Options

[SysAdmin] More like unItanium.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Natural gas generator, make sure you get one that's tri-phase because most commercial buildings are tri-phase.

It is the best solution to this problem, and they're not really expensive.

You'll also probably want a server room wide UPS for that 30 seconds it takes to spin up the generator. APC makes those too.

They already have a UPS in place good for ~90 minutes, they're just really adverse to downtime to the point that they're considering 8-hour runtime solutions.

And, paradoxically, to the point that they won't move 2 patch cables out of an otherwise-retired switch, which itself isn't connected to the UPS(!) but is connecting their host servers to the rest of the network(!!!) because some special boy attorney might notice the half second lag.

Funnily enough, none of their desktops have UPSs.

Attorneys.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I was also sent to rent a generator today for a client who has one but has never tested it. I took the company van to the rental place and learned that we'd reserved a rental that comes on a trailer, and the van of course has no hitch. I arranged for delivery, called our onsite contact to confirm, and learned that the power company had already pulled a dead animal out of some lines and restored power.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oh if you already have 90 minute UPS in place, awesome, all you need to do is find out what kind of phasing the building's electrical has and spec out a generator (hopefully it's not a shared building).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    You'll probably want a 30 kW three phase natural gas generator for a medium sized business, which ballparks in at about 12-15k with labor.

Edit: Note, this will run the whole god damned office unless it's a sufficiently large office.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I had to search through a senior executive's credit card for some IT related charges.

I now need a drink or three.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Natural gas generator, make sure you get one that's tri-phase because most commercial buildings are tri-phase.

It is the best solution to this problem, and they're not really expensive.

You'll also probably want a server room wide UPS for that 30 seconds it takes to spin up the generator. APC makes those too.

Yeah, a big centralized UPS from a company like Eaton or Mitsubishi is so much better than individual rack mount UPSes if you can afford it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If they need 5-9s uptime during extended power failures then they should be talking about buying space in a real grown up datacenter.

But that's none of my business

kermitsippingtea.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    If they need 5-9s uptime during extended power failures then they should be talking about buying space in a real grown up datacenter.

But that's none of my business

kermitsippingtea.jpg

Honestly, the way I think this client works is

>Some minor outage happens, because they didn't take our advice to begin with because they fear change.
    >One of the partners says 'how was this allowed to happen?'
    >Someone suggests an overkill solution and they request a quote.
    >Quote goes to committee, which holds several meetings, some of which we're brought in for.
    >Quote is revised multiple times.
    >They end up not buying the thing, because it was a bad idea to begin with.

See also: I'm currently quoting a standalone USP backup drive that could hold a theoretical backup copy of all of their servers, in case of litigation hold. The fact that we can archive the backups they already have on the backup server they recently purchased that has plenty of available capacity, or that a litigation hold wouldn't require archiving of the DC or print server, did nothing to change their minds.

• Options
    I love our power setup.

We have a diesel generator that feeds the whole building and we have a contract with a company to come fill it with fuel. It has enough capacity to run typical business operations for over 48 hours.

We have an Eaton UPS that feeds the server room. Each rack in our server room has two outlets, clearly marked, one on the UPS and the other off the UPS.

I have 99 problems but power ain't one.

• Options
    We have a natural gas generator to our building.

It self tests itself every 7 days.

It's mono phase and our build is triple phase and my boss has been told this but sits on his hands because he'd rather his building burn down I guess (it's already arced several times).

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

It's mono phase and our build is triple phase and my boss has been told this but sits on his hands because he'd rather his building burn down I guess (it's already arced several times).

As an electrical engineer (sorry for intruding), I don't understand these comments at all. What does being single phase have to do with the generator arcing?

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

As an electrical engineer (sorry for intruding), I don't understand these comments at all. What does being single phase have to do with the generator arcing?

The building is three phase, generator is single, so something is causing it to arc.

Couldn't tell you what, or why, but the electrician that came here told us to fix the issue we'd need a three phase generator. I'm guessing it's some sort of deal with the sine wave not being in the right phase.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

The building is three phase, generator is single, so something is causing it to arc.

Couldn't tell you what, or why, but the electrician that came here told us to fix the issue we'd need a three phase generator. I'm guessing it's some sort of deal with the sine wave not being in the right phase.
    If a single phase generator is being hooked up to all three phases at the transfer switch, that would cause big problems. If it's only attempting to power one of the phases, that's less bad although anything that requires three phase power to run just wouldn't work.

• Options
    Is it arcing in a cool mad scientist kind of way, like some arcane device in the back of Frankenstein's lab?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Is it arcing in a cool mad scientist kind of way, like some arcane device in the back of Frankenstein's lab?

If this is the case I'm with your boss on this one.

• Options
    One of our more frugal clients has decided to ignore our warnings and their emergency has now become a catastrophe.

Their VM environment is super fucked and rather than pay for the couple of hours it *would* have taken to fix their storage issues, they'll be paying for a couple of days to reinstall everything.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You really shouldn't be running servers directly off generator power. If you have em, you always want to run your generator through your UPS system before it hits your hardware. Generators don't put out the cleanest power and it tends to fluctuate.

Or datacenter has a few systems in place. All workstations have small UPSs. The datacenter has a dedicated battery backup array. We have 3 generators. One running 2 phase on the natural gas mains dedicated to the most critical network infrastructure. Another 2 phase ng for powering the office. Finally we have the big daddy, a nearly 2 story 3 phase diesel generator for powering the datacenter at full capacity and best of all, the HVAC system.

These systems were recently put to the test when the remnants of Irma blew through the appalachians. We were rocking on generator power for an entire day. The system was pushed to it's limit and ultimately one of the NG generators went up in smoke halfway through the day. One of the owners scrambled to bring a replacement from home to bring back a critical switch that connected the datacenter to the internet. All in all, it could have been far worse. We had power the next day, the switch was moved to a different circuit and the generator was replaced. Many of our clients were without power for multiple days, others without internet for a nearly a week.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    It's probably arcing in a more "going to kill someone" way.

Which is way less cool.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    One of our more frugal clients has decided to ignore our warnings and their emergency has now become a catastrophe.

Their VM environment is super fucked and rather than pay for the couple of hours it *would* have taken to fix their storage issues, they'll be paying for a couple of days to reinstall everything.

I love people

Client: "Oh, but the quoted price sounds expensive!"
    <catastrophe>
    IT: "Hold my beer and count the number of digits in your new quote."

:x

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

If a single phase generator is being hooked up to all three phases at the transfer switch, that would cause big problems. If it's only attempting to power one of the phases, that's less bad although anything that requires three phase power to run just wouldn't work.

Yeah I think it's hooked up to one of the phases.

The issue is the UPSes all adjust themselves for 3 phases so they basically shit the bed anytime the power goes out and whine about the generator's power not being clean enough.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I love people

Client: "Oh, but the quoted price sounds expensive!"
    <catastrophe>
    IT: "Hold my beer and count the number of digits in your new quote."

:x

It's not just IT where this happens - any industry where preventative maintenance saves money in the long run suffers the same issue.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    It's probably arcing in a more "going to kill someone" way.

Which is way less cool.

Says you.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Hahah, the company that installed this server is the company I worked at previously and they did such a bad fucking job.

It's running a vcenter applicance that has 24 virtual hard drives.

It's a single host.

Cog on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Hahah, the company that installed this server is the company I worked at previously and they did such a bad fucking job.

It's running a vcenter applicance that has 24 hard drives.

It's a single host.

Wait, so JUST Vcenter is running off it? It's not running ESXI and hosting VMs?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    That_Guy wrote: »

It's a single host.

No no, it's running VMs. But it's a single host environment, running ESXi and hosting 4 VMs, but with a vcenter appliance.

The VCA in ESXi 6.0 should have 11 VMDKs. This one, for some inexplicable reason, has 24.

Edit above that the appliance has 24 virtual hard drives.

Cog on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

It's a single host.

No no, it's running VMs. But it's a single host environment, running ESXi and hosting 4 VMs, but with a vcenter appliance.

The VCA in ESXi 6.0 should have 11 VMDKs. This one, for some inexplicable reason, has 24.

I haven't switched our stuff to use the VCA yet, but like, how does that even happen? When you deploy a template, just Next through the defaults. Are you saying they added a bunch of VMDKs that are attached to the VCA? Like, can the VCA even use those?

• Options

It's a single host.

I haven't switched our stuff to use the VCA yet, but like, how does that even happen? When you deploy a template, just Next through the defaults. Are you saying they added a bunch of VMDKs that are attached to the VCA? Like, can the VCA even use those?

I don't know!

I can not imagine a situation where you add VMDKs to a VCA. It is absolutely unthinkable.

I also cannot imagine a situation where you deploy a VCA in a single fucking host environment.

There's a good fucking reason I don't work at that shit-circus anymore.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

It's a single host.

I don't know!

I can not imagine a situation where you add VMDKs to a VCA. It is absolutely unthinkable.

I also cannot imagine a situation where you deploy a VCA in a single fucking host environment.

There's a good fucking reason I don't work at that shit-circus anymore.
    Oh, wait, yes, also that. You don't need vCenter, lol what?

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    A coworker of mine received this sales email yesterday. It's AMAZING
    ~~~
    Hi UeanCoworker,

Over the last two weeks I have reached out on several occasions to introduce you to RandomSalesSoftware, but I have been unable to connect. I can think of three reasons that might be the case:

1. You are a channel partner, which means you are regularly busy strapping on a cape and saving your customers from themselves, and simply don’t have the time to get back with me.
    2. You hate channel vendors with a passion that rivals the energy of the Sun, and never take calls.
    3. You are on vacation somewhere, having the time of your life, and you haven’t seen my email.

So, here is the deal – if it is 1 or 3, just send me a quick note as soon as you can and let’s schedule a time to talk. If it is #2, just reply #2. We will build a small fire in the office, pour a cocktail, and burn your contact information with the appropriate ritualistic pomp and circumstance. Then we will meet you at a trade event, impress you with our awesome solution, and work together happily ever after.
    ~~~

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    uean wrote: »
    ~~~
    Hi UeanCoworker,

Over the last two weeks I have reached out on several occasions to introduce you to RandomSalesSoftware, but I have been unable to connect. I can think of three reasons that might be the case:

1. You are a channel partner, which means you are regularly busy strapping on a cape and saving your customers from themselves, and simply don’t have the time to get back with me.
    2. You hate channel vendors with a passion that rivals the energy of the Sun, and never take calls.
    3. You are on vacation somewhere, having the time of your life, and you haven’t seen my email.

So, here is the deal – if it is 1 or 3, just send me a quick note as soon as you can and let’s schedule a time to talk. If it is #2, just reply #2. We will build a small fire in the office, pour a cocktail, and burn your contact information with the appropriate ritualistic pomp and circumstance. Then we will meet you at a trade event, impress you with our awesome solution, and work together happily ever after.
    ~~~

You added their domain to your spam filter, right?

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    ~~~
    Hi UeanCoworker,

~~~

He's installing their software as we speak.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    ~~~
    Hi UeanCoworker,

~~~

I mean, boy takes you out for dinner like that, you get him laid, right?

Right?

Guys?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    *sips cocktail*

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I've seen similar ones from recruiter emails of late. Fuggin' crazy people. :rotate:

• Options
    ~~~
    Hi UeanCoworker,

~~~

Noooooooooooo don't feed the salespeople

It only encourages them

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    ~~~
    Hi UeanCoworker,

~~~

I mean, boy takes you out for dinner like that, you get him laid, right?

Right?

Guys?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Theres nothing worse than meeting your clients in person.

What a fucking week.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Without a vCenter a fair few backup solutions don't work and vCenter as a Windows application is deprecated

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Without a vCenter a fair few backup solutions don't work and vCenter as a Windows application is deprecated
    No u r deprecated.

(Yeah, I know it's deprecated, but I've just been delaying the inevitable. Actually, now I remember why I can't move to 6.0+. EMC NetWorker's {also deprecated} VADP backup process only works with 5.5, and to use their non-deprecated method with ESX 6.0, you have to have a DataDomain for *reasons*. Hint: the reason is to sell you a DataDomain.)

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    cat <large sql dump in powershell> | docker exec -i psql ...

Watches all memory get consumed and nothing happened.

An hour or two later after googling for what should be an obvious function, gives up, installs cygwin and remembers that Microsoft still don't get it.

This discussion has been closed.