Options

I am the very model of a modern Major [chat]

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    So Chu is a terrorist? I'll make a note

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    God

Damnit

Of course she is a catholic girl at heart

God

Damnit

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yes I strongly suspect that story is fake

The possibility that it's real, tho, consumes me with pseudosexual tremors

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Developer story smells like bullshit...

...but then again stranger things have happened.

I can 100% believe it based on shit I've seen.

It is the internet though, so probably fake.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    What's going on, Castle

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    The argument about if terrorists are brave or cowardly is fairly pointless. When you look at terrorists training material they tend to play up the bravery aspect. Counter-terrorism stuff tends to comment on the cowardly. The only really interesting aspect of it is how the language is used to frame the individuals involved. But if you're using terrorist then you're using a badly defined word with a lot of baggage in and of itself.

• Options
    Also I stopped responding for a few minutes because I went to bring my coworker some dinner. Cop cars everywhere and an ambulance. I guess someone ODd in our bathroom

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    What's going on, Castle

Date a woman who is a virgin (at the start) for a year

Meet someone awesome who got that catholic guilt fuuuuuuuuuuu

We've gone out 4/6 days. This chemistry is top tier!

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Also I stopped responding for a few minutes because I went to bring my coworker some dinner. Cop cars everywhere and an ambulance. I guess someone ODd in our bathroom

Opiod crisis is def fake news according to the GOP

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    no way that is a real story. if they fired the developer, they'd have taken the laptop right then and there.

... they might have had a more pressing issue on their hands.

No way. If a company has a "CTO" then they have at least one overhead person on payroll to handle firings. The person would have been at a minimum walked out of the building by the overhead employee to ensure that no company assets were walking out too, and told that the termination papers would be in the mail.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    no way that is a real story. if they fired the developer, they'd have taken the laptop right then and there.

... they might have had a more pressing issue on their hands.

No way. If a company has a "CTO" then they have at least one overhead person on payroll to handle firings. The person would have been at a minimum walked out of the building by the overhead employee to ensure that no company assets were walking out too, and told that the termination papers would be in the mail.

Not sure what is the real story but my company would so fuck this up hardcore

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I'll believe every bad tech company story I read.

• Options
    If Uber can have fucking software to help them evade investigators then the sky's the limit

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    And Slack has an SSO option. I guess it's possible that a company might not set that up but it's not that hard.

• Options
    man, I could ruin my entire company for....

Wow, man. I could shut them down for... huh. The entire retail system. Who decided to trust me!!

• Options
    man, I could ruin my entire company for....

Wow, man. I could shut them down for... huh. The entire retail system. Who decided to trust me!!

I argued strenuously against you at the last board meeting

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    And Slack has an SSO option. I guess it's possible that a company might not set that up but it's not that hard.

do you have to be on the non-free tier for that

our company still uses the free tier because nobody has gone through the hoops to get that paid for

TEN THOUSAND MESSAGE LIMIT IS MY BANE

maybe now that we've been bought out by our bloodsucking enemy we'll have the cash to pay for slack

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

our company still uses the free tier because nobody has gone through the hoops to get that paid for

maybe now that we've been bought out by our bloodsucking enemy we'll have the cash to pay for slack

It's the plus tier apparently.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Why has nobody made a decent pair of running headphones.

Somebody do that

That's what the staples are for

• Options
    Chu why do I attract virginal cool girls

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Developer story smells like bullshit...

...but then again stranger things have happened.

Little Bobby Tables

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

haha yes. this nonsense.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Keurig but for making soup.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    oh fuck, re: this post
    79z1hxu1591z.gif

from Reddit:
    Someone at work made a slider, that any time it was moved it would print:

"I'm a motherfucking slider"

In a log file. The message was triggered for each value changed, so if you slid from 1 to 100 that's 99 lines of "I'm a motherfucking slider". The log file was packed full of it.

Guess they were using it for debugging purposes, but left it in when they committed to the trunk...

EDIT: I should say that we do daily builds, and our releases are few and far between. So this was caught a few days after making it into our daily builds, but before it went into a release.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammerHumor/comments/6evbfd/who_can_make_the_best_volume_slider/didfvp8/

FUCKIN HILAR

• Options
    Ten thousand per user?

• Options
    Ten thousand per user?

LOL NO

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

On it.

• Options

We had a lot of fun playing Lara Croft right

You wanna play tomorrow

@Sir Landshark

• Options
    Ten thousand per user?

LOL NO

Well then perfect for a four person office

• Options
    anybody ever says anything useful? better copy that shit into a text file as a record of civilizations past because it'll be gone in three days

at least we got giphy bot

• Options

didn't [chat] post the pod-based tortilla maker a few months back? just magical.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If I was sufficiently motivated and wanted to go to jail I could probably ruin my workplace.

I mean, they could still work, but they'd lose practically 2 decades worth of data.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Uber Says It Just Noticed Error on Pay, but It Was No Secret

Uber said last week that it had recently discovered an accounting error that had deprived New York drivers of tens of millions of dollars, and vowed to pay back drivers every cent, with interest.

Now evidence has emerged suggesting that Uber and New York State regulators were aware of the improper deductions from drivers’ earnings as early as 2015.

The error involved Uber’s taking its commission on fares that included sales tax, rather than on the pretax portion of the fare. If, for instance, a passenger paid $20 for a ride, and if taxes accounted for roughly $2 of that fare, Uber took its commission on the entire $20, rather than on $18.

When admitting the error last week, Uber officials said they had discovered the problem only a few weeks earlier, as the company was updating its contract.

But changes that Uber made to its contract in 2015 suggest that the company has been aware of the issue and grappling with it since at least that year.

Yep. Uber.

• Options

haha yes. this nonsense.

I wish we'd do something self-hosted, cuz I don't really like the idea of Slack in general. I just fucking know at some point in the next 20 years there'll be some data breach

we do have XMPP but it doesn't support chat rooms for some reason

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    If I was sufficiently motivated and wanted to go to jail I could probably ruin my workplace.

I mean, they could still work, but they'd lose practically 2 decades worth of data.

I don't know how our backup system works so at worse I would only be able to ruin the business of a thousand plus businesses who are our clients for a few days

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    anybody ever says anything useful? better copy that shit into a text file as a record of civilizations past because it'll be gone in three days

at least we got giphy bot

"Consult the ancient records of Four Days Ago"

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Uber Says It Just Noticed Error on Pay, but It Was No Secret

Uber said last week that it had recently discovered an accounting error that had deprived New York drivers of tens of millions of dollars, and vowed to pay back drivers every cent, with interest.

Now evidence has emerged suggesting that Uber and New York State regulators were aware of the improper deductions from drivers’ earnings as early as 2015.

The error involved Uber’s taking its commission on fares that included sales tax, rather than on the pretax portion of the fare. If, for instance, a passenger paid $20 for a ride, and if taxes accounted for roughly $2 of that fare, Uber took its commission on the entire $20, rather than on $18.

When admitting the error last week, Uber officials said they had discovered the problem only a few weeks earlier, as the company was updating its contract.

But changes that Uber made to its contract in 2015 suggest that the company has been aware of the issue and grappling with it since at least that year.

Yep. Uber.

:rotate:

• Options

didn't [chat] post the pod-based tortilla maker a few months back? just magical.

hey what about the supremely over-engineered juice maker that smooshes bags of chopped up fruits and vegetables

and it's app connected

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

yup with the lady that put the super extra latin flavor on the word Tortilla

• Options

hey what about the supremely over-engineered juice maker that smooshes bags of chopped up fruits and vegetables

and it's app connected

And all those 400 lbs of machine beauty are equal to human hands

This discussion has been closed.