Options

[Wrestling] It was the Best of the Super Juniors, it was the worst of the super juniors...

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    That season of NXT was art.

I want them to rebrand that show and bring it back so bad.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Is JR's contract for NJPW commentary through AXS or NJPW? I figured it was AXS but wasn't sure.

AXS, expires in January

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    JR has enough leverage to demand not to be limited to just WWE now. He doesn't need WWE anymore.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

What's with the wetsuit Pwnan? You going swimming? I looked up what Pwnan means. It means flute.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It is odd to me how both Impact and Smackdown have angles mocking Mauro who will almost certainly be calling New Japan again soon. It's like they learned nothing from WCW mocking Jim Ross. You don't make fun of the better commentator that everybody likes especially when that commentator is going to be doing play by play on a better product.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    you wanna talk about ribs?

apparently, Paul Bearer and Bryan Adams/Crush used to rib Taker

...with cucumbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW2-m86ZKbE

• Options
    It is odd to me how both Impact and Smackdown have angles mocking Mauro who will almost certainly be calling New Japan again soon. It's like they learned nothing from WCW mocking Jim Ross. You don't make fun of the better commentator that everybody likes especially when that commentator is going to be doing play by play on a better product.

New Japan isn't competition to WWE.

That's not an insult, just a fact.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Not quite but they have very quickly become the #2 promotion in North America.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

Eh, depends how you view the Neilson numbers for the AXS New Japan show and TNA.

Does the AXS show get more than 300,000 estimated viewers on average?

• Options
    Neilson.

Doesn't.

Matter.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    even leslie?

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Neilson.

Doesn't.

Matter.

Unfortunately they do till something better comes along, but the Neilson's seem to keep a stranglehold on everything with no end in sight.

• Options
    crwth wrote: »
    even leslie?

Neilson.

Ratings.

Don't.

Matter.

• Options

Eh, depends how you view the Neilson numbers for the AXS New Japan show and TNA.

They're on AXS so they don't report Nielson numbers but reported over 200,000 viewers back in 2015 when they started which is the same numbers Lucha Underground was putting up with first run programming on two networks.

Fuck Nielson numbers. They make more MONEY than any other promotion in North America which is the real metric of success. Plenty of people watched Dixie Carter flush her father's money down a toilet year after year for a decade.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

They're on AXS so they don't report Nielson numbers but reported over 200,000 viewers back in 2015 when they started which is the same numbers Lucha Underground was putting up with first run programming on two networks.

Fuck Nielson numbers. They make more MONEY than any other promotion in North America which is the real metric of success. Plenty of people watched Dixie Carter flush her father's money down a toilet year after year for a decade.

People are actually paying to go the the American New Japan shows so they've got a one up on TNA already.

• Options
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    18403295_10158616495795082_7514606094051623747_n.jpg?oh=9ff5440cb2d79115613a646c8c7a45b8&oe=59B90488

moty 2017

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Neilson.

Doesn't.

Matter.

Unfortunately they do till something better comes along, but the Neilson's seem to keep a stranglehold on everything with no end in sight.

This is objectively untrue.

They are not the only metric advertisers are using these days, nor should they be the metric we, as fans or consumers, use as a metric of a product's viability or popularity since they are historically and demonstrably faulty and are only clung to as a Naked Emperor.

Broseph, if you really wanna get into an argument about the nitty gritty of television advertising metrics and the methodology by which industries gauge popularity and public interest, I'll be your Huckleberry, but be warned you are in for some D E E P M A T H because I work in the industry and caring about this shit is my job.

Right now I am on my phone on the way to the dentist and then going to play D&D with my wife and her co-workers but, I will have a for realsies convo about this laters, probably tomortow if you wanna PM me a reminder.

Because no, no Neilsen is not something we need to tolerate or even acknowledge, especially not for pro wrestling.

• Options
    edited May 2017

People are actually paying to go the the American New Japan shows so they've got a one up on TNA already.

Yeah, the fact that they're more profitable than any US indie before they've even set up a ring on US soil puts them in a good position but the real money maker is New Japan World. ROH's video services were never as popular as NJPWWorld.com is and Impact doesn't even have a network online.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Neilson.

Doesn't.

Matter.

They are not the only metric advertisers are using these days, nor should they be the metric we, as fans or consumers, use as a metric of a product's viability or popularity since they are historically and demonstrably faulty and are only clung to as a Naked Emperor.

Broseph, if you really wanna get into an argument about the nitty gritty of television advertising metrics and the methodology by which industries gauge popularity and public interest, I'll be your Huckleberry, but be warned you are in for some D E E P M A T H because I work in the industry and caring about this shit is my job.

Right now I am on my phone on the way to the dentist and then going to play D&D with my wife and her co-workers but, I will have a for realsies convo about this laters, probably tomortow if you wanna PM me a reminder.

Because no, no Neilsen is not something we need to tolerate or even acknowledge, especially not for pro wrestling.

