Movie Thread.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Planning to see: Spider-Man, Star Wars.

Might see: Mary and the Witch's Flower, Thor, Leap.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i used to only really see films on planes, or occasionally at video rental places and switching to seeing films regularly at the cinema was one of the best decisions i've ever made

although, purely relying on the cinema that has easy nearby parking, cheap food and $10 tickets does mean that I miss out on some of the weirder films that get released in more indie-friendly places.

i kinda wish that i could get more into watching tv series, but i'm really bad at watching films/shows/etc at my house when i just feel the urge to start checking phones and internet stuff. Or pausing it to get up and get something.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    okay time to see why a cure for wellness ate it so hard

6vjsgrerts6r.png

strike one: it's a two and a half hour horror movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    yo I just saw The Mummy

it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen and if I wasn't with people I would have walked out

AMA

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    yo I just saw The Mummy

it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen and if I wasn't with people I would have walked out

AMA

Were people openly laughing at the movie in your theater

The only times I've ever had that happen were during The Village and during a free screening of Alien Covenant

edited June 2017
    AMA
    Which trailers did you get?

SabreMau on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Trex wasnt cool enough to get feathers
    Gustav wrote: »
    T-Rex got a whole lot less cool in my book

:(

SabreMau wrote: »
    AMA
    Which trailers did you get?

Universal employee screening, so, none

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They just don't understand, Smof

CYpGAPn.png
    yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

Were people openly laughing at the movie in your theater

The only times I've ever had that happen were during The Village and during a free screening of Alien Covenant

not really, although there were a lot of incredulous snorts from my row

One thing I really want to see soon is Raw. That looked incredible and has 90% on RT after 133 reviews

raw is really good and available to rent on demand right now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

is it just really badly written, or does it feel incompetently shot and edited?

Man I find it hilarious that Universal has announced, what, like 10 movies for DARK UNIVERSE before The Mummy even comes out and it looks to be both really bad and also not a box office success (in the US at least)

Like, could you whiff any harder when trying to launch a cinematic universe? At least Man of Steel made a bunch of money and got okay reviews.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    One thing I really want to see soon is Raw. That looked incredible and has 90% on RT after 133 reviews

raw is really good and available to rent on demand right now

Yessssssssssss

Lalabox wrote: »
    yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

is it just really badly written, or does it feel incompetently shot and edited?

all of the above

it is rare for me to look at a huge budget movie and go "this was made by a director who is not talented at the fundamentals of filmmaking," but here we are

edited June 2017
    Well, The Mummy just set a new record for an opening day in South Korea. So, they got that going for it, at least.

SabreMau on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

if you could go back in time and fix it what would you do

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh, Kurtzman directed it
    Is it his first one?

yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

shortest version, scrap the Dark Universe concept in lieu of telling a compelling story and find a compelling reason for Tom Cruise's character to exist

Tom Cruise's character is essentially Jack Burton, but nobody is in on the joke, he has no actual charm or good reflexes

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

Is it true that it manages to make Tom Cruise into a completely irredeemable piece of shit, and yet still expects you to root for him not only in this movie but in several movies to come?

yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

shortest version, scrap the Dark Universe concept in lieu of telling a compelling story and find a compelling reason for Tom Cruise's character to exist

Tom Cruise's character is essentially Jack Burton, but nobody is in on the joke, he has no actual charm or good reflexes

oh and fire Alex Kurtzman

out of a cannon

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So, I just watched Double Team staring JCVD and Dennis Rodman for the first time.

And I loved it.

Hollywood needs to get back to making this kind of dumb bullshit.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    rhylith wrote: »
    yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

Is it true that it manages to make Tom Cruise into a completely irredeemable piece of shit, and yet still expects you to root for him not only in this movie but in several movies to come?

yup, one million percent

he is an awful, awful human being with no redeeming value whatsoever

Tom Cruise is my favorite actor and even he can't sell this part

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    yo I just saw The Mummy

AMA

But it's all in the reflexes! How could they overlook that?

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    So Dracula Untold...uh...The Mummy...errr...I mean, Bride of Frankenstein will be the beginning of the Dark Universe. Look forward to it 2019.

I wonder if any Universal exec at this point has just said "Fuck it, we're not doing the Avengers thing anymore, we're doing the Jurassic World thing. Get me a Mummy 4 script with Chris Pratt teaming up with Brendan Fraser to fight a mummy."

i am really looking forward to the monsterverse cinematic universe because godzilla and kong were both really enjoyable movies that were willing to do interesting things

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the last time I was on a plane they had like six movies I'd been meaning to see and then I just ended up watching moana again

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

ugh the younger characters all look fine but the guy they got playing Jotaro isn't nearly gigantic enough

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lars wrote: »
    So Dracula Untold...uh...The Mummy...errr...I mean, Bride of Frankenstein will be the beginning of the Dark Universe. Look forward to it 2019.

I wonder if any Universal exec at this point has just said "Fuck it, we're not doing the Avengers thing anymore, we're doing the Jurassic World thing. Get me a Mummy 4 script with Chris Pratt teaming up with Brendan Fraser to fight a mummy."

The Mummy opens with a Dark Universe logo

we in it already

i am really looking forward to the monsterverse cinematic universe because godzilla and kong were both really enjoyable movies that were willing to do interesting things

every time I remember that the next movie is going to have Mothra and Ghidorah and that we're going to get a Godzilla vs Kong movie after that I just get so happy

Lars wrote: »

The Mummy opens with a Dark Universe logo

we in it already
    Ahahahahhahaha fuck

CYpGAPn.png

every time I remember that the next movie is going to have Mothra and Ghidorah and that we're going to get a Godzilla vs Kong movie after that I just get so happy
    And Rodan!!!

Don't forget Rodan!

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2017
    Speaking of, is a Gamera reboot still happening?

And can a Prince of Space reboot happen?

SabreMau on
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Gorosaurus peaks up from his spot at the bar hoping, no needing, to hear someone mention his name. He'd even take it in spite. But no one says a word. He looks back to the bartender with needy eyes. The bartender would have cut him off hours ago, but even he can tell that this is all Gorosaurus has.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Will mothra come with two tiny women that sing to summon her?

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    "dark universe" is such a fucking stupid name for it, too, like...it's absurd to me that we're straight up just adding "dark" to actual titles and everyone's just okay with it

I'm still baffled that "justice league dark" was an actual comic and that they keep trying to make a movie called "justice league dark" like "justice league dark" isn't already a pretty accurate description of the lighting situation in most DC movies anyways

Will mothra come with two tiny women that sing to summon her?

yes and they'll be played by tia and tamera

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I definitely hope so

and I hope they get interviewed on a talk show

This discussion has been closed.