As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West 2017 Registration

• DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    This year was the first time since '07 that I didn't buy badges, since I'm attending as a booth worker. Naturally, I also really wanted that dice set. So yesterday I asked a friend to grab me one when he bought his badges, and today I was frantically texting him when registration went up to make sure he got in the queue.

Now to wait for dice to arrive.

Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    For those who are interested, Enforcer Applications went live today.
    http://west.paxsite.com/enforcers

Not sure where to post this, so I thought I share in this thread.

Canderson1989 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Beker wrote: »
    So did I just miss it or was there only a box to check to be in the Omegathon and no text box to plead and garner eye rolls?

A few years ago rather then a text box that many people in a rush don't grok completely, we started sending an email later to the email addresses of the people that purchased badges asking for you to opt in. Then we make the calls based on that.
    There was an opt-in box this time. Is the email based off of that?

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    cedelacruz wrote: »
    I think the demand for Monday badges has gone down by a lot. A lot of attendees are spent by Sunday night, shoot if I was going Saturday I'd be spent by Saturday night "damn these old knees!"

And scalpers have realized they can't make much off Monday badges.

Yeah, Honestly I'm spent by like Sunday afternoon, but I don't usually like my flight options, so I might as well squeeze the rest of the day out of it.

XyqJPIp.png
  • forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    7.5 hours and Monday badges are still available. Surprising. Even with lower demand.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • smallz74smallz74 Sunnyside, WARegistered User regular
    Have to say the best experience buying tickets this year. So glad it worked out for me. 2 years in row now 3 total 2011, 2016 and now 2017. So looking forward to this again.

Twitter: @smallville74
  • captian54captian54 Vidographer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, I bought one set of tickets (by set I mean one of each day) with one credit card for my friend who was at work. I started a separate queue for myself after that and got in while Friday, Sunday, and Monday were still all available. It also showed Saturday as available but when I clicked on to add Saturday it told me I had unavailable items in the cart. Ok, so I unclicked Saturday and it told me I needed to "Clear the cart" to continue. My choices were a button that said "keep current cart" or "Empty cart" I clicked empty thinking I would just need to recheck the ones I could get. BIG MISTAKE. It put me back in the queue and by the time I got in again Only Monday was left. Any thoughts on what happened?

R3z3wlJ.png
    ZOHC4v.png
  • afipanicafipanic Registered User regular
    I can't believe I am doing this thing again. Smooth launch, got Fri - Sun easily for me and my crew. Got Hyatt @ Olive 8 this year (past years paramount) so hoping to get closer but if not I am fine with it. Anyone that has stayed at it, is Hyatt Olive 8 decent?

Next PAX: West 2017!
    Flight: [X]
    Lodging: [X]
    Passes: [X]
    Excitement: [10/10]
  • Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    Fri, Sat and Sun passes went back up this AM. Scored two SAT passes that my son missed out on yesterday. Yea! That's the good news. Bad news is my son realized he fat fingered our street address when he ordered. He already emailed pax_questions to update the order. Is that all he needs to do? How can we verify that they updated his order? Also, does it matter that the two orders (using my CC) were placed with different email addresses? I am hoping PAX only verifies the mailing addresses match the billing address?

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
    Monday badges still available.Hard to fathom.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Fri, Sat and Sun passes went back up this AM. Scored two SAT passes that my son missed out on yesterday. Yea! That's the good news. Bad news is my son realized he fat fingered our street address when he ordered. He already emailed pax_questions to update the order. Is that all he needs to do? How can we verify that they updated his order? Also, does it matter that the two orders (using my CC) were placed with different email addresses? I am hoping PAX only verifies the mailing addresses match the billing address?

Emailing them is the best option, from what I hear they're pretty good at responding, however I wouldn't assume it's done until they verify it with you. I'm sure they're being hit with a ton of traffic now given badges went live yesterday so there's probably more than a few people with similar issues, however there's likely 2ish months before they start sending these out so you have plenty of time.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I updated my sellout times graph for this West. It's a log-scale plot, so the y-axis gets 10 times bigger each major tick. I can't capture most of the detail if I use a normal fixed scale. It's in minutes so I put the important milestones on the right to make it more human-readable. Since Monday hasn't sold out as of this posting, the line just shows the current time.

I see no real surprises with Fri-Sun. Saturday sold out about the same amount earlier than them, Friday and Sun are still essentially the same popularity. Clearly the word is out that Monday isn't hard to obtain and it's not worth getting one if you aren't really sure you'll use it. Whether this means scalpers or fans not buying them is what is pushing the time back is a question I can answer (I'm sure it's a mixture of both).

