edited September 2017
    Case in point. Ticket from two weeks ago:

"Please install application X for users A, B, C, and D."

K. I do that:

Customer updates today:

"User E has not received a call yet?? PLEASE EXPLAIN."

Cog on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    No wonder he hates us.

There are times I seriously question why I even fucking come here.

If you leave, we will always remember you.

As our deerly departed Cog.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Okay so I've got the old registry loaded into a test hive, I dumped it, and I edited the registry file (to remove the test hive stuff) but now it won't load the registry's stuff into the registry after the change.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I swear I've ran into that problem before, but it was years ago and I don't remember what I did. Is it not loading at all, or is it loading the changes but they're not persisting?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Apparently you have to put it in quotes when you do regedit /s "myfile.reg" which is weird? It wasn't loading at all.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Peanut Butter utterly failed at a Cisco switch installation at a branch office.

It turns out I forgot a critical static route in the switch config. Oops.

On one hand, my bad.

On other hand, Peanut Butter should have been capable of finding my mistake and fixing it onsite. I can't continue to be literally the only person in our IT department who understands basic TCP/IP concepts.

I'm tired of having to explain to supposed IT professionals what a subnet mask is.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    My "this is fine" dog plushie finally shipped!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    My "this is fine" dog plushie finally shipped!

I ordered one for my fiance for Christmas. It showed up yesterday. It's awesome! She's going to love it.

(Mine shipped on the 13th but did have to come up here to Canada, so maybe yours won't take forever. Good luck!)

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Whelp, I went to show a client how to connect to his new server that I set up in our datacenter, only to find out that the network team didn't set up the vpn tunnel from their site to said datacenter.

So yeah, that was embarrassing.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Whelp, I went to show a client how to connect to his new server that I set up in our datacenter, only to find out that the network team didn't set up the vpn tunnel from their site to said datacenter.

So yeah, that was embarrassing.

Oh.... deer.

deer-headlight-618x264-e1497539768463.jpg?w=500

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    No wonder he hates us.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    We love you too. :heartbeat:

• Options
    No wonder he hates us.

For the witty bantler, of course.

• Options
    You guys sleigh me.

• Options
    It's not our fault your network team passed the buck.

• Options
    Maybe they set up the VPN but it just needed to be power cycled. Did you try cycling the off/fawn switch?

• Options
    Ok, I'd like to get off the ride now.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    After the day I just had I really needed this. :lol:

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

No! The world needs laughter.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    You know what would be great? Getting a bit of recognition for actual hard problems, instead of getting cheered for basic-ass quick fixes.

• Options
    You know what would be great? Getting a bit of recognition for actual hard problems, instead of getting cheered for basic-ass quick fixes.

Replace a burned out light bulb? Everybody loves you.

Replace all of the light bulbs in the building with energy efficient LEDs? Nobody notices except the one lady who complains that the new lights are "too bright."

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »

Is that what is happening?

Laughter sounds a lot like sighing.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Only when you're telling the jokes. :wink:

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

how could you do this to me

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

Quite easily. :heartbeat:

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

because we're all deer friends.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Got fucked by sales again.

They sold 12 TB of storage for a client's video security system in our datacenter. We didn't actually have 12 TB of storage at the time.

I brought that fact up while I was spinning up the VM. Sent out emails. Everyone else sat on it. The storage I was able to provision got devoured, and started overwriting itself. Hope nothing illegal happened on their property that they need to pull the video for!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

They sold 12 TB of storage for a client's video security system in our datacenter. We didn't actually have 12 TB of storage at the time.

I brought that fact up while I was spinning up the VM. Sent out emails. Everyone else sat on it. The storage I was able to provision got devoured, and started overwriting itself. Hope nothing illegal happened on their property that they need to pull the video for!

Sales, man.

One of our salesmen talked up Backup Exec 16 to a customer and sold him on it, then only ordered the agent key and not the actual software key.

Of course, we found this out when I was on-site.

• Options

Sales, man.

One of our salesmen talked up Backup Exec 16 to a customer and sold him on it, then only ordered the agent key and not the actual software key.

Of course, we found this out when I was on-site.

ಠ_ಠ

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    "Take our large 40 person call center from broadcast to round robin."

ok. done

"This is great, but we want them all to have the ability to pick up."

You mean like a broadcast ring from before?

"No NOOOO. like a round robin that we all can pick up, and are all alerted to."

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

ok. done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    At the old job they wanted both broadcast and round robin too.

There's some kind of weird disconnect in how the non tech brain thinks about phone systems.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

ok. done

How I did it with Switchvox:

1. Made a directed pickup extension, added it to everyone's contact list. All it does is let you pick up the call queue.

2. Add the queue's extension # to everyone's contact list.

You can still have Round Robin, but now when the queue is ringing, they'll all see it on their phones. And when they want to pick it up, they just push 2 buttons, first the pickup extension, and then the queue's extension.

I thought/think it was/is silly too. But they're happy with it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Backup Exec is terrible.

But I feel like there hasn't been any good backup software ever.

None of them are simple, none of them just work. I don't need a fancy archive system, just put it in a fucking zip file for christ's sake, that makes it easy to verify it's working without having to go 8 steps into a restore procedure in your software just to verify it.

It seems so simple. You just need to hash files to verify their validity.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    so close to being "done" with this domain migration

I've only spent a couple hundred hours on the phone walking users through this shit.

I could do it in my sleep.

I could probably re-program ADMT from intuition I've used the dang thing so much.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Backup Exec is terrible.

None of them are simple, none of them just work. I don't need a fancy archive system, just put it in a fucking zip file for christ's sake, that makes it easy to verify it's working without having to go 8 steps into a restore procedure in your software just to verify it.

Yes, please zip up these 3 million files into a 1.2TB zip file. And while you're there, can you restore the copy from Tuesday? Because I deleted the file on Wednesday... Actually, you know what, I deleted the entire folder, so make sure you fix the security.

I mean, for very small business, yeah, you can do some homegrown stuff. At a previous job, I backed up our Linux server for free to a clone with all security and incrementals using a thing that sat on top of rsync. But for this job, we'll pay whatever it costs to get EMC Networker to play well with all of our servers and services. Networker has problems, but once it works, it's pretty nice.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Thawmus wrote: »

ok. done

How I did it with Switchvox:

1. Made a directed pickup extension, added it to everyone's contact list. All it does is let you pick up the call queue.

2. Add the queue's extension # to everyone's contact list.

You can still have Round Robin, but now when the queue is ringing, they'll all see it on their phones. And when they want to pick it up, they just push 2 buttons, first the pickup extension, and then the queue's extension.

I thought/think it was/is silly too. But they're happy with it.

Cisco - its just making a call pickup group, assigning it to the hunt. Assign a button to the users phone for call pickup and turn on call pickup audible alerting. If its ringing without your personal line blinking, its technically not your turn.

Close enough.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Backup Exec is terrible.

Yes, please zip up these 3 million files into a 1.2TB zip file. And while you're there, can you restore the copy from Tuesday? Because I deleted the file on Wednesday... Actually, you know what, I deleted the entire folder, so make sure you fix the security.

I mean, for very small business, yeah, you can do some homegrown stuff. At a previous job, I backed up our Linux server for free to a clone with all security and incrementals using a thing that sat on top of rsync. But for this job, we'll pay whatever it costs to get EMC Networker to play well with all of our servers and services. Networker has problems, but once it works, it's pretty nice.

Nothing outlandish about that. The archives that backexec uses just play off things like tarballs and gzip. It's old technology. Very old. Where they shine is cataloging. But because they're using a proprietary modification to tarbell and zip, you can't even access the internals without their software usually. To me that's bad.

There's no reason a zip file can't be 1.2TB or hold 3 million files. You obviously wouldn't want to open that in memory, but you don't need to to extract files from it. Zip files have a header system that you can get the file's information and contents without loading the entire god damned thing into memory. Windows' zip stuff is garbage and basically barfs at very large zip files, but you shouldn't use windows' zip stuff for that anyways.

Zip files borrow a lot of mechanisms from hard drives and file systems. You have FATs and blocks, and all that fun, fun stuff. You can absolutely make dealing with TB sized zip files fairly fast, and, well, better than using a file that can only be opened by backupexec 14.3.5.23

bowen on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    cisco documentation fun:

The MIP100 is a network card that has two subslots into which you put modules depending on what kind of ports you need.

The documentation is very clear that it only has two subslots.

This includes the fact that the hardware itself has the slots numbered as 0 and 1 on the card.

The documentation then proceeds to display examples with modules inserted into subslots 0, 1 and 2 with no explanation as to why or where the number 2 came from.

:rotate:

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Backup Exec is terrible.

Nothing outlandish about that. The archives that backexec uses just play off things like tarballs and gzip. It's old technology. Very old. Where they shine is cataloging. But because they're using a proprietary modification to tarbell and zip, you can't even access the internals without their software usually. To me that's bad.

There's no reason a zip file can't be 1.2TB or hold 3 million files. You obviously wouldn't want to open that in memory, but you don't need to to extract files from it. Zip files have a header system that you can get the file's information and contents without loading the entire god damned thing into memory. Windows' zip stuff is garbage and basically barfs at very large zip files, but you shouldn't use windows' zip stuff for that anyways.

Zip files borrow a lot of mechanisms from hard drives and file systems. You have FATs and blocks, and all that fun, fun stuff. You can absolutely make dealing with TB sized zip files fairly fast, and, well, better than using a file that can only be opened by backupexec 14.3.5.23
    I don't know why I'd ever need to dig into the files themselves when I'm paying for support, but then I've never used BackupExec. (My boss tried to get me to look at it once for cost saving reasons, but nah.) Networker works fine for my uses.

This discussion has been closed.