Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man. I've fully mapped out, on paper, what I would do with FFXVI. Too bad I don't work at Square, too bad I don't live in Japan, and too bad they don't care what I think.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I'm replaying Breath of Fire 4, one of my favorite rpg's of all time. I'd love a battle system like that which allows character switching, but also the ability to heal characters in the 'back' row.

There's also mechanics that allow the character to heal on their own or even unleash a special attack/spell at random. It's pretty rare but such a treat.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    If XVI is another near-future-ish world, I'm out. I want another full-fantasy FF like IX.

I would want the opposite: a setting that's way, way, waaaay in the past. Like much of the world is uncharted, people have JUST discovered boats and clothing, everything is new and frightening.

How about instead of every single JRPG setting where "ancient technology" or "ancient gods" isn't a thing, and you're actually part of the history that IS the ancient technology and old gods, as both are being discovered?

I'd want a party who runs into someone like Bahamut and collectively lose their shit over the flying, terrifying spectacle they never knew existed.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Yeah I've not been a fan of SE reinventing the wheel with each FF game. Sure there is something to be said about trying something new, but their method is just overly time consuming and very expensive. I've no problem with them trying some new things, just don't burn your ships down just to build new ones.

I enjoyed XV, warts and all. Sure it wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I would personally like to see them take those systems and mechanics and use them as a springboard for a hypothetical XVI. I think there is promise there.
    Building upon whats been done, improving on things that need improving, and designing XVI off those systems from the word go could, IMHO, lead to something special.

I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face: FFX had the best battle system of the series. The perfect refinement of the ATB system, where all turns are instant and you can swap out party members on the fly.

Think of how much more improved any one of their battle systems would be if they just stuck with one for several games instead of tossing everything out and starting over. In another timeline, FFXIII would have released with an evolved Gambit System, and may have been the far better game for it.

X-2 I think is maybe better, but...

Oh agree'd. Both were great and X-2 just serves as a bit of example on what @Professor Snugglesworth was talking about.

If XVI is another near-future-ish world, I'm out. I want another full-fantasy FF like IX.

I'm a sucker for the near-future-ish world settings. I also love a "modern" looking world setting. That said, I'm a fan of the more pure fantasy too.

Hm, guess I am easy to please.

I would want the opposite: a setting that's way, way, waaaay in the past. Like much of the world is uncharted, people have JUST discovered boats and clothing, everything is new and frightening.

How about instead of every single JRPG setting where "ancient technology" or "ancient gods" isn't a thing, and you're actually part of the history that IS the ancient technology and old gods, as both are being discovered?

I'd want a party who runs into someone like Bahamut and collectively lose their shit over the flying, terrifying spectacle they never knew existed.

This is one of the reasons I fucking love Xenoblade Chronicles X so much.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Damn. Thats rough.

I had my issues with XV but it turned out a lot more solid than it had any right to considering its insane dev cycle. I wish him luck with the future.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah I've not been a fan of SE reinventing the wheel with each FF game. Sure there is something to be said about trying something new, but their method is just overly time consuming and very expensive. I've no problem with them trying some new things, just don't burn your ships down just to build new ones.

I enjoyed XV, warts and all. Sure it wasn't perfect by any stretch, but I would personally like to see them take those systems and mechanics and use them as a springboard for a hypothetical XVI. I think there is promise there.
    Building upon whats been done, improving on things that need improving, and designing XVI off those systems from the word go could, IMHO, lead to something special.

I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face: FFX had the best battle system of the series. The perfect refinement of the ATB system, where all turns are instant and you can swap out party members on the fly.

Think of how much more improved any one of their battle systems would be if they just stuck with one for several games instead of tossing everything out and starting over. In another timeline, FFXIII would have released with an evolved Gambit System, and may have been the far better game for it.

Oh agree'd. Both were great and X-2 just serves as a bit of example on what @Professor Snugglesworth was talking about.

I'm a sucker for the near-future-ish world settings. I also love a "modern" looking world setting. That said, I'm a fan of the more pure fantasy too.

I was never the biggest fan of FFX-2's revision, to be honest. I felt it was too chaotic to wrap my head around, and the difficulty wasn't balanced very well either (I'd have instances where I would do a mission that was harder, but then recoup with a ton of exp that had me curb-stomp a lower level mission. By the time I reached the final boss I brought him down in less than three turns).

But it's also been forever since I played that game. I never even touched the HD remaster.

I should probably get on that. Play through FFX on PS4 and then FFX-2. Yeah, that could be a thing.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I just loved how experimental X-2 felt, fond of XIII-2 and LR for similar reasons. I also just love RPGs with jump buttons or mild platforming.

