As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Obamacare repeal]: McConnell fails to pass disastrous bill. Country sighs in relief.

MillMill Registered User regular
edited July 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
For those that might just be tuning in or want a refresher. The Senate has now reveal their version of AHCA, which is being called BCRA (Better Care Reconciliation Act). Contrary to what the media and the GOP say, this neither is a healthcare act. Both bills are budget bills geared towards giving the rich a 2% tax cut, but gutting ACA aka Obamacare and medicaid. They want to pass it this week.

It's hard to say if this bill will pass. The republicans really want to give their entitled donor class a tax cut and they are pretty clear they show quite a bit of contempt for anyone that isn't wealthy. The problem for them is that this will royally fuck over the majority of their constituents, you can't really win any office in the US on just the votes of the rich after all. There is also the issue of some of both bills not being able to get past the parliamentarian, which could make them ineligible for reconciliation and open to Democratic filibuster. The other sticking point is that AHCA barely passed the House on the bullshit concept that the Senate would make it less awful, BCRA seems to have managed to be worse. The other major sticking point is that the GOP can't afford to losing more than 2 senators and more than 2 have expressed that they might not vote for this pile of shit. For one group, the bill just isn't cruel enough and they are confident that they will not be punished for screwing over their voters. For another group, they are pretty sure that their voters will punish them for voting for this and they have an upcoming election soon where a yes vote for BCRA will be the end of their political career. Finally, several major players have come out against this bill and one of the big one's is AARP.

As I've said in the last thread. If you have a republican senator and really hate this thing. Your best option is to contact them, even if they said they are for the bill because the vote hasn't happened and they might be persuaded to change their mind.

Couple ground rules for this thread.
-This is not the lol republicans and Trump thread. Keep the discussion about the repeal and replace efforts.
-This is not the let's re-litigate ACA/Obamacare thread, the Supreme Court upheld it and it will remain law until either it's repealed or replaced.
-The Usually stay on topic.

So It Goes on

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    For those that might just be tuning in or want a refresher. The Senate has now passed their version of AHCA, which is being called BCRA (Better Care Reconciliation Act). Contrary to what the media and the GOP say, this neither is a healthcare act. Both bills are budget bills geared towards giving the rich a 2% tax cut, but gutting ACA aka Obamacare and medicaid.

It's hard to say if this bill will pass. The republicans really want to give their entitled donor class a tax cut and they are pretty clear they show quite a bit of contempt for anyone that isn't wealthy. The problem for them is that this will royally fuck over the majority of their constituents, you can't really win any office in the US on just the votes of the rich after all. There is also the issue of some of both bills not being able to get past the parliamentarian, which could make them ineligible for reconciliation and open to Democratic filibuster. The other sticking point is that AHCA barely passed the House on the bullshit concept that the Senate would make it less awful, BCRA seems to have managed to be worse. The other major sticking point is that the GOP can't afford to losing more than 2 senators and more than 2 have expressed that they might not vote for this pile of shit. For one group, the bill just isn't cruel enough and they are confident that they will not be punished for screwing over their voters. For another group, they are pretty sure that their voters will punish them for voting for this and they have an upcoming election soon where a yes vote for BCRA will be the end of their political career. Finally, several major players have come out against this bill and one of the big one's is AARP.

As I've said in the last thread. If you have a republican senator and really hate this thing. Your best option is to contact them, even if they said they are for the bill because the vote hasn't happened and they might be persuaded to change their mind.

Couple ground rules for this thread.
    -This is not the lol republicans and Trump thread. Keep the discussion about the repeal and replace efforts.
    -This is not the let's re-litigate ACA/Obamacare thread, the Supreme Court upheld it and it will remain law until either it's repealed or replaced.
    -The Usually stay on topic.
    The Senate has now passed their version of AHCA
    he vote hasn't happened
    ?

You mean revealed for the first part I assume?

• Options
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So all those spokespeople going out and making bake faced lies.... I assume the cable news commentators didn't call them on it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    So all those spokespeople going out and making bake faced lies.... I assume the cable news commentators didn't call them on it?

Of course not; that would be rude and confrontational, and they probably wouldn't be able to book future shows with that person or those like him or her.

