As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing a new OS on an ST

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got my PC back from my girlfriend. Hers was broken and while I Was fixing it she took mine so she could do school work. Well this thing is FULL of crap. Just full. My computer is being bogged down and slow as hell. I can't get ALL this shit off so I was just going to do a reformat. Grat, put my XP CD (legal copy and all that) and I boot from CD...but then the setup says I have no hard drive...

I've installed Windows XP countless times, but I realised that on all my friends and families PCs (I got the Tech Guy job in the family) they ALL had regular drives. To be honest I don't remember the right name for it...but they had the drives that look like this:

jasondunn-harddrives-figure1.jpg

And I have the other kind, I want to say its SATA:

D2c27_sata_drive.gif

Is there somthing speical I should be doing? I know I installed windows on this machine last time and it worked fine...and Windows starts up and everything fine. Thanks in advance.

Bucketman on

• Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You need to find the drivers for the SATA controller you have, put them on a floppy or CD and then during the XP setup it will say press F6 or something to load a 3rd party SCSI or whatever driver, point it to the driver on the disk, problem should be solved.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Err not to sound stupid...well I guess this IS going to sound stupid...

but how exactly do I do that?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You need to find the model # of the SATA card or the motherboard if the SATA is integrated and go to the manufacturer's website, get the drivers for that model # (if your SATA controller is integrated on your motherboard, only get the drivers for the SATA at this stage, you don't need all the drivers). Put them on a disk, then during XP setup, the very beginning from the boot from the CD, it will briefly prompt 'Press F6 to load a 3rd party SCSI driver' or something like that, press the key it says, point it at the driver you downloaded to the disk. Hard drive should show up, problem should be solved.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The drivers should also be included on the CD that came with the motherboard (sometimes you'll get them on a floppy already).

Anyway, apart from using a floppy (which isn't always present on new systems) you can fairly easily add them to an XP installation disc with nLite.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."