As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gather 'round for [Magic]!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Radius wrote: »
    Give me a Minotaur deck

why bother, didgeridoo is on the reserved list

the second most expensive card in homelands

at roughly 3.50

I remember wanting to build a Minotaur deck and trying to get that card and how it all fell apart

Looking up commander rules I kind of like them but building 100 card decks is not my thing

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Kay wrote: »
    Zendikar Vampires are also BW, it's only Innistrad that are RB.

Yeah when vamps go multicolor they tend to go BW. Ravnica has a bunch of Orzhov vampires, although they also throw the occasional UB curveball too.

On that subject, there are a few Grixis vamps: Blood Tyrant, Garza Zol, and Jeleva.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Give me a Minotaur deck

at roughly 3.50

I remember wanting to build a Minotaur deck and trying to get that card and how it all fell apart

Looking up commander rules I kind of like them but building 100 card decks is not my thing

The best approach is to buy one of the Commander packs they release each year. That way you have your deck playable out of the box and can tweak it to your satisfaction.

Commander is a ton of fun and a great way to while away a couple of hours. My friends and I get together every couple of weeks and catch up while playing it.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So I guess its been confirmed that the new unset will have at least one one black boarder card and its breaking my heart.
    Steamflogger boss

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    that's just mean spirited

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I hate that
    I'd rather not have it than have it wasted on a silver border set. Half the fun was wondering what Contraptions would be in a black b order set.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    well maybe you shouldn't have liked things that can't be done in black border!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Aw man and I was just reminded that the vanilla mythic also turned out to be in Unstable

Dang what's the point of these intriguing promises if they turn out to just be jokes in the end?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    idk that's like saying what's the point of putting cards in conspiracy if they're just gonna be draft-only

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    But they never suggested that those cards might be anything other than draft only

They hinted at these things, then only after did they announce a third Un-set. Most folks probably thought these were coming in black border.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Steamflogger Boss has explicitly been said to be a joke multiple times.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/three-things-i-get-mail-about-2007-05-11
    As the card polarized people in R&D, so the Steamflogger Boss has polarized my readers, and, I'm sure, the bulk of Magic players as a whole. Some can appreciate the absurdness of the joke; others don't think "regular" (as in "not Unglued or Unhinged") Magic sets are the place for stunts like this.

Two recurring themes both on the boards and in my mail were (a) many people were okay with it until I admitted the card was conceived as a "joke" from the beginning, and (b) many people were okay with it conceptually but resent the fact that is was made a rare.

To the first point, from "Apeiron" on our boards:

Man do I feel cheated. So this card only purpose was to have nonsense written on it?! For real? Sigh... I know they warned of these red herring stuff, but I believe this went a bit too far.

Part of the fun of reading magicthegathering.com is finding out things you didn't know before. Sometimes (most of the time, I hope) those things are entertaining and fun and make you feel more connected to the game somehow. Other times, to show that we don't have much to hide, we talk about less savory things like bad rares, bad mechanics, and development errors. If you want to know how sausage is made, visit the sausage factory. If you don't, and just want to enjoy your sausage without thinking too much about how or why it exists, by all means stay home and enjoy it. I know there is a certain percentage of our audience that would make it through their weeks in better moods—and probably be happier with Magic—if they never read the things Mark and I had to say, and instead returned to that ignorantly blissful phase where they thought new Magic cards mysteriously materialized on the shelves every four months without the influence of "people."

So I'm sorry that finding out my intentions ruined Steamflogger Boss for some of you, but that's what finding things out will do sometimes.

Now I will come down off my high horse and say that I'm sorry the card was a rare. Having your rare—the crown jewel of your booster pack—be a goofy card that is mostly unusable is never going to be a great feeling, and the joke could have been pulled off at uncommon just as well.

I don't anticipate us doing any more "just for fun" style cards in normal sets any time soon. I remember a discussion I was having with the Jelly development team about potentially putting a card in the set that was also in Butter, the set before, so you'd get the exact same card two sets in a row. It was Doug Beyer that said, "Stuff like that is funny to hear about and read about, and fun to talk about, but it stops being funny once it's in your pack." Point taken.

Maro's also said for years that Contraptions might be silverborder.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/157222011088/scenario-you-solve-contraptions-but-in-a-way
    http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/154107853508/would-you-consider-contraptions-solved-if-they
    http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/137112930938/would-you-be-satisfied-with-a-silver-border
    http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/135731644683/ok-ive-seen-on-multiple-occasions-people-ask-you
    http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/124369748363/when-you-solve-the-issue-of-contraptions-can-you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ah, I stand corrected

I'm still a little sad though

• Options
    (also the vanilla mythic would have been miserable in blackborder)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    (also the vanilla mythic would have been miserable in blackborder)

What if it was a 5/3 for 1G

• Options
    then that would have been miserable in blackborder

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    What stats and cost would a vanilla mythic need to please you

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    So I guess its been confirmed that the new unset will have at least one one black boarder card and its breaking my heart.
    Steamflogger boss

I was becoming unenchanted with the idea of a third Un set but this made me laugh so maybe there's hope for me yet.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    It's unpleasable! That's the problem! There are so few fucking knobs to turn on a vanilla card, that to make it worth running you would need something either unplayable or oppressive. If it's something that's just overstatted for its cost, wow, woo-hoo, I'm so happy that's in the format. Great card design, really impressive. Just keep adding stats as rarity goes up, what is this, YuGiOh? If it's some complex buildaround, like a creature with 0 toughness, or a creature without a mana cost that you have to cheat into play, now you've spent an entire mythic slot on a card that does literally nothing by itself. Either way it's something I either don't want in the format for balance reasons, or would be woefully underpowered, uninteresting, and miserable to open in a pack. The entire reason people like the idea of a "vanilla mythic" is the intellectual question of "how would they make a vanilla creature worth a mythic slot?", it's this idea they build up in their head without realizing that if no one can think of a good answer, maybe there just isn't a good answer and it's a bad thing that shouldn't happen.

And that's not getting into my second problem with the whole "vanilla mythic" idea which is that people build up offhand things that WotC says into things that are bigger than they actually are. Not to pick on BFL here but he refers to the idea of these things as "intriguing promises", and hon, developers promise nothing. There are all sorts of other futureshifted cards that are never getting reprinted. The "promise" made was made in the community's mind, and built up amongst themselves.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    20/20

1G

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    GW 2/6, possible relevant tribal. Overstattedness can still be annoying in a low power/high toughness scenario, but will pretty much only be annoying to the aggro player unlike how a 2 mana 4/4 would just be annoying to everyone. It gets a niche as defensive low-drop that doesn't have the drawback of walls, being that it can kill things that attack it and hit back given the opportunity. It fits the Watchwolf/Call of the Conclave theme of overstatted GW 2-drops. It gets extra value in EDH because it curves into Doran excellently. And even for aggro red, while it'll be extremely hard to beat once resolved because it's effectively immune to your damage-based removal and eats your Goblin Guide and walls your Swiftspear, the sort of deck that's looking to play a multicolored two drop is exactly the sort of deck aggro red tears apart when they stumble mana-wise (at least afaik, all my statements toward matchups is purely speculative).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Yeah boy I'd love a 2/6 for 2 that sounds fuckin' great.

(that would not only fuck over aggro red, but also control red, EG)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Yeah boy I'd love a 2/6 for 2 that sounds fuckin' great.

(that would not only fuck over aggro red, but also control red, EG)

I didn't mean to say it was the perfect solution, but more a proof of concept that you can get a lot closer to "real card" than I think you were giving credit for. Plus this conversation is pretty much telling me we already have the vanilla mythic and it's named Tarmogoyf.

Like, even the 2/6 for 'control red' isn't an unsolvable issue. In modern switch over to Rakdos/Grixis/Jund (like most controlly red decks already are) to grab your Pushes and Terminates. If you don't want it ravaging standard have a black or white spell that destroys a critter with 2 or less power. You can even drop it to 2/5 so it dies to Guide/Swiftspear + bolt, so that it's not unbeatable by mono-red.

And here's another idea for the vanilla mythic, just pander directly to Commander players:

IbuqZw2.png

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    you're just describing the issue i have with it though, which is that you've pitched a format-warping card that doesn't do anything but be a ball of boring stats

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah none of those sound fun tbh.

Maybe 6/0? Thats the only thing I could imagine enjoying.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    if legendary doesn't break vanilla, they could bump it up to 4/5 or something. They wouldn't be able to travel in Rhino-like packs.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    some pics from the Unstable panel: https://imgur.com/a/cofkH

Looks a bit like a Mean Streets of Gadgetzan set to go along with Un'Goro.

• Options
    i'm gonna start stuffing you nerds who only know how to reference hearthstone in lockers

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    you're just describing the issue i have with it though, which is that you've pitched a format-warping card that doesn't do anything but be a ball of boring stats

I have a very strong feeling that it being two color would stop it from being format warping, but I could be wrong. Maybe it'd take an alternate timeline where Goyf and Noble Hierarch are banned so that Abzan and Bant aren't as desirable colors.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I have a very strong feeling that it being two color would stop it from being format warping, but I could be wrong. Maybe it'd take an alternate timeline where Goyf and Noble Hierarch are banned so that Jund and Bant aren't as desirable colors.

standard is the most played format and you're describing a standard-warping card

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    yMNcOUo.png?1

• Options

I have a very strong feeling that it being two color would stop it from being format warping, but I could be wrong. Maybe it'd take an alternate timeline where Goyf and Noble Hierarch are banned so that Jund and Bant aren't as desirable colors.

