As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM]: computer games and cooked veggies since 2003 and the paleolithic, respectively

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Technically Hexen II came out before Heretic II. Also Hexen 2 goes even further down the RPG hole by having you level up, IIRC.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Hooked my computer back up to my TV yesterday. New one has an HDMI port on the graphics card so that was a lot easier.

Then I spent an hour figuring out what was causing some input lag. I think I got it mostly working.

Anyone know why my TV screen would slowly turn purple when I'm watching YouTube full screen though?
    A while back I had something similar happen, and it was because of the placement of my Wii Sensor Bar. Have a similar set-up going?

I do have a sensor bar running to my WiiU yeah.

I'll try moving stuff around, see what happened. It only started doing that after I adjusted some cables last night.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Heretic 2 also does not appear to be on Steam?

Which is odd.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »
    Heretic 2 also does not appear to be on Steam?

Which is odd.

Neither is the Hexen II expansion.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say they're in publishing rights limbo between Bethesda and Activision.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    man i loved hexen 2 to death

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Wasn't the original Hexen a launch or near launch game for the N64? I remember renting it while I was just so starved for something to play other than Golden Eye.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm so, I have Dark Souls 1, and I enjoyed the 15 hours or so I put into it before I gave up. I see 2 and 3 are both on sale, but I can only snag one. Which is the better one gameplay wise? I see a ton of stuff online say 2 is the light (no pun intended) But 3 is the newest one and I've heard a lot of good things?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I liked them both equally honestly but I'm not huge into the ins and outs of each

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    "What plays better" between Souls 2 and 3 is so polarizing that it's difficult to advise on, generally 3 is more frenetic with significantly less emphasis on heavy armour and big shields than 2 and 1

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2 plays more like Dark Souls 1. Slow and steady, figuring out how to approach enemies and working your way through them. It's also my favorite game in the series.

Dark Souls 3 is a hybrid of Dark Souls and Bloodborne. All the enemies are fast and aggressive while your character is still slow and deliberate, which makes it probably the most difficult game out of all of them. Also the story is just Dark Souls 1 again.

If you want something different in a good way, go Dark Souls 2.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    If you're picking between them and price isn't a big factor, I'd probably recommend 3 over 2 just as a game to play.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Highly recommend you don't go for Scholar of the First Sin as your first DS2 experience, it's a remix designed to fuck your face

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Boy. I should play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger again.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Highly recommend you don't go for Scholar of the First Sin as your first DS2 experience, it's a remix designed to fuck your face

Considering the DLC areas are some of the best content in the game I can only recommend the opposite. There's really just one zone that is noticeably harder than the original version, everything else is simply different. There may be some optional areas too difficult for a new character but that's not really a big deal, just come back later.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    If you're picking between them and price isn't a big factor, I'd probably recommend 3 over 2 just as a game to play.

To expand slightly: I found Dark Souls 3 both more fun and more aesthetically pleasing than Dark Souls 2, so that's pretty much the whole of my recommendation.

...Also the bosses are way better in 3 than 2, especially in terms of how cool they are

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    dark souls 2 and 3 are notably different from 1 in that it's not just about one on one duels with enemies, but instead about learning to fight not locked on and managing multiple opponents, and being aggressive and not always relying on a shield (although it's still valid to do so)

2 was very good step in the right direction, but 3 is really where they got a lot of things right

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

Considering the DLC areas are some of the best content in the game I can only recommend the opposite. There's really just one zone that is noticeably harder than the original version, everything else is simply different. There may be some optional areas too difficult for a new character but that's not really a big deal, just come back later.

I am tempted to get First Sin since its the graphically overhauled version. Both are only $11.99 and come with the base game and all the DLC. The Dark Souls 1 version I played was the Prepare to Die Edition which I have been told was similarly slightly harder

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    They're all good games, you can't go wrong with any of them

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Singularity is a fun one by Raven. You have time powers and can turn Russians into old dead dudes.

Yes! Super fun, linear shooter with light, time power puzzles and satisfying weapons. Also you upgrade the sniper rifle to steerable bullets with the camera riding right behind the bullet which is amazing. (There is one short awful sewer level that must be endured before you go back to killing commies.) This one doesn't always go on sale, so $7.50 right now is a good pickup.
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger is dope. Fun storytelling device, fun to play, doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Also yes! CoJ; Gunslinger is just a fantastic, contained experience. A great shooter with a good story (and compelling narrator) and some light level ups/skill choosing. And it doesn't overstay its welcome at around 7-8 hours. (Again, there is one unfortunate level in a graveyard, but otherwise it's one fun set piece after another.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    They're all good games, you can't go wrong with any of them

They're good games bucketmon

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    I liked Singularity but I will say this

Time Ticks

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I find I am willing to overlook many of Fallout 4's flaws now that it has given me a shotgun that sets people on fire.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Fallout 4's flaws are easy to ignore if you just wander away from the main quest markers and never look back

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Man, what really sucks about this sale's card meta thing is that the background images you unlock are all very dark and shadow-y, not the kind of sparkly, bubbly summer fun I associate with the event. Blegh

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Are they remaking D2 in hd and do I really need to buy it again

the amount of mods and even if you wanna play vanilla plugy makes it dope as heck

