Movie Thread.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    who else is in the monsterverse that's gonna get a movie, or is it just the two lads
    Just the two for now

CYpGAPn.png
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    "dark universe" is such a fucking stupid name for it, too, like...it's absurd to me that we're straight up just adding "dark" to actual titles and everyone's just okay with it

I'm still baffled that "justice league dark" was an actual comic and that they keep trying to make a movie called "justice league dark" like "justice league dark" isn't already a pretty accurate description of the lighting situation in most DC movies anyways

Ahh, but the studios save money by not having costumers, they just send everyone to Hot Topic with a giftcard instead.

"So, what did you think of Justice League Dark?"

"Well, I was surprised that Wonder Woman was such a huge fan of Invader Zim. On the other hand, Batman being a brony makes SO much sense."

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I go to the movies all the time, but that's because I'm single, and have a lot friends so its easy to make it an activity, like lunch/dinner followed by a movie.

Also we have a AMC theatre in a pretty much abandoned mall, which means tickets are 4 dollars. Also makes the walk back to the car after a horror movie extra exciting.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Which pony would be batmans fave

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Luna?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Pinkie Pie.

Without a doubt.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Which pony would be batmans fave

lil sebastian

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Looks like passes are still available

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I saw an article linked on Fark.com that made me laugh more than it should have given discussions here lately.

GQ magazine declares: Never Play Acoustic Guitar for a Woman
    There’s nothing more special than when you’re about to bone down with a man and he stops. "Wait," he says breathlessly, "I want to play you something." Then he conjures an acoustic guitar out of thin air and plays you a romantic ballad, and afterwards you make sweet sweet love while the guitar watches.

Nahhhhhhhht. If you have gotten laid after playing your guitar at a woman, it was in spite of your guitar playing. @ me, sensitive Twitter bros, I’m not even scared.

It takes dangerously high levels of ego and earnestness to play a song for someone you’d like to sleep with—Zach Braff levels—and it’s very unbecoming. Here’s a great rule for making love and making movies: Never do anything Zach Braff would do. (Actually Going in Style is in my top ten and the Garden State soundtrack is still full of gentle bangers.) If there’s one thing I know, it’s that Zach Braff totally plays acoustic guitar for women. [Ed. note: unconfirmed.] [Writer’s note: But really likely.] [Ed. note: I mean yeah.]

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Neill Blomkamp did a pretty good interview with Den of Geek where he talks about Chappie
    Chappie was unbelievably painful for me. That was difficult on several levels. But the thing with Chappie was, it felt like it was extremely close to the film I had in my head. Up until the film came out, I felt like I had given my all, and that I'd tried my hardest to make the film I had in my head, and I felt like I achieved that.

It put me in an interesting place, where I was needing to decide how I felt, when I create a piece of artwork that I feel positive about, and then the audience really rejects it - what does that mean? That puts you in an incredibly interesting space. I'm not judging the film based on box office merits or pure Rotten Tomatoes scores. I'm doing it because I love it, and I'm basing how I feel about it on what it makes me feel.

So when the audience turns their back on it, it raises really interesting questions about whether it delegitimises in general. Does that mean it holds no value? Because it still holds value to me. If I react to that, so I'm only try to please the audience, then what value does the artwork have at all?

So it put me in a very strange place for a while. I think that I completely came out of it making the right choice, which is that I'm just going to do stuff that I love. And that could actually lead to me living in the gutter. I mean it could literally lead to complete and utter collapse. But I would rather live in a dumpster, I think, being creatively honest and true to myself than not. So I think overall the result of Chappie crystallised or congealed ideas in my head in a good way.

But I'm still upset the fact that it didn't work. I wish that it did, but it just didn't, and I still love it. I don't know what else to say, but the audience didn't get what I was going for. It didn't work.

It's refreshing to see a director be this honest, and I appreciate that Neill would rather stick to his guns and fail than give up creative control to studios just to make a big budget success or flop he had no say in. Unfortunately explains why his Alien is never going to be made, because that's one of the only two things I'd be interested in out of the series going forward (the other being Ridley kicked out).

I didn't mind Chappie that much, Elysium I always felt was the only real bad movie he made

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    it's ok Blomkamp I loved Chappie

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    it's ok Blomkamp I loved Chappie

yeah he's cashin' in on that critical goatherder segment

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Chappie was fuckin fucked up, cutesy wutesy South African Johnny-5 getting brutalized and brutalizing people made me feel weird and bad in way I don't think was intended but maybe it was I guess but then I don't know why the movie would want me to feel like that

• WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I saw Wonder Woman. It's pretty remarkable that I enjoyed it considering I find Wonder Woman as a concept pretty boring and think superheroes in the past is plot poison, especially mixed in with historic events.

