As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Great Balls of Fire!

Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worsebefore it gets any better.Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Social Entropy++
Not only a fantastic movie, but the one song amongst a multitude of brilliant others that Jerry Lee Lewis is famous for. I love Jerry Lee.

Elvis, The Temptations, The Dell-Vikings, Frankie Valon and the Teenagers, Buddy Holly, and various others make for some odd stares when a fat teenager is humming them as he walked through the mall.

What kind of old music do you courtisans and gentle-fops listen to?

Metzger Meister on

• Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I already don't like this thread, but then again, I don't like many things

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    However, I do like Jerry Lee's choice in females

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What, you have a thirteen year old cousin who looks like Winona Ryder that you wanna bang? :winky:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dislexic wrote: »
    However, I do like Jerry Lee's choice in females

His 15 yearold cousin?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Old music is Vivaldi!

I listen to a lot of 30s-50s music :<

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    fat teenagers are the worst of anything

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    it's like

don't you have a more active metabolism anyway

you look like a beached whale

without the beach

Kovak on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Beyond the Sea is way better.

Meiz on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ryder's got some tits.

Like, rude ones.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Ryder's got some tits.

Like, rude ones.

Shit yeah.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    oh god im watchin the sopranos

as if that kid isnt bad enough bein a fucking goth

but what he does in the shower fuuuuck

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What's he do in the shower? D: What are you doing to my thread!?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Young Elvis is significantly better than Not Young Elvis.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DISLEXIC LIKES LITTLE KIDS

SEXUALLY

Sheri on
  • Options
    AslanAslan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Vivaldi kicks ass.

But he's no Boccherini.

Aslan on
    Captain_Renault.gif I'm shocked...shocked, to find faggotry in this thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Elvis is awesome, period. Young Elvis was sexy, sure, and served in the army, but Old Elvis....

He... uh... yeah, you're right, nevermind.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My favorite oldie era groups:

Gary Lewis and the Playboys
    The Drifters
    The Vogues
    Dianna Ross and the Supremes

I don't care what anyone says. I fucking love the Supremes.

Bobby Darin was the shit before he turned all hippie on everyone.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    sinatra

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh my god, The Drifters. Yes. Very much a yes. And, of course, The Rat Pack. Except fucking Jerry Lewis... god, fuck him.

Edit: Ray Charles, too.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sinatra and Otis Redding

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    mrpaku wrote: »
    sinatra

Sinatra was awesome and so were his movies but Bobby Darin wrote all his own music. God knows who the man would have surpassed had he been given a stronger heart.

t Metzger Meister: Jerry Lewis did one thing right. He gave us Gary Lewis.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My dad once told me that Sam Cooke was arrested for anti-American activities, which I took to mean that he was a Commie in the wrong era. True or false?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Who, Bob Dylan, post-drug Beatles, Marley, Dire Straights, Simon & Garfunkel.

Some of those might not be considered old but I'm only 22 so they're old enough for me.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Who have been tainted for me because I will forever associate that one scream with David Carusso

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is that from CSI:Miami? I don't remember which theme song they have...

But the intro to Baba O'Riley makes my ears bleed with pleasure. I used to smoke a little weed after work, crank the windows down, and blast that shit.

Man those were the days.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Who, Bob Dylan, post-drug Beatles, Marley, Dire Straights, Simon & Garfunkel.

Some of those might not be considered old but I'm only 22 so they're old enough for me.

You're a generation ahead of this thread dude.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Is that from CSI:Miami? I don't remember which theme song they have...

It's more because of the Youtube video that compiled all the one-liners and a particular Weebl and Bob toon

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Butters wrote: »

You're a generation ahead of this thread dude.

Ehhhhhh. Someone else talked about a kid shitting in a shower stall, I don't feel too bad about bringing up The Who or Dylan.

What really scares me is that one day, when I'm old and decrepit, I will turn on the oldies station, and 50 Cent, Lil Jon, "Diddy" or some bullshit like that will come on.

And that will be the day that I kill myself.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I listen to a lot of music that makes my friends go O_o. Because they listen to one genre of music, typically, and I listen to shit like The Doors and then Bob Marley and then some Mozart and maybe some Tanya Tucker.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I doubt any of those will ever be considered classic

e: this was directed at bucket

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I hope not. The difference between today and music in the fifties, sixties and seventies is that way more people wrote their own music. At least, that's how it seems to me.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    man, Dire Straits isn't oldies

I love them though

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    .... Just a small town girl,
    livin' in a loooonely world...
    :whistle:

This thread is about oldies, and since Journey is officially on oldies stations, they count.

DOOOON'T STOP, BELIEEEEEVIN'! :whistle:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I hope not. The difference between today and music in the fifties, sixties and seventies is that way more people wrote their own music. At least, that's how it seems to me.

My friend and I were talking about that the other day; he claimed that today's music is less meaningful because it's more produced, engineered, written by others, etc. I disagreed, citing primarily Modest Mouse. Sure, their older albums are great, with little to no production, and carry a lot of value. However, you look at stuff like Good News for People Who Love Bad News or WWDBTSES, it's obviously more produced, but just as good as the previous stuff. Is the music worse because it's more produced? Not in my opinion, it's just that the engineers and producers deserve a lot of musical credit right alongside the band. And in the case of those who don't write their own material, the writers deserve credit too.

Keep in mind bad music is bad music, regardless of how the production process goes, and that's not what I'm talking about.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been listening to a lot of Neil Diamond stuff lately, especially his songs he wrote for The Monkees. Niel Diamond does the Beatles is pretty cool.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »

Anything my dad made me listen to is oldies to me, so sorry if I derailed your talk of Sinatra and big bands of the 20's and 30's. I probably skimmed more than I should have when reading the other posts...

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I love them though

Dire Straits is awesome. Along with Stevie Ray Vaughn and George Thoroughgood, you have a white guys do blues guitar correctly super team.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

My friend and I were talking about that the other day; he claimed that today's music is less meaningful because it's more produced, engineered, written by others, etc. I disagreed, citing primarily Modest Mouse. Sure, their older albums are great, with little to no production, and carry a lot of value. However, you look at stuff like Good News for People Who Love Bad News or WWDBTSES, it's obviously more produced, but just as good as the previous stuff. Is the music worse because it's more produced? Not in my opinion, it's just that the engineers and producers deserve a lot of musical credit right alongside the band. And in the case of those who don't write their own material, the writers deserve credit too.

Keep in mind bad music is bad music, regardless of how the production process goes, and that's not what I'm talking about.

See, the thing is, music being produced obviously does not lessen it's value. To me, that just says the artist who is handling the music just takes it seriously and wants it to sound as good as possible. However, if the only talent of the performer in question comes from some good filters and an awesome studio engineer, then there's a problem.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Anything my dad made me listen to is oldies to me, so sorry if I derailed your talk of Sinatra and big bands of the 20's and 30's. I probably skimmed more than I should have when reading the other posts...

My dad "made me" listen to it growing up, but it's still not oldies.

"On Every Street" came out in 1991!

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hunter wrote: »

I love them though

Dire Straits is awesome. Along with Stevie Ray Vaughn and George Thoroughgood, you have a white guys do blues guitar correctly super team.

If I had to list my top 20 songs, probably at least 5 would be Dire Straits.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png