Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    speaking of killing brain cells, here is a pair of games upcoming in the Edmonton Oilers' schedule

1/13/18 10:00 PM ET @ Vegas
    1/20/18 10:00 PM ET Vancouver

so they play their first game against the Golden Knights in Las Vegas, and then have a full week off before they play the Canucks.

What makes this extra amusing to me, and makes it very unlikely that it's a coincidence, is that January 13th, 2018 is also Connor McDavid's 21st birthday.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    speaking of killing brain cells, here is a pair of games upcoming in the Edmonton Oilers' schedule

1/13/18 10:00 PM ET @ Vegas
    1/20/18 10:00 PM ET Vancouver

so they play their first game against the Golden Knights in Las Vegas, and then have a full week off before they play the Canucks.

What makes this extra amusing to me, and makes it very unlikely that it's a coincidence, is that January 13th, 2018 is also Connor McDavid's 21st birthday.

that's a hilarious coincidence. But remember that all teams get a minimum 5 day bye/break during the season. That just happens to be the Oilers turn.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    but the league is totally serious about preventing head injuries

the actual explanation is, somehow, even worse.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I know, let's put Milan Lucic, one of our bigger and slower guys, out in the 3 on 3 portion of the game where speed and agility shine.

McLellan is a Bad Coach.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Ugh

Also, if the hit to the head wasn't bad enough for a concussion test, clutching his head seems like embellishment.

Maybe if you haul them off for testing anyway every time they clutch their head, goalies will think twice before trying to oversell a hit

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    He got punched in the head by his d-man. It wasn't a stick and it wasn't a glancing blow.
    These explanations are straight up horse shit and the league & officials just caved to a goalie refusing to leave and an angry coach.
    Completely embarassing.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, straight up punching a dude in the head is still legal. I mean, the sport is still cool with bare knuckle boxing, so really, they aren't too worried about head injuries.

Bieksa superman punched Gudas tonight, for example.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    I remember when the Oilers scored goals.

Those were better times.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    He got punched in the head by his d-man. It wasn't a stick and it wasn't a glancing blow.
    These explanations are straight up horse shit and the league & officials just caved to a goalie refusing to leave and an angry coach.
    Completely embarassing.

Everyone knows concussions are o ly caused by shoulders. It is impossible for a stick to cause a concussion. And if, somehow, a stick were to cause a concussion, which we have already discussed is impossible, you would be able to determine if it was a concussion in, what, 2 minutes? Max?

Yeah. Sounds good. Write it down as our policy

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Completely embarassing.

Everyone knows concussions are only caused by shoulders. It is impossible for a stick to cause a concussion. And if, somehow, a stick were to cause a concussion, which we have already discussed is impossible, you would be able to determine if it was a concussion in, what, 2 minutes? Max?

Yeah. Sounds good. Write it down as our policy

I put the bulk of the blame on the NHL here but also some on the coach. Your star goalie just got smoked in the head less than 10 games into the season. Maybe you take the time to make sure he's ok?

I think we did talk about this and the "playing hurt" culture and I argued that you will never have players or organizations voluntarily removing players due to the competitive nature of these people and the potential prizes and this is like a textbook example.

The league has the responsibility to force compliance and coaches should be held to account for looking the other way if you want anything to change.

• Options
    I find it hilarious that Bergevin held a "everyone relax, we're good now" press conference today

Congratulations, you beat the worst team in the conference other than yourselves. Time to start planning the parade!

• Options
  • Options
    normally I wouldn't celebrate someone getting injured

but fighting in hockey is dumb and bad and maybe if he learns something from a hand injury it will save someone else a head injury

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

Apparently it's his left hand, not the one he slammed into an opponent's head while leaping towards him.

So fighting is totally safe and cool still you guys!

• Options
    I'm glad because it's Bieksa.

• Options
    I'm kind of amazed he's still playing. His last year or two with Van were not good.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Apparently it's his left hand, not the one he slammed into an opponent's head while leaping towards him.

So hold on, he superman punched that other guy and injured the other hand?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I've been meaning to follow a sport for a while now, and I enjoyed watching hockey a lot as a kid.

I'd like to follow the Kings this year, given that I live in LA.

But like, I have no TV and no cable subscription or anything. How do I... watch games? Being new to this it's surprisingly tricky to figure out.

Edit: Oh geeze I think I found it but $140 is a big ask.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I've been meaning to follow a sport for a while now, and I enjoyed watching hockey a lot as a kid.

I'd like to follow the Kings this year, given that I live in LA.

But like, I have no TV and no cable subscription or anything. How do I... watch games? Being new to this it's surprisingly tricky to figure out.

Edit: Oh geeze I think I found it but $140 is a big ask.

Any Internet TV service should work for you, but they're monthly. $140 probably refers to NHL Center Ice, which means you'll get blacked out since you live in the market that houses the team you want to follow.

I use Sling TV. $25/month gets you Fox Sports West, where the Kings typically broadcast games, and NBC Sports, when they are nationally televised. The only thing you don't get (without adding a bundle) is NHL Network, on which the Kings may have 1 or 2 games. There's an app for Sling on Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, AppleTV, Roku, etc.

I think other similar services through Hulu, YouTube, and Playstation have the station as well.'

There are also (not legal) streams on the internets. Those are free and of varying quality and experience. Some are pretty good!

KPC on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Matthews is a cool hockey player

Characters
  • Options
    Toronto plays like 8 year olds in their own end. Running around, disorganized, losing battles.

We really need some stability back there.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »

So hold on, he superman punched that other guy and injured the other hand?

I have no idea how he hurt the other hand, presumably he did not smash it into another person's skull, but it had nothing to do with the fight I believe.

• Options
    Toronto plays like 8 year olds in their own end. Running around, disorganized, losing battles.

We really need some stability back there.

You mean we shouldn't turn the puck over behind our net onto the stick of the opposition so they can pass out front for a one-timer goal?

Characters
  • Options
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Who gets Patrick Roy from the Canadiens this time?

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Please be the avs again. That would be epic.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

Please be the avs again. That would be epic.

And you know what, the trade would actually work, especially if Varlamov is going back.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Didn't Montreal get a whole crapload of nothing last time?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I shouldn't say that. Jocelyn Thibault was ok. Not great, certainly not equal value, but he wasn't nothing

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    fighting in hockey is dumb and bad
    *sigh* Let's please not start this again. Some people like it, some people don't. ~end scene~

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    I shouldn't say that. Jocelyn Thibault was ok. Not great, certainly not equal value, but he wasn't nothing

They traded one french goalie for another. It was basically an even deal to them.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    According to the media, they wouldn't take Varlomov in return because Julien doesn't like Russians.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Can we...uhhh..

Can we trade for Fleury?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Yotes traded for Scott Wedgewood. Hopefully with him we can finally win a game. Cautiously optimistic!

When i went to their OT loss against Vegas, I didn't realize i would be attending their best and most successful game of the early season.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I'm not watching these games but I'm seeing the scores. It appears the Pens are losing by 3+ goals when they lose. Am I just remembering the blowouts, or did our goalie/defense really fall off that much? I mean I expected a little loss. You're going to feel it when guys like Cullen and Hainsey leave, but this seems more like a cliff.

Edit: well this could explain part of it
    Schultz - IR, Concussion
    Cole - IR, Mouth
    Hunwick - IR, Concussion

Mugsley on
  • Options
    So, now Vegas has their top 3 goalies out? Should have kept Pickard!

• Options
    I wouldn't want them to give Pickard back, but Toronto could probably spare McElhinney

or even Garret Sparks, who has more than double the NHL experience of Vegas' 3 most recent goalies combined

• Options
    Vegas had to do an emergency call up of a WHL goalie they drafted this year. Usually NHL teams can't call up junior players once they are sent for the season, but there's a provision that if you do not have any more players under contract at a position except the junior player, you can call up that player on an emergency basis. (emergency basis means as soon as someone is healthy that player has to be sent down)

The only other time I remember an emergency juinor callup was in 2007, the oilers had so many injuries they literally ran out of defensemen. No one left on an NHL contract in their AHL or ECHL system. So up came Sebastian Bisallion, who played the only two NHL games of his career until one of the 7 defensemen the oilers had injured was able to return.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Man, Sidney Crosby's +/- hasn't been that low since his rookie season.

This discussion has been closed.