are running interference.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Well okay then.
    Agent Carter (the person) completely missing Hydra infiltrating SHIELD from the get-go looks a lot more plausible if Quake & Co. are running interference.

That could be interesting...
    Coulson's Crew not just have to watch, but have to actively make sure that Hydra infiltrates SHIELD, else they risk issues with their own timeline.

• Options
    Well okay then.

Coulson's Crew not just have to watch, but have to actively make sure that Hydra infiltrates SHIELD, else they risk issues with their own timeline.

But they don’t. And the proof of that is literally walking around with them.
    Deke.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    No no no I don't accept this for one reason.
    There should have been more seasons of agent Carter. Any chance they resolve the cliffhanger?

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Well okay then.

But they don’t. And the proof of that is literally walking around with them.
    Deke.

Also coulson and shield should know the avenger.
    Hulk already said splintered timelines . As in multiple. No reason to have to save a timeline

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Sweet. May 27th can't get here soon enough. I want it now! :P :D

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Sweet. May 27th can't get here soon enough. I want it now! :P :D

May 27th. Which is either next week, or next year. The passage of time is both instanteous and eternal.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    We're officially a week away from the start of the final season! I haven't watched any new footage that might've been released in the last few weeks. Hoping it's a good sendoff.

I'm kind of curious how well the show will do during the time of COVID-19 lockdowns that prevent a lot of TV shows from shooting more episodes. They've had this season in the can for almost a year now. Maybe it'll do better in ratings than previous seasons.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm both excited and sad. This has become one of my favorite shows, up there with Eureka and SG-1.

Can't wait to see what they do to finish this.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I kinda hate the way this show seems to regularly twist its own story into pretzels to justify keeping actors that it just fucking wrote off.
    The whole "Sarge" plot felt like it was really just a long-winded excuse as to why Clark Gregg was still around.

Which... I mean it's fine if you don't wanna lose Clark Gregg.

But then... don't kill his character. Don't kill his freaking character and then make up some stupid shit about how this is really another character that looks exactly the same. Do or don't.

They're headed into their third time doing this.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RT800 wrote: »
    I kinda hate the way this show seems to regularly twist its own story into pretzels to justify keeping actors that it just fucking wrote off.
    The whole "Sarge" plot felt like it was really just a long-winded excuse as to why Clark Gregg was still around.

But then... don't kill his character. Don't kill his freaking character and then make up some stupid shit about how this is really another character that looks exactly the same. Do or don't.

To be fair, they thought season five was the last and wanted to write the finale as a series finale. The order for the 6 and 7th seasons came very late into the production cycle of season 5. So if you don't like season 6, it's very easy to ignore and just pretend season's five finale was it.

Were I part of the production, I would have found a way to write Gregg back into the show too since he is the lynch pin of the show.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options

The Sarge thing was weaksauce, for the exact reason you mentioned. Massive fucking coincidence, etc. Would have been much better if they'd just left Coulson dead for the season, and had someone else be Sarge.

Don't mind what looks to be the current iteration (LMD version of Coulson), or the revival of Ward for Agents of Hydra (which I thought was awesome).

• Options

The Sarge thing was weaksauce, for the exact reason you mentioned. Massive fucking coincidence, etc. Would have been much better if they'd just left Coulson dead for the season, and had someone else be Sarge.

Don't mind what looks to be the current iteration (LMD version of Coulson), or the revival of Ward for Agents of Hydra (which I thought was awesome).
    It wasn't a coincidence though. Sarge was literally created in Coulson's image from the time he entered the dreamzone to close the rift.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Oh lucky me, I actually had a draft about this very subject. I do actually kind of feel like the show is pulling its punches more than it used to, in particular with deaths/exits. Other than the actual initial setup of the show (Coulson is alive!), I don't remember the show going back on deaths that much in the first few seasons.

(all seasons spoilers)
    For a while I expected Raina to pop back up, but she never did. Ward/Brett Dalton became a fan favorite, but they still wrote him out. Plus Lincoln who admittedly was not a fan favorite. Or Tripp.

In contrast, at the end of Season 5 the show did big deaths (or impending deaths) for both Fitz and Coulson, and the next season...they're still here. Sure, Clark Gregg was a different character, and to be fair that's kind of the same thing as Ward/Hive. But then immediately after Sarge is gone they drop in LMD Coulson. With Fitz, I do appreciate that they already had that loophole sort of built into the narrative, but it's still another character brought back from the dead. Heck, they also killed Enoch last season and brought him back right along with Fitz. There's also the fakeout May death from the finale.

• Options
    edited May 2020

It wasn't a coincidence though. Sarge was literally created in Coulson's image from the time he entered the dreamzone to close the rift.

Thank you, that's what I was going to say.
    Sarge was a creation of the nightmare dimension and was a pretty clever way of bringing back Gregg and tying into the show in a way that made sense and worked within the continuity.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Thank you, that's what I was going to say.
    Sarge was a creation of the nightmare dimension and was a pretty clever way of bringing back Gregg and tying into the show in a way that made sense and worked within the continuity.
    There was also the added bonus of making the wildcard character look familiar, making dealing with him complicated, and making his eventual heel turn more damaging.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Reminder that the final season starts tonight

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA