Options

The Ancient [Chat] Awakens

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Todays reading shall be from Ezekiel 23:20.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    jungleroomx even in the paid version of windows 10 that GPO is hit or miss if it works

mine worked until the weird ass anniversary edition or whatever got pushed out, now it doesn't do shit

Weird, mines been pretty functional here at work.

*shrugs*

Still better than 8.1

shhhh you can't say that on the forums

they'll hear you

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Mm. I love being mansplained to.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Language policing gets a lot of peoples' dander up, but let me give an example of something that might on its surface seem ok, but in reality is a super shitty thing to say and you should probably stop immediately.

"Derp"

It's the internet's favorite goto replacement for "retard" or "retarded". It doesn't have a fixed part of speech, it's sticky, it's fun to say, and it's borderline onomatopoetic in its ability to communicate what it means. Plus, it wasn't used as a slur for the mentally handicapped when you were growing up so it's totally ok, right?

Well no, not really.

"Derp" comes from "herp derp" or any number of similar nonsense words, which are used as a placeholder for a point of view that you might find poorly considered. These in turn come from the proud comedic tradition of Carlos Mencia and cruel schoolchildren everywhere, who love to spastically slap an arm at their chest and mock the slack, involuntary vocalizations of the mentally handicapped.

I would hope we can all agree that this sort of thing is crass, lacking in compassion, and punching down in a way that is just really disgusting.

It's hardly a stretch to follow the evolution of the slur if you think about it for a moment, and it's not pretty. It's far from harmless, regardless of your intent, and you should stop using "derp".

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    i guess i hate the whole idea of how we fashion this bright, pulsating line of demarcation. i see it all the time with stuff like 'don't say he has a narcissistic disorder, he's JUST an asshole'. it strikes me as enormously gross. i'm not saying don't have sympathy for the mentally ill but saying 'this fits enough of the developmental markers in the DSM to make this person truly disordered, whereas this person only hits four of the markers so they're just a dickhead' kind of makes my skin crawl.
    Everyone is a fucking armchair psychiatrist. That's the part that I hate. It takes YEARS to be a psychiatrist, let alone a good one. The internet doesn't make anyone an expert.

well, that's the thing i guess- for me, i'm even talking about legitimate, trained psychiatrists. what they do is important. without my psychiatrist i possibly would have killed myself by now. but it grosses me out so much that i could go to a psychiatrist, describe my life story and the things i've thought and done- and a fly on the wall would say jeez, that guy is a real piece of shit. but if they stay in the room 10 seconds longer to hear an (accurate!) diagnosis that i have so and so- i don't get called a piece of shit. which isn't to say we don't have some expectations of personal accountability for the mentally ill. we do. but it sucks all the viciousness out of a criticism of someone- the criticism becomes way softened, less aggro- to learn they're certifiably unwell. if our trained professionals don't find them to be unwell in a way characteristic of our canon of mental health, tho, then they're 'just' [insert savage, dehumanizing criticism]

kills me

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    A Tennessee sex club is being accused of masquerading as a church, and it’s owners may need to drop to their knees — to pray — because city officials want to shut the place down.

The Social Club – which has a permit to operate as a church – were exposed by two undercover city inspectors who infiltrated the swingers club on March 25 and “observed patrons openly engaging in sexual conduct and intercourse,” according to the complaint filed on May 11 by Nashville officials.

Sounds like a way better time than Sunday Mass as a Catholic.

you have to wonder what the city inspectors did when "infiltrating" the place

Twice man. Twice.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    A Tennessee sex club is being accused of masquerading as a church, and it’s owners may need to drop to their knees — to pray — because city officials want to shut the place down.

The Social Club – which has a permit to operate as a church – were exposed by two undercover city inspectors who infiltrated the swingers club on March 25 and “observed patrons openly engaging in sexual conduct and intercourse,” according to the complaint filed on May 11 by Nashville officials.

The idea that a sex club can't be a church is weird!

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I had a meeting with a professor today but he postponed because he was feeling too stressed and tired

poor dude

It is very interesting that a professor would willing to be vulnerable enough with a student to tell them that.

I guess it's humanizing and probably ok?

the environment at Hamp encourages it. When the school first opened, professors and their families lived on campus as well as students! It's really nice. It means that I can go to meetings and be like, "honestly the reason I am not doing work right now is that I am sad and stressed and freaked out all the time" and then we can figure out a good plan for handling that academically whereas if I was like "Oh uhhh I got.. sick?" then nothing actually gets solved and his expectations would be unrealistic

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "Why would you get Home" well it was free and I don't wanna pay 100 bucks for an upgrade.

I guess if I was desperate enough because the Windows Update stuff was really fucking with me I'd do it, but paying $100 for a single feature that's buried in the guts of the OS when it should just be part of the basic update process is not at all reasonable.