A superhero movie being fun instead of dreary goes a long way when it comes to redeeming quibbles for me and since they can't all be Logan it's preferable that they err on the side of cloying or corny, which I thought Wonder Woman was in parts.

I don't know if I'll see Justice League, but my curiosity about where Diana's head is at after all these unseen years does raise the possibility!

4SMZq.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Unlike MoS and BvS, Wonder Woman knows the audience it's going for. Even though it's set in World War 1 and deals somewhat with some heavy subject matters, it's still a film for everyone. You can still take kids to go see it.

BvS wanted to go for heavy subject matters and the violence like Logan but it's still a PG-13 film and they got to bring in those kids so it can only half ass everything.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The problem was it could have been a cool look at robots in policing. Instead it was another robot who wanted to be a real boy. There's also no reason Chappie would be a threat to human life other than it's a popular cliche. I wanted Tetra Vaal, not freaking AI.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Amityville: The Awakening has been yanked from its June 30th release date and now carries a TBA date.

Was originally scheduled for a Jan 2015 release, and was filmed in 2014

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The problem was it could have been a cool look at robots in policing. Instead it was another robot who wanted to be a real boy. There's also no reason Chappie would be a threat to human life other than it's a popular cliche. I wanted Tetra Vaal, not freaking AI.

Now I'd like to see a movie where there is an AI that is so advanced that everyone around it expects it to want to be human, but the robot is all "no thanks, being a robot actually pretty f'ing great."

I guess Ex Machina comes close.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited June 2017
    There's a ton of potential for cool stories that involve people interacting with robots at different levels of empathy and rapport, even among the robots themselves. I.e., Andy the Jerkass Android feels disgusted that a cheaper, less sophisticated model is up for stealing his job, giving him something to commiserate with his human colleagues. Or Bob kept a copy of the AI drone that saved his life during the war, and put it into a charming "robo pet" body, an arrangement with which the reactive, but non-sentient, drone is perfectly happy with, because playing mock combat with his kids is just as "fulfilling" as his actual combat experience.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I would be way more interested in Chappie if it just didn't have Die Antwoord in it

I know that's a weird stance to take but god damn it, those people are obnoxious

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    There's a ton of potential for cool stories that involve people interacting with robots at different levels of empathy and rapport, even among the robots themselves. I.e., Andy the Jerkass Android feels disgusted that a cheaper, less sophisticated model is up for stealing his job, giving him something to commiserate with his human colleagues. Or Bob kept a copy of the AI drone that saved his life during the war, and put it into a charming "robo pet" body, an arrangement with which the reactive, but non-sentient, drone is perfectly happy with, because playing mock combat with his kids is just as "fulfilling" as his actual combat experience.

Sounds like the old Asimov stuff.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    I just wish someone would have the guts to do it. I really give Elysium credit because it did a lot right. Especially when the "oppressive" MP drones switch to "protection" drones. It's not the technology that's good or bad, it's how people use it.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I would be way more interested in Chappie if it just didn't have Die Antwoord in it

I know that's a weird stance to take but god damn it, those people are obnoxious

http://thehardtimes.net/hardstyle/nobody-adopted-animals-shelter-gave-die-antwoord-haircuts/

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Aren't Die Antwood disbanding this year

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I have never heard a Die Antwood song. And that's probably ok.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

If you saw Chappie you heard some of their music.

It's... interesting

DarkPrimus wrote: »

If you saw Chappie you heard some of their music.

Sure. But I mean like sat down and listened to their songs. I have no functional knowledge of them is what I'm saying.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin

They're real bad. Like, if their songs were a movie, Rorschach Kringle would love them.

Tube wrote: »

They're real bad. Like, if their songs were a movie, Rorschach Kringle would love them.

Given the that we have pretty aligning film tastes, I take offense.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Cleave successful!

edited June 2017
    Except for Anti-Birth. That movie was the special category of bad enough that I didn't finish it.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Except for Anti-Birth. That movie blew and I didn't finish it.

I finished it and you made the right choice.

Oh I was thinking of watching that. I like that actress.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cegdR0GiJl4

This might be considered an endurance test

I think I made it thirty minutes? They still hadn't gotten to anything. Just variations of the same scene over and over.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think what I hate most about die antwoord is that they are so highly targeted at my sensibilities that it's impossible for me to criticize them without turning into a caricature of myself

wirehead26 wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=cegdR0GiJl4

This might be considered an endurance test

I'm not going to click that. The preview image alone insults my super pedestrian music tastes.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    I can't tell you what a relief it was to discover that they're also shitty people

I can watch a million bad movies, read dozens of shitty poems, and I secretly love watching people bomb on open mic nights.

But bad music breaks me in a way I can't handle.

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.