Wild Arms 4 was my jam. The back down in Wild Arms 5 broke my heart.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Dream game? Mix the evolution of FF2 (SaGa games basically) with the ATB system of X-2. Let party members who have their full ATB combo with each other, but not in a Chrono Trigger kind of specific dual/triple tech way.

Let all 2, 3, 4, 5(?!) party members unleash a spell/skill before the enemy has a turn to attack if you choose the right skills to put together.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

This is one of the reasons I fucking love Xenoblade Chronicles X so much.

Yep: I really love stories where characters are thrust into a brand new situation and they have to figure out everything literally from scratch: Hey look, a weird alien. Is it friendly? Is it an enemy? Is it food?

I wish there would be a Switch remaster. I never finished it on Wii U and I'd rather not have to wipe all the dust off and reconnect it.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Speaking of good JRPGs, I've recently played through Trails in the Sky for the first time and I'm already devouring Trails of Cold Steel.

I gotta say, the setting for those games is one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

They're so full of life and depth.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah, the worldbuilding in Trails is top-notch stuff

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Speaking of good JRPGs, I've recently played through Trails in the Sky for the first time and I'm already devouring Trails of Cold Steel.

I gotta say, the setting for those games is one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

There are also a total of 9 games fleshing out that world (3 Sky, 2 Cross Bell (none translated), and 4 Cold Steel (only 2 translated thus far)).

Falcolm does good shit.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

There are also a total of 9 games fleshing out that world (3 Sky, 2 Cross Bell (none translated), and 4 Cold Steel (only 2 translated thus far)).

Falcolm does good shit.
    Also XSeed does just ridiculously charming localization work.

I'm playing Rune Factory 4 right now and its super endearing.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Please don't copy X's battle system. It was the worst battle system they made since FF2.

• Options
    This one would probably get a bit of contention, but I also would be up for the idea of starting over with Final Fantasy.

"Final Fantasy XVI" is honestly a silly title no matter how you slice it. Treating the next game as a reboot of sorts of the series would be interesting in itself, but also leave it open to the possibility that future titles are actually direct sequels to the premise of the new game.

I'm not saying to intentionally spread the story out into a trilogy, we've seen how often that idea crashes and burns. But maybe leave things just open-ended enough that the world and its characters can evolve and grow with each new title, instead of reinventing the universe and mythology with every new game.

I've already seen evidence that this could work: Final Fantasy XIV. The world and characters continue to grow and develop with each new expansion and story update. It's been maybe three FFs worth of content up to this point, and it's really fascinating to see how dramatically some of the characters have changed (both physically and spiritually) across their many journeys. Alphinaud and Alisaie started off as a pair of obnoxious elf twins, and they are currently my favorite two characters in the whole game.

I'm pretty much all for the "One World, One Gameplay Mechanic" notion for the series. If they want to create wild new experiments, do it with the spin-offs. It's not like they'll ever stop making spin-offs.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'd settle for "figuring out a way to make XI and XIV singleplayer so people like me who don't want to pay monthly can play them" >_>

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My FFXVI would be a tactics game, set in a very old fashioned world with low tech. It would feature a core cast of MC's that all have character models in the game but it would also allow you to recruit generics like in Disgaea, or maybe FFTA. I don't remember the original Tactics having generics.

And anyway, since this would be a main-line FF game, I would expand on some systems, give more customization to the characters. But on top of that I would make it more like a traditional FF game in the sense that there are both scripted battles for bosses and important story beats, but also just random encounters against enemies like in some of the Fire Emblem games. And also, very importantly, I would add chocobo breeding to the game. I would have several different characters and classes which can ride chocobos. Or allow all classes to ride chocobos, but with some sort of trade-off. Like higher mobility at the cost of less AP or something. And I would allow you to grow and raise chocobo with stats and stuff, and make a whole mini-game of it, kind of like 7, but maybe a better parallel would be that I want chocobo breeding to be more like breeding in Pokemon, where you can pass along desired traits and such, while maintaining an element of RNG so that getting that perfectly bred chocobo is satisfactory and rewarding.

Make terrain matter more. And tie that back in to the chocobos during combat. If you breed a blue chocobo, it gains some sort of advantage while standing on water tiles, like in a river or something. Green chocobos gain advantage on plains tiles. And so forth.

And since it would be a mainline FF game, I would also try to give it a much higher visual fidelity than the older Tactics games. The Tactics games are fantastic, but in 2018 they don't need to use cutesy sprites on the battlefield. I would like to see fully modeled and rendered units, in all their high res glory on the battlefield. Fully rendered monsters too, as I feel that is something missing from the older Tactics games. Give me a fully rendered Behemoth that takes up like 6 tiles on a tactics grid.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Truthfully, I feel like this is going to keep happening until they stop with the "We have to reinvent EVERYTHING with every new Final Fantasy" approach and stick to a more cohesive vision and game design, like they did for Final Fantasy I-VII. Stop coming up with a new, untested battle system and refine what already works. Stop trying to create the next graphical showcase and focus on art style... Prioritize the things that people value in a Final Fantasy game (good characters, an engaging story, a large imaginative world) instead of inserting mechanics and features to try and chase the latest mainstream trend. If you want to do a Battle Royale Final Fantasy, make a separate spinoff game about it instead of delaying your major numbered title trying to fit that shit in.

There needs to be a change. This has been a problem as far back as Final Fantasy XII, and they still haven't learn their lesson.

I agree with you 100%, and I don't think this problem is limited to Final Fantasy. There just seems to be a general trend in popular IPs to do something different while ignoring the basics of story development/fun gameplay. Personally I thought the FFXV battle-system was fun once I understood it, though I understand the complaints against it and people who just aren't interested in that sort of gameplay in their mainline RPG series. But what I think is the fundamental flaw in this and every FF game reaching back to FFXII is the flaws in the narrative structure. Someone send them a big picture of Campbell's Hero's Journey circle or something. I would, for an extremely affordable price, be willing to stand in on their scenario development with a rolled-up newspaper ready to bop anyone and everyone on the head at the mention of "We'll explain it in a flashback..."

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    All I want from a new Final Fantasy game is for it to be an actual piece of Art. Something memorable and iconic. Enough with the gimmicks and 'engines' and systems.

I want them to pay attention to their characters. To their worlds. To the emotions.

I don't care what form it takes.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Please don't copy X's battle system. It was the worst battle system they made since FF2.

Fuckin...what??

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    All I want from a new Final Fantasy game is for it to be an actual piece of Art. Something memorable and iconic. Enough with the gimmicks and 'engines' and systems.

I want them to pay attention to their characters. To their worlds. To the emotions.

FFXV seemed like it wanted you to focus on the characters and their emotions. It may not have succeeded, but seemed pretty clearly a goal.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've said this many times before, but with the likes of DQ and Octopath existing, they can do whatever they want with FF. Keep on making New Coke, as long as you can still get Classic in some form.

Or hell, flip the board. Next FF game is a straight back-to-classic ATB medieval game. And the next Dragon Quest game goes fuckin' sci-fi off the walls.

This is just me speaking, but for me RPG's have kind of blended together over the years. And by that I mean there's not a massive distinction between them. Which I know is a really weird thing to say. There's obviously a difference between "Dragon Quest" and "Final Fantasy". At the same time, Octopath Traveler is basically a "classic Final Fantasy" game. So it's not called "Final Fantasy: Octopath" and there aren't any chocobo's in the game. So f'ing what. If I have an itch and want a particular backscratcher, that backscratcher exists. Why should I get worked up over what colour it is?

If you want your classic RPG's as they existed in the 90's, they still exist.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

Fuckin...what??

I enjoyed X, but the battle system was by far the weakest part for me. I though it was incredibly boring.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I was just about to come in and say that X has one of my favorite turn based RPG battle systems ever.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'd be down for a modernized back to classic style game the way they did FFIX. The whole marketing cycle for that was how it was a big callback to the old games and I'd say it's been long enough to tap that source again.

My dream has always been Kingdom Hearts but actually Final Fantasy. Heck that's what I thought Versus 13 was going to be and why it was like the game I was most excited for. Sounded like my perfect dream game come true. But I think it would be better for them to shoot for a back to classics style considering everything they've been going through. Get some good faith back from the fans before doing anything too crazy again.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Grove wrote: »

FFXV seemed like it wanted you to focus on the characters and their emotions. It may not have succeeded, but seemed pretty clearly a goal.

XV would've been a lot more successful if it didn't hide character moments behind camping. Or, made camping a forced gameplay mechanic (which would've made a lot of sense... why is it possible for the bros to drive the world's most conspicuous luxury car and sleep at inns or campers in occupied territory where there's literally Imperial hit squads looking for them?). I had no idea that 'tours' were a thing until long after I beat the game.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    50/50 they just rebrand FFVIIR as FFXVI after another few years of not figuring their shit out

What I've seen of FF7-R puts me in mind of The Last Story for Wii, which I really loved despite its flaws, but even at the time thought, "it's be great if this was a bit more refined and pretty."

I'd be 100% okay if they turned FF7-R into The Last Story with modern visuals and some smoother controls.

vamen on
  • Options
    I've said this many times before, but with the likes of DQ and Octopath existing, they can do whatever they want with FF. Keep on making New Coke, as long as you can still get Classic in some form.

Or hell, flip the board. Next FF game is a straight back-to-classic ATB medieval game. And the next Dragon Quest game goes fuckin' sci-fi off the walls.

This is just me speaking, but for me RPG's have kind of blended together over the years. And by that I mean there's not a massive distinction between them. Which I know is a really weird thing to say. There's obviously a difference between "Dragon Quest" and "Final Fantasy". At the same time, Octopath Traveler is basically a "classic Final Fantasy" game. So it's not called "Final Fantasy: Octopath" and there aren't any chocobo's in the game. So f'ing what. If I have an itch and want a particular backscratcher, that backscratcher exists. Why should I get worked up over what colour it is?

If you want your classic RPG's as they existed in the 90's, they still exist.

I don't think that would work at all for Dragon Quest. I feel like Japan and the devs behind DQ games are firmly in the old medieval style setting that DQ will always exist in.

If they did take a turn into the sci-fi, it would have to be very carefully done, sort of like how Etrian Oddysey does it.

• Options
    I'd be down for a modernized back to classic style game the way they did FFIX. The whole marketing cycle for that was how it was a big callback to the old games and I'd say it's been long enough to tap that source again.

My dream has always been Kingdom Hearts but actually Final Fantasy. Heck that's what I thought Versus 13 was going to be and why it was like the game I was most excited for. Sounded like my perfect dream game come true. But I think it would be better for them to shoot for a back to classics style considering everything they've been going through. Get some good faith back from the fans before doing anything too crazy again.

That would have been a great direction for the series to take if it wasn’t for the fact that FFIX got lambasted at launch for looking like “kiddie Disney shit”.

And then World of Final Fantasy, which was charming and fun in its own right and didn’t take a million years to develop, was also criticized for looking like “kiddie LEGO shit”.

FF fans carry a big part of the blame for why the series is so incoherent.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    since ff8 or so the series has felt entirely like each subsequent game is a reaction to the last one instead of a forward-looking vision

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

That would have been a great direction for the series to take if it wasn’t for the fact that FFIX got lambasted at launch for looking like “kiddie Disney shit”.

And then World of Final Fantasy, which was charming and fun in its own right and didn’t take a million years to develop, was also criticized for looking like “kiddie LEGO shit”.

Which is both hilarious and sad given the franchise's roots.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    WoFF Maxima is on the Switch now and it's the FF game I've been most excited about in a long time. Once I clear up my backlog I'm gonna jump in to it. I don't understand the crazy backlash a lot of people in the West have to cute things. I love cute things, and I'm a big white dude in his 30s.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It doesn't need to have a chibi styling to be a back to classics game though. And every damn FF game get "lambasted" for something because gamers awful. That alone doesn't mean enough. But again even that is based soley on the styling of the game. And the styling can be anything they want it to be so that doesn't really matter here at all.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    WoFF Maxima is on the Switch now and it's the FF game I've been most excited about in a long time. Once I clear up my backlog I'm gonna jump in to it. I don't understand the crazy backlash a lot of people in the West have to cute things. I love cute things, and I'm a big white dude in his 30s.

You're talking about the market where COD and GTA have been the top selling games for the past 10 years?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »

You're talking about the market where COD and GTA have been the top selling games for the past 10 years?

Well, yeah, I get that. Sometimes I forget that gaming is much more ubiquitous now than ever before, and the grand majority seem to be playing mostly shooters/sports games. I guess my grievance is with the overall culture.

At least the majority of the shade was thrown at the game itself and not the people who like it.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Just because the biggest sellers are "mature" and focused entirely on violence doesn't mean there isn't room for tons of other games that aren't. I hear Pokemon is doing just fine, for example.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was just answering that the "backlash" isn't that surprising given the current market trends. That doesn't mean there isn't room, just that I'm not surprised there was a backlash.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I would also argue that two of the biggest games being played right now are PUBG and Fortnite. And neither one could look further different than the other.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm a monster who would want something like XV combined with the combat of XIII. I adored XV despite it's weaknesses (actually haven't returned to it since blitzing through on release) and I really like the paradigm system in 13. I have no idea how you would combine those though.

I like the modern and future worlds of both, but I'm down for something complete different too. I'm not in it for classic ATB.

FFXII is my least favorite combat system ever.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Kind of sad to hear honestly. I really enjoyed FF15 for what it was...and after the development cycle it had it was certainly better than it had any right to be. I think I'm going to fire up a new save on the PC version over the Christmas holidays.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling