As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]ing with Babish

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm glad anime continues to justify peoples stereotypical belief in it.

broar listen

you see this post and you want to defend Keijo. I looked it up and it is about an anime where women try to knock each other off gladiator pedastals with their tits and/or ass. Don't.

Its funny cause its played 100% straight, its parody of Sports anime which is a genre I like very much.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm glad anime continues to justify peoples stereotypical belief in it.

broar listen

you see this post and you want to defend Keijo. I looked it up and it is about an anime where women try to knock each other off gladiator pedastals with their tits and/or ass. Don't.

That does sound absolutely indefensible.

It cannot be defended that a real gameshow has not been made of it yet.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/basFyoMSjds

I should make fried pickles.

I love fried pickles.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I'd have to sue if some ladies started boob fighting each other.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Huh, apparently my two storage drives were both 7200 and my new double size one is 5400. Just for storage of movies and photos and shit though so should be fine. SSD for gaming.

Now to move 1tb of data from the dying one (I hope it's the right one oh god) to the new one yay

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    D: I accidentally spoiled the ending to Inglourious Basterds to a work friend. :(

• Options

is that the anime about women hitting each other with their butts?

hey come on now

sometimes they hit each other with their tits

I cannot tell if this is a joke or not.

Nope
    The series is set in an alternate reality where a new, women-only, gambling sport known as "keijo", quickly becomes a fad in Japan since its introduction in the dawn of the 21st century. Keijo matches are held atop floating platforms, referred to as a "Land", in large water-filled stadiums where swimsuit-clad players fight to incapacitate their opponents or push them out to the water, but they can only hit each other using their breasts or buttocks.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    My interview slash teaching demo is in 20 minutes

*Hyperventilates*

@Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud @MrMister @Shivahn

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    D: I accidentally spoiled the ending to Inglourious Basterds to a work friend. :(

Hi...Hitler dies?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Brad Pitt won the match via butt KO

Edit- dang almost gave it away again

navgoose on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

hey come on now

navgoose wrote: »
    I'd have to sue if some ladies started boob fighting each other.

they can use their boobs as weapon in the noble sport of keijo

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    This is getting into math shit but how much would say 2 1 pint containers of Ice Cream be melted if I walked 20 minutes from grocery store to home in like 70 degree heat?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7CFlJK0z4

Someday, video game graphics will look like this.

uh ReBoot is the real-life story of how computers work

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

hey come on now

Nope
    The series is set in an alternate reality where a new, women-only, gambling sport known as "keijo", quickly becomes a fad in Japan since its introduction in the dawn of the 21st century. Keijo matches are held atop floating platforms, referred to as a "Land", in large water-filled stadiums where swimsuit-clad players fight to incapacitate their opponents or push them out to the water, but they can only hit each other using their breasts or buttocks.

Is this, like, smart, incisively satirical dystopian fiction or just TnA fanservice?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, kick @Houn from the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. @Houn banned from this thread.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    IrTrvde.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Arch wrote: »

Hi...Hitler dies?
    It's not expected that Hitler would get murdered in a WWII movie.

• Options
  • Options

hey come on now

Nope

Is this, like, smart, incisively satirical dystopian fiction or just TnA fanservice?

Now I can't tell if YOU are being serious :biggrin:

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

hey come on now

Nope

Look at the photo on the previous page. You know your answer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Hug him Zangief style.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    wow japan you finally did it

you created an anime so shamelessly pervy even you wouldn't watch it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    @Jacobkosh

Bosch season 3 today on the primes!

I really hope they resolve his mothers death more like the books than they kind of did last season.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    navgoose wrote: »

hey come on now

Nope

Now I can't tell if YOU are being serious :biggrin:

Dude, there's a ton of suprisingly smart pieces of media that look dumb and shitty.

Forgive me for being optimistic.

• Options

hey come on now

Nope

Both kind of, like its played as a 100% straight shounen anime, its not a gag anime.

Is it silly and cheesy yeah, but it never comes off as exploitative imo.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Dude, what? I'm pretty sure Eiken is way pervier.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    My interview slash teaching demo is in 20 minutes

*Hyperventilates*

"Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud" MrMister Shivahn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbkZrOU1Zag

• Options

hey come on now

Nope

Both kind of, like its played as a 100% straight shounen anime, its not a gag anime.

Based on the synopsis I am very skeptical of this claim.

• Options

hey come on now

Nope

Yeah and playboy had some really great articles.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

hey come on now

Nope

Well thats nice I read and watch it, have you?