TV advertising still lives and dies by the Neilson system only doesn't it?

I honestly am not sure about that anymore.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Neilson.

Doesn't.

Matter.

TV advertising still lives and dies by the Neilson system doesn't it?

The short answer is "it's complicated"

The long answer is eldritch screaming on the edges of your audible perception, and my skeletal hand beckoning you to come closer to listen, your very sanity threatening to be blasted asunder to know these non-euclidean truths

• Options
    The real measure of success is that Gedo has booked CJ fucking Parker as a legitimate threat to arguably the top heel in the company's Intercontinental title reign.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Neilson.

Doesn't.

Matter.

TV advertising still lives and dies by the Neilson system doesn't it?

The short answer is "it's complicated"

The long answer is eldritch screaming on the edges of your audible perception, and my skeletal hand beckoning you to come closer to listen, your very sanity threatening to be blasted asunder to know these non-euclidean truths

And you're sure this conversation wouldn't be improved by having it directly after dentist nitrous and an evening of red wine with friends?

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    Parker always had great potential, just that he sadly never got to show fully it in NXT.

When his New Japan run is through, hopefully he comes back if he wants to.

• Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to say let's all just assume "No." and never, ever speak about ratings ever again for any reason. But I've got a buddy in advertising and he talks about it occasionally and I find it fascinating, so I kind of want to hear Pony's thoughtpiece on it.

• Options
    There's severe problems with the "TV's archaic/dying" belief/hope, but Nielsen is really irrelevant to that

If you want to talk ads, ratings are nowhere near as detrimental to wrestling as the fact that every company willing to pay for ad space in 2017 thinks wrestling's audience is dumb, and TV deals definitely suffer because of that growing over time, not decreasing

• Options
    There's severe problems with the "TV's archaic/dying" belief/hope, but Nielsen is really irrelevant to that

If you want to talk ads, ratings are nowhere near as detrimental to wrestling as the fact that every company willing to pay for ad space in 2017 thinks wrestling's audience is dumb, and TV deals definitely suffer because of that growing over time, not decreasing

That's never going to change though.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Almost positive World of Sport can't use JR any more because of this. Not coincidental of course.

If anything this is doing WoS a favour because JR was terrible on the "pilot". Obviously he wasn't the worst thing about the commentary, but that's only because it would take a Herculean effort to be worse than Alex Shane.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options

That's never going to change though.

Them thinking wrestling audiences are dumb, and thinking it more and more over time?

Well, to be honest, this is yet another Nielsen debate/argument/topic bring-up in a 100 page wrestling thread (of which we have many in the average year). Even we must admit at this point the assumption isn't exactly unfair on their part.

As for my thoughts on the future, it's definitely not going to be more optimistic when the topic in threads inevitably changes from "how companies matter in terms of Nielsen" to "how can we watch all these companies when they all have streaming services, all of the services and their network stations services are each around the same price, net neutrality's dead, and it all totals more than cable ever did"

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Strowman is reportedly out for a month or two starting after tonight due to minor elbow surgery.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Strowman is reportedly out for a month or two starting after tonight due to minor elbow surgery.

As long as Roman is still off TV, then I'm OK with Strowman being off. Sell them beating the hell out of each other(or at least Strowman getting injured knocking the door off the back of the Ambulance) and needing to take time off to recover.

• Options
    Skwigelf wrote: »

As long as Roman is still off TV, then I'm OK with Strowman being off. Sell them beating the hell out of each other(or at least Strowman getting injured knocking the door off the back of the Ambulance) and needing to take time off to recover.

Plus this probably means Brock vs Braun will be held off till Summerslam now.

So who does Brock face in July.

• Options
    Yep

• Options
    Brock vs Braun should be held off till Summerslam anyway.

Maybe Brock vs Finn at GREAT BALLS OF FIRE

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Maybe Brock vs. The Invisible Man

But how will we tell them apart???

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    18403295_10158616495795082_7514606094051623747_n.jpg?oh=9ff5440cb2d79115613a646c8c7a45b8&oe=59B90488

Seeing Mordecai again brings back memories of all these forgotten big guys WWE tried pushing in the mid-2000s.

Like, remember Kenzo Suzuki?

Remember Luther Reigns?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Colby Corino is in police custody once again. Pro Wrestling Sheet has confirmed that the indy star was taken into custody on Friday in Hamilton County, Tennessee due to an outstanding warrant.

According to jail officials, the warrant was for an arrest due to “failure to comply.” The specifics are not known, though the official says it could have been levied for a missed court date or fine. The same department arrested him back in December after he was found unconscious with multiple types of drugs in his home.

This guy wrecked his career in record time.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    ...is Ambrose sending dick pics to Kurt Angle

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Dean is running Raw?

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    ...is Ambrose sending dick pics to Kurt Angle

He'd already sent them to the rest of the roster; he didn't want Kurt to feel left out.

This discussion has been closed.