Options

What is [Love]? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more...

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I looked on OKCupid, Match.com and Zoosk earlier and managed to find some women who seem interesting. One of the Match.com results even lives in my hometown. I'm a bit confused, though; her profile says she's a Christian but is looking for an Agnostic, so I'm not certain what that means. Maybe she's not really religious but doesn't want her relatives to find out? I managed to find her on Facebook and discovered that she's the sister of a guy I was friends with in elementary school but lost touch with, so that might be weird. It doesn't say anything about religion on her Facebook, though, so maybe that's a good sign.

OKCupid seems quite a bit more thorough when it comes to matching people than Match.com and Zoosk, btw.

Christians of different denominations often have pretty different (and sometimes aggressively contradictory) doctrines, which can be awkward and frustrating, so maybe they feel that dating someone agnostic would be easier?

Veldrin on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too self conscious to dance, even with some alcohol. Wish I wasn't a lot of the time though.

Practice helps a lot with this, as well as having an actual teacher.

But that does require kind of an investment of time and dedication to learning, which, if you're already in an "I don't dance" state of mind, is hard to over come.

Not everybody needs to dance, but if it's a thing you kind of want to do, there is literally no reason not to do it, you can learn rhythm and moves and confidence. The question is if you want to or not, to which there is, of course, no wrong answer.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    "1000 miles seems pretty far, but they've got planes and trains and cars, I'd walk to you if I had no other way."

Things are going very well with the woman in Atlanta who I went to high school with. Aside from the fact she is still not out of her previous relationship. She is going thru cancer treatment, though, and even though he hasn't been there forbhe, which is pretty crappy, she doesn't feel like dealing with the breakup fight just now.

I'm traveling to see her Wednesday. And I am so looking forward to this. We just seem so compatible. Aside from my cat allergies.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Dancing is hard and also embarrassing and I am too fat to do it.

https://youtu.be/dgmsOEbfq7E

https://youtu.be/exa4Rna_bFw

https://youtu.be/xv54OSlET2s

No, you are not.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I looked on OKCupid, Match.com and Zoosk earlier and managed to find some women who seem interesting. One of the Match.com results even lives in my hometown. I'm a bit confused, though; her profile says she's a Christian but is looking for an Agnostic, so I'm not certain what that means. Maybe she's not really religious but doesn't want her relatives to find out? I managed to find her on Facebook and discovered that she's the sister of a guy I was friends with in elementary school but lost touch with, so that might be weird. It doesn't say anything about religion on her Facebook, though, so maybe that's a good sign.

OKCupid seems quite a bit more thorough when it comes to matching people than Match.com and Zoosk, btw.

Christians of different denominations often have pretty different (and sometimes aggressively contradictory) doctrines, which can be awkward and frustrating, so maybe they feel that dating someone agnostic would be easier?

Also, I would assume that listing yourself as a Christian looking for other Christians, you're likely to attract a fairly conservative crowd. Meanwhile, agnostics aren't as anti religious as atheists are reputed to be, and may not object to children being raised as Christians. So a liberal Christian girl might find that more attractive than a bunch of serious Christians.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

Could be. I tried to message them on Match.com but apparently you've got to pay to do that and I don't feel like it. Since I've already found them on Facebook I might just try to message them on there after I charge my phone. Part of me is afraid that doing that might seem creepy, but all I had to do is type their username (which is also their real first name) into Facebook's search bar and they were the first result near me.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Just think I know I am going through a lot and have warnings of don't bother on my online accounts
    But what someone wrote in their match profile is crazy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx5CkFbuGGc

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    one time i went to a night club for @Zonugal's birthday and wound up in so many goddamn pictures in its website

this was the first time i'd ever danced in public

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I was going to message the person I found on Match.com but you have to pay to message people on there and oh my god is a subscription expensive. I've already found her on Facebook and sent her both a message and a friend request. I'm wondering if she'll respond.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I don't like dancing. Mostly for self conscious reasons, but also, I don't like being placed with loud noises/music/people.

I just can't handle the extra volume. And since most places to dance are kind clubs or dance halls or things with sound systems, that pretty much ruins it for me.

Loud places make me anxious.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Dancing is hard, but the other night at the club a dance circle formed at the end of Footloose and no one took the solo at the end so I jumped in and went for it as hard as I could and fell down and lost my glasses during a spin and everybody clapped and gave me hugs so no one cares if you fuck up, they probably feel as insecure as you.

Also the end of Footloose fucking rocks and being in there at the end is just like the music video and I regret nothing.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    one time i went to a night club for @Zonugal's birthday and wound up in so many goddamn pictures in its website

this was the first time i'd ever danced in public

To be fair, you were dressed as the Penguin.

So... Ya had it coming.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    no regrets

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    No regerts

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    No rugrats

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Nor u. Grats!

• Options
    Of course I'm looking forward to a trip for the first time in ever, to meet someone, and my face starts to break up. Dammit, body! I'm 46, not 16!!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, I don't understand match.com

OkCupid has a better interface, but no one around here uses it

I think I prefer Bumble, but again, no one uses it

Tinder has a reputation around here as a one night stands app, but most people will indicate what they're looking for relationship wise right in their profile.

I have a date today! I'll believe it when I pick her up later this morning, but I'm very excited.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Not to mention that clicking boxes on a checklist is the Scientifically Approved™ way of expressing religious preference.

If I'm not being clear, Hexmage, ignore it until you meet her.
    We just seem so compatible. Aside from my cat allergies.

I'm allergic to cats and I have two. Do antihistamines work for you?

Einzel on
  • Options
    Dang, my barber is on vacation

Also, geez what should I wear

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Of course I'm looking forward to a trip for the first time in ever, to meet someone, and my face starts to break up. Dammit, body! I'm 46, not 16!!

Lol, hormones don't give a fuck!

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Well she accepted my friend request on Facebook but hasn't looked at the message I sent her on Messenger yet. So I don't know what to think about that. I'm pretty sure she looked at my Match.com profile.

I've never tried to talk to someone I saw on a dating website. My first message was along the lines of "I saw you on Match.com. Did you go to the same high school I did? I work at this place." Should I be more forward and go ahead and ask if she wants to go eat or something?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I need to get out of my head and just ask this girl to coffee

Her being a total stranger makes it a bit harder. Saw her at the gym today and spent the entire time trying to think up an ice breaker to meet her. It's that weird thing where I feel like I'm on the spot so I'm blanking outside of "Hi, I'm Jim. What's your name? Want to grab coffee?"

I feel like I need to establish a rapport first and I'm blanking. And I think if I wasn't trying to ask her out this would be very easy

Jimothy on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am a massive fuck up and can't do anything right.

I can't take criticism from anyone I care about because I spend so much time criticizing myself I jump to the conclusion that I'm too worthless to try or to actually even be around them at all because clearly I'm just making their life shittier.

• Options
    Yesterday I attended a graduation party for a former poster on these here forums, and a couple other forumers attended.

But we were talking to this former forumer's classmate and she asked how we met and how long we had known each other.
    Classmate: So where did you two meet?
    Me: Oh, the internet!
    Classmate: What?
    Former Forumer: Yeah, an internet community!
    Classmate: Okay, okay. Was that a fairly recent thing?
    Me: Uhh... Hmm... I'd say we've known each other going on ten years?
    Former Forumer: Yeah, ten sounds right.
    Classmate: Cool, cool. I would have been twelve.
    Me: Ya... Ya don't need to include stuff like tha-- I have to go.

• Options
    Well she accepted my friend request on Facebook but hasn't looked at the message I sent her on Messenger yet. So I don't know what to think about that. I'm pretty sure she looked at my Match.com profile.

I've never tried to talk to someone I saw on a dating website. My first message was along the lines of "I saw you on Match.com. Did you go to the same high school I did? I work at this place." Should I be more forward and go ahead and ask if she wants to go eat or something?

It's probably fine, don't sweat it. Wait a couple of days and then and only then maybe send a follow up since FB messages from non friends often get lost in limbo.

If that doesn't pan out, don't worry about it.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I am a massive fuck up and can't do anything right.

I can't take criticism from anyone I care about because I spend so much time criticizing myself I jump to the conclusion that I'm too worthless to try or to actually even be around them at all because clearly I'm just making their life shittier.

Just breathe, my dude.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »

It's probably fine, don't sweat it. Wait a couple of days and then and only then maybe send a follow up since FB messages from non friends often get lost in limbo.

If things seems like they're starting to go well with this person I hope I can get their phone number as soon as possible because honestly the way Messenger works aggravates my insecurity. At least with normal text messages there's no way to know if someone has seen your message or not and you can't know how long ago they were active. Honestly things might have gone better with my last crush if I could have just texted her normally instead of using Messenger.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Just think I know I am going through a lot and have warnings of don't bother on my online accounts
    But what someone wrote in their match profile is crazy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx5CkFbuGGc

I know this guy is doing a bit, but I wanna hit him with a chair.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Yesterday I attended a graduation party for a former poster on these here forums, and a couple other forumers attended.