It's worth noting that Sunday for East 17 took over a month to sell out, so I think it's unfair to judge Monday harshly for taking a few days to sell out. It's like getting a MacArthur Fellowship when your sister won the Nobel.
    2lml9rmrtmh4.png

YoungFrey on
    Just checked. Fri/Sat/Sun badges do seem to keep popping back up this morning. So if you missed one, you might still be able to snag one.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
    you can log in to showclix to change your mailing address. you should also still email [email protected]

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Monday badges still available.Hard to fathom.

Yeah, I've been trying to score a ticket for the past 4 years...and it looks like this is going to be the first year I'm able to go thanks to the Monday tickets still being around. I'm just paranoid that I didn't buy the right thing because there was no online queue to reserve the pass. I mean, "P4X WE5T" is the right thing, right? :P

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    afipanic wrote: »
    I can't believe I am doing this thing again. Smooth launch, got Fri - Sun easily for me and my crew. Got Hyatt @ Olive 8 this year (past years paramount) so hoping to get closer but if not I am fine with it. Anyone that has stayed at it, is Hyatt Olive 8 decent?

Yup, and I specifically booked it this year. I like their pool and hot tub.

• AptosAptos Registered User new member
    Does anyone know what the average price per night is that people are paying for PAX weekend? Most of the hotels around the venue seem to be $350+/night, which seems steep.

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Aptos wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the average price per night is that people are paying for PAX weekend? Most of the hotels around the venue seem to be $350+/night, which seems steep.

There are hotels that you can reserve at a discount, around 240 a night.

See link,
    http://west.paxsite.com/hotels-and-travel

In addition if your by yourself and are so inclined you can participate in roomshare (thread will start soon), stay at a hostel like green tortoise, or stay at a hotel near seatac and just take the tram in each day.

May PAX be upon you.

See link,

In addition if your by yourself and are so inclined you can participate in roomshare (thread will start soon), stay at a hostel like green tortoise, or stay at a hotel near seatac and just take the tram in each day.

The Green Tortoise has been fully booked for awhile. Similarly, The Moore (a cheap old hotel a few blocks out (but still closer then the GT)) is almost booked up. I think word has gotten out that the cheapest rooms can be booked well in advance. I'd guess that a number of those will free up as people who had them as insurance cancel. So your best bet would be to just keep checking.

Just checked. Fri/Sat/Sun badges do seem to keep popping back up this morning. So if you missed one, you might still be able to snag one.

This, the fact that there was almost no wait for tickets, and Monday's continued existence makes me wonder what changed thus year
    YoungFrey wrote: »

See link,

The Green Tortoise has been fully booked for awhile. Similarly, The Moore (a cheap old hotel a few blocks out (but still closer then the GT)) is almost booked up. I think word has gotten out that the cheapest rooms can be booked well in advance. I'd guess that a number of those will free up as people who had them as insurance cancel. So your best bet would be to just keep checking.

In all honesty its been years since I stayed at the green tortoise. The last time I tried to book them they said a school had booked them back in 2014.

I then also realized that if I'm rooming with randos I might as well just roomshare at a hotel.

May PAX be upon you.
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Wonder if E3 took some pressure off Pax West?

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • HodurHodur RedmondRegistered User regular

This is how I got my tickets last year - worked great.

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »

i think it's mostly just a result of ironing out the kinks of the rush to get tickets when they go on sale.

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular

While I doubt it made a significant difference, I have to imagine that there's some segment of people who consider PAX "public E3" and jumped at E3 being open to the public this year and figured they didn't need to do both.

XyqJPIp.png
  • jhangel77jhangel77 OlympiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I'm not sure If this was a new thing this year but as I was buying my badges, I noticed the number of badges you could get PER DAY did not exceed four. I wonder if that was to discourage to many people from buying a bunch.

jhangel77 on
    Extremely lucky PAX Prime Veteran

u5g5tlb8lfym.png

"The couple who plays together, stays together."
  • krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Considering how much papering happened, I doubt it. They need a couple public E3's where they nail the public customers user experience before they start to be competition to PAX.

I think people dropping Monday is more the result of Seattle getting way too expensive more then anything else.

krae_man on
    jhangel77 wrote: »
    I'm not sure If this was a new thing this year but as I was buying my badges, I noticed the number of badges you could get PER DAY did not exceed four. I wonder if that was to discourage to many people from buying a bunch.
    This has been the case for years now. Different paxes have different limits, but this definitely isn't a new thing.

edited June 2017
    krae_man wrote: »

Considering how much papering happened, I doubt it. They need a couple Public E3's where they nail the public customers user experience before they start to being competition to PAX.

I think people dropping Monday is more the result of Seattle getting way too expensive more then anything else.
    Yeah Seattle is just getting more and more expensive, which is really unfortunate but unsurprising.

zerzhul on
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah Seattle is just getting more and more expensive, which is really unfortunate but unsurprising.
    Currently the fastest growing real estate value in the United States over the last 12 months.

Was just there for Memorial Day weekend and it definitely punched me in the wallet pretty good. But as always the food and fun is worth it. Discovered Uwajimaya in the international district on this trip. Can't wait to get back there during West.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular

Considering how much papering happened, I doubt it. They need a couple public E3's where they nail the public customers user experience before they start to be competition to PAX.

I'm from the Bay Area, don't let Seattle be a repeat of San Francisco >.<

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • cedelacruzcedelacruz Kirkland WARegistered User regular
    I moved out of they city 6 years ago and it has changed so much. Traffic gets worse every year.

• DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    afipanic wrote: »

Yup, and I specifically booked it this year. I like their pool and hot tub.

I'll second this. Their pool and hot tub are saltwater instead of chlorine; if you've never been in one you're in for a treat!

Currently the fastest growing real estate value in the United States over the last 12 months.

Was just there for Memorial Day weekend and it definitely punched me in the wallet pretty good. But as always the food and fun is worth it. Discovered Uwajimaya in the international district on this trip. Can't wait to get back there during West.

Uwajimaya is awesome! I found it a few years back, no visit to Seattle is complete without it!

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • chetlinchetlin Registered User new member

I'm from the Bay Area, don't let Seattle be a repeat of San Francisco >.<

I think there's a lot more construction going on in Seattle compared to the Bay Area so that should keep things from getting too out of hand...
    But yeah, there's a lot of demand and also a generally high cost of living, high wages, etc. so it's gotten pricy.

edited June 2017

Not necessarily, unless you live in Seattle your most obvious costs are transport, hotel, and ticket. The hotel I booked was 229 a night and last year it was 216. Compare that to downtown San Diego and its a steal. Having gone to conventions for work and fun it just seems to be the general price for a hotel in a major city.

Ticket prices are moderate, SDCC costs 60 a day while Wondercon is 30.

Travel isn't applicable since the airport isn't in Seattle proper.

I think that its a combination of multiple paxes taking pressure off eachother, a possible peaking interest in conventions amongst the general public, and some people potentially being detered from getting all days due to last years decreased emphasis on games and more space taken by hardware companies(not that Pax could do anything about companies not having as many offerings as other years).

Or its just a one off statistical variation.

EDIT: Unless the bulk if pax westers live in the Seattle area, then yeah that'll do it.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular

Not necessarily, unless you live in Seattle your most obvious costs are transport, hotel, and ticket. The hotel I booked was 229 a night and last year it was 216. Compare that to downtown San Diego and its a steal. Having gone to conventions for work and fun it just seems to be the general price for a hotel in a major city.
    Something else to consider is that a four day event is rather unique, most are still only two or three days.

Since the addition, just about everyone who runs a booth (and a lot of the attendees) I've asked has expressed that the extra day 'really takes it out of them', being used to the shorter length events, not to mention that there are probably a non-trivial number of people who couldn't get Monday off from their IRL commitments.

One of my coworkers would love to go for all four days, but is only able to go for two days due to the work thing. I feel for them, and count myself as lucky to be able to attend all four days.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png

Something else to consider is that a four day event is rather unique, most are still only two or three days.

Since the addition, just about everyone who runs a booth (and a lot of the attendees) I've asked has expressed that the extra day 'really takes it out of them', being used to the shorter length events, not to mention that there are probably a non-trivial number of people who couldn't get Monday off from their IRL commitments.

One of my coworkers would love to go for all four days, but is only able to go for two days due to the work thing. I feel for them, and count myself as lucky to be able to attend all four days.

I think thats a factor but I don't think it that its the answer in and of itself since PAX West Monday tickets sold out in the past 4 Wests(and plenty of people bought monday this year).

So it's a factor but only if people don't see the benefit to going an extra day at a convention as outweighing the cost, which gets back to my original assertion.

May PAX be upon you.
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    This is so weird...
    But it means somebody who wouldn't have had a chance will get to go :D My first year I was only able to buy a Monday badge - and that was enough for me to decide to make the trip up. And then become hooked.
    We shall spread the PAX love ♥

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
    This is so weird...
    But it means somebody who wouldn't have had a chance will get to go :D My first year I was only able to buy a Monday badge - and that was enough for me to decide to make the trip up. And then become hooked.
    We shall spread the PAX love ♥

This, I'm glad ticket sales have cooled down for this very reason.

May PAX be upon you.
    4 days in, Monday is still available. Interesting. Closest analog is probably 2010, when Sunday took an extra month to sell out. Nice to see people not buying badges they don't plan to use.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Man, now the real waiting thread begins