Options

Tabata out at SQuenix. [Final Fantasy] XV development to end prematurely (finally?).

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Also, make sure you camp a lot. There are little bits of story and character moments that happen at camp. When the game was new and everyone was playing it at the same time, I saw quite a number of people who missed some really cool character beats because they never camped.

Do yourself a favor and camp. Camp at different campsites too. Some of the character beats are location specific.

The worst part of this advice is (from a power gamer's perspective) it's counter-intuitive. Your XP gets a multiplier based on where you sleep! Campsites are basic bitch 1.0x XP, but just over there's a fancy 3.0 XP hotel, cmoooon you know you wanna~

Turns that "Don't actually gain XP when resting" accessory into a necessity for seeing content.

This is why I camped maybe 2-3 times total. Why shouldn't I try to squeeze out as much EXP as I can? It's not like fast travelling to civilization takes appreciably more time than trying to find a campsite, plus there's the added bonus of being able to refuel the Regalia and being able to restock supplies.

For a mechanic that's so integral to getting the 'proper' experience, the game certainly goes out of its way to dissuade the player from using it. Like I suggested earlier, it would've made a lot more sense for the bros to stash the Regalia somewhere (Hammerhead), get some generic beater to drive around in, and purposely avoid staying in civilization too long. Camping would then become an actual integral part of the gameplay.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I played the poop out of XV despite it's flaws, really enjoyed the boys and the weird rural midwest fantasy setting. But yeah, if the next game was even just a simple turn based rpg again i'd probably lose my mind (in a good way).

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I just hate any game where dead party members don’t gain exp. Fuck outta here with that.

I’m willing to go halfway on reduced exp.

Or non-active members not receiving XP. I love most of Octopath, but no XP-sharing is what caused me to quit that game after the second chapter.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmm...I dunno. On one hand, I would love to get a proper RPG with FFRKs mechanics (chains, USBs, AOSBs, etc). On the other hand, man I'm enjoying just dicking around in Fallout 4 currently. And I would love to get some proper game time with Divinity OS. But man that Octopath Prologue was REALLY good (hoping for a Black Friday sale).

What I'm saying is...I think I would be fine with a classic back to the roots game FF5 style or a wonky Open World ARPG. Please have good loots. My MAJOR disappointment with FF15 was with how lil loot was available. I want game-changing Ultimate Weapons!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Can you still completely break FF15's leveling by save scumming search points for rare coins and then making insanely stupid spells that give you a ridiculous amount of xp when you cast them.

Cause that's how i did it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    @Synthesis man the thing I hate about KH2 is that you have to play on Critical to see how deep the battle system really is. Before Dark Souls/Bloodborne, I would've said KH2 was my favorite ARPG battle system.The game design never fully takes advantage of its battle system and you can get away with just mashing Attack and the QTE button.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong, because it's damn certain the game isn't telling you (if I thought Final Fantasy games were occasionally obtuse, KH is like trying to learn gameplay from a cement wall). It seems to encourage you just to get through everything by mashing attack and responding to the occasional QTE (the later of which, I don't really miss--anything more elaborate than the QTE in XV is just wasting my time).

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hmm...I dunno. On one hand, I would love to get a proper RPG with FFRKs mechanics (chains, USBs, AOSBs, etc). On the other hand, man I'm enjoying just dicking around in Fallout 4 currently. And I would love to get some proper game time with Divinity OS. But man that Octopath Prologue was REALLY good (hoping for a Black Friday sale).

What I'm saying is...I think I would be fine with a classic back to the roots game FF5 style or a wonky Open World ARPG. Please have good loots. My MAJOR disappointment with FF15 was with how lil loot was available. I want game-changing Ultimate Weapons!

Oh yea I forgot about the weapons.

Man there were just so few models.

Having the Ultima Weapon literally share a model with a sword you have at the beginning of the game was one of the dumbest things. Ultimate weapons are supposed to be special!

• Options
    edited November 2018

Having the Ultima Weapon literally share a model with a sword you have at the beginning of the game was one of the dumbest things. Ultimate weapons are supposed to be special!

To be honest, I barely even notice weapon models. It's not like other games where there's more frequently not a lot to look at, because you're stuck in an end-game dungeon. Plus, they disappear when you're not using them (and when you are, they're a blurry, confusing mess). It'd be nice to have both, but considering the environment doesn't disappear, I'll take one over the other.

EDIT: Now, complaints about the weapon stats being unremarkable--that I could definitely buy. A weapon model you only see as a grey-blue blur the 5% of the game you're in actual combat minor by comparison.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    It's also my major disappointment with the current FF14 expansion. Heavensward was SO good with weapon models.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

To be honest, I barely even notice weapon models. It's not like other games where there's frequently not a lot to look at, because you're stuck in an end-game dungeon.

