As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARMS] Update 4.0 is live, new character Misango added

Maz-Maz- 飛べRegistered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology
BcH6Yyl.png

DLC when

zi0DohQ.jpg?1

ARMS is Nintendo's latest new IP. It's a fighting game that will be released exclusively on the Nintendo Switch on June 16th. One thing that sets ARMS apart from most other fighting games is its unique, over-the-shoulder perspective. Naturally, you can punch your opponent, you can block them and you can grab them - these three actions kind of work in a rock-paper-scissors system. Block punches, grab a blocking opponent and punch an opponent that's trying to grab you. However, there's something unique about the way attacks work in ARMS. All of the characters have extendable limbs of some kind, and their punches can reach an opponent all the way across the arena. Not only that, but you can also twist and curve your punches in mid-air. Furthermore, each character can equip two of the titular Arms - special kinds of boxing gloves, if you will, that all have unique effects, weight and elemental affinities. The result is an exceptionally unique fighting game that places a heavy emphasis on customization, movement and reading your opponent. The game was designed with motion controls in mind, making full use of the Switch's Joy-Con controllers, though it should be noted that "regular" controls are also supported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7s3UB_8dFM

The characters

PNaBkua.jpg?1

SPRING MAN - THE BOUNCER

A well-rounded character whose passion for fighting is only matched by his passion for pizza. Spring Man's biggest strength is his unwavering determination - when his health drops below 25%, his attacks will become permanently charged.

Home stage: Spring Stadium

SBJKSib.jpg?1

RIBBON GIRL - THE AIRESS

A pop idol who loves singing and dancing, Ribbon Girl also makes use of her agility in the ring. She can jump a total of four consecutive times, giving her unparalleled maneuverability in the air.

Home stage: Ribbon Ring

XXqEB9s.jpg?1

NINJARA - THE STUDENT OF STEALTH

A student at Rasen Ninjutsu University, he's entering the Arms Grand-Prix as his senior project. As you might expect from a ninja, Ninjara is quick and nimble and adept at hiding. When he evades or blocks an attack, he disappears in a puff of smoke, allowing him to counterattack immediately.

Home stage: Ninja College

YchsJ19.jpg?1

MASTER MUMMY - THE GRIM CREEPER

An unusually buff mummy who one day suddenly woke up at the Mausoleum and is now using the Arms Grand-Prix to search for his long-lost family. He is slow, but he takes nearly no knockback from most normal punches and can even regenerate health when blocking.

Home stage: Mausoleum

HGgte0O.jpg?1

MECHANICA - THE SCRAPYARD SCRAPPER

A regular girl who's always wanted to take part in the Arms Grand-Prix - so she just built herself an exoskeleton with extendable arms. She can hover in mid-air for multiple seconds.

Home stage: Scrapyard

KBMh5zq.jpg?1

MIN MIN - THE RAMEN BOMBER

This spicy fighter comes from a family that owns a famous noodle restaurant, which Min Min is hoping to promote by winning the Grand-Prix. She can deflect enemy punches in mid-air by kicking them.

Home stage: Ramen Bowl

Cn8IxVj.jpg?1

HELIX - THE "MAN" OF MYSTERY

The result of a genetic experiment at ARMS Laboratory, Helix is weird as hell. His elastic body allows him to stretch and shrink at will, making it extremely hard to land hits on him.

Home stage: DNA Lab

271As2U.png?1

BYTE & BARQ - THE CLOCKWORK COPS

A robot pair consisting of a patrol cop and his loyal dog, this duo is a force to be reckoned with. Barq acts independently from Byte, who can in turn use his canine companion as a springboard. When using their special attack, the two of them can temporarily combine.

Home stage: Buster Beach

o9nd3Gy.jpg?1

TWINTELLE - THE SILVER SCREEN QUEEN

A famous actress, she actually uses her hair to fight. She has the unique ability to slow down her enemies' punches while in mid-air.

Home stage: Cinema Deux

And now some math:

pQckKP4.jpg?1

SpzAxpT.jpg?1

KID COBRA - THE SPEED DEMON

A skateboarder who has entered to Grand-Prix in order to increase viewership of his, ahem, radical livestreams. He is extremely fast on the ground and can dash consecutively.

Home stage: Snake Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIElAe6LflY

Choosing your fighter is only the first step, though. Choosing the two Arms they will equip for each battle is just as crucial. You can wear a different Arm on each hand, bringing the total of possible Arms & fighters combinations to over 4000. Arms have a variety of effects, from stunning your opponent to blinding them or simply knocking them down. Arms also come in three different weight classes, and you can block an opponent's punch with your own if your Arm is of equal or greater weight. You can earn more Arms by spending the in-game currency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY2_Xu3f8Bc

Naturally, there are a variety of modes in the game, from the singleplayer Grand-Prix to various online and offline multiplayer modes. There are even some fun mini games like Hoops, where your goal is to literally dunk your opponent into a basketball hoop by grabbing them, or V-Ball, a volleyball variant with an explosive ball.

Wanna try out the game? Then get ready for the ARMS Global Testpunch:

4b51XCQ.jpg?1

Head to the Switch eShop and download the ARMS Global Testpunch demo version. At the specified times this weekend and next weekend, you will be able to play ARMS and try out some of the characters, modes and stages:

YFxYBly.jpg?1

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
Maz- on

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Also, Spring Man can deflect attacks by charging up, Ribbon Girl can dive back to the floor quickly when she's in the air, and Minmin can turn her left arm into a dragon by charging up, enhancing it.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Forget Lanky, give me Inspector Gadget.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Best crossover DLC ever.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm

Reskin for Barq and Byte. Barq becomes Brain.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I've been eyeing this game as a new competitive-esq title to play instead of some of the others that are already out there.

The possibility is there, but I'm going to be playing the test-fire to see how much potential it has. Honestly, I was going to pick up Splatoon 2 instead, but this game might sway my purchase.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the notion that it will likely be constantly evolving, ala Overwatch. I wonder what kind of other crossovers we might see added? Pizza the Hut with stretchy cheese arms! A Castlevania/Belmont character with whips!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm a big fan of the notion that it will likely be constantly evolving, ala Overwatch. I wonder what kind of other crossovers we might see added? Pizza the Hut with stretchy cheese arms! A Castlevania/Belmont character with whips!

Oh man, don't tease.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    12 hours to go! I really hope I'll get home in time from work, I'd hate to miss even one of the test windows.

15 minutes!

How long is the testpunch? I poor-planninged myself into being away from my Switch until 8:30.

Enlong wrote: »
    How long is the testpunch? I poor-planninged myself into being away from my Switch until 8:30.

Each period is 1 hour.

That's fine. I'll still have a fair chunk of time for a couple matches.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    This game is amazing! Wish it would stop DCing though! haha. Spring-a-ling!

Edit: Ok, so the 2 on 1 shit is hilarious. Those matches rock. I also do like the speed of the matches right now. Since it stopped disconnecting it's been really fast to get in a round or 3!

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay. Need to play this on a big screen, as my usual playing style doesn't fit well for either thumbs-up control or Pro controller control.

For those curious, Pro control:

ZL/ ZR throws punches (controlled by sticks)
    B and A also throw punches
    Y dashes, X jumps
    Left stick in blocks.

when punching you lose a lot of movement control, obviously.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm 100% sold on this game

So fun

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    ARMS is great. Mechanica is an unstoppable punching machine.

I really want to try B&B and Twintelle.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I was already pretty much sold on this game, but having a blast even while losing is a good sign for me.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm.

Not entirely sold on these motion controls. Need practice I think.

Not bad overall, but it has an unfortunate release date for me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited May 2017
    That was fun. I need to learn how to properly aim and curve my punches, though.

Thus far, Ribbon Girl has been my jam. The combination of Slapamander and the basic Shock fist had just the right balance of power and trickery. And of course her mobility is awesome. I need to work out dive combo trickery.

Sadly, minmin's Dragon seemed less than useful. It might just be the easiest arm to predict?

Enlong on
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    That was great. Played with my kids. Even my 6 year old had a ball.

There was one match where my son got paired with the best player in our lobby. My son got knocked out early and we then watched his partner completely outplay the other two opponents. It was amazing. There's definitely a reasonable skill ceiling.

Volleyball... I didn't particularly enjoy it compared to the fights, however I think it's reasonable for a party mode with people who are new to the game. And by the end I was getting better and saving my punches for the right time.

The 3 and 4 player matches were a bit compromised be because I didn't know what the 'Switch Target' button until it was over. It's up on the D-Pad on left joy con... hopefully that can be remapped.

Kriegaffe on
    Wait you can switch targets?