But we were talking to this former forumer's classmate and she asked how we met and how long we had known each other.
    Classmate: So where did you two meet?
    Me: Oh, the internet!
    Classmate: What?
    Former Forumer: Yeah, an internet community!
    Classmate: Okay, okay. Was that a fairly recent thing?
    Me: Uhh... Hmm... I'd say we've known each other going on ten years?
    Former Forumer: Yeah, ten sounds right.
    Classmate: Cool, cool. I would have been twelve.
    Me: Ya... Ya don't need to include stuff like tha-- I have to go.

One of my coworkers told me she had watched Avatar (blue cat people, not the glowing arrow) when she was 13.

That was the thing that just made me feel old for the first time ;_;

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    saying you met someone on the internet when they were 12 sounds just a little dangerous

• Options
    edited May 2017

I went ahead and shot her another message just now. I wrote:

"I thought you might not have seen where I had sent you a message before because I had sent them before you accepted my friend request. I wanted to send you a message on Match.com but that place is crazy expensive. Anyway, you said on your profile you're a bit of a nerd. What kind of things do you like?"

EDIT: She's messaging me back right now!

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I think that looks fine, @Hexmage-PA

I may not be the best judge of such matters

My bookstore and lunch date? / hangout? went very well I think

We walked around talking about books and stuff for a couple of hours, we bought a goofy motivational book that had the word badass on the cover to take turns reading!

And then we went to lunch and it was good and fun

And I bought her lunch, so that's good too?

I'm not entirely sure if we're on the same page, but the rush into things approach hasn't exactly worked in the past

Now, I have that Kamen Rider picture, so I should be good to go

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    saying you met someone on the internet when they were 12 sounds just a little dangerous

Depending on a whole shit-ton of other context sure. I met a lot of people on the internet when they were 12 and I was also 12, for instance.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

They were simply remarking how old they were when the other guy & I met.

• Options
    edited May 2017

If things seems like they're starting to go well with this person I hope I can get their phone number as soon as possible because honestly the way Messenger works aggravates my insecurity. At least with normal text messages there's no way to know if someone has seen your message or not and you can't know how long ago they were active. Honestly things might have gone better with my last crush if I could have just texted her normally instead of using Messenger.

Messenger is very, very often wrong about 'seen at' and last online nonsense. Ignore it.
    Also don't use messenger, it's a horribly written app that drains batteries.

Einzel on
  • Options
    I just finished talking to the girl I found on Match.com. We haven't set anything concrete yet because she has a weird work schedule, but when I asked if she'd like to hang out sometime she said she would. So now I just have to wait and see if she gets back to me with a day that would be good for her.

I wonder how compatible we'll end up being? She said on her profile that she's nerdy, but she also acted like when we were talking just now that she's mostly into books and I don't really read that much (I prefer media conducive to multi-tasking myself). Oh well, I thought the last person I was interested in was a near perfect match for me and that didn't work out, so who knows?

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    fine, i'll post this draft that makes me seem the most up my own ass, but i love dancing. it is such a joyful thing. i love to share.
    as someone whose dancing has been complimented many a time, i can tell you that as a layman, i can easily spot bad dancers.
    i can also tell you that bad dancers who look like they're having. a. blast. are a pleasure to see, as opposed to those who are just trying to hunt, grind up and mimic sex, or disappear chameleon-like. because unlike the former, dancing as an activity is clearly a means to an end.

the only times i have partnered with strangers --better or worse at dancing-- they had a sense of play, and wanted to share that fun. i would much rather meet someone authentic enough to lack skill but persevere in enjoyment versus someone doing the thing they think will attract others.

like, I've never been seriously trolling for a hookup, but it's always struck me as weird to --if you don't like dancing-- get on the floor to try and meet someone. (granted, if i am on a dancefloor, i am there for the business of dancing, don't fuckin step to me unless you can relate or i know you.) if you just like the music, hang at the bar. if you're self-conscious or simply not good at dancing, relaxing enough to enjoy it is a great way to bond; i could not count the number of times i have acted as a cheerleader or impromptu dance instructor. but engaging in something you don't enjoy or actively dislike, in an environment expressly suited to that purpose, in order to connect with someone who presumably enjoys said thing... it smacks of dishonesty or seems predatory, i guess.

part of that distaste reflects my attitude towards sex etc. simulated sex on a dancefloor with strangers as a substitute or prelude is not how i vet potential partners; i am more likely to be annoyed by assumptions about my preferences, and being treated as part of the cattle call. i am really friendly, physically affectionate, and extremely particular about my personal space. and if it's actual dancing, again, the respect, dedication, or enthusiasm shown is going to be more of a positive indicator than raw skill or technical prowess, and the moment simply enjoyed for itself. which, yo, pretty well applies to most activities.
    clubbin' protip: earplugs!

lfchwLd.jpg
This discussion has been closed.