As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Best part of season tickets to the Ducks this year has been taking my son and nephews to all the perks like meeting the players, skating the ice, visiting the locker room, etc. They’re at that perfect age to be really blown away by it.

I get to play a pickup hockey game at the Honda Center a week from tommorow and there is no age at which I will ever not be blown away by that

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Daddy and Kate standing with Phil. We also ran into Dave Andreychuk picking up our tickets.
    o5s367e57mb8.jpg

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    The fight for the last playoff spot in the Western Conference is gonna be a fascinating train wreck.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    NHL.TV sure is disappointing me - I signed up for the year end deal so I could watch the lightning thru the playoffs, and already two away games in a row are blacked out. Why would you blackout an away game??

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »
    NHL.TV sure is disappointing me - I signed up for the year end deal so I could watch the lightning thru the playoffs, and already two away games in a row are blacked out. Why would you blackout an away game??

When it’s in the away teams area. Quite annoying.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Thats stupid, I'm being punished bc they can't sell out even though my team does? Hopefully that at least goes away with the playoffs.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Thats stupid, I'm being punished bc they can't sell out even though my team does? Hopefully that at least goes away with the playoffs.

NHL doesn't do sellout blackouts, the blackouts for NHL.tv are for nationally televised games, so NBC, NBCSN, and NHL Network games, or whatever their subscription channel is called

(Edit: the playoffs are blackouts because they are nationally televised, generally. A couple in the first round you can watch)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    You know how sometimes NHL teams are frustratingly vague and secretive about player injuries/missed time?

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    In this case I can't imagine having the flu gives you something to target when he comes back.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

NHL doesn't do sellout blackouts, the blackouts for NHL.tv are for nationally televised games, so NBC, NBCSN, and NHL Network games, or whatever their subscription channel is called

(Edit: the playoffs are blackouts because they are nationally televised, generally. A couple in the first round you can watch)

My bad, I've had NHL.tv and the one through the cable company and got things confused. I will say though I prefer being able to pick the broadcast of the game over being forced to listen to the dumb NBC people.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    There are programs, that I am unaware of the legality of, that will remove the blackouts from NHL.tv and MLB.tv.

They are paid programs, and I'm pretty sure MLB could shut them down no problem, if they were illegal?

But I won't mention it by name or link because, it seems shady.

I tried the free trial during the playoffs last year and it worked great, but I normally just go to a bar and watch the games.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    I mostly wanted it since I cut cable, and it should have been a great solution to that problem. Them blacking out any televised game is dumb (though I get why) and basically makes it useless for me since the TBL games are nearly always televised on some channel, and the playoffs certainly are. I'll see if it improves but if not it was a wasted $40 that I won't re-sub next year for sure.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you have a local-ish channel that shows all the Lightning games, you're going to be frustrated by it. We get NESN here in Maine, so I essentially can't watch any Bruins games via NHL.tv (I do have Youtube TV though).

Honestly, the league owned streaming services are going to have local blackouts, so it's really the best option if you live outside your teams local market. It's great for me as a Leafs fan, as practically none of their games get televised down here, except for the odd nationally televised one.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I live 2000 kms from Calgary. I am still considered in Calgary's 'market'. It's super bullshit.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

looks like prospects Vitaly Abramov and Jonathan Davidsson going the other way, but no word if it's just them or if there are picks involved

(I hope for Ottawa's sake there are picks involved. Abramov is good, but that's still not enough for Duchene)

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Fun fact: Columbus plays the Senators in Ottawa tonight. Assuming Duchene plays. this will be the second time in as many seasons that Duchene has been traded and immediately played against his old team.

edit: confirmed, he is playing tonight. What a world.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like there’s 2 first round picks involved too. One this year, and a conditional 2020 based on him re-signing which would surprise me.

• Options
    I wonder what Columbus' plan is here. Now more likely to move Penarin and Bobrovski, or just load up and go for it?

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I wonder what Columbus' plan is here. Now more likely to move Penarin and Bobrovski, or just load up and go for it?

my guess is they're going all-in, with Duchene as insurance for next year if Panarin doesn't re-sign

if not, they probably just raised Panarin's trade value by thinning the market for elite forwards available at the deadline

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I’m super curious about how things end up working out. When Duchene gets into a slump he can be a giant head case and Torts is...well...Torts.

I hope it works out for him there if only because I don’t want him signing with Nashville if he leaves.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    Nick Jensen to the Capitals

Madison Bowey and a 2020 2nd to Detroit

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how I should feel about Hagelin to the Caps.

Also I'm still not 100% certain the Pens will make the playoffs. Every time I check in on them, they're losing a game, and I can't tell if I should blame the D, the goalie, or the overall gameplay

• Options
    I’d blame Jim Rutherford at least as much as I’d blame the D. Jack Johnson is exactly the player he’s been for years now, it’s not his fault GMJR decided to offer him one of the worst contracts in the league

• Options
    I know I praise the bolts all the time. But damn if Kuch isn’t on fire. 100 pts already!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I should feel about Hagelin to the Caps.

Also I'm still not 100% certain the Pens will make the playoffs. Every time I check in on them, they're losing a game, and I can't tell if I should blame the D, the goalie, or the overall gameplay

Yes

• Options
    Ottawa continuing to help Columbus load up... Dzingel to the Blue Jackets.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Is that.... bad for Ottawa? I don't know much about Dzingel but as an Avs fan I'm very interested in Ottawa tanking

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Is that.... bad for Ottawa? I don't know much about Dzingel but as an Avs fan I'm very interested in Ottawa tanking

They are probably going to trade Stone as well (rumour is to CBJ as well), so yeah, they are looking like they are tanking hard.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So the Flyers game had a streaker tonight...

edit- Apparently the first tweet got deleted.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Duchene, Stone and Dzingel has statistically accounted for like 40 something percent of the Sens goals this season....so.....very good for the tank.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    We almost went to the game. Ridiculous prices and near certain chance of rain meant we stayed home (and watched Bohemian Rhapsody after the kids went to bed)

No ragrets

• Options
    So the Stars traded for zuccerello yesterday, and in his first game with the Stars today he recorded a goal an assist...

...and a broken arm.

• Options
  • Options
    I mean, can they subtract their draft travel expenses from their cap hit?

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    You can't draft busts if you don't have any draft picks.
    This is something the Canucks might have benefitted from the in 90s and 2000s.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Jayricho on
  • Options
    So these guys are teammates now

Also, Edmonton did nothing at all at he deadline? Really?

• Options
    Jim Rutherford has officially lost his entire goddamn mind

(Canucks get Tanner Pearson in return, but that doesn’t matter, even if Pittsburgh got him for “future considerations” that would still be a terrible deal, he and his contract are that bad.)

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Talking to TSN, Gudbranson admitted that he wasn't proud of his time on the Canucks.
    I'm not sure the original trade worked out for either the Panthers or the Canucks.

I think jettisoning him is addition by subtraction, but his replacement is Luke Schenn called up from the AHL. I'm not sure that's an upgrade.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
This discussion has been closed.