Unfortunately, people shoving off their windows updates because "whatever" is a thing that effects more than just them.

I would say for 99.99% of people out there, there really isn't a huge problem with the Win10 update process. For those who would have a problem, it's more than likely they run patch management, Server 2012/2016, or other professional applications that provide more control.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    I AM AWOKEN

COMMAND ME, LORD!

Vy am I dripings wiv goo

He is DELMAIN!

You are like ze buzzing of FLIES to him!

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I think his exact words were "I really can't face campus today"

I am really, really glad he's going on sabbatical next year, dude needs a break

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options

They were being geese about this.

There's actually no laws against sex clubs in Nashville, they just have to be in industrial areas and 100 feet or more away from certain buildings. (schools, churches, etc)

So TSC decides to set up NEXT TO A CHURCH SCHOOL, then pretends to be a church, and literally goes out on the blueprints and like marks out dildo room and sex chamber and writes in "chorus room" and "confessional booths" and shit, with the other terms still visible.

That does seem like a goose thing to do. But having said that....who says that you need a confession both and a sex chamber to be two different things? I mean that can be a good time.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    jungleroomx even in the paid version of windows 10 that GPO is hit or miss if it works

mine worked until the weird ass anniversary edition or whatever got pushed out, now it doesn't do shit

Weird, mines been pretty functional here at work.

*shrugs*

Still better than 8.1

shhhh you can't say that on the forums

they'll hear you

Definitely better than 7.

• Options
    I use derp as a semi polite placeholder for "holy shit I just fucked up whoops"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    oh shit my manz getting a big resident advisor piece

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2945

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I recently upgraded with Windows 10 at home. I like it better than the 8 garbage but they've still filled my start bar with tiles which my brain just straight ignores at this point.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Well. Stop being wrong, then. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I VILL MESS WITH TIME

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Thank you Variable. Thank you.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

No mansplaining necessarily. If you're wrong, you're wrong.

And I don't even have any idea what gender you are. You're a stranger on the internet. So, again, no mansplaining.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    I AM AWOKEN

COMMAND ME, LORD!

Vy am I dripings wiv goo

He is DELMAIN!

You are like ze buzzing of FLIES to him!

Delmain is no here.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Tiles are actually a legitimately good idea for dashboards and lock screens.

They just feel wasteful and pointless on start bars and (ugh) start screens.

This is one of the bigger flaws of Microsoft's "one UI for all things" strategy. Sometimes stuff that works good on a phone or console is straight-up-shit with a keyboard and mouse.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

It's like they never heard that Hozier song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjiKRfKpPI

• Options

Given how much control the church wants over your sexual practices, this does, indeed, seem weird.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    A federal judge has ordered Uber to stop using technology that a key executive downloaded before he left Waymo, the autonomous car company that was spun off from Google.

The order filed Monday in a trade secrets theft lawsuit also forces Uber to return all downloaded materials by noon on May 31.

Judge William Alsup in San Francisco says in the ruling that Waymo has shown “compelling evidence” that a former star engineer named Anthony Levandowski downloaded confidential files before leaving Waymo. The Judge also says evidence shows that before he left Waymo, Levandowski and Uber planned for Uber to acquire a company formed by Levandowski.

Waymo sued Uber in February alleging that the ride-hailing company is using stolen self-driving technology to build its own fleet of autonomous cars. The ruling prevents Uber from using the technology on a navigational tool called Lidar that robotic cars use to see what’s around them.

The decision was only a partial victory for Waymo, however. The company had sought to shut down Uber’s autonomous car program completely until the dispute is settled. But Alsup determined that Waymo’s patent infringement theories were too weak to support such an order. The judge ruled that although it’s hard to imagine that Levandowski “plundered Waymo’s vault the way he did” with no intent to use the material, Waymo still fell short of showing that the trade secrets were used.

Now I want to know what Uber's response is gonna be. Double down and pretend like they aren't using Waymo's tech. Or follow this basically have to start over. One is likely to incur the wraith of a federal judge and Google's lawyers. The other is gonna piss off a lot of VCs. I am voting for the first option.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Can I police the use of the word mansplaining, I hate it

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    i guess i hate the whole idea of how we fashion this bright, pulsating line of demarcation. i see it all the time with stuff like 'don't say he has a narcissistic disorder, he's JUST an asshole'. it strikes me as enormously gross. i'm not saying don't have sympathy for the mentally ill but saying 'this fits enough of the developmental markers in the DSM to make this person truly disordered, whereas this person only hits four of the markers so they're just a dickhead' kind of makes my skin crawl.
    Everyone is a fucking armchair psychiatrist. That's the part that I hate. It takes YEARS to be a psychiatrist, let alone a good one. The internet doesn't make anyone an expert.