Plus, they disappear when you're not using them (and when you are, they're a blurry, confusing mess). It'd be nice to have both, but considering the environment doesn't disappear, I'll take one ove rthe other.

Weapon models are just overall a thing that is SUPER important to me in games and especially RPGs. Like an RPG that has you change weapons but doesn't change weapon models is a major point against it for me. Enough to make me less interested in even playing it.

Probably even the straw that broke the camels back for me not liking the Cold Steel games.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I started to tire out on KH's combat, for a specific reason. It's certainly not the first game to do it, but it's when I really started to notice it, and personally call it "Kingdom Hearts syndrome". You'll be fighting an enemy, and just when you think you're almost finished with the fight, more suddenly spawn from the air. For every one enemy you kill, two pop in. Fights starting becoming exhausting and seemingly never ending, because whenever the end seemed in sight, they'd just shovel more onto my plate.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

To be honest, I barely even notice weapon models. It's not like other games where there's frequently not a lot to look at, because you're stuck in an end-game dungeon.

Plus, they disappear when you're not using them (and when you are, they're a blurry, confusing mess). It'd be nice to have both, but considering the environment doesn't disappear, I'll take one ove rthe other.

Weapon models are just overall a thing that is SUPER important to me in games and especially RPGs. Like an RPG that has you change weapons but doesn't change weapon models is a major point against it for me. Enough to make me less interested in even playing it.

Probably even the straw that broke the camels back for me not liking the Cold Steel games.

I'd definitely be more mindful of it if 1) there was a way to see weapons before you bough them (there isn't) and 2) you saw them out of combat (you don't) and 3) when you saw them, they weren't blue-grey glowing blurs like all the combat scenes in Age of Ultron. I think there might be a stronger complaint about XV not featuring its weapon models prominent enough because of the fantasy element (as oppose to player's wardrobes, which you see 100% of the time).

Otherwise, I'm with you--I'll deliberately pick inferior weapons in SoulCalibur VI's mission mode because I can actually see the weapon featured prominently in my character's hands.

• Options

I'd definitely be more mindful of it if 1) there was a way to see weapons before you bough them (there isn't) and 2) you saw them out of combat (you don't) and 3) when you saw them, they weren't blue-grey glowing blurs like all the combat scenes in Age of Ultron. I think there might be a stronger complaint about XV not featuring its weapon models prominent enough because of the fantasy element (as oppose to player's wardrobes, which you see 100% of the time).

Otherwise, I'm with you--I'll deliberately pick inferior weapons in SoulCalibur VI's mission mode because I can actually see the weapon featured prominently in my character's hands.

Part of that is going to be your set-up.

I felt like I saw Noctis' weapons a lot. Enough that it bugged me when the Ultima Weapon had that re-used model. They should certainly show in the menu, I agree there. You can see the Royal arms in the menu so that's something but the regular weapons should show as well.

• Options
    Yeah you can get a model preview in the shop of what you're about to buy. It was also VERY VERY lame that Ragnarok was paid DLC. Fuck, I'm starting to hate FFXV. Then again, they did the same thing with FF13-2 and LR. And oh man did it suck BALLS in Lightning Returns that Excalibur was paid DLC.

• Options
    It's also my major disappointment with the current FF14 expansion. Heavensward was SO good with weapon models.

Stormblood felt like a few steps back in general. Too much time spent in Doma, a boring villain, not given any real reason to care about the revolution outside of the Empire being bad (Lyse just doesn't have enough personality to make me care), etc. I enjoyed learning about the Au'Ra (and would love the same kind of anthropological attention spent on the Miqo'te in the next expansion), but the bulk of the expansion was simply fighting (and winning) someone else's war with little attention on the larger cosmological picture (Ascians, Zodiark, etc.).

Heavensward was just a lot more interesting to me. It starts with everything gone to shit, has multiple factions in play (the clergy and nobles, the commoners, the heretics, the dragons, Nidhogg, the Ascians), and we learn a lot more about a ton of things.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Stormblood felt like a few steps back in general. Too much time spent in Doma, a boring villain, not given any real reason to care about the revolution outside of the Empire being bad (Lyse just doesn't have enough personality to make me care), etc. I enjoyed learning about the Au'Ra (and would love the same kind of anthropological attention spent on the Miqo'te in the next expansion), but the bulk of the expansion was simply fighting (and winning) someone else's war with little attention on the larger cosmological picture (Ascians, Zodiark, etc.).

Heavensward was just a lot more interesting to me. It starts with everything gone to shit, has multiple factions in play (the clergy and nobles, the commoners, the heretics, the dragons, Nidhogg, the Ascians), and we learn a lot more about a ton of things.

The post-SB storyline involving
    Tsukuyomi

is maybe my favorite moment related to videogames this year, and a hallmark moment for both FFXIV and the franchise in general.

Although it's also caused me to realize that they seem to intentionally leave out the best story content after each new expansion, as a semi-devious attempt to keep players subscribed.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah, i'm continuing to feel very comfortable with my approach to FFXIV of: start playing when an expansion is new, then duck out for 2 years and come back when the expansion's post-release patches have all been released

• Options
    Yeah I'm doing that right now. Their approach to the relic this expansion is so not for me. I mean HW or the stupid Atmas weren't great but Eureka is another level of bad.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I play XIV because I enjoy the trials they put together and the raids, so it's fun. If you're really just story focused @Dehumanized 's approach is pretty good.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I love the trials and raids too, they're very good! I just don't like grinding them as much as the game wants you to because making each single new content drop last for months is hard, so I just wait until all the content is there! :)

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I play WoW as my active MMO and primary time sink. But I return to FFXIV about once a year to get caught up on story and see the new dungeons and stuff.

And of course do the continuation of the Manderville quest chain, which is the single best side quest in any video game ever.

• Options
    I wish Manderville quests were VA'd. The writing is great but I just can't really get into stuff that isn't VA'd these days. It just doesn't actually hit me if I'm staring at text boxes the whole time.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wish Manderville quests were VA'd. The writing is great but I just can't really get into stuff that isn't VA'd these days. It just doesn't actually hit me if I'm staring at text boxes the whole time.

Obviously, the answer is to VA the lines yourself in an incredibly over-the-top manner.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    It's a shame about the timing of the FFXV news, considering I came out of a really big FF high thanks to Distant Worlds.

Yep, I never thought I would get the chance to go live, but thanks to of all things a random internet pop-up ad, I learned that Distant Worlds was playing in my city. Tickets were feverishly bought a month in advance and I got a front row seat to the spectacle last Sunday.

Even though I had heard the DW recordings of these songs many times, there really is no comparable feeling to attending a live session. And they didn't ease you into it either; they started right off the bat with Liberi Fatali, an FFVI Character Theme Medley, Jenova Complete...there was no room to breathe.

And I have to admit I got particularly jittery in my seat during Jenova Complete, thanks to the combination of the choir and the footage on the projection screen. Yeah, I still enjoy it when the blonde guy with the big sword fights the silver guy with the long sword.

The composer (super nice guy) even added in a joke about how Square needs to hurry up with the FFVII Remake. Hoo boy.

And when I thought that the concert was over thanks to the main FF theme being played over credits, the dude said "Yo, we got one more, and you all know what it is."

He invited us to sing along and...well....

Enjoy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1wqtMK5M9Y
    I chickened out a little at the end since everyone else had stopped

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    No Real Emotion from 10-2, no deal.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I would definitely love another turn-based FF, hopefully with a setting like VII, VIII, XIII or XV

No traditional fantasy please

Oddly enough, back when KH1 came out, I assumed it would be turn based. Trailers on the Internet were harder to find back then

• Options

Tsukuyomi

is maybe my favorite moment related to videogames this year, and a hallmark moment for both FFXIV and the franchise in general.

Although it's also caused me to realize that they seem to intentionally leave out the best story content after each new expansion, as a semi-devious attempt to keep players subscribed.

I felt the complete opposite.
    Asahi came out of nowhere, and wasn't very interesting (I loathe Zenos, so a Zenos fanboy? ugh). Gosetsu and Yotsuyu really should've just remained dead after Doma Castle fell. The primal fight itself was neat, but the story revolving around it really didn't amount to anything. We already knew of Yotsuyu's past. Gosetsu goes from being dead to old and crippled. Asahi and Yotsuyu die. The political machinations were... okay, but it's not like Garlemald was going to just sit back and honor any treaty for long. It really felt like a soap opera way to simply get Al heading towards the Empire and a way to all-but-reintroduce Gaius as the Blue Mage job.

To compare, I thought the Warriors of Darkness arc to be far, far superior. We're given antagonists who aren't actually villains, who have a point to what they do beyond simply being assholes. We learn a ton about the universe's cosmology, and the lingering mystery of Minfilia is essentially resolved.

The end of 4.3 and 4.4 have been a lot better than anything revolving around Stormblood proper, IMO. It feels like the game is finally getting back to the point after an expansion + 2.5 patches of tedious and mostly meaningless side material.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Tsukuyomi

Asahi came out of nowhere, and wasn't very interesting (I loathe Zenos, