As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2B Or Not 2B [Nier: Automata]

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Route A still, but getting on I think
    Ran into A2, who pretty literally seems like 2B with her hair down

Poor little Forest King. Wee li'l baby getting all stabbed to shit and gone

I don't seem to be doing a ton of damage for where I am. Maybe I need to... grind for part upgrades? My base shortsword is at level 3 but my longsword is still 2 and the Beastlord is at 1. I know the castle has Pyrite, at least, but I also need more Warped Wires. Fah!
    How's your chip configuration?

Have you tried combining chips?
    I would love to combine lots and lots of weapon attack boosts, but that requires grinding for the chips themselves, and, well. You know.

TwcbbjM.gif

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you should never need to buy chips, and their slot count is bad anyways

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Hey, that's about where I am too. Let me know if you find a renewable source of Warped Wires, 'cause I dumped my whole stash into my spear and I could really use more. I wish the bestiary tracked drops or something.

I think level plays a bigger part in the damage formula than actual weapon stats, 'cause stuff in the 30s dies slow no matter how much I upgrade my stuff.

What level are you? I'm sitting pretty at 17
    I'm actually 26 right now, but I've been binging on sidequests a bit.

Also, I just found a warped wire. It was from one of those dinosaur-looking guys who drop stretched coils. Unfortunately it seems to be rare and there are, to my present knowledge, precisely two of those enemies in the whole world, so that isn't really much help.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Definitely don't worry about upgrading weapons too much for now. You'll be rolling in mats towards the end of the game (you'll only need to grind if you want everything to level 4)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    and why wouldn't you want everything at 4

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

Yeah, how else are we supposed to read all the weapon stories? By looking them up on a wiki like some sort of cheater?

• Options
    nier automata is the only game in the last year i keep thinking "...I should replay that"

it's got a good sticking power

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

I mean, you do, and I did, but I sure as hell didn't grind them out in A.

• Options
    look if wyborn tries to do everything in A after his bold claims about yoko taro being a known quantity to him, wyborn deserves everything he gets

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Definitely don't worry about upgrading weapons too much for now. You'll be rolling in mats towards the end of the game (you'll only need to grind if you want everything to level 4)

that and vendors eventually become available that sell most of the things you need so farming them is basically pointless

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just remembered something that added an extra gut punch to route C
    If you keep using the robot vendor there, he talks about how he has a friend in the forest that he's hoping to learn from

It's heavily implied that his friend is Masamune and he'll be learning to upgrade weapons to level 4, which saves you having to do that annoying block pulling stuff every time

Later on he's like "yeah i'm gonna visit him soon"

Then the village burns and everyone dies and no of COURSE you don't have your convenient vendor, what part of "everyone dies" did you not understand???

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    you should never need to buy chips, and their slot count is bad anyways

Nah I'm just lean on cash. I mean I need money to combine them, and also it would take a lot of chips to get them upgraded too high

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Don't spend serious time or money on things until late game.

• Options
    I'm yung lean on cash, personally

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    YES!
    qa2bxurdrc2s.jpg

They just better make 9S and A2 also.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I know his inventory probably changes each ending, but the vendor in the amusement park eventually sells a bunch of those drops like wires and stuff. If you're short an ingredient hit him up and see if he's got em.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Wrapped up ending A. A lot of stuff sure did happen!
    I am a little disturbed by how cavalier Pascal seemed to be about the whole murder-suicide cult thing. I have a bad feeling about how things might go in future routes.

Also got started on the second playthrough.
    Ahahahaha oh no! They're using the actual literal recording of when I did 2B's setup in the last playthrough! I messed with 9S so much. O cruelest fate! Hoist with my own petard!

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    What the hell game

ending E
    How do you turn a credits shmup sequence into an emotionally powerful experience. What the fuck

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Finally got around to finishing playthrough A

Real glad I pushed through and just mainlined it to finish it, because play through B is already doing some neat stuff

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    What the hell game

ending E
    How do you turn a credits shmup sequence into an emotionally powerful experience. What the fuck

Did. You. Do. The. Thing?

• Options
    What the hell game

ending E

Did. You. Do. The. Thing?
    I'm keeping it on loan for another week or so so that I can wrap up side quests and fight the secret boss. It will then be returned to the ether

Steam ID
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I want to talk about Nier, but I don't want to clog up the Podcast thread or whatever with it, so here I am!

@YaYa generously lent this to me, and I'm a goodly ways in. I've gotten ending A and "endings" G & T. Workin' my way through my second real go 'round.

Part of the fun in a heady, philosophically-minded game like this, for me, is speculating where stuff is and where it's going. I've managed to successfully dodge any and all spoilers, and ideally I'd like to keep it that way! So while I'm gonna make some probably-way-off-base predictions, I'd greatly appreciate it if responses aren't """oblique""" hints about what's to come, or anything like that. I'm digging the mysteries enough that I'd like to preserve 'em, and those kinds of responses are rarely as subtle as folks think.

But anyway! Prediction time!
    My one big hunch right now is that the humans have been dead as long as the aliens, if not longer. And that's assuming the aliens actually ever existed, which I'm still not totally sold on. Given that we already have the uploading of consciousnesses in play, I'm half expecting the Council of Humanity, or whatever it's called, to just be an uploaded collection of consciousnesses, waiting until earth is safe enough to redownload themselves to some swag new bodies. I can definitely see a version of this story where the machines were made my man, but they fucked it up and the machines started to go rogue/gain sentience. So humanity builds new robots with sentience already accounted for (the androids), and gives them a narrative that will compel them to follow orders in a way mere programming wouldn't ("Aliens took over our home with the help of those terrible machines! Kill them all and save the planet!")

I also think there's a theme developing i/r/t one-directional affection, and the damage it can cause. It's coming through in my dealings with Jean-Paul. He's got these adoring fans that he seems to actively despise, and this one-way connection makes them go so crazy that, in one notable case, she turns herself into a giant murderous monstrosity with an army of crucified androids.

There's some interesting stuff going on in the importance of perspective - both mechanically (boy, this game has a cooler camera than I think I've ever seen in a game) and narratively [From 2B's perspective, 9S is a softboy who's projecting emotions onto the machines. When you play as 9S, and hack into the opera singer, you see that he [i]knows[/i] they have feelings (or think they do, if that's a distinction worth making), and is just kind of a wuss in how he expresses this discovery to 2B].

Stuff that I've seen that I've thought was very cool:
    This game has a way with atmosphere and a way with a reveal that, especially when they work together, is unrivaled. The big desert setpiece, with the robots crudely immitating humans and then getting all chanty before turning into a giant vagina and plorping out Adam, was an insanely striking sequence. And then it manages to top itself, with Eve exploding out of his brother's chest. That shit was the best kind of bonkers. The reveal on the Forest King was top notch. The atmosphere of the robo-suicide-cult, and the escape sequence through their mass suicide, was impressively bleak and upsetting. The sudden reveal of the underground, all-white city was jaw-dropping in its unexpected and uncanny scope.

The big moments work so well, for me, because the pacing is top-notch. Before a particularly big reveal, it seems like the game levels out. It has you do some fetch-questing, some basic grinding. Some filler, to get you settling into a groove and getting comfortable. And then it upends you, and the gameplay clicks into its more freewheeling "Now I'm a shmup, now I'm a twinstick shooter, now I'm a platformer" chaos. The gameplay getting more unpredictable right when the story's getting weird again is a cool way to blend form and function. It's really, really well done.

One question I would actually like an answer to - how do I ride animals? I've got bait galore and the thing that keeps animals from fleeing, but I can't figure out how to mount that bad boy.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Oh

Oooooooooh!
    I have no idea why it previously did not hit me why Eve came out of Adam's chest without much explanation

Y'know, in the general rib region

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Good of you to join us, Pooro

Together, we shall become as gods

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Poro, did you ever play the first Nier?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I did not. This is my first exposure to the series.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I did not. This is my first exposure to the series.

hoo boy

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I want to talk about Nier, but I don't want to clog up the Podcast thread or whatever with it, so here I am!

@YaYa generously lent this to me, and I'm a goodly ways in. I've gotten ending A and "endings" G & T. Workin' my way through my second real go 'round.

Part of the fun in a heady, philosophically-minded game like this, for me, is speculating where stuff is and where it's going. I've managed to successfully dodge any and all spoilers, and ideally I'd like to keep it that way! So while I'm gonna make some probably-way-off-base predictions, I'd greatly appreciate it if responses aren't """oblique""" hints about what's to come, or anything like that. I'm digging the mysteries enough that I'd like to preserve 'em, and those kinds of responses are rarely as subtle as folks think.

But anyway! Prediction time!
    My one big hunch right now is that the humans have been dead as long as the aliens, if not longer. And that's assuming the aliens actually ever existed, which I'm still not totally sold on. Given that we already have the uploading of consciousnesses in play, I'm half expecting the Council of Humanity, or whatever it's called, to just be an uploaded collection of consciousnesses, waiting until earth is safe enough to redownload themselves to some swag new bodies. I can definitely see a version of this story where the machines were made my man, but they fucked it up and the machines started to go rogue/gain sentience. So humanity builds new robots with sentience already accounted for (the androids), and gives them a narrative that will compel them to follow orders in a way mere programming wouldn't ("Aliens took over our home with the help of those terrible machines! Kill them all and save the planet!")

I also think there's a theme developing i/r/t one-directional affection, and the damage it can cause. It's coming through in my dealings with Jean-Paul. He's got these adoring fans that he seems to actively despise, and this one-way connection makes them go so crazy that, in one notable case, she turns herself into a giant murderous monstrosity with an army of crucified androids.

There's some interesting stuff going on in the importance of perspective - both mechanically (boy, this game has a cooler camera than I think I've ever seen in a game) and narratively [From 2B's perspective, 9S is a softboy who's projecting emotions onto the machines. When you play as 9S, and hack into the opera singer, you see that he [i]knows[/i] they have feelings (or think they do, if that's a distinction worth making), and is just kind of a wuss in how he expresses this discovery to 2B].

Stuff that I've seen that I've thought was very cool:
    This game has a way with atmosphere and a way with a reveal that, especially when they work together, is unrivaled. The big desert setpiece, with the robots crudely immitating humans and then getting all chanty before turning into a giant vagina and plorping out Adam, was an insanely striking sequence. And then it manages to top itself, with Eve exploding out of his brother's chest. That shit was the best kind of bonkers. The reveal on the Forest King was top notch. The atmosphere of the robo-suicide-cult, and the escape sequence through their mass suicide, was impressively bleak and upsetting. The sudden reveal of the underground, all-white city was jaw-dropping in its unexpected and uncanny scope.

The big moments work so well, for me, because the pacing is top-notch. Before a particularly big reveal, it seems like the game levels out. It has you do some fetch-questing, some basic grinding. Some filler, to get you settling into a groove and getting comfortable. And then it upends you, and the gameplay clicks into its more freewheeling "Now I'm a shmup, now I'm a twinstick shooter, now I'm a platformer" chaos. The gameplay getting more unpredictable right when the story's getting weird again is a cool way to blend form and function. It's really, really well done.

One question I would actually like an answer to - how do I ride animals? I've got bait galore and the thing that keeps animals from fleeing, but I can't figure out how to mount that bad boy.

I think the bait let's you approach and the satchel or sachet or something lets you ride them? I think bait just makes them approach so you can gank them.

• Options
    I never used the consumable bait items so I'm not sure how they work, but if you funnel enough money into the inventor subquest just outside of Pascal's village he'll give you a few permanent items related to animal riding

Steam ID
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I didn't use any of the consumables besides health items period

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    What combination of auto healing did everyone land on? I think my primaries were health on kill and then auto-item. Straight up lifesteal was too small to have a good effect.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    What combination of auto healing did everyone land on? I think my primaries were health on kill and then auto-item. Straight up lifesteal was too small to have a good effect.

Health on kill definitely gives huge returns even at a low level, and healing over time is super good just because of infinite invincibility dodge spam. I still need to play through the game without those chips, they pretty much trivialize the game.

• Options
    Imagine the psychopath who plays this game, with this save system, on the "one hit kills you" difficulty

• Options
    Imagine the psychopath who plays this game, with this save system, on the "one hit kills you" difficulty

if you can get the witch time chip early it isn't THAT bad

• Options
    I mean, I wouldn't do it cause NOPE

• Options
    One of the things that makes me not especially enamored with attempting higher difficulty levels is that the screen ends up so cluttered with bullets and explosions and numbers that it badly obscures enemy tells.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    So here's the thing

My saved game may have been deleted

But I don't need any sass about this fact

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    So here's the thing