As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Someday I should go try to play New Vegas again and finish it. I thought Fallout 1 and 2 were good back in the day and thought 3 was sort of visually evocative at least -- I remember seeing crumbling radar dishes off in the distance and thinking they looked memorable.

By the time I played New Vegas, I got to the little Las Vegas part of the map and it was so tiny (and split in half with a loading screen if I remember correctly) that I lost interest. It just seemed too dinky and miniature to be a hub for a game. But the factions were kind of interesting and it seems like so many Fallout fans cite it as a favorite.

I really actually enjoy 4 I think because I don't feel any real fealty to any of the modern 3D fallouts and because of the combination of base building and the Delete Anything mod. Going into a pile of garbage and collapsed buildings and shitty brambles and tearing everything out and slapping down a modest but secure and symmetrical house for someone actually feels to me like first time in the game's history that the Nuclear 1950s schtick exists for anything beyond the basic undermining of the American dream or the semi-sarcastic juxtaposition of cheerful period music with post-apocalyptic devastation.

Fallout 4 with a little settlement building and game modding actually seems to suggest that there might be some specific value to the sort of restrained and cerebral Apollonian thinking of midcentury America that has hitherto existed only to be skewered by the series. You're in a disorganized, overgrown, chaotic environment and you can begin to counterbalance that by clarifying and organizing the environment for the collective good. That's actually compelling to me personally as a player, whereas crawling through glowing green goop to shoot some caesar's Vegas fascist creepo i can take or leave as video games go.

Fallout New Vegas is absolutely worth your time, it's the best Fallout game to date. With mods, there's no question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSgWstBsfc

I think you just didn't play far enough. New Vegas is titanically large. You don't actually start to affect the outcome of the wasteland until you reach New Vegas, and start working with the larger, more powerful factions and subfactions and start making alliances that change the Wasteland.

New Vegas is so damn good.
    Hot take: I blame the mod community for NV and 3 for the more shootery direction of Fallout 4. In the top 10 all-time files in 3 and NV, after your Unofficial Patches and whatnot, are major combat overhauls (FWE, Project Nevada) that make the game more in the vein of a tactical shooter. And in particular, New Vegas seemed full of tacticool SWAT/Special Ops/Rainbow 6-esque guns and gear mods, to the point where entire communities formed specifically around ripping assets out of other tactical combat games for use in New Vegas. It would be silly of Bethesda NOT to look at the Nexus and see what the community seems to want in their games.

So something that a lot of people tend to overlook is that Black Isle had a pretty grounded take on guns for a sci-fi game in the first two Fallout games. The descriptions of a lot of the weapons reference real life gun manufacturers for their made up weapons (e.g the plasma pistol was made by Glock), some guns had different ammo types, many Fallout 2 weapons were experimental real world weapons (e.g. the Pancor Jackhammer shotgun of which there were only about 12 made IRL) or well historied ones (e.g. the FN FAL prevalent among Europe's armed forces for a time post WW2). I suspect that the prevalence of the 10mm pistols were due to Fallout 1 being made at a time law enforcement signaled wanting to move to using 10mm pistols after the FBI concluded existing 9mm and .38 special sidearms were underpowered after the disastrous Miami FBI shootout. The Fallout 1 manual had a short but detailed description of the differences between standard FMJ ammo, hollow point bullets, and armor piercing ammo (which is how teenage me first learned about them). The designers did a lot of work on the guns to make them believable so it's not surprising that Obsidian did some similar work in New Vegas. It's a level of detail the vast majority of gamers will never really appreciate but it does a lot to make the setting feel more real for people with the background knowledge. It's a big contrast with Fallout 4's love of pipe guns everywhere including prewar caches.

That and a single bad critical would reduce you to goo regardless of armor level, same for the enemy. Which basically simulates hitting the weak point in armor like the joints.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Someday I should go try to play New Vegas again and finish it. I thought Fallout 1 and 2 were good back in the day and thought 3 was sort of visually evocative at least -- I remember seeing crumbling radar dishes off in the distance and thinking they looked memorable.

By the time I played New Vegas, I got to the little Las Vegas part of the map and it was so tiny (and split in half with a loading screen if I remember correctly) that I lost interest. It just seemed too dinky and miniature to be a hub for a game. But the factions were kind of interesting and it seems like so many Fallout fans cite it as a favorite.

I really actually enjoy 4 I think because I don't feel any real fealty to any of the modern 3D fallouts and because of the combination of base building and the Delete Anything mod. Going into a pile of garbage and collapsed buildings and shitty brambles and tearing everything out and slapping down a modest but secure and symmetrical house for someone actually feels to me like first time in the game's history that the Nuclear 1950s schtick exists for anything beyond the basic undermining of the American dream or the semi-sarcastic juxtaposition of cheerful period music with post-apocalyptic devastation.

Fallout 4 with a little settlement building and game modding actually seems to suggest that there might be some specific value to the sort of restrained and cerebral Apollonian thinking of midcentury America that has hitherto existed only to be skewered by the series. You're in a disorganized, overgrown, chaotic environment and you can begin to counterbalance that by clarifying and organizing the environment for the collective good. That's actually compelling to me personally as a player, whereas crawling through glowing green goop to shoot some caesar's Vegas fascist creepo i can take or leave as video games go.

Fallout New Vegas is absolutely worth your time, it's the best Fallout game to date. With mods, there's no question.

I think you just didn't play far enough. New Vegas is titanically large. You don't actually start to affect the outcome of the wasteland until you reach New Vegas, and start working with the larger, more powerful factions and subfactions and start making alliances that change the Wasteland.

Hot take: I blame the mod community for NV and 3 for the more shootery direction of Fallout 4. In the top 10 all-time files in 3 and NV, after your Unofficial Patches and whatnot, are major combat overhauls (FWE, Project Nevada) that make the game more in the vein of a tactical shooter. And in particular, New Vegas seemed full of tacticool SWAT/Special Ops/Rainbow 6-esque guns and gear mods, to the point where entire communities formed specifically around ripping assets out of other tactical combat games for use in New Vegas. It would be silly of Bethesda NOT to look at the Nexus and see what the community seems to want in their games.

So something that a lot of people tend to overlook is that Black Isle had a pretty grounded take on guns for a sci-fi game in the first two Fallout games. The descriptions of a lot of the weapons reference real life gun manufacturers for their made up weapons (e.g the plasma pistol was made by Glock), some guns had different ammo types, many Fallout 2 weapons were experimental real world weapons (e.g. the Pancor Jackhammer shotgun of which there were only about 12 made IRL) or well historied ones (e.g. the FN FAL prevalent among Europe's armed forces for a time post WW2). I suspect that the prevalence of the 10mm pistols were due to Fallout 1 being made at a time law enforcement signaled wanting to move to using 10mm pistols after the FBI concluded existing 9mm and .38 special sidearms were underpowered after the disastrous Miami FBI shootout. The Fallout 1 manual had a short but detailed description of the differences between standard FMJ ammo, hollow point bullets, and armor piercing ammo (which is how teenage me first learned about them). The designers did a lot of work on the guns to make them believable so it's not surprising that Obsidian did some similar work in New Vegas. It's a level of detail the vast majority of gamers will never really appreciate but it does a lot to make the setting feel more real for people with the background knowledge. It's a big contrast with Fallout 4's love of pipe guns everywhere including prewar caches.

That and a single bad critical would reduce you to goo regardless of armor level, same for the enemy. Which basically simulates hitting the weak point in armor like the joints.

One of the critical hit effects was specifically to bypass armor. Not as flashy as the damage increases but could be really strong against some of the more protected enemy types. Deathclaws specifically were prone to that one when shot in the eyes.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    You could also get instant death criticals if you rolled over 100 I think. Once I killed Lo Pan in the martial arts tournament with one punch, doing one hit point of damaged, which revealed his spine to the air, and with bloody mess on blew a hole in his torso.

And yes, describing it now, it was literally one punch man.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Wasn't the original game also calculating bullet damage and trajectory for every individual bullet from a minigun or somesuch lovely nonsense? That was the case, at least, in the SPECIAL tabletop RPG rules.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    i miss the old days in F1/2 where the way you fought Death Claws was to shoot them in the eye, cause anywhere else was moot.

• Options
    Unless you made a quick draw/sniper luck ten build in which case you could fire a gauss pistol five times per turn with each one being a guaranteed critical. :P

Ah, it was so fun to break those games.

• Options
    Wasn't the original game also calculating bullet damage and trajectory for every individual bullet from a minigun or somesuch lovely nonsense? That was the case, at least, in the SPECIAL tabletop RPG rules.

Not trajectory unless you mean how bursts would have a cone of fire so you could hit multiple targets clumped up at a distance or quickly gib someone up close. But nothing like ballistic drop off or the like.

Definitely damage though which kind of made miniguns really weak. They didn't have the damage per bullet to get past the damage threshold of a lot of stuff so you could largely laugh off super mutants that loved the things when you were in power armor.
    You could also get instant death criticals if you rolled over 100 I think. Once I killed Lo Pan in the martial arts tournament with one punch, doing one hit point of damaged, which revealed his spine to the air, and with bloody mess on blew a hole in his torso.

And yes, describing it now, it was literally one punch man.

I don't remember if that was something added in 2 or if it was in 1. I certainly noticed it a lot more in 2 as much more stuff had enough hp that an early instant kill critical hit could make a big difference and it took longer to get high power weapons. A lot of my victories in the New Reno boxing tournament were from head hits that only did like 4 damage due to the boxing gloves but killed the other boxer.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Burst fire in F1 was great.

Unless it was being done by Ian.

Then it was fucking horrible.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Get hit by friendly fire from Ian once, shame on him.

Don't unequip the SMG and stick to semi-auto only handguns, shame on you.

That said, his burst fire antics generally weren't as bad as the one time I discovered that Tycho considers himself proficient in rocket launchers.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    My exact expression.

x7FXWJI.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    That said, his burst fire antics generally weren't as bad as the one time I discovered that Tycho considers himself proficient in rocket launchers.

His legacy continues to this day.

• Options

never, ever ever ever ever give big guns to companions.

Its a recipe for disaster.
    Glazius wrote: »

WHAT DID I JUST SAY.

• Options

never, ever ever ever ever give big guns to companions.

Its a recipe for disaster.

WHAT DID I JUST SAY.

Oh, companions have advanced, slightly. Somebody in power armor was patrolling Lexington with a Fat Man. After he died, Piper recognized the weapon as a damage upgrade to her own and picked it up all by herself!

(Fortunately you've also gained superior tools to fight back. 8 Cha and 1 rank in Inspirational means it can't hurt you.)

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

i, for one, have no complaints at all about fallout 4 being a competent shooter

that it is is the only reason i've put as much time into it as i have

but if the lesson bethesda took from this is that we want rainbow 6 with RPG pretensions, and not new vegas but more playable, bethesda is off their rocker

• Options
    It's very nice and good for them that they managed to make a competent shooter. I just want more RPG elements in my RPG series, not less.

• Options
    It's very nice and good for them that they managed to make a competent shooter. I just want more RPG elements in my RPG series, not less.

Basically everyone wants Obsidian to get a crack with the engine and systems and see what comes out.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Have there been any major mod developments over the last couple months for Fallout 4?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Basically everyone wants Obsidian to get a crack with the engine and systems and see what comes out.

I'm happy for them to keep working on Pillars of Eternity and other games on the same isometric engine.

• Options

Preferably without the ridiculously short 11 month time frame and bending them over the table over a single metacritic point

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Have there been any major mod developments over the last couple months for Fallout 4?

Sim Settlements got most of the bugs worked out so you can start using it from the word go and not worry about provisioners or anything needing to be reassigned, and managing and picking out plots got a lot more streamlined. The author's working on a second expansion pack after Industrial Revolution. No word on what that is yet though.

Not new developments, but the Power Armor Storage System and Power Armor Airdrop combo is working together really great for me. Airdrop lets you tag a suit of power armor to be delivered to you in one of three methods: Minuteman (cannon), Brotherhood/Railroad (vertibird), or Institute (teleport). The storage system is a virtual holotape accessible from inside the armor that automatically leaves things in it when you get out, to be transferred out normally. Things like the big heavy guns.

So when I come up on a huge overworld target I shoot a flare into the air, there's a distant cannon sound, and then my power armor drops out of the sky, with a missile launcher and a minigun ready to go.

• Options

Sim Settlements got most of the bugs worked out so you can start using it from the word go and not worry about provisioners or anything needing to be reassigned, and managing and picking out plots got a lot more streamlined. The author's working on a second expansion pack after Industrial Revolution. No word on what that is yet though.

Not new developments, but the Power Armor Storage System and Power Armor Airdrop combo is working together really great for me. Airdrop lets you tag a suit of power armor to be delivered to you in one of three methods: Minuteman (cannon), Brotherhood/Railroad (vertibird), or Institute (teleport). The storage system is a virtual holotape accessible from inside the armor that automatically leaves things in it when you get out, to be transferred out normally. Things like the big heavy guns.

So when I come up on a huge overworld target I shoot a flare into the air, there's a distant cannon sound, and then my power armor drops out of the sky, with a missile launcher and a minigun ready to go.

It amuses me to no end, the idea of someone putting power armor in a big fucking gun and shooting it to me across the map.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    And yet, it's so Fallout.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    And yet, it's so Fallout.

If only there was destructable terain.

Seeing it plow through a building roof and collapse the building.

Or land and make a huge creator

• Options
    The only thing MORE metal would be being IN the power armor as it gets launched across the map.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The only thing MORE metal would be being IN the power armor Liberty Prime as it gets launched across the map.

Has someone done this already? Hopefully?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options

On the subject of power armor mods, I've been playing with this:

Better Power Armor - A Power Armor Overhaul

It makes it so that you don't take any health damage while your power armor is intact. Once a location gets destroyed, you take damage if you're hit in that location, or if you're hit with an explosive. Deathclaw melee will also damage you through your armor, though the damage is reduced.

If you check the mod out, I recommend using the optional file that reduces the health of power armor parts. I think it strikes a good balance of making power armor tanky but not invulnerable. If you use the vanilla game values, both you and enemies wearing power armor feel a bit too damage spongey.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

Oh hey, I just started a new Survival run and that might be a good mod for it. Generally I don't trek all over the map for the armor, which means I rarely if ever use it.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    I have a serious problem. I hit the 255 plugin limit today, 2/3 of which were more shit for settlement building, and wanted to keep going so I learned how to merge plugins today. Which filled up my 120gb SSD. So I'm moving the install to my 256gb m.2 tonight. And merged plugins scare the shit out of me so I'm wiping the slate clean and starting over.
    I think I've spent literally all my free time for the last week just setting up mods.

• Options
    I have a serious problem. I hit the 255 plugin limit today, 2/3 of which were more shit for settlement building, and wanted to keep going so I learned how to merge plugins today. Which filled up my 120gb SSD. So I'm moving the install to my 256gb m.2 tonight. And merged plugins scare the shit out of me so I'm wiping the slate clean and starting over.
    I think I've spent literally all my free time for the last week just setting up mods.

Shitting Christ how the hell do you have 255 mods D:

• Options

To be fair, I'm noticing Fallout 4 has a huge problem with modders being super lazy with their patches. More mods than I'm comfortable with end up being 2-3 (or more!) .esp files between the base mod and their various compatibility patches. I've gone on sprees before in Skyrim and New Vegas but I've never capped 200 plugins at my worst. When I was installing mods yesterday by the time I was done setting up JUST settlement and crafting mods I had maybe 60 plugins left for more fun stuff.
    I'm planning on weeding out the chaff I've allowed myself when I get home from work tonight. Thankfully I'm not too far in my game that starting over won't hurt too bad.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

To be fair, I'm noticing Fallout 4 has a huge problem with modders being super lazy with their patches. More mods than I'm comfortable with end up being 2-3 (or more!) .esp files between the base mod and their various compatibility patches. I've gone on sprees before in Skyrim and New Vegas but I've never capped 200 plugins at my worst. When I was installing mods yesterday by the time I was done setting up JUST settlement and crafting mods I had maybe 60 plugins left for more fun stuff.
    I'm planning on weeding out the chaff I've allowed myself when I get home from work tonight. Thankfully I'm not too far in my game that starting over won't hurt too bad.

I've noticed this as well, and it's way worse than it's ever been that I can recall. The Complete Crafting Overhaul mod is a prime example of this; patches have been created for so many different clothing and armor mods, but they are all separate downloads and each has their own .ESP file. It gets out of control fast.

Still, even in Skyrim modding I've had problems with hitting the mod limit, usually when I follow guides like STEP which seem to love all these mods that change small, individual things and each have their own ESPs. I soon learned to just drop those, because the effects they had were just not worth the cost.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    An update: After moving my install, Nexus Mod Manager has completely shit the bed and isn't actually installing about half the mods it says it is (when I restart NMM they list as uninstalled). So tonight it looks like I'm going to be checking out Mod Organizer 2. I don't know why it makes me wary that it's not made by the same person that made Mod Organizer, it's not like one is more official than the other, but it does.

I've noticed this as well, and it's way worse than it's ever been that I can recall. The Complete Crafting Overhaul mod is a prime example of this; patches have been created for so many different clothing and armor mods, but they are all separate downloads and each has their own .ESP file. It gets out of control fast.

Still, even in Skyrim modding I've had problems with hitting the mod limit, usually when I follow guides like STEP which seem to love all these mods that change small, individual things and each have their own ESPs. I soon learned to just drop those, because the effects they had were just not worth the cost.

Just this morning I was looking at my ESPs and the combat scopes mod installs a plugin for each modded weapon it affects. Holy shit why? Give those mod makers the files and ask them to release an integrated esp!

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    did you update the directory path for NMM?

or resense locations?

• Options

or resense locations?
    Yaaaarp. NMM was acting fucky in the first place after I moved FO4, wouldn't detect the new drive install until I moved Fallout 4 back...at which point it was looking for it on the new drive, not the new old drive. So I moved it back again to the drive I moved it to in the first place, and NMM was happy again, or so I thought. Also this whole process was maybe half an hour because I was moving from an SSD to an m.2 and vice versa, or I'd have torn all my hair out.
    So I said fuck it and nuked Fallout 4 from orbit and told Steam to reinstall before I left for work, and I'll start from scratch again tonight. And I thought load order shenanigans with FOMM and NV was a nightmare..

• Options

or resense locations?
    Yaaaarp. NMM was acting fucky in the first place after I moved FO4, wouldn't detect the new drive install until I moved Fallout 4 back...at which point it was looking for it on the new drive, not the new old drive. So I moved it back again to the drive I moved it to in the first place, and NMM was happy again, or so I thought. Also this whole process was maybe half an hour because I was moving from an SSD to an m.2 and vice versa, or I'd have torn all my hair out.
    So I said fuck it and nuked Fallout 4 from orbit and told Steam to reinstall before I left for work, and I'll start from scratch again tonight. And I thought load order shenanigans with FOMM and NV was a nightmare..

might be wise to uninstall NMM reinstall

• Options

or resense locations?

Well, like I said at this point I'm trying MO2, NMM has been reinstalled already in the last weekend because of rando issues. Prior to this I'd had NMM on my 'slow' drive running a virtual install while Fallout was on my SSD and it was running like absolute garbage so I'd tried to change from a linked install to everything on the same drive, and THAT caused everything to break. Just one series of mishaps, admittedly instigated by me, after another. Just ready to try something else.

• Options
    In case today's update killed your script extender (forgot if someone posted this or not already):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQI_DVZfaQ

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017

or resense locations?

Ok, when you're right, you're right. Mod Organizer 2 is a crashy pain in the ass that won't install MCM properly or run external apps without crashing, which is half the point of Mod Organizer. That is to say, reinstalled NMM, hopefully for the last time in a while.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

or resense locations?

Ok, when you're right, you're right. Mod Organizer 2 is a crashy pain in the ass that won't install MCM properly or run external apps without crashing, which is half the point of Mod Organizer. That is to say, reinstalled NMM, hopefully for the last time in a while.

Yeah, I've long been a huge fan of Mod Organizer, but I've never heard enough good about MO2 to use it for Fallout 4... I ended up just sticking with NMM. As inferior as its interface is to MO, I've managed to make it work until, hopefully, the original MO author (who was hired by the Nexus) comes up with something better.

This discussion has been closed.