Options

[Total War] Roman man-things main-kill each other in Empire Divided for Rome II!

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Skin wolves and marauder hunters with javelins will fuck them up fairly well.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I just tried the first hunt in the book against the Frostwyrm, and my army just got wrecked. What is good against ice trolls?

Skinwolves, fire, marauder spearmen.

Oh and they have no Leadership. Flank/rear charges

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I brought the luminarch of kysh to a fight against the Norscans and....the damn thing blue a half health blue wyrm out of the sky. Like, Kabloooey it's dead dead. If only it had more than 10 shots. Have to make them count.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Is the AI still dumb about recruitment? As in, am I going to fighting the same starter tier armies throughout the game?

They are really dumb, but their stupidity is not necessarily limited to the starting units. I failed to take a screenshot of it, but in my Norsca campaign I ended up facing a Grimgor army that had somewhere between 10 and 12 catapults in it. I knew it would be a slaughter, but was honestly surprised when his entire force managed to get less than 10 kills combined.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I went with Norsca, and glad I did; I picked Throgg, king of the trolls, since Snarsnik was my fav. The ice troll king didn't disappoint, vomiting copiously upon a frost wyrm in my first campaign battle with him

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    How come some races don't get regiments of renown?

• Options
    edited August 2017

The core races received them as DLC. Vampires and Empire get them through the Grim and the Grave and Greenskins and Dwarves from the King and the Warlord. The DLC races just received regiments of renown for free in the most recent update.

Edit: Mind for the DLC races you might need to get on the Total War website and login to "claim" the new regiments of renown. So if you're missing them for Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, Wood Elves, Bretonnia, or Norsca, that is probably what is up.

Iblis on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

I thought all the races had them now.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I thought all the races had them now.

They do, you just have to unlock them, you Havre to log into total war.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Just posted on the Total War Twitter Page:

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    20799236_1580668482008346_6404027313958317379_n.jpg?oh=1c050c8dd6079e02e566a47ee1fc6389&oe=5A3202C8

Stupid-silly Man-thing scared of shadows in the dark-dark...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The end of my Hunts playthrough was me hitting enter and watching Chaos wreck the world. It did not take long. Part of me though the Wood Elves would be a problem but nope, they went through the forest like a wrecking ball.

I don't think I'm ever going to do the "Become The Everchosen" ending. Getting Archaon hard enough to go and do his thing is the proper role of Norsca.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Are there actual 'endings' for Norsca?

• Options
    Are there actual 'endings' for Norsca?

Their "final battle" is the third challenger, then when they summon Chaos they get the Archaon cutscene. That could be your final cutscene, if you already took out Brettonia & The Empire.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I broke the game with the frostwyrm quest. I can no longer pursue the quest and I can't pick another one. It's a bummer

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    20799236_1580668482008346_6404027313958317379_n.jpg?oh=1c050c8dd6079e02e566a47ee1fc6389&oe=5A3202C8

Stupid-silly Man-thing scared of shadows in the dark-dark...

... Wait, are Skaven secretly Fall Out Boy fans?

I wouldn't have pegged Skaven for FOB. They seem more like... I dunno. Cannibal Corpse fans or something.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    CA Released the new World Map for the game.
    vortex_map_w_factions_final_fulres.jpg
    Aw man. Since the main skaven clans align with Clan Mors (Queek Headtaker) and Clan Pestilens (Lord Skrolk) I guess we won't get great-mighty Lord Thanquol, the most foul-glorious of all skavenlords. Much-much disappointment.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Waffen wrote: »
    CA Released the new World Map for the game.
    vortex_map_w_factions_final_fulres.jpg
    Aw man. Since the main skaven clans align with Clan Mors (Queek Headtaker) and Clan Pestilens (Lord Skrolk) I guess we won't get great-mighty Lord Thanquol, the most foul-glorious of all skavenlords. Much-much disappointment.
    Could still be FLC or a lord pack. I do hope it isn't Pestilens in by default, mind. I like them the least of all the Skaven clans since they're pretty blatantly just "Nurgle, but rats this time!"

Though they make a lot of sense for game two. So not surprised if it's them. CA also has done a good job of getting me on board with things I don't like normally.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    So Tomb Kings feel like a definite DLC. Their lands are already there and the vampires there definitely feel like placeholders. Not the first time CA put a completely new type of faction in the game. Araby is a maybe but more likely than others, though if CA wants to be lazy they could just say, "Oh but the crusaders wiped them all out," which would be shitty. Thinking about it, it would also be a little shitty if the minor factions based on Brettonia and the Empire would just have Brettonian and Empire maps. Skeggi is a possibility and they would already have models and animations.

The ones that are probably not going to be in this one are Nippon, Cathay, Ind, or Khuresh, though Cathay historically tried to own Southlands trade, and the Southlands and western Naggaroth and Lustria would be where those factions could come from.

• Options
    Skeggi has been spotted as an NPC. Tomb Kings I assume will be the first DLC army they plan for TW:W2 since we know their equivalent of game one's campaign packs is supposed to be bigger and have four legendary lords from the start, so a major faction would make sense. Tomb Kings have enough lords to support that, and they could easily have several different factions vying for control since that would boost replay value a lot.

• Options
    Jesus I love playing as Wood Elves so much. I've been used the Deepwood Scouts a lot more and circling them around the back of the opponent before I charge. I killed over a thousand ungor spearmen in seven minutes, they thought they were doing so well before the second row of archers showed up too...

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Jesus I love playing as Wood Elves so much. I've been used the Deepwood Scouts a lot more and circling them around the back of the opponent before I charge. I killed over a thousand ungor spearmen in seven minutes, they thought they were doing so well before the second row of archers showed up too...

I struggle terribly with making wood elves work. I think because I'm stuck in hammer and anvil mode and their front line just seems made out of paper. I can't seem to get a solid flank before my lines are breaking.

Maybe they're just not for me. I do fine with chaos, brettonia and VC. Though, I've not tried tree dorks yet* since their monsters don't really appeal to me.

* I played them for maybe 20 turns and didn't like their roster

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Their best line units are tree men, but you can't always afford the amber for those. Dryads work ok. Really wood elves are all about finding ways to pour on the arrow pain from a variety of angles, and their skirmishers are shit hot

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

I struggle terribly with making wood elves work. I think because I'm stuck in hammer and anvil mode and their front line just seems made out of paper. I can't seem to get a solid flank before my lines are breaking.

Maybe they're just not for me. I do fine with chaos, brettonia and VC. Though, I've not tried tree dorks yet* since their monsters don't really appeal to me.

Yeah, Wood Elves w/Orion are all flanks and ambush. Ideally, your archers and heavy-hitting units like wardancers and wild riders should be moving into, if not already at a flanking position before the enemy army comes close to your Eternal Guard. If you don't have a decent chunk of your army hiding in trees and/or stationed out in vanguard deploy, either the map is very much against you or you're doing it wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I wish beastmen had a tier 2 ranged unit to go above the fairly weak ungor raider. they're built to ambush/flank like wood elves but they don't really have the units to do so nearly as effectively.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Don't fuck with Kislev though, they're the only ones who can get to you really easily and they don't mess around.

I'd expected Kislev to be a walkover since they always seem to get smashed early on, but they're actually incredibly tough. I guess because the thing that generally smashes them is Chaos, and in a Norsca campaign they're not going to appear until at/near the end. They've completely derailed my hunts; I was focusing on getting the Frost Wyrm, but now its all hands on deck to defend against them. I guess maybe I shouldn't have raided them quite so much? Fortunately their armies are all tier one garbage and I've just upgraded to tier 2, Trolls absolutely destroy their basic infantry, the only unit of theirs that really gives me trouble is pistoliers.

Two Norsca-related questions;
    1. Are Manticores any good? I've not heard much about them so I'm assuming they're "meh".
    2. Does the "Raiders of the East" tech that boosts your sacking income 50% include Kislev? It just says "Empire" but I'm assuming that means "Anybody who uses Empire units as their troops". Rather than the one actual "Empire" faction specifically.

• Options
    Kislev aren't the Empire as far as the diplomacy screen says.

I'd stay away from them. Raid all the other people who can't fuck with you as easily. They don't have particularly good shit.

• Options
    Kislev aren't the Empire as far as the diplomacy screen says.

I'd stay away from them. Raid all the other people who can't fuck with you as easily. They don't have particularly good shit.

Well they declared war on me and won't take a peace treaty, so I'm all out of luck on that front. I was planning to go raid Bretonnia until they decided that I had to die, I'm hoping they'll take a peace treaty after I beat them a few times so that I can go back to doing exactly that.

• Options
    If you sack a few Kislev settlements around the edges they usually get the hint. They normally have one big nasty stack so if you can isolate that and either encircle it or Benny Hill it you should be fine

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

My favorite style of wood elf army is Argwylon based, and I warmly recommend giving it a shot. Basically you have a thin line of Treemen and Treekin in front of a huge wall of archers (preferably ~2/3 of the army), with some fliers on the side (and possibly a few units of cavalry) for flank charges and war machine killing.

The enemy will take enormous losses even getting close to your line, and at that point you simply bog down their units with the tree boys and keep firing. You should be able to fire into combat with nearly no risk of killing your own troops due to their low numbers and toughness, and you'll have ample opportunity to focus-fire any particularly deadly troops the enemy might have. Life mages are highly recommended to keep up the HP of your moops. Needless to say, having a few forest dragons makes this strategy even more fun.

Edit: In fact, this is exactly what I'm going to do when I get home from work today.

Vic on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    One of my favorite wood elf battles was with 2 armies vs 3 WE armies, and we all basically packed the same archer+shielded infantry stacks since this was early game. It was a strange mix of a running gun fight (Bow in this case) and a battle of attrition out of WW1 where the AI and I would chase each other from defensible positions into no man's land and bodies kept piling up. That day arrows blot out the sun. We were in the winter section of Athel Loren so the colorful armor on the dead troops and the blood on the ground contrasted with the white of the snow.

Makes me wish for a 40k: Epic game by CA or something with a WW1 or WW2 setting. I've tried stuff like Wargame, World in Conflict, the Ubisoft one with the the voice commands, but none of those are infantry based enough and I do not care for tanks and armored vehicles except in context of how infantry interact with them. Planes and helis are favorites of mine though.

• Options
    If you sack a few Kislev settlements around the edges they usually get the hint. They normally have one big nasty stack so if you can isolate that and either encircle it or Benny Hill it you should be fine

I've made a bunch of saves so if I need to load back to an earlier one to survive I can, but the position I was in at the end of the last session was:
    • Holed up in a settlement with a level 2 watchtower (there's only one way Kislev can get to me so I pre-emptively fortified it just in case)
    • Two stacks bearing down on me; one full stack and another half-dead that I defeated in the field and stupidly didn't finish off because I assumed they run home)
    • Army at close to 100% strength, only Wulfrik seriously injured
    • Half a stack of monsters on their way to reinforce (Manticore, ice trolls and skinwolves)

So if I can beat their one-and-a-half stacks with my 1+ beefy garrison, I should be in the clear, but at that point I'm not sure whether my best bet is to sue for peace immediately or follow up and raze a bunch of stuff while their army is down. I really shouldn't have messed with them in the first place, but now that I have I've pretty much got no choice but to go all in.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Shielded Eternal Guards with Earth Blood can hold up pretty well until you get enough Amber for Treemen. 43 defense makes them pretty hard to hit by low tier Bretonnian, Dwarf, Empire, and even Orc infantry. They also have the silver shield, which makes them very resilient to missile fire. And you can get +12 defense from Orion's melee skill tree.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING

• Options
    ...what?!

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Wwwwhhhaaaaaattttt?

Omg no way!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It looks like the second Legendary Lord besides Queek Headtaker is going to be a Pestilens guy probably, which makes sense with the whole Lustria thing. Maybe Nurglitch, or Skrolk?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Holy shit what was that big thing?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Holy shit what was that big thing?

The thing fighting the dragon at the end? It's a Hell Pit Abomination

90-09b.jpg

PSN Fleety2009
This discussion has been closed.