• Options
    Since I'm not being hit by the New York Times pay wall. Here's a fun little article on how much trouble the GOP is having getting their caucus around this turd.
    But the forces arrayed against the Republican push to dismantle President Barack Obama’s signature domestic achievement are formidable. Much of the nation’s $3 trillion health care industry opposes the bill. And Mr. McConnell has done little to woo the health care stakeholders who were assiduously courted by Mr. Obama from his first months in office as he fought for his legislation.

Would be nice if they would really start running ads against this shit.

Here are another three organization we can put in the anti-BCRA column.
    And the Democratic wall of opposition is backed by less partisan voices. Senators are being flooded with appeals like this from the advocacy arm of the American Cancer Society: “Cancer is scary enough. Don’t take away our coverage.”

The American Childhood Cancer Organization, a charitable group formed by parents, is mobilizing a small army of grass-roots lobbyists with the message that the Senate Republican bill, with its deep cuts in Medicaid, “will threaten the lives of children battling cancer.”

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said the Senate bill was “unacceptable as written” and would “wreak havoc on low-income families.” At the same time, the bishops said they liked two sections of the bill that seek to “prohibit the use of taxpayer funds to pay for abortion or plans that cover it.”

I'd also argue that the republican party doesn't have the option to claim radical leftist group with one of these groups. Not unless they want to lose all of their credibility with independent and moderate republican voters, support that really can't afford to lose long term or short term.
    But that criticism comes amid a striking shift in public opinion. Fifty-one percent of Americans now have favorable views of the Affordable Care Act, according to a monthly tracking poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation. “That’s the first time in our 79 tracking polls over seven years that this share has topped 50 percent,’’ said Craig Palosky, a spokesman for the foundation.

Not sure how much of that is a result of ACA kicking and how much of it is a result of the Republican alternative being fucking awful.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Of course not; that would be rude and confrontational, and they probably wouldn't be able to book future shows with that person or those like him or her.

Speaking of, the GOP go to at the moment appears to be trying to cast any opposition to the bill as "rude". Like Sanders describes that yes, this will kill people are they fake being upset at him.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Sometimes you don't realize something is actually pretty good until you are faced with losing it. I will never claim the ACA is perfect, but it is better than what came before it and is absolutely better than what the Republicans are trying to replace it with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I don't know if it's malice or apathy driving the rollback of ACA protections, but I do know Republicans love giving rich people some more money. Poor people dying is either something they want to happen or don't give two shits about as long as the 1%'s bank accounts get just a bit fatter, and it's monstrous either way. Just another layer of diarrhea on this shitcake of a bill.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Speaking of, the GOP go to at the moment appears to be trying to cast any opposition to the bill as "rude". Like Sanders describes that yes, this will kill people are they fake being upset at him.

Ah, of course. I mean, we're not talking about a party full of assholes, that had a member loudly call the president a liar, during a live state of the union address or anything.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    BRCA is a cancer gene

Oh wait I'm dyslexic

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sorry, that's a pre-existing condition and will be used to deny you coverage for the remainder of your life.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    What's the consensus on the vote coming up this week? I haven't heard any news all weekend about yays/nays.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Y'all ready for some administration hot take?

NBC news is a big news group.

This is ironic considering Conway barely has a job herself.
    Edit - She doesn't understand that many people on it can't fend for themselves.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Doesn't care, either.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Cornyn's suggesting the actual deadline (he used "drop-dead line," which is... on the nose) is August 1st. Their whip count must suck.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

She understands entirely.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Wwwwwwowwwwwww.

(alt: Fuck you, lady.)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Kelly is smart, she is just completely amoral.

• Options
    I totally don't belive the chart in there, that says that 97% of large companies offer health insurance to their workers. Unless it means that they offer it to some of their workers. And conveniently schedule an even larger number of them not getting enough hours to qualify for it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I totally don't belive the chart in there, that says that 97% of large companies offer health insurance to their workers. Unless it means that they offer it to some of their workers. And conveniently schedule an even larger number of them not getting enough hours to qualify for it

That and it makes no mention of the contribution they have to make. It really doesn't count if you need to pay 90% of your paycheck to them for health insurance.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

A small business is defined as having 499 or fewer FTE employees. A lot of companies that you would think of as large are also able to circumvent that designation by having subsidiaries or franchises that are legally distinct entities. So McDonald's has health insurance available to it's employees. Defined as the corporate folks in Oak Brook. McDonald's #4385 on Main Street? That isn't a large company, so it wouldn't be relevant to find out if they offer health benefits (they don't).

moniker on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I don't know about that. She's taken two of the worst clients in recent electoral memory

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

I don't know about that. She's taken two of the worst clients in recent electoral memory

Yeah, this is the same sort of "stupid" versus "stupid-like-a-fox" attribution error people spent a long time making with Trump: The fact that her strategy works (for a given value of works) does not mean that she is smart.

"Expert analysis shows that our plan will totally fuck up medicaid and kick tens of millions of people off their insurance. What if I just went on TV and said that experts are dumb and our plan is great and poor people are lazy and the media is liars?" is a stupid person's plan, not a smart one. She's not thinking ten steps ahead and deliberately exploiting the weaknesses of the public psyche, she's engaging in the most basic kind of "Nu-uh! Nu-uh! Nu-uh times infinity!" playground rebuttal. The fact that it works on a portion of the public anyway is an accident of external factors.

The more meaningful numbers are down at the bottom - 57% of all employers offer coverage, and ones that offer coverage only offer it to 79% of their employees on average, and only 79% of that 79% of that 57% actually choose to take the coverage (suggesting that at least 20% of coverage offers are for shitty coverage, presumably). Doing the math, that means only about 45% of jobs include offers of employee-based coverage, and only about 35% of employees are actually covered that way.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Abbalah wrote: »

Yeah, this is the same sort of "stupid" versus "stupid-like-a-fox" attribution error people spent a long time making with Trump: The fact that her strategy works (for a given value of works) does not mean that she is smart.

"Expert analysis shows that our plan will totally fuck up medicaid and kick tens of millions of people off their insurance. What if I just went on TV and said that experts are dumb and our plan is great and poor people are lazy and the media is liars?" is a stupid person's plan, not a smart one. She's not thinking ten steps ahead and deliberately exploiting the weaknesses of the public psyche, she's engaging in the most basic kind of "Nu-uh! Nu-uh! Nu-uh times infinity!" playground rebuttal. The fact that it works on a portion of the public anyway is an accident of External factors.

She might not be thinking 10 steps ahead, but someone was, since the ground work for that narrative has been established thorough fox and their other propaganda arm friends for years now. Maybe decades

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The politics of envy work on Medicaid because health insurance really is an unaffordable enviable luxury for the working classes. They see the working poor unable to afford insurance and the destitute and jobless eligible for Medicaid and they get angry - it feels like they would be "given stuff" if they quit their grinding minimum wage jobs. But Republicans target this righteous anger at hatred of the destitute rather than the politicians who deny Medicaid to the working poor.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Reporting this morning is that McConnell is going to make the Medicaid growth formula more generous in order to try to capture the votes of the moderates.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular

My girlfriend is a writer for MTV, a rather large organization owned by Viacom, another large organization. Almost none of her co-workers, and almost none of the people she interacts with, are offered health insurance. Why? Because they are all classified as "freelancers" who just so happen to work in the MTV office. They are technically not allowed to attend company meetings (they do), and they are technically signed onto a yearly contract, with a day rate, no over time, no medical benefits.

So, not only do companies do things to remain below the 499 employee cut off, they can also do shady things like just straight call full time positions freelancer positions, and then are allowed to pay / do whatever they want with that position. The gf actually made more money from a start up she worked at before MTV if you do the math on salaries including health insurance, but before explaining the whole "Yes, you are being hired to work at MTV, by MTV, and will be working at MTV, but no, you are not technically going to be an official employee of MTV due health or retirement benefits" deal, it seemed like it would have been a pay upgrade for her.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Reporting this morning is that McConnell is going to make the Medicaid growth formula more generous in order to try to capture the votes of the moderates.

Well, the group of 4 aren't going to like that.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Would this need to be resubmitted to the CBO for a new score? Would this help delay a vote so more peeps realize how terrible this bill is?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Those people in nursing homes should stop being such moochers

• Options
    edited June 2017
    The more meaningful numbers are down at the bottom - 57% of all employers offer coverage, and ones that offer coverage only offer it to 79% of their employees on average, and only 79% of that 79% of that 57% actually choose to take the coverage (suggesting that at least 20% of coverage offers are for shitty coverage, presumably). Doing the math, that means only about 45% of jobs include offers of employee-based coverage, and only about 35% of employees are actually covered that way.
    Bold isn't really true. For the first, my wife and I are both offered health insurance at our jobs, but a family plan at my job costs less than each of us getting individual plans (despite her making more and working at a hospital). For the second, the 57% of employers who offer coverage are almost certainly larger on average than the 43% who don't. The number is actually 66% of jobs, and 72% of full time jobs as of 2014

edit
    Actually it looks like as ACA kicked in more, by 2016 it was in the 80s

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    Waaagh!Waaagh! Registered User regular

"Expert analysis shows that our plan will totally fuck up medicaid and kick tens of millions of people off their insurance. What if I just went on TV and said that experts are dumb and our plan is great and poor people are lazy and the media is liars?" is a stupid person's plan, not a smart one. She's not thinking ten steps ahead and deliberately exploiting the weaknesses of the public psyche, she's engaging in the most basic kind of "Nu-uh! Nu-uh! Nu-uh times infinity!" playground rebuttal. The fact that it works on a portion of the public anyway is an accident of External factors.
    She might not be thinking 10 steps ahead, but someone was, since the ground work for that narrative has been established thorough fox and their other propaganda arm friends for years now. Maybe decades
    The Culture War really seems to be the most effective, long-lasting and solvent policy implemented into american state of affairs and politics.

• Options
    The group planning on attacking Heller is "giving him a second chance." Who enjoys shitty theater?

• Options
    The group planning on attacking Heller is "giving him a second chance." Who enjoys shitty theater?

Either way it seems to lock him in. If he flips now then he'll get hit over flip flopping when you play their ad (which hurts him with Trumpies) and show that he caved to this pressure (hurts him with non-ideological voters who hate flip flopping) and voted to strip people of healthcare (hurts with the left).

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Waaagh! wrote: »

The Culture War really seems to be the most effective, long-lasting and solvent policy implemented into american state of affairs and politics.

Not on topic. Conway's career decisions aren't either.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Either way it seems to lock him in. If he flips now then he'll get hit over flip flopping when you play their ad (which hurts him with Trumpies) and show that he caved to this pressure (hurts him with non-ideological voters who hate flip flopping) and voted to strip people of healthcare (hurts with the left).

Heller's probably fucked (e.g., losing his job in November 2018) no matter what happens at this point, so you can give him points for at least doing the right thing while doing so.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Heller's probably fucked (e.g., losing his job in November 2018) no matter what happens at this point, so you can give him points for at least doing the right thing while doing so.

I'll give him points when he actually votes no.

It's far to likely he's just doing the McCain thing where he loudly proclaims how much he hates thing and it's against everything he stands for and then votes for it.

• Options
    Cornyn is walking back the August 1 deadline and is now saying there will definitely be a vote this week.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »

I'll give him points when he actually votes no.

It's far to likely he's just doing the McCain thing where he loudly proclaims how much he hates thing and it's against everything he stands for and then votes for it.

You don't hold a press-conference with an ardently pro-Medicaid governor talking about voting no and then vote yes. Flip-flopping's not a good look.

This isn't like John McCain's grumbling about "being very concerned" and then voting yes anyway. Heller went out on a limb here.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Got my statement written up and am on hold with Sen. Murkowski's office now. After that Sen. Sullivan.

Then I get to go pee into a cup to check for microscopic blood in my urine. Yay!

EDIT: Got through to Murkowski after about 15 minutes. Sounds like they're slammed and the official word was "No official stance, but we have some serious concerns"

Instantly got through on Sullivan's line, so I guess nobody is bothering to speak to him. No official stance either "We're still combing through the bill" (Well gee, maybe you need more time to figure out what's in it!)

Let this be a lesson; call your Senators even IF they deep, deep red. Writing them off already definitely won't change anything.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.