As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West 2017 Registration

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Don't want to get anyone's hope up, but as of the time of this post, all days have been available on the purchase page for at least 15 minutes. I've repeatedly put all 4 days in a cart and canceled it to confirm.

Edit: Now back to Mondays only

MrBroadstone on
  • ancienteternityancienteternity Registered User regular
    Deimir wrote: »
    This year was the first time since '07 that I didn't buy badges, since I'm attending as a booth worker. Naturally, I also really wanted that dice set. So yesterday I asked a friend to grab me one when he bought his badges, and today I was frantically texting him when registration went up to make sure he got in the queue.

Now to wait for dice to arrive.

I wonder how long the items will take to ship out.

3HbAeAg.png

I'm ready for the next PAX already!
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    One full week in and Monday is still up for grabs. Unprecedented for West, but the norm for East. Here's my updated sellout plot, with East's for comparison.
    4tkz72hpqv5v.png
    kamcq3ol2esl.png

Despite East selling out Saturday in just a few hours, Friday & Sunday have almost always taken over a week. I think it just took people a few years to figure out Monday's relative value and start treating appropriately.

• DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    One full week in and Monday is still up for grabs.

I think it just took people a few years to figure out Monday's relative value and start treating appropriately.

The only less value of Monday is that there is nothing happening after 6PM.
    I would argue that Monday makes up for that with some of the last day raffles that happen on Monday. Most of those you can sign up daily (More if you go back and sign up with other info, info that is still true of course :winky:) and have to be present to win.

But the less people that go on Monday the happier I get because there is less competition for those raffles and lines are shorter for big ticket demos :biggrin:

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    Not to mention the end of show pinny hustle. Everyone wheeling and dealing trying to get the final things and finish off show sets.

edited June 2017
    One full week in and Monday is still up for grabs.

I think it just took people a few years to figure out Monday's relative value and start treating appropriately.

The only less value of Monday is that there is nothing happening after 6PM.
    I would argue that Monday makes up for that with some of the last day raffles that happen on Monday. Most of those you can sign up daily (More if you go back and sign up with other info, info that is still true of course :winky:) and have to be present to win.

But the less people that go on Monday the happier I get because there is less competition for those raffles and lines are shorter for big ticket demos :biggrin:

It's not that fewer people are going on Monday. Different people are going on Monday. Unless they had a larger stock of Monday tickets to start with. They will sell out. This implies that Monday will be busier than usual this year since fewer of them will be stuck in the hands of scalpers.

Monday is shorter, a lot of booths have run out of their swag typically, and people are exhausted. Also, that "shorter" part covers a lot of ground, having no evening part means no concerts, no late night tabletop, and a lot of the fan-favorite panels are never on Monday (An Evening With "whomever", Dub Fight, etc...).

I'm not making a personal judgement on Monday, the fact they it always sells out last and has lasted 2 orders of magnitude longer than any other day proves it's less desired. It's not bad or terrible, it's just not the other days.

YoungFrey on
  • DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    I treat Monday like One-Last-Chance day. If there is a game or booth I want to check out I'll wait in line (which I tend to avoid otherwise). Then I'm free to leave whenever. Monday's tend to be the most relaxing day because there isn't that crush of things to do like the other days. Yes there is "less" and the energy isn't there, but its a few more hours at PAX I get to enjoy and then the deep sadness of having to go back to the real world.

jparp8146qaj.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    pretty obvious at this point that most pax goers have figured out Monday is pointless

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    pretty obvious at this point that most pax goers have figured out Monday is pointless

Monday is the best line day, in my opinion. Barely have to wait for gameplay. I love it. If it doesn't sell out, means even shorter lines. With my health, I'm okay with that.

• cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    CKing wrote: »

Monday is the best line day, in my opinion. Barely have to wait for gameplay. I love it. If it doesn't sell out, means even shorter lines. With my health, I'm okay with that.

We only skipped Monday this year because I have a 100 mile race we weekend before and son starts high school the day after and we thought we probably could both use that day off. But Monday is always the 'easiest' day, the day we end up doing the big line things that we thought would be cool to check out but were not necessarily top of our list to check out. If it doesn't sell out soon, I just might end up grabbing tickets.

CKing wrote: »

I am 100% confident Monday will sell out. While it has been 12 days, which seems like an eternity next to a previous max of 6 hours, East took 2 weeks to sell out of Friday and Sunday took closer to 2 months. While I expect Monday to still be the least busy, I think it'll be less so than prior years. This slow sellout means these badges are going to people who are more likely to use them. So I expect more attendance on Monday than usual.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    I've been reading these posts but I don't think it's a lack of interest. I think it's finally people not buying if they're not going all 4 days.

The downside to that is that a lot of people don't want to go Monday if it's the only day available, especially when you consider how many people travel for this. It's just hard to justify, and I have friends that aren't coming this year for that reason.

And as @YoungFrey mentioned, this year we may actually see a more full Monday because tickets are likely going to people who will be using them.

Also--I wonder if scalpers finally stopped buying Mondays. That would also clear up a bunch. The last couple years I've passed guys standing there with handfuls of Mondays and you just know they didn't sell most of them.

So no, I don't think there's less interest--I know more people who are desperately trying to get tickets each year, and more people who have gone in previous years that aren't able to get the other days so they can't justify the trip with just Monday.

Also Also--a probably decently large percentage of us have been doing this for years. We're getting older and 4 days is amazing but exhausting. I'm not ready to drop a day off, but if what I see from friends and brothers is any indication, I'll be at that point soon (right now I say never!).

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if people have seen the mass of super cheap Monday badges being sold outside and decided it's cheaper for them to not buy a Monday badge from badge sales... Especially if they're not 100% they'll go on Monday. (I wasn't positive if I'd have all the days off work I needed until yesterday. Which, ugh, meant flight prices were $47 more than the day of badge sale...)

Also... Saying "most pax goers have figured out Monday is pointless" is likely extremely far from the truth. We don't know how many tickets remaining makes it go to a low quantity remaining - but I'm certain most PAX goers purchased Monday as it became low availability on the day of sale. (Not to mention the arguments from people who very much favor Mondays. And the myriad reasons why Monday would be less in demand simply due to outside forces like work.)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • HodurHodur RedmondRegistered User regular

Everyone does PAX a bit differently, and I imagine a few might be similar to me, but not much. I get 4 days, and each day I bring a different person along with me. Day 1: the wife. Friday is nice and casual yet also "new" and all the booth staffers are eager to chat with you, and that's a perfect match for the wife style of things. Sat is hardcore day - aka the brother in-law hardcore gamer. Sun is daughter #1 (the elder) and Monday is daughter #2 (the youngster). IMO Monday is the BEST day to bring a little kid (she's 10). Smaller crowds, a lot less of the hardcore (scary) cos-players, and booth staffers are pretty tired, but they'll still bring up the energy level for a 10 year old with stars in their eyes. What I'm trying to say is the motto that's been true since day 1 of year 1 of PAX: Everyone does it THEIR way. I love my way.

• BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Deimir wrote: »
    This year was the first time since '07 that I didn't buy badges, since I'm attending as a booth worker. Naturally, I also really wanted that dice set. So yesterday I asked a friend to grab me one when he bought his badges, and today I was frantically texting him when registration went up to make sure he got in the queue.

Now to wait for dice to arrive.

I wonder how long the items will take to ship out.

I was curious if I should be on the lookout so I emailed. They said they'll be shipped around the same time as badges (2-3 weeks beforehand). Merch and badges will be shipped separately (will probably arrive separately).

BLaZuRE on
    PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • blindnoirblindnoir Registered User regular
    My first year going to PAX West. Going all 4 days.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    blindnoir wrote: »
    My first year going to PAX West. Going all 4 days.

Me too! We shall see how it compares to the hype

• blindnoirblindnoir Registered User regular
    I went to the first two PAX Souths, everyone said this is better.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    South is my favorite, but West is great too.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I've been to East and West (as my sig shows) a few times each.

Honestly? I think I prefer West.

Don't get me wrong. I adore East. It has WAY better Tabletop, and it's wonderfully close to me...but the climate in West is better and I find it has more of a laid-back vibe the two times I've been

I also like the extra day a lot, it makes us more able to just relax and enjoy ourselves- we're less pressed in getting everything done NOW.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    They all have their perks

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    blindnoir wrote: »
    I went to the first two PAX Souths, everyone said this is better.

I did the same thing for South in its first year. South is fantastic because I feel that it's way more intimate and a lot more indie focused. Plus San Antonio is a wonderful area.

West is bigger but sometimes can be overwhelming. Lots of fun but I feel it definitely requires more planning of your day than South because South feels way more relaxed to me.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    They all have their perks

Indeed, treat them each differently and don't expect any one to be better then the others. There are tons of variables that will make your experience different at each PAX. Comparing them is kinda silly, and trying to avoid that is one of the reasons we don't release attendee numbers anymore.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    They're all good PAXs Brent.

• zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Everyone has their own PAX preferences and everyone is right. PAX is a lot of different things that cater to a lot of different people. That's what I love the most about it. Intersecting with all of these related categories of my interests is fascinating to me, and each show brings a different set of things for me to indulge in. The people that say one PAX is "best" have every right to feel that way, and I'm sure they understand that others have their own favorites as well!

I can't pick a favorite show as a category, but specifically my favorite show ever was South 15. It felt like I was a part of something new, and the vibe of the whole show was so positive and casual.

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• mellowthellomellowthello Registered User new member
    Any idea if there's going to be a second sale after ticket reclaims this year (not counting the random tickets that went up shortly after the initial batch)? We missed Saturday and I'm really hoping not to have to look for them second hand.

Any idea if there's going to be a second sale after ticket reclaims this year (not counting the random tickets that went up shortly after the initial batch)? We missed Saturday and I'm really hoping not to have to look for them second hand.
    As far as I know, tickets that have been revoked due to breaking the PAX policies will be made available for sale again. Whether this happens piecemeal similarly to near when the badges were released or announced via twitter like some other years is not something that we will likely publicly know except for direct evidence when it happens.

• krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular

Stalk @Official_PAX @ Replies on twitter. When you start to see people complaining about their orders getting cancelled, be ready.

One full week in and Monday is still up for grabs. Unprecedented for West, but the norm for East. Here's my updated sellout plot, with East's for comparison.
    4tkz72hpqv5v.png
    kamcq3ol2esl.png

Despite East selling out Saturday in just a few hours, Friday & Sunday have almost always taken over a week. I think it just took people a few years to figure out Monday's relative value and start treating appropriately.

Update on badge sales: one month has elapsed with Monday still available. This puts it between East Friday (2.3 weeks) and East Sunday (7.3 weeks). No day of West has taken this long to sell out since Sunday 2011 (6.5 weeks).
    grtyt9toykfe.png

• krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    Looking at twitter and reddit, it looks like emails to people who broke the ticket limits went out yesterday. Reclaimed badges can go on sale at any moment now. If you still need badges, be ready.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    For those who are interested, Enforcer Applications went live today.
    http://west.paxsite.com/enforcers

Not sure where to post this, so I thought I share in this thread.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    My Bobcats have shipped!!!!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • H4W7DuhmanH4W7Duhman Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Will returned/scalped badges still be available even though badges have been shipped? Now I'm trying to figure out how to delete this post, I'm sorry for putting this here. I honestly thought I was typing a comment for some reason. ;_;

H4W7Duhman on
    H4W7Duhman wrote: »
    Will returned/scalped badges still be available even though badges have been shipped?
    They could be. If they are, they would likely be held at will call.

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Reclaimed badges on sale now! Also, ShowClix says my badges have shipped. Yay!

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • BunktaviousBunktavious Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    And its Mondays only, with no queue...?

I literally clicked the link 10 seconds after the tweet, and its Monday only?

Bunktavious on
  • TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    And its Mondays only, with no queue...?

I saw Fridays for about 10 seconds, and then they were gone, never saw Sat or Sun...

• BunktaviousBunktavious Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    This is ridiculous. They are randomly popping up as I refresh and then not being there when you hit submit. Awesome.

Results: I eventually got 1 Friday and 1 Saturday, but it was only possible to get them 1 at a time, as both never popped up at the same time. As a result, had to put them as will call or would have paid $27 shipping for each day separately. Oh well, at least I have tickets :)

Bunktavious on
    Click through, they don't show on the PA page necessarily.

• jdwjdw Registered User regular
    This is ridiculous. They are randomly popping up as I refresh and then not being there when you hit submit. Awesome.

Results: I eventually got 1 Friday and 1 Saturday, but it was only possible to get them 1 at a time, as both never popped up at the same time. As a result, had to put them as will call or would have paid $27 shipping for each day separately. Oh well, at least I have tickets :)

Will-call was an option for non-international? I didn't even notice.

TylKYeQ.png