standard is the most played format and you're describing a standard-warping card

Pre-ban it in standard, then. It's a card designed for Modern, in the end, which might be a "no" in the current design philosophy, but with Leovold getting play in Legacy because of the supplementary set clause I think the precedent is there to directly inject a card into a certain format. Should they do that? Probably not, but they certainly could.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Pre-ban it in standard, then. It's a card designed for Modern, in the end, which might be a "no" in the current design philosophy, but with Leovold getting play in Legacy because of the supplementary set clause I think the precedent is there to directly inject a card into a certain format. Should they do that? Probably not, but they certainly could.

if your pitch for "how do you make a vanilla mythic" is "Pre-emptively ban it from a format" i'm going to say you've demonstrated the problems with the idea

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017

if your pitch for "how do you make a vanilla mythic" is "Pre-emptively ban it from a format" i'm going to say you've demonstrated the problems with the idea

If you think a card needs to fit in every format, I'd say you've got too narrow a vision. Hell, like I just said, Leovold was effectively pre-banned from Modern (and may have actually been pre-banned from Commander? It's banned right now, at least, which makes me think that probably happened quickly). There's precedent there for designing a card at a particular power level and just cutting it out of the formats it'd be too high power in.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    i think a card needs to fit in the formats that the set it is printed in is designed to support, yes

the thing people were excited about is a vanilla mythic in a regular, standard set

and again, designing it at that power level based on nothing but raw stats is bad

and also, "Well how are you going to design a vanilla mythic?" "Well we're just going to intentionally push it to inject it directly into a format" is bad

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Zendikar Vampires are also BW, it's only Innistrad that are RB.

Yeah when vamps go multicolor they tend to go BW. Ravnica has a bunch of Orzhov vampires, although they also throw the occasional UB curveball too.

On that subject, there are a few Grixis vamps: Blood Tyrant, Garza Zol, and Jeleva.

Homelands/Ice Age is where I attempted to make a Vampire deck or a proto Commander Deck
    It had a family of vampires

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    Give me a Minotaur deck

at roughly 3.50

The best approach is to buy one of the Commander packs they release each year. That way you have your deck playable out of the box and can tweak it to your satisfaction.

Commander is a ton of fun and a great way to while away a couple of hours. My friends and I get together every couple of weeks and catch up while playing it.

It looks like fun but I would need a few games to figure out how to build the one I think of
    I have a Commander deck from 2014? that I really bought for 3 cards

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Give me a Minotaur deck

at roughly 3.50

It looks like fun but I would need a few games to figure out how to build the one I think of

That's generally how I approach it.

I have 18 commander decks at this point, very few of which overlap each other. The beauty of commander is since it is a singleton format you don't need lots of expensive cards, there are plenty of decks you could build on a budget.

Generally it starts with a legend or theme I like (druid tribal with Titania at the head or Queen Marchesa with a bunch of kings and kingdom style effects with soldier tribal subtheme) or a mechanic (like say banding, -1/-1 counters, +1/+1 counters) or a combination of cards with a weird effect or strong synergy.

Kelor on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I think the only way to do a vanilla-ass mythic would be to make it legendary, and just about the only stat line to mana cost ratio I could see it having would be GW for a 3/4 or MAYBE GR for a 4/3.

I agree with INANGTP that it would be a bad card, and that it shouldn't be done, but going over 2 mana has already been done unless you want to make a 3 mana 6/6 which would just be stupid bullshit.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Give me a Minotaur deck

at roughly 3.50

That's generally how I approach it.

I have 18 commander decks at this point, very few of which overlap each other. The beauty of commander is since it is a singleton format you don't need lots of expensive cards, there are plenty of decks you could build on a budget.

Generally it starts with a legend or theme I like (druid tribal with Titania at the head or Queen Marchesa with a bunch of kings and kingdom style effects with soldier tribal subtheme) or a mechanic (like say banding, -1/-1 counters, +1/+1 counters) or a combination of cards with a weird effect or strong synergy.

I feel better about have 10 EDH decks now, soon to be 11.

EDH would be so much more affordable for me if I could bring myself to just switch cards between decks that share cards. I have a super friends and +1/+1 counter Atraxa deck that I switch between, one of the cards being a Doubling Season. My Rhys deck also needs a Doubling Season but I don't want to keep switching and resleeving. I am also probably gonna buy the cards for a Hapatra deck in the next few weeks and I could save a bunch of money by using the mana base from my Meren deck, very similar to each other but again I don't want to switch stuff around.

Meren being double sleeved also doesn't make it any less annoying.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I am very curious about the Vampire commander deck? will they bring back Baron Sengir? as back in Homelands he was just a Legend nothing more

Still I forgot where in the house I put the commander deck I think I bought one or 3? I have no idea?
    I know I bought the one with Nevinyrral's Disk since I only had one of those cards from back in the day
    But I think I bought another or this I have no idea and I am quite confused?

This discussion has been closed.