Options

Chilean art gallery [chat]

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Sin taxes never bother me but I hardly drink, never smoked anything and so FUCK EVERYONE ELSE MA TAXES!

You know we could just all share the burden and increase the overal sales tax but even leftists run for the hills when it hits their pocket book :P :)

Eh spreading it to general sales tax fucks more people than just people who want to drink or smoke. Like if we're being real we should go with an income tax, but as it stands I'm fine with sin taxes more so than general sales tax increases.

What do you mean fucks over more people? You mean makes more people share the burden of funding the state?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    What if we just eat the rich

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sin taxes are pretty good, but they really shouldn't form the funding basis of essential programs. You get weird results, where like, I think it was Illinois, where the govenor was urging people to play the lotto to fund their schools.

I saw a pittsburgh commercial for their lotto that had me feel really bad for people who live in pittsburgh, well more than normal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Sin taxes never bother me but I hardly drink, never smoked anything and so FUCK EVERYONE ELSE MA TAXES!

You know we could just all share the burden and increase the overal sales tax but even leftists run for the hills when it hits their pocket book :P :)

Eh spreading it to general sales tax fucks more people than just people who want to drink or smoke. Like if we're being real we should go with an income tax, but as it stands I'm fine with sin taxes more so than general sales tax increases.

The biggest probelm with Sin taxes is when they become assumed revenue streams for states. You end up with a double edged sword where you encourage peole ot stop doing things like smoking but need people to smoke to keep the lights on.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Shark I usually see a progressive consumption tax proposed by libertarians who accept taxes must exist, not liberals. Wasn't that Rand Paul's platform?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I mean ultimately I agree that sin taxes are dumb

I think all sales taxes are dumb, at least on anything that costs less than like, a car

I don't agree that they, or the various regulations that exist, are killing the weed industry tho

i thought last time i researched it most liberal economists preferred (progressive) sales taxes to other taxes like income tax

Really? Like, the amount taxed increases as the price of the good or service increases? That seems really hard to sell to people even if they get to keep their entire income.

I think it's like VAT refunds where you get the money back later, enabling a system like income tax where you don't have to pay the first twenty grand or whatever?

That is FairTax, which is not exactly a progressive system. If you're taxing people at the consumption level, it's gonna be at least somewhat regressive pretty much no matter what you do, and stuff like the prebate only mitigates it to an extent.

Just do a progressive income tax!

no it's not

here i'll just look up an article instead of trying to explain

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/01/23/what-should-tax-reform-in-the-united-states-do/replace-the-income-tax-with-a-progressive-consumption-tax

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I think all sales taxes are dumb, at least on anything that costs less than like, a car

I don't agree that they, or the various regulations that exist, are killing the weed industry tho

i thought last time i researched it most liberal economists preferred (progressive) sales taxes to other taxes like income tax

Really? Like, the amount taxed increases as the price of the good or service increases? That seems really hard to sell to people even if they get to keep their entire income.

no like the amount taxed increases as your annual consumption increases. usually paired with a very hefty standard deduction.

Interesting. I don't know anything about economics so I can't really evaluate that, but it seems weird for a capitalist system to directly tax consumption. Maybe that's a result of the lingering idea of tax as disincentive though. It's not like people will stop consuming

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    You don't create a new industry by taxing the ever living shit out of it in infancy! That's just a recipe for RJ Reynolds making Marlboro weed cigs and driving all the locals out of business.

Light regs, low tax, let the industry explode in growth. More jobs, more revenue, new agribusiness, revitalized rural areas...

Some red state that's mostly fields is going to massacre WA weed business. Alabama Mama Jama or something is going to flood the market and WA will see its revenue crater. Then people will wonder what happened to their industry and never blame themselves.

the thing is, this isn't a new industry

it's a black market economy that's been slowly coming out of the shadows

as someone who occasionally partakes, i would prefer some pretty good regulation to control for quality/potency (particularly around things like edibles and oils)

i also fail to see how everyone rushing to grow weed wouldn't drive the price down, which affects profits

• Options

What do you mean fucks over more people? You mean makes more people share the burden of funding the state?

