Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Telling a fired employee they "graduated" is pretty ridiculous, but it's probably just one step beyond the phrase, "moving on to better things."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Travel reimbursement time! It's like free money, except it isn't. Whatever, it still feels good. And I can stop carrying the cost from last week's conference travel.

Last year I submitted a reimbursement and it took four months for me to be paid.

So this year, when I submitted one for a conference at the end of March, I didn't worry too much when it got to June without hearing anything. I kind of meant to chase it up, but I got a lot of shit on my plate and also didn't want to harass our administrator, who by and large is very good.

... Except that yesterday she sent me an email telling me she'd lost my expense report under some papers on her desk and only just found it, and couldn't submit it because theyve moved to a new expenses system which has a ninety day cut off on report submissions.

Eventually managed to wrangle 90% of the expenses through, im still $100 down but she's promised to balance that with me somehow. But holy shit is this a great way to ensure I am on your back about every damn thing from now on.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think I'd be too fucking thrilled if someone release a hit-piece book on me either. Hubspot also fired the guy for doing that so... yeah, not adding them to my evil company list just yet.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I go the opposite route and just keep a list of companies that have demonstrated they're possibly not evil. It's a lot less names to sift through.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    It's zero names!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I am amused the article writer thinks that accusing a company of trying to make work fun is some kind of scathing criticism.

I do loathe corporate speak like "delightion" though. God, spare me from corporate nerd types trying to make up new words for "sell more of the things."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    They sound like really annoying people that I would probably not like, but as someone who's generally inclined to enjoy seeing marketing bullshit slagged off, I came away from that with a better view of Hubspot than the author.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    They sound like really annoying people that I would probably not like, but as someone who's generally inclined to enjoy seeing marketing bullshit slagged off, I came away from that with a better view of Hubspot than the author.

The biggest indictment it had was of the sales staff and I've yet to encounter a company, in articles or in personal experience, that didn't have some of the most awful human beings in sales, so that doesn't feel like an issue specific to them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Telling a fired employee they "graduated" is pretty ridiculous, but it's probably just one step beyond the phrase, "moving on to better things."

To be fair, if a company is the kind of company that tells a fired employee that they're moving on to better things, it is clearly a true statement.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh hey, the elephants are breaking shit outside my window. Hey ellies, it's been a while!

• Options

The biggest indictment it had was of the sales staff and I've yet to encounter a company, in articles or in personal experience, that didn't have some of the most awful human beings in sales, so that doesn't feel like an issue specific to them.

Hiring a salesman is like reaching into a bag of clowns and hoping you don't pull out one that has a knife

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »

To be fair, if a company is the kind of company that tells a fired employee that they're moving on to better things, it is clearly a true statement.

My company has been diplomatically referring to them as "resource actions". Took a couple of conversations until I caught on to what that meant.

Edit: This is on a "company news" level, obviously, not an individual "you were resource action'd" level.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Saying an employee who leaves has "graduated" may be cloying and corporate, but trying to spin it as "they're leaving and going on to do cooler things" is, I don't know, at worst trying to be fake nice.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

"You're going to a farm upstate."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    god damned sales people

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I must have mentioned this before, but when I worked for the Postal service, they told people they were being decruited. As in, the opposite of recruited.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    god damned sales people

they're not actually people

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    First company to use the phrase, "ascending to Valhalla" as a corporate euphemism for a firing now owes me 1 billion dollars for thinking of it first. That's how it works, right?

• Options
    Like I'm glad that when I left my old job they said "Patrick's moving on to better things" rather than "We've all noticed Patrick becoming increasingly bitter and unhappy, he's leaving before he ends up hating everyone here. In a couple of months he'll realise that the problem was more his attitude than anything else. He will be easily replaced".

Which is far more accurate.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Travel reimbursement time! It's like free money, except it isn't. Whatever, it still feels good. And I can stop carrying the cost from last week's conference travel.

Last year I submitted a reimbursement and it took four months for me to be paid.

So this year, when I submitted one for a conference at the end of March, I didn't worry too much when it got to June without hearing anything. I kind of meant to chase it up, but I got a lot of shit on my plate and also didn't want to harass our administrator, who by and large is very good.

... Except that yesterday she sent me an email telling me she'd lost my expense report under some papers on her desk and only just found it, and couldn't submit it because theyve moved to a new expenses system which has a ninety day cut off on report submissions.

Eventually managed to wrangle 90% of the expenses through, im still $100 down but she's promised to balance that with me somehow. But holy shit is this a great way to ensure I am on your back about every damn thing from now on.

Yeah... that's a perfect way to permanently lose my benefit of the doubt. We don't make enough for that kind of bullshit.

• Options
    Like I'm glad that when I left my old job they said "Patrick's moving on to better things" rather than "We've all noticed Patrick becoming increasingly bitter and unhappy, he's leaving before he ends up hating everyone here. In a couple of months he'll realise that the problem was more his attitude than anything else. He will be easily replaced".

If you're not becoming bitter and unhappy with your coworkers are you even really working?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Haha Italian tourist in the yard - middle aged guy in a flat cap. "Hang on! I just have to catch a Pokemon here!"

I don't know why this tickled me but it did.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Yeah... that's a perfect way to permanently lose my benefit of the doubt. We don't make enough for that kind of bullshit.

The federal government reimbursed me for my hotel and car rental costs within two weeks of the travel.

The US federal government was faster than your person...

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Honestly our admin is usually very fast. The University accounts department, however...

Apparently this new system is supposed to speed up repayments. Having a ninety day hard cutoff is crazy though. It's perfectly possible for me to be on a research trip for that long.

tynic on
  • Options

If you're not becoming bitter and unhappy with your coworkers are you even really working?

One of the ways that I figured out it wasn't me was that after I left, I got on really well with the boss that I complained about all the time. Turns out she's a really nice lady and the problem was that I just didn't want to be there.

• Options
    Like what the fuck is a manager supposed to do with someone when their work issue is "I don't want to be here or do this thing that you pay me for"

• Options
    Honestly our admin is usually very fast. The University accounts department, however...

Apparently this new system is supposed to speed up repayments. Having a ninety day hard cutoff is crazy though. It's perfectly possible for me to be on a research trip for that long.

It's probably not a hard cut off, but, a configurable option to make sure someone doesn't get lazy and her manager is cutting down on shit that's like 8+ months late being entered into the system.

• Options
    Like what the fuck is a manager supposed to do with someone when their work issue is "I don't want to be here or do this thing that you pay me for"

Was it a people issue or something? (micromanagement or policies from upper management?) Or more just general resentment towards the job?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

"byeeeeee"

• Options
    Which, from an accounting point of view i totally get, but that money has still been spent. As an employee I still need it to be reimbursed, and there will be people on field work deployment with spotty internet access who would have a very hard time keeping up with rolling expenses.
    And when you have an institution as large as this one, three months is an eye blink in red-tape years.

Really I'm just bitching about the meta-issue, where in large enough organizations the employees end up working around the bureaucracy rather than the bureaucracy enabling the employees. It's a particularly fraught issue in universities.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's weird how much bureaucracy ends up being it's own type of governmental form even in companies.

• Options

Was it a people issue or something? (micromanagement or policies from upper management?) Or more just general resentment towards the job?

It was a square peg in a round hole to an extent. I don't really fit into marketing culture very well, and like most people who don't fit in I react to that by being reductive about that culture. I talked shit on marketers all the time (still do!) but they never talked shit on me, so who's the dick? The job required me to have a public persona as a marketing type, something that I couldn't really do.

There were also work fit things, like I don't work well in an open plan environment, it makes me anxious and I felt stressed out all the time because of it. I had the occasional standard "I don't like that guy" problems but nothing major. When I left Montreal I went and said goodbye to all of them and was treated very warmly, because everyone involved realised "no one was a bad guy here, it just wasn't a good fit"

They taught me an incredible amount, gave me a ton of opportunities that I didn't really deserve and essentially gift-wrapped me the opportunity to grow into a much better career. I'm very, very grateful for that.
    Psykoma wrote: »

"byeeeeee"

And they didn't do that, they worked really hard with me and would have continued to do so for as long as it took, but eventually I said "look this isn't working and I don't think it's your fault, I'm sorry." I didn't want to push them until they had no choice but to fire me.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

make your life hell gradually, so that eventually you'll leave voluntarily and save them the bother.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    They sound like good eggs.

• Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why LinkedIn used to tell me to link up with you constantly, tube.

It was doing it with Iruka for a bit there too.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

make your life hell gradually, so that eventually you'll leave voluntarily and save them the bother.

Don't try that with a librarian. For some reason, this profession seems to attract the sort of personality that thrives on adversity, so they'll just take a grim satisfaction in dying in place. I think it has something to do with the fact that nobody's trying real hard to ban books these days.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    They sound like good eggs.

Yeah, it's no coincidence that I'm still on good terms with everyone there. They'd invite me to the goodbye drinks when people left, stuff like that.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I actually had to read the book about Hubspot for a class last year. I totally didn't and just wrote my paper based on articles and the synopsis, but I remember it seeming like more of a cult than a workplace. But then again we millennials are our own cult.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Which, from an accounting point of view i totally get, but that money has still been spent. As an employee I still need it to be reimbursed, and there will be people on field work deployment with spotty internet access who would have a very hard time keeping up with rolling expenses.
    And when you have an institution as large as this one, three months is an eye blink in red-tape years.

Really I'm just bitching about the meta-issue, where in large enough organizations the employees end up working around the bureaucracy rather than the bureaucracy enabling the employees. It's a particularly fraught issue in universities.

"We won't reimburse you for expenses more than 90 days old" is fairly standard. But that means if you just bothered filing 100 days later. If you filed a week in and we didn't get to it? Sod off.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out why LinkedIn used to tell me to link up with you constantly, tube.

It was doing it with Iruka for a bit there too.

Did you exchange any e-mails with each other? They've got like ten different messaging system vectors.

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.