As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God dammit. Chris Cornell dead at 52...

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    Please seek help if you are going through mental health issues.

Please.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Media went all in on depression after Robin Williams' death and they were way off on that.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It never hurts to mention getting help whenever the word suicide is brought up.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Please.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Media went all in on depression after Robin Williams' death and they were way off on that.

what?

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I had the Badmotorfinger poster on my wall all through middle school.

I touched my first set of boobs listening to Soundgarden.

I made multiple mix tapes to listen to in my first car that included Kickstand.

I saw Cornell perform Killing in the Name with Audioslave live on Hollywood Blvd entirely by accident.

This one hits home. Sad day.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    god damn it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    d00u524kfycw.jpg

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

Please.

what?

I'm assuming Butters is referring to the fact that the public/media was unaware of Williams' Parkinson's diagnosis, which put his death in a different light.

As to Cornell, he was definitely a huge musical inspiration growing up in the 90s. As others have said, his voice was one of a kind, capable of both sensual and violent extremes, and he could fit it to almost any style of music (though that Timbaland collab was definitely trash).

• Options
    Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    Another one of the voices of the soundtrack to my youth has died way too young. It's a long, terrible list. I'm pretty numb at the moment.

Fucking hell...

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    I just listened to Outshined for the first time in a while and fuck me if that song doesn't still give me fucking chills.
    As soon as I get home from work and my guitar in my hands I'll be playing and screaming this out for a while tonight.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    as a teen with limited funding, i maximized my Soundgarden by getting "A-Sides", a greatest-hits of the then-defunct band.

the music is such a perfect encapsulation of emotional depths, not least because of Chris Cornell's skill with his voice. delicate, cradled optimism wrapped up with screaming sorrow and cheerful aggression. cathartic for working through angst or the inexplicable. songs that demand attention or response -- singing or yelling along, dancing, crying -- not background, not easy-listening, but also not lacking hope.

here's my favorite that gets little attention, probably because "fuck" is uttered approximately a million times.
    https://youtu.be/6rs9UbqU5DU
    and the one that usually follows.
    https://youtu.be/AfFmd2YFuu0

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Of all the music I've listened to today, this is the one that did it and got me emotional. I didn't realize how much I appreciated this song until now.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Detroit medical examiner ruled it suicide by hanging

• Options
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Motherfucker.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. RIP Chris. I hope you are in a happier place now.

For anyone else who sees no other way out please, please, PLEASE try and find help. There are other options.

I'm crying at work now and have to pull myself together for back to back meetings in 30 minutes. I just want to go home and hug my wife and son and tell them I love them. @MusicDragon

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    We had a live performance of this linked on page 1 but here's the studio recording of his Billie Jean cover. Very blues rock.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xW25VB1Mpw

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Man, all the great grunge singers died alone.

• Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Man, all the great grunge singers died alone.

hey, Mark Arm and Eddie Vedder are still around

turn spit

• Options
    Fell on Black Days has some of my favorite lyrics in music ever. Specifically,
    Whomsoever I've cured, I've sickened now
    And whomsoever I've cradled, I've put you down
    I'm a search light soul they say
    But I can't see it in the night
    I'm only faking when I get it right
    When I get it right

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    roger ailes died too, so at least we have one thing to be thankful for

fucking shit though

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I didn't understand grunge until I listened to Superunknown

this one hurts

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    My dad listened to Q101 out of Chicago pretty much every time we were in the car, I've been listening to Chris Cornell since I was 3. His voice was the backdrop for so many moments in my life.

• Options
    I still remember the first time I heard Spoonman on the radio, in the summer of '94, while I was playing with GI Joes at my cousin's house

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    This one hurt. It's hard to put into words as someone that was in high school during the releases of Badmotorfinger, Nevermind, and Ten just how important they felt for that misfit high school student who felt trapped in the world of pretty people and sports.

I'm listening to a playlist on Spotify now - I had forgotten how much I love Doesn't Remind Me.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Fuck. That's just horrible news to wake up to.

There are other albums in the soundtrack of my life, but Badmotorfinger = high school / Superunknown = college when either crosses my mind.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    My dad listened to Q101 out of Chicago pretty much every time we were in the car, I've been listening to Chris Cornell since I was 3. His voice was the backdrop for so many moments in my life.

My daughter reached out to console me... Soundgarden is the soundtrack of me.

What a loss. I never got to see him live...

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Man, this sucks. I rather like most of what Chris Cornell has done. I was shocked to hear people disliked Audioslave. But this is easily my fave from the Cornell catalogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUb450Alpps

And a little gallows humour spoiled for those who don't like that kind of thing.
    YBn8NpK.jpg

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The intro to Cochise is a masterpiece

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I really love his cover of Redemption Song.

i hope this is the right one cause i'm at work and cant turn the sound on to make sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SZVmsFxxY&list=RDg5SZVmsFxxY#t=10

Fucking sad times :(

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I liked Audioslave only because of Cornell (fuck, the first album was basically the soundtrack to my first year of college)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Audioslave gave the world Cochise, Like a Stone, and Shadow of the Sun. All of which are on the first album, so that album is super-forgiven.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Audioslave gave the world Cochise, Like a Stone, and Shadow of the Sun. All of which are on the first album, so that album is super-forgiven.

Gasoline, Show Me How To Live, and I Am The Highway are on that album too.

IDGAF what anyone says, that was a fucking good album.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Also Show Me How To Live, which is one of my "bombing through country back roads" songs. The music video probably influences that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXIK1xCRpY

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I think the expectations for Audioslave were way too fucking high.

They were a damn good band.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    As I've grown older what I get out of old Soundgarden songs has changed. It used to be a cathartic anger. Now I hear "The Day I Tried to Live" and it hits me in an entirely different way than when I was 15. It's always been an amazing collection of sad music, but now Temple of The Dog also feels very very heavy start to finish.

• Options
    audioslave's first album is rock-solid

tom morello isn't much of a guitarist but his best work is on that record

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Soundgarden is one of my favorite bands

I bought Superunknown when I was in highschool, during a time I was super depressed, so it's pretty important to me

Goddamn. . .

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    those of you from the PNW are probably already aware of Almost Live

for those of you who aren't, it was basically seattle-flavored goofy SNL from the 90's

here is a good bit featuring Soundgarden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UdUBH9cJx4

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Shorty wrote: »
    audioslave's first album is rock-solid

tom morello isn't much of a guitarist but his best work is on that record

He's pretty highly regarded among guitarists.

This discussion has been closed.