Sales taxes are regressive. Sin taxes are equally or more regressive, but at least allow people to opt out by not doing an unhealthy activity. Regressive taxation fucks people over.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    You don't create a new industry by taxing the ever living shit out of it in infancy! That's just a recipe for RJ Reynolds making Marlboro weed cigs and driving all the locals out of business.

Light regs, low tax, let the industry explode in growth. More jobs, more revenue, new agribusiness, revitalized rural areas...

Some red state that's mostly fields is going to massacre WA weed business. Alabama Mama Jama or something is going to flood the market and WA will see its revenue crater. Then people will wonder what happened to their industry and never blame themselves.

our state is already half farmland dude

and even then, if they can grow it cheaper in AL having less regulation isn't going to stop them

as it is now if you're selling weed in the state it needs to be grown in the state

Empty farmland... empty...

well emptying. The farms are dying. The orchards are becoming vineyards.

global warming?

as a stereotypical western washingtoner I don't actually know shit about what's happening across the mountains

Nah the area could become an agricultural powerhouse. Just the margins are so low, the regs were growing and getting expensive and the importing of goods was eating into the industry.

On a grossly basic front.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    you could do a progressive income tax if like

you had a cashless society and all transactions are tracked centrally by the government so at point of sale it determines your rate based on your current spend for the year

but uh... people tend to not like the idea of the government tracking all transactions

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Yo tldr r > g you might as well try to go unwind entropy

fyi hth go read Piketty

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    FarCry 3 was the first one I played

Shit was crazy good

i am not going to lie for whatever reason i could not beat the QTE bosses

like it would take me 10 tries at least

i am the worst at qtes

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    What if weed was the tax

Get on my level, economics

What, you want to switch us to a marijuana backed currency?

You shall not crucify mankind on a cross of weed!

• Options
    and even moderate to high taxes will still end up cheaper than the black market costs

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    Shark I usually see a progressive consumption tax proposed by libertarians who accept taxes must exist, not liberals. Wasn't that Rand Paul's platform?

maybe it's the wheelhouse of libertarians now idk im just going off memory from like, 5-10 years ago reading random policy articles back when i was really interested in econ/tax policy stuffs

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

Shit was crazy good

i am the worst at qtes

This is because QTEs are garbage and you are a man of discernment

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Sales tax levels the working poor. It's already super high if not the highest in the nation.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Aioua here is the Atlantic article my brain remembered.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/the-graying-of-rural-america/485159/

Basically rural US, including Eastern WA and such are basically emptied of young folks and the old folks are dying and there isn't really any reason to go back to those places.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I think Illinois just upped sales and income tax which sucks

• Options

Shit was crazy good

i am the worst at qtes

This is because QTEs are garbage and you are a man of discernment

you had me then you lost me at the end there

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What's this style of music called?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USNetZvC3tQ

• Options
    a
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I think Illinois just upped sales and income tax which sucks

i saw the news about income yeah. not sure about sales.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

Shit was crazy good

i am the worst at qtes

but your a qtepie
    wink winky
    shaggy ear pupperdog

wait what do you mean the dog isnt you

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I guess really taxes on alcohol should be high to discourage alcohol consumption and low on weed to encourage weed consumption considering alcohol is much more dangerous and harmful than weed

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I think it's like VAT refunds where you get the money back later, enabling a system like income tax where you don't have to pay the first twenty grand or whatever?

That is FairTax, which is not exactly a progressive system. If you're taxing people at the consumption level, it's gonna be at least somewhat regressive pretty much no matter what you do, and stuff like the prebate only mitigates it to an extent.

no it's not

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/01/23/what-should-tax-reform-in-the-united-states-do/replace-the-income-tax-with-a-progressive-consumption-tax
    Land shark with his imaginary tax system.

And honestly, our tax system isn't that bad. Could it be better? You bet your sweet ass it could, but with turbo-tax and other programs available for free, it's reasonably progressive.

We should have a higher estate tax. That would help, we should legalize MJ and tax the shit out of it. I'm even for some import taxes, and charging an outsourcing tax based on percentage of employees out of the country.

• Options

no it's not

I mean the guy's from a conservative institute so I am not sure if this makes your point it's a liberal taxation scheme.

The issue with the tax as proposed is either that it requires an extremely high tax rate with a rebate, which still hurts the poor, or requires massive effort into determining your consumption rate and has pretty wonky revenue streams; his proposal appears to be the latter. The latter doesn't really screw over people who are worse off as much as a rebate but it seems really, really impractical implementation-wise.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    there's an argument for sin taxes beyond just revenue extraction - reducing consumption of the vice
    so replacing sin taxes with a broader sales tax wouldn't have exactly the same effect

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    I hate sales tax because it isn't included in the price.

Everything costs 15% more than it actually does. Fuck you! Make companies include that in the price if you're going to implement that tax!

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    TFW you think you're thirty minutes early but actually you're an hour and thirty minutes early. :redface:

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    alright so what we're saying is that we need to make taxes really low on legal weed temporarily, wait until all the black market weed is snuffed out and everyone is buying it legally, then slowly start raising taxes on weed like you're slowly raising the temp of a pot of water with a frog

Except in this analogy the frog is, like really baked, man

Rest In Peace Pepe ;_;

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I have no problem with sin taxes on certain goods that are used in accordance with the overall increased cost of care and such the action involved puts on the public structures.

Go ahead and do your thing, just realize you will pay the real cost including the cost based on you risk at use of additional resources.

I think that should be a tertiary consideration at best. Maybe quaternary.

as a prime motivation it goes against the basic idea. You paying the real cost, that is. On a very limited scale, yeah. But limited.

the primary motivation: limiting the damage something does directly. High taxes on alcohol and tobacco limit the amount of people killed by alcohol or tobacco.

secondary motivation: socioeconomic costs. Indirect damages. People dying from alcohol and tobacco, and other problems alcohol and tobacco brings, impact others in their lives. From relatives on disability in perpetuity to a drunk wrecking someone's shit.

tertiary motivation: making the producers of these things bear some of the cost to society at large of their products

quaternary motivation, possibly better classified as an unfortunate side effect: users of these things bearing the cost.

Actually yeah I'm leaning towards unfortunate effect. The ideal sin tax would be one that disincentives but at the same time magically did not negatively affect someone.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Sales taxes are regressive. Sin taxes are equally or more regressive, but at least allow people to opt out by not doing an unhealthy activity. Regressive taxation fucks people over.

Most european liberal paradises have a lot regressive taxes, but have progressive programs to make up for it.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

Everything costs 15% more than it actually does. Fuck you! Make companies include that in the price if you're going to implement that tax!

or em

stay with me

it could also be that taxes are theft

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TFW you think you're thirty minutes early but actually you're an hour and thirty minutes early. :redface:

go do something else then unless it's a date

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

"Just $19.99 + tax!"

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    alright so what we're saying is that we need to make taxes really low on legal weed temporarily, wait until all the black market weed is snuffed out and everyone is buying it legally, then slowly start raising taxes on weed like you're slowly raising the temp of a pot of water with a frog

Except in this analogy the frog is, like really baked, man

Rest In Peace Pepe ;_;

but who bakes a pot of water to make it boil?

y'all are high

• Options

Sales tax levels the working poor. It's already super high if not the highest in the nation.

Yeah I got where you were going after you posted it. Our sin taxes go into the general fund though so they are not very defendable.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    It is important never to arrive to anything early

or on time

or reasonably late

• Options
    Actually i think this is the article i remember. The Economist is neoliberal ofc but it's talking about policy supported by a economists across a wide range of ideologies

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/07/tax-policy
    Three: Eliminate the corporate income tax. Completely. If companies reinvest the money into their businesses, that's good. Don't tax companies in an effort to tax rich people.

Four: Eliminate all income and payroll taxes. All of them. For everyone. Taxes discourage whatever you're taxing, but we like income, so why tax it? Payroll taxes discourage creating jobs. Not such a good idea. Instead, impose a consumption tax, designed to be progressive to protect lower-income households.

This discussion has been closed.