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Definitely can't spam punches like you are Wii Sports Boxing, really fun have to keep moving and guess what punches they'll throw. Really like the boomerang arm with Spring Man, huge curves to come at them from the sides. Also damn it seems almost impossible to hit or grab a ninja dude who plays good. His movements are confusing.

Yup, there was a 'Help' option on the main menu which had doco about character info, controls, etc.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

I think it's... up on the left pad if you're using thumbs-up?

But using the Pro Controller it's the right stick, which is *vastly* more handy.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch

Directional buttons on the left Joy-Con.

Really enjoyed that hour. Definitely had the best time in 1-on-1 matches, those were a blast. Free for all matches with 3 or 4 people were a bit too chaotic at this point when everyone is still getting used to the game.

Definitely need to learn how to properly curve my punches. It wasn't really working too well when I was resting my arms (heh) on my legs.

• KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    The only reason I couldn't win every match was cause of that blasted volleyball. And 1v1v1 where they decide to 2v1 me.
    Min Min and double dragons is the best spam combo.
    Great game, motion controls all the way.

But yeah, man, that session was running smooth as butter for me. Even on wireless, I don't think I noticed any lag or disconnects (until the servers went down).

Really do like the party lobby thing, keeps people constantly getting into games fast.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Volleyball do a grab to set up the ball, makes it pause in the air for a bit for you to follow up with a punch to spike the ball. Hit it with a curve punch to spike it at odd angles.

• MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Athenor wrote: »
    Okay. Need to play this on a big screen, as my usual playing style doesn't fit well for either thumbs-up control or Pro controller control.

For those curious, Pro control:

ZL/ ZR throws punches (controlled by sticks)
    B and A also throw punches
    Y dashes, X jumps
    Left stick in blocks.

when punching you lose a lot of movement control, obviously.
    Say you throw a left punch and then quickly follow up with a right, can you adjust the aim of both punches with each stick? I asked because this pic makes it seem like aiming was just with the left stick.

original.jpg

MiserableMirth on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Ah crap I totally missed the first test-punch!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Don't worry, you only missed 1/3rd of it.

This first testpunch is all 3 days of this weekend, so you can try again tomorrow or Sunday.

I am not a big fan of L-Stick DOWN being the guard. Hope they let me switch it to something else, prefer left button trigger or something.

That being said, controls are super responsive and tight for gamepad mode and once you start switching targets the matches become a lot better in the 1v1v1, etc. Even though those always ended up with 2 people vs me haha.

The lobby system is awesome so far - it's quick. I like getting the matches in and moving on. Day 1 buy for me 100%.

Spring-a-ling!

It's day 1 for me too.

The big question I had going in was "Would I enjoy playing this by myself?" And from what I've seen of the combat mechanics I reckon I'd love to spend a few hours doing the target practice mode and vs CPU just to get better at using the various ARMS.

That and I can see couch co-op multiplayer being fun with both kids and friends.

Given the portability of the system as well, this will make for insanely fast and fun pick-up games.

Was wondering how you choose pallet swaps for the characters. Did some digging.

Apparently on the character select screen, click the left stick down and push left, right, or down on it, and then lock in the character selection. It should change to the alternate color immediately?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Was wondering how you choose pallet swaps for the characters. Did some digging.

Apparently on the character select screen, click the left stick down and push left, right, or down on it, and then lock in the character selection. It should change to the alternate color immediately?

here is confirmation in video form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXQQbnr8UZM&t=0s

Thanks GameXplain!

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Hmm, I can't really get Min Min's special counter move to work. The timing seems really tough.

Anyway, played this round in handheld mode and it worked quite well, though just like with using the Joy-Con, I had trouble curving my punches. Got the rest of the controls down quite well though, except maybe blocking. I won my lobby with 91 cash, so I can't really complain though :bzz:

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Managed to get the tutorial fight in before the servers went down.. seems fun but I have to see what it's like vs actual people first.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I made it to 80 money in about 50 minutes, then got kicked by my crappy wifi connection.
    I'm about 80% sold on this game, and if reviews say it's got a decent single-player mode, that'll cover the last 20% (my internet's unreliable enough that I just don't play 100% online games).

Got a decent amount of practice in with all the characters, and had the easiest time with Master Mummy (though at least one of those matches had someone who clearly hadn't played the tutorial, and another group fight had both sides more or less ignore me for most of it).

I definitely need some practice with some of these weapons, though.

I do like that you can see how other matches are going in the lobby. It's something to focus on while you wait.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Oh, is it only up for an hour? Missed it again.

MhCw7nZ.gif