I just checked my saves and I've got a 68 sorc to go through hell and a bunch of other gimmicks I can test but quickly swap out thanks to plugy + 1.13, also a WHOLE world of retrofit mods I have not tried

I love diablo 2 everyone, I'm glad a lot of people like 3 but I don't know what it is 2 is magical to me

WHAT A SURPRISE RIGHT?

yeah same
    there's something that 2 has that makes it magical that 3 lacks
    I think my main issue with 3 is that it's so transparently a number salad, and it exponentially raises those numbers so quickly and so often that they have no meaning. You become numb to the whole affair almost immediately. I'm pretty sure there were parts of that game where I found one weapon upgrade, my damage quintupled, and then I killed an act boss in four seconds before his intro script even finished.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I liked diablo 3 a lot more than 2

it was extremely smart of them to give your characters the ability to do cool shit without always needing mana potions

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    3 certainly turned into a game I liked more than 2. Right when they took away the RMAH, 3 just kept getting better and better.

That's not to take anything away from 2, though. I've reinstalled that damn game more times than I'd care to admit over the years. And time played is probably second to the time I spent playing Everquest.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    The D3 necromancer refuses to follow the /dance command
    and comments on it

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    dark souls 2 and 3 are notably different from 1 in that it's not just about one on one duels with enemies, but instead about learning to fight not locked on and managing multiple opponents, and being aggressive and not always relying on a shield (although it's still valid to do so)

2 was very good step in the right direction, but 3 is really where they got a lot of things right

1 forced you into group fights pretty often as well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

1 forced you into group fights pretty often as well
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

I am tempted to get First Sin since its the graphically overhauled version. Both are only $11.99 and come with the base game and all the DLC. The Dark Souls 1 version I played was the Prepare to Die Edition which I have been told was similarly slightly harder

SotFS is much improved over base DS2 in my opinion, you're not missing anything by not playing the original.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    removing the rmah caused blizzard to homogenize the shit out of builds and did some pretty serious damage to the design philosophy

the shift to focusing exclusively on sets being the only meaningful progression made every character samey as shit and stifled any sort of unique builds

D3 had a lot of problems at release and people like to pin it all on the rmah, but that was a symptom of design philosophy rather than the cause of it

and honestly, after they removed the rmah it really started blizzards increasing design philosophy across all their games of "fuck you you will play the game how we decide and also RNG is super fun"

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I liked diablo 3 a lot more than 2

it was extremely smart of them to give your characters the ability to do cool shit without always needing mana potions

D3 nailed combat flow and abilities/synergies way better than 2, but 3's item system has never been perfect and at worst, a complete debacle. Its progression curve is its greatest weakness

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Man, what really sucks about this sale's card meta thing is that the background images you unlock are all very dark and shadow-y, not the kind of sparkly, bubbly summer fun I associate with the event. Blegh

It's supposed to contrast with the shiny-happy sticker book you're making. The park with the people jogging is turned into a parking lot. The beach boardwalk is turned into a sand-covered wasteland.

I think it was a nice touch.

(Of course, I'd rather have a wallpaper of the sticker book art than the card art.)

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm so, I have Dark Souls 1, and I enjoyed the 15 hours or so I put into it before I gave up. I see 2 and 3 are both on sale, but I can only snag one. Which is the better one gameplay wise? I see a ton of stuff online say 2 is the light (no pun intended) But 3 is the newest one and I've heard a lot of good things?

they are very different games

If you found Dark Souls 1 frustrating, DS2 is pretty much more of the same but deeper.

DS3 is distinct from DS1 and 2 in a variety of subtle ways that may appeal to you

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    removing the rmah caused blizzard to homogenize the shit out of builds and did some pretty serious damage to the design philosophy

the shift to focusing exclusively on sets being the only meaningful progression made every character samey as shit and stifled any sort of unique builds

D3 had a lot of problems at release and people like to pin it all on the rmah, but that was a symptom of design philosophy rather than the cause of it

and honestly, after they removed the rmah it really started blizzards increasing design philosophy across all their games of "fuck you you will play the game how we decide and also RNG is super fun"

How exactly does removing the rmah necessitate/cause the homogenization of the builds (which I agree, is a bit stale)? I don't see the connection.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    I think this Steam Sale I'm going to get DS2, Dragons Dogma, and get my lady Planet Coaster.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The thing about the Diablo games is that no one who talks about them ever sounds like they had any fun.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I will say that killing the RMAH meant that I'd never play it, because some day I figured I'd pick it up, play around a bit and then spend money on the best gear to try that out. My time is worth more than my money in that context.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Diablo 3 is good and I think the biggest part of that was unfucking the drop system which makes it more impressive that the system for getting legendary items in the new wow expansion sounds like it is basically vanilla D3

D3 build variety seems pretty good to me though? Depending on sets isn't a huge deal now that set and legendary items are a thing people can actually get

I'd like to see new sets and legendary options that opened up even more builds for sure but every class has multiple builds that are able to handle everything but extreme high level greater rifts

Though I also wanted them to make it so witch doctors could actually control their pets and then blizzard decided that controllable (ie useful) pets was suddenly core to the class identity of the necromancer in order to justify putting it in and that dream died

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.