As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Obamacare repeal]: McConnell fails to pass disastrous bill. Country sighs in relief.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The number of lies packed into that speech overwhelmed me like 20% of the way through.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    cursedking wrote: »
    At the end of the day shouldn't the GOP senators be happy that this happened this way? They all get to look like they voted for it and it's not their fault even though they admitted it was terrible. Isn't this a legitimately good outcome for them?

Even if it is, they have to pretend this is a tragedy.

Enjoy the show.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Must suck to have lived 75 years and ultimately accomplish nothing.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The number of lies packed into that speech overwhelmed me like 20% of the way through.

That's every McConnell speech.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    At the end of year day shouldn't the GOP senators be happy that this happened this way? They all get to look like they voted for it and it's not their fault even though they admitted it was terrible. Isn't this a legitimately good outcome for them?
    Pretty much. The House gets to blame the Senate, the Senate gets to compartmentalize the blame into very few people, and the Republican base gets to not lose their healthcare and die (some percentage of them might even know to appreciate that).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

He got his Supreme Court Justice.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    At the end of the day shouldn't the GOP senators be happy that this happened this way? They all get to look like they voted for it and it's not their fault even though they admitted it was terrible. Isn't this a legitimately good outcome for them?

Heller just strung a huge weight around his neck with that yes vote. He's got a close race next year. What an idiot.

It was a close race anyway.

tbh I think he valued his wingnut welfare more than any desire to actually represent his state.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    With how unpopular the bill is even in the republican base, i'm not so sure. Frankly I'm not sure what they were hoping to get from this bill, aside from the knowledge that they fucked over a lot of people. This bill had no audience besides republicans in congress.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So is the toddler in chief awake do we think? Or still napping.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Yeah, Gorsuch more than anything else is what made McConnell's speech piss me off.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The inevitable Trump meltdown will be the sweetest ambrosia

I swear I've been getting two White House Obamacare emails a day these last two weeks, possibly three yesterday. Can't wait to see my inbox tomorrow. Will it be four? Zero?

• Options

Not after we rub some Republi-Gone all over Gorsuch.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    "We are all, of course, terribly relieved, ah, disappointed..."

and then various attempts to pin it all on McConnell, it was his amendment that was the final version that failed, you know.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

There was that earlier reporter tweet about how the White House was trying to get a hold of Pence and get him off the Senate floor, which he eventually did leave, so my guess would be that he was probably awake.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    But yeah that's true :/ oh well at least this is the latest taste in his mouth

• Options

Excuse me, he has definitely accomplished breaking out government and destroying our political norms, I'll have you know!

Credit where credit is due

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Depends on whether or not he's up for his midnight pee/poop. Toilet Twitter is best Twitter.

• Options

Excuse me, he has definitely accomplished breaking out government and destroying our political norms, I'll have you know!

Credit where credit is due

Fair enough, I forgot that he suceeded in some dickery

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Supposedly he called Pence in the middle of this but Pence wouldn't take his call.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Anyway, credit:

Small credit to McCain, who came through on this one vote.
    Significant credit to Collins and Murkowski, who bucked their party as the only two members who seemed actually interested in how it would affect their constituents.
    Also significant credit to Schumer as the minority leader, the right wing (King, McCaskill, Tester, Heitkamp, Manchin) of the Democratic Party for giving McConnell bipartisan cover for even a second, and the left wing of the Democratic Party (and Sanders) for being team players and defending a bill that is better than the old status quo but not at all like what they really want.
    Most credit to the activists who made two and three possible.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

I'm guessing if he goes for it at all it will be early morning, like six or seven. But he might get reined in

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I give 20% odds that Trump wakes up, tweets congrats for passing healthcare bill, then turns on Fox & Friends and I can hear his scream of rage here in Texas.

• Options

Not after we rub some Republi-Gone all over Gorsuch.

Not happening. But this is not the scotus thread.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Aegis wrote: »

There was that earlier reporter tweet about how the White House was trying to get a hold of Pence and get him off the Senate floor, which he eventually did leave, so my guess would be that he was probably awake.

I think it'll be a while before we get any reaction that's intelligible, let alone fit to print. I imagine that he's in full Downfall-Hitler / Shrieking White-Hot Sphere of Rage mode at the moment.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Heller just strung a huge weight around his neck with that yes vote. He's got a close race next year. What an idiot.

Trump and Heller's donors wouldn't accept a 'no'. Nevada voters probably won't accept a 'yes'. Tough spot.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Supposedly he called Pence in the middle of this but Pence wouldn't take his call.

That's kind of amazing.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I'd have to imagine Trump's been throwing things and screaming at whichever poor aide/housecleaner's around to bother tweeting just yet.

But yeah, he's gonna call Collins, Murkowski, and McCain traitors.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Nate Silver is a snarky numbers dude.

---
    So, where does this bill and/or reconciliation for this year go from here? That was just an amendment, but I thought it was the FINAL one because it was McConnel's thing, which just leaves the ACHA as it is. Are they stuck with voting on that then, or can they use reconciliation for another bill, or do they just have to try to pass some healthcare thing the normal way?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Good he's his own worst enemy. Let him make this worse.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Didn't the Democrats specifically not introduce an endless littany of amendments?

I love when brings up the 'clever' single payer gambit, but only then seems to remember no one actually bit.

• Options
    I love how they kept referring to the ACA as "Obamacare" as a way to try and denigrate the ACA and yet it's just going to stick around for a bit longer and hopefully burn McConnell and Trump.

• Options
    What are the chances of the following appearing in tomorrows POTUS tweets:

Gendered insults
    The word hero in quotes
    The word traitor
    A poop emoji

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    We need to remember to give the Democrats in the Senate a ton of credit as well. People may shit on many of them for being centrist sellouts or whatever, but on this night (really throughout this entire process) they stood steadfast and didn't budge an inch.

Also that Maggie Hassan won by like 1k votes, so every vote matters. And also that the people of DC outnumber several states, but have zero senate representation, if they had two senators it wouldn't have come to this farce.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Gendered insults
    The word hero in quotes
    The word traitor
    A poop emoji

Not taking that bet, cause this is now considered "presidental behavior."

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular

Gendered insults
    The word hero in quotes
    The word traitor
    A poop emoji

Is Trump capable of processing sarcasm?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

That's kind of amazing.

I'm not so sure that's right. The report was that "the White House" called, which easily could have been Tom Price or Priebus. It sounded like Pence may have missed the call because he was trying to strongarm McCain, not that he intentionally avoided it.

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    Anyway, credit:

Small credit to McCain, who came through on this one vote.
    Significant credit to Collins and Murkowski, who bucked their party as the only two members who seemed actually interested in how it would affect their constituents.
    Also significant credit to Schumer as the minority leader, the right wing (King, McCaskill, Tester, Heitkamp, Manchin) of the Democratic Party for giving McConnell bipartisan cover for even a second, and the left wing of the Democratic Party for being team players and defending a bill that is better than the old status quo but not at all like what they really want.
    Most credit to the activists who made two and three possible.

I'll give more credit to McCain than you will, because if he intended it this is one hell of a middle finger to give to McConnell: a last minute surprise defeat of his bullshit machinations. If McConnell didn't see it coming then that is worth some props.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Either way his diaper is going to be so full tomorrow morning. And we'll get to hear about it on Twitter. He usually starts tweeting in about, oh, 5 or 6 hours from now.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The schadenfreude listening to this McConnell hissy fit is incredibly satisfying.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Gendered insults
    The word hero in quotes
    The word traitor
    A poop emoji

#2 and #3: 100%
    #1: 65%
    #4: 35%

This discussion has been closed.