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

We'll have to see if Scum's Wish is profitable to see if that is true.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Guys what do I want for dinner

I'm tempted to make smashburg but I have meat in the freezer

It's only a 1 lub package, I could do a water thaw while I go get buns?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Feral wrote: »
    IrTrvde.jpg

@Ludious

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    This is getting into math shit but how much would say 2 1 pint containers of Ice Cream be melted if I walked 20 minutes from grocery store to home in like 70 degree heat?

what's the measurements for the container

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    @Havelock2.0 I found this from this morning and I was meaning to address it
    I want to like comics

Really I do

But then I read about all the twists, twists that would make M Night Shyamalan blow his load and

I can't guys

I just can't

So like okay, here's the thing: you...don't have to?

Comics are, to some extent, a monthly magazine business. they have the advantages and disadvantages that come with that: they can be topical and relevant with relatively little turnaround time (I mean, six weeks is an eternity in internet time now but it's not actually that long in real-life terms and still way faster than movies, games etc) but they also suffer the pressure of deadlines and having to create a lot of content quickly and that content isn't always as polished or well-thought-out as it could be in an ideal world. Creators get sick and books run late, or people quit or are fired so stories are left hanging unresolved. There are real-world pressures to juice up sales with big event stories and ~shocking twists~.

The end result is that there are a lot of stories of varying quality. Some terrific, some indifferent, and some terrible. But this stuff isn't, like...it doesn't matter the way people (particularly hardcore nerds from other mediums) expect it to matter. CANON is not some iron god. The good stuff will get picked up by other creative people and riffed on and then sometimes their work will be taken back by the source material and recontextualized in turn. (Did you know that like half the details of Superman's origin, including the names of his parents, were invented, not in the comic books, but in the daily newspaper comic strip and the radio show? The radio writers, more experienced than the two teenaged Jewish kids from Cleveland who came up with Superman, realized that people might wonder about what his planet was like and what kind of people his biological parents were. So it goes.)

The indifferent and bad stuff will fade away - or, excitngly, someone will see value in it that nobody else did and end up doing something fantastic with the basic idea. In the mid-1990s, there was a six-month period in the Superman comics where Superman had, because of some kind of accident, been turned into a being of pure energy, so he had a different costume (with blue skin) and different, energy-based powers. The stories were uninspired but at the same time this was happening, the great writer Grant Morrison was doing the monthly Justice League comic. If left to his own devices he probably wouldn't have done a blue electric Superman, but he had to keep pace with what was going on in the rest of his company's magazines, so one month Superman in the JLA comic is suddenly blue. And Morrison did fantastic things with him. While the regular Superman comics were telling a dull soap opera about oh NO my skin is BLUE Morrison figured out a bunch of cool things you could do if you could control light and electricity and it led to some of the very best moments in his comic! He took that straw and spun it into gold.

(This, incidentally, reinforces something I firmly believe, which is that the "quality" of an idea is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less important than the execution, which is something that it's easy to forget if you're just letting the Internet - noted bastion of reasonableness and accuracy - sum things up for you. "Captain America is a secret Nazi," the story that this conversation was originally happening in the context of, could potentially be an interesting story - the problem is just that it's not, and also apparently the writer is apparently a chodelord.)

This is all a long-winded way of saying that superhero comics are an enterprise composed of an ongoing creative conversation between the artists and writers of today and the artists and writers of yesterday who influenced them. People come up with ideas, try them out, remix them, discard them, and so forth.

But the upshot for you as a reader is that you aren't required to engage with any of that! You can just read the good shit! It's fine! I don't know where this idea comes from that getting into, say, Batman comics means that you must personally take on the mantle of understanding, with Talmudic detail, every single Batman story in every medium in the 75-year history of Batman. You can just find a list of good Batman stories and you'll have literally enough material to keep you occupied for months without ever needing to be aware of, I don't know, Detective Comics #621 from September 1994. If it super bothers you that there was a dumb story about a character one time - I dunno. You do you, ultimately, but I see it as, like, there are shitty covers of songs I like out there in the world, but they don't meaningfully detract from what I enjoy.

• Options
    You know I almost want to go back to talking about child abuse over "Is this anime pervy or is it art?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

hey come on now

Nope

Well thats nice I read and watch it, have you?

God no.

Actually being informed about a subject before passing judgement on it would take all the fun away.

This discussion has been closed.