As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabula Rasa

DEL 707DEL 707 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
I've heard from a few people that Tabula Rasa beta invites are being sent out, anybody received 1 or able to confirm the rumors?

I've been dying for a good Sci-fi mmorpg since Anarchy Online, I'm sick to death of killing fucking orcs and dragons with pointy sticks, where's my plasma rifle!?

poster2_sm.jpg

DEL 707 on

• Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If it has started I'm sure they are under NDA and not allowed to say if they are in the beta or not.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was sent an e-mail a few weeks back saying beta would start up soon.

I know next to nothing about this MMO but the simple fact it is sci-fi has me interested enough to try it out. Man, if it is even half good and NCSoft started a MMO Pass like Sony does I'd buy it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not especially excited about the prospect of getting into another MMO, but as you guys have pointed out, the sci-fi twist is enough to get my attention. And with Ultima Online introducing me to how fun MMOs could be, Richard Garriott still has a special place in my gaming heart.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mmmmmm Sci-Fi, I am so sick of Fantasy MMO's. I hate to say it but I won't even pony up time to MMO's unless they get out of the damn fantasy niche, unless perhaps it's Warhammer, and that's mainly because the PvP will hopefully be phenomenal!

Oh, and I signed up for this. Here's hoping.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    NCSoft does seem to be on a huge roll at the moment.

Plus, Sci-Fi = Win as far as MMO is concerned. As mentioned Im sick to FUCKING death of stabbing orcs with halberds.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Looks like the beta app is still open. I need a game where I can blast someone with lazorz.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Auto Assault was god awful but NCSoft is a publisher, not a developer, so I guess I can't fault them that much. At least they were willing to try and bing an MMO that wasn't fantasy to market.

Accualt on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hopefully it's not breaking the NDA to say I got a beta invite this morning. So I can confirm they are being sent out, but that is all I'm going to say.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is this game finally out of the Vaporware phase? I remember reading about this game and drooling way back in the day. Then they had a pretty long media blackout. Since then they have completly changed the look/features/story/everything since they first announced this game.

I too am excited about something besides swords and sorcery.

Drool on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's supposed to be a mixture of FPS and RPG, so that on its own has me a little interested - and I've heard it doesn't take that long to get good at the FPS portion of it, so people that don't typically play them might have a decent learning curve.

Of course, the last time I heard anything about it was at E3 last year, and it's been planned for a little over two years now.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Signed up for the beta a few weeks back.

Echo on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    NCSoft has invited me to every beta they've had since Lineage II.

Why is this different. :(

Monoxide on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why would you say NCSoft is on a roll? Isn't their last major game AutoAssault?

I wish they would get something like the station pass though. Would love coh/cov lumped in with tabula rasa

Smudge on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Been waiting for this one myself. Signed up for the beta awhile back, so heres to hoping.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Smudge wrote: »

I wish they would get something like the station pass though. Would love coh/cov lumped in with tabula rasa

Guild Wars 2 and Lineage 3 are in the pipeline right? Maybe not on a roll but soon to be on one.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Smudge wrote: »

Guild Wars 2 and Lineage 3 are in the pipeline right? Maybe not on a roll but soon to be on one.

Between the Lineage games (not big here but huge in Asia), CoH & CoX, and Guild Wars, NCSoft's been having a lot of hits. AA is their only failure that comes to mind, meanwhile look at some other MMO producers like SoE (they'll never fix their SWG rep) and EA (who kills every MMO they get), and they're doing pretty damn good. Blizzard's probably the only one doing better, and they've just got the one MMO. >.>

Scooter on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been waiting on this for a whiile, but I keep getting shut out everytime they do a beta-run. I'm very interested in the concept, but to be honest, NCSoft hasn't left a great impression on me. Auto Assault and City of Heroes weren't great (CoH wasn't bad, just nothing too exciting), and Guild Wars was the biggest tease of a game in history. I've lost track of all the times I've tried to get back into it, only to give up a few days later because I couldn't take it, whatever it was about that game.

I hope TR is their breakthrough, cause it looks cool enough.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm hoping this is something a bit different than the regular old MMORPG. I hope when they say "action" in the RPG it isn't just going click-crazy on a mob.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It wouldnt surprise me if NCSofts earnings were close if not surpassing Blizzard.

Blizzard has one huge hit, NCSoft has an assload of semi huge hits all over the place.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Say what you will about Garriot, but the man has a fantastic house.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ignoring the Asian market for the moment, even the sum of all of NCsoft's subscribers doesn't scratch at WoW. All their MMOs have a market margin of a couple of %, whilst WoW has over half of it.