well, that's the thing i guess- for me, i'm even talking about legitimate, trained psychiatrists. what they do is important. without my psychiatrist i possibly would have killed myself by now. but it grosses me out so much that i could go to a psychiatrist, describe my life story and the things i've thought and done- and a fly on the wall would say jeez, that guy is a real piece of shit. but if they stay in the room 10 seconds longer to hear an (accurate!) diagnosis that i have so and so- i don't get called a piece of shit. which isn't to say we don't have some expectations of personal accountability for the mentally ill. we do. but it sucks all the viciousness out of a criticism of someone- the criticism becomes way softened, less aggro- to learn they're certifiably unwell. if our trained professionals don't find them to be unwell in a way characteristic of our canon of mental health, tho, then they're 'just' [insert savage, dehumanizing criticism]

kills me

hm

that's not how I hear my husband talk about people as a psychiatry resident

He will say "this patient is an asshole; they are borderline/anti-social/personality disorder not-otherwise-specified" or "this patient is an asshole; they don't have a personality disorder; they're just an asshole and omg their family is the worst" with the same level of annoyance.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

It's like they never heard that Hozier song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjiKRfKpPI
    No lie, I kinda liked that song until I learned that the person who sang it was named "Hozier". :D Kinda like "Hoobastank". :-P

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i still dont think i really understand what mansplaining is

then again i treat women like people so

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    fuzzy could you rephrase that last thing
    Was it mean? I didn't want it to be mean.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

People should probably stop using it as a synonym for "explain" to casually shit on feminism.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    What about manspreading?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

On a day-to-day basis, even when you deal with a person daily, it sometimes doesn't matter that a person has a disorder that causes them to be a clock.

Like, I definitely have narcissistic tendencies that I eventually recognized and began to combat. But, for those years before I got a handle on my shit, I really was just a fuckin asshole. Like, was it/is it my classmates' or co-workers' responsibility to recognize the signs and coo over the my misfortune?

No, I was being an asshole, and that's the functional diagnosis.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think "derp" is an interesting issue.

It's clearly mocking the vocalizations of people with disabilities, yes

But it's often tied to the vocalizations of dim-looking animals, or facial expressions of people without disabilities in compromising moments, or etc

Is it wrong to make fun of people when they look silly? Is it wrong to think people look silly when they make a face that is unusual for them but is something frequently seen on the faces of people with muscular disabilities? Is it discriminatory to make silly voices? To pretend to be ugly when there are real ugly people suffering from being ugly? Where is the boundary between teasing someone in good fun and trading on our latent disdain and cruelty toward the disabled and different? Are there just entire veins of humour that are just crude and mean and cruel that people refuse to abandon or accept as such?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    fuzzy could you rephrase that last thing
    Was it mean? I didn't want it to be mean.

oh i mean i didn't actually follow. it read as a lot of mentally ill people want to be considered not-responsible for their antisocial behavior which i get, but then there was a line about the limits of their empathy or something that i didn't understand

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2017
    The order filed Monday in a trade secrets theft lawsuit also forces Uber to return all downloaded materials by noon on May 31.

I often wonder about quotes like these. Does the judge know how that actually works?

Echo on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Gooey engages in Bro-splaining

mostly he tells people about the benefits of boat shoes and ankle socks

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    "Why would you get Home" well it was free and I don't wanna pay 100 bucks for an upgrade.

I guess if I was desperate enough because the Windows Update stuff was really fucking with me I'd do it, but paying $100 for a single feature that's buried in the guts of the OS when it should just be part of the basic update process is not at all reasonable.

Unfortunately, people shoving off their windows updates because "whatever" is a thing that effects more than just them.

I would say for 99.99% of people out there, there really isn't a huge problem with the Win10 update process. For those who would have a problem, it's more than likely they run patch management, Server 2012/2016, or other professional applications that provide more control.

I'm not saying you should be able to postpone indefinitely.

Asking if now is okay, and if not, then allowing you to schedule a time within [timespan] would be significantly better than what it is now. You could even let them reschedule it when their scheduled time arrives, just give a smaller amount of time into the future they can do it.

Update now? No? Okay, update scheduled for [sometime between now and 3 days from now] at [time].

[time] arrives: oh something came up? Okay, reschedule for [sometime in the next 24 hours].

Then force the update if you have to. That's still so much better than "lol we updated overnight, hope you didn't have anything important going on!"

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I realise that my opinion doesn't really matter too much here, but I'm still not entirely convinced that "mansplaining" is a thing beyond individual people being jerks

• Options

A patronizing form of explaining to someone who is (more of) an expert on the subject vs you, and that person happens to be a female and you are a male.

This discussion has been closed.