Glal on
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    I've been waiting on this for a whiile, but I keep getting shut out everytime they do a beta-run. I'm very interested in the concept, but to be honest, NCSoft hasn't left a great impression on me. Auto Assault and City of Heroes weren't great (CoH wasn't bad, just nothing too exciting), and Guild Wars was the biggest tease of a game in history. I've lost track of all the times I've tried to get back into it, only to give up a few days later because I couldn't take it, whatever it was about that game.

Oh lol. Maybe it started out that way... but man.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cyrixd wrote: »

I might be seeing it through rose tinted glasses 'cause it was my first MMO, but I liked CoH. Paragon City, superpowers, instanced dungeons, everything was a lot of fun if nothing else. Where the game failed me is the amount of time needed to level up. CoV had some exciting stuff as well.

I learned of TR about a year ago, seeing some videos and screenshots, and read some of Richard Garrison's ideas for the game, and I was pretty hooks. More recent stuff is only getting better. I've gotten WinXP since signing up for beta - I'm worried I'll get screwed out of beta cuz at the time I had Win2k.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If you ignore the Asian market, nothing in the MMO field scratches at WoW. Which kinda sucks for all the other MMOs, because they can be successful with 100k players yet they'll look like failures if they don't hit 7 digits these days.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Ignoring the Asian market for the moment, even the sum of all of NCsoft's subscribers doesn't scratch at WoW. All their MMOs have a market margin of a couple of %, whilst WoW has over half of it.

Most of them have hit numbers well over anything EverQuest did tho. The real issue is the simple fact that WoW sort of raised the bar, by like alot... even if wow is really nothing more then EQ on easy mode.

NOR on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Why are we suddenly ignoring the asian market?

Seems a little selective doesnt it?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The only reason I'm interested in this is because of Lord British.

He has never let me down before!

rayofash on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

Ultima VIII.

Couscous on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »

Ultima VIII.

Heh, I re-read my post and expected someone to say that.

If you install the fan made patches, Ultima 8 is very playable, and even fun. I enjoyed it.

Edit: Why was I thinking of 9 when that's clearly an 8?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well, they do do some weird stuff with gaming cafes that can apparently inflate subscription numbers. Other than that I guess we're ignoring them because either we don't have a lot of Asians here, or because most Asian MMOs just suck, and Asians like sucky MMOs.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well, for one, the chart I saw may have only been the Western market. For another, the Asian market brings in less revenue per subscriber, so numbers aren't as impressive.

NOR: EQ had a substancially larger market share than any of the NCSoft titles. The pie is bigger now.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well, for one, the chart I saw may have only been the Western market. For another, the Asian market brings in less revenue per subscriber, so numbers aren't as impressive.

NOR: EQ had a substancially larger market share than any of the NCSoft titles. The pie is bigger now.

Yes market share.

Did you know MMOs now are more profitable with smaller subscription numbers then EQ had? Never mind that wow is just really boring.

NOR on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If they are making a decent profit, why does them not getting a larger portion of the pie matter? Disgaea didn't sale a lot compared to FFX, that doesn't mean Disgaea was a failure.

Couscous on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

If they are making a decent profit, why does them not getting a larger portion of the pie matter? Disgaea didn't sale a lot compared to FFX, that doesn't mean Disgaea was a failure.

Any profit is better then no profit.

Though the Japanese/Asian mmo market is very different from here because you have to compete with all the free mmo system that is so prevalent over there. It's one of the big reasons more things don't come out over there.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Actually I was talking about (historical/relative) popularity there, not profit margins. But yeah, not what NOR was talking about.

Glal on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So does anybody know how the combat works in this title exactly? The website isn't helpful, unless I missed something.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    So does anybody know how the combat works in this title exactly? The website isn't helpful, unless I missed something.

It uses the Wiimote. *waggle, waggle*

Accualt on
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I set up an account because apparently all my old accounts no longer work, and the password is immediately wrong. And "there is a problem resetting your password." Fuck you PlayNC.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    TDL wrote: »
    I set up an account because apparently all my old accounts no longer work, and the password is immediately wrong. And "there is a problem resetting your password." Fuck you PlayNC.

Account system could be down. It does that from time to time. And they changed their password system to make it more secure a while ago so you may need to make a new password anyway.

NOR on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Well, they do do some weird stuff with gaming cafes that can apparently inflate subscription numbers. Other than that I guess we're ignoring them because either we don't have a lot of Asians here, or because most Asian MMOs just suck, and Asians like sucky MMOs.

it's not that strange.
    WoW account costs about $20 per 30 day in korea.
    instead of monthly fees they go by days.. you can buy a 7 day pass, 30 day pass or a 90 day pass.
    you can also buy by the hours. a 5 hour pass will cost you about $5.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
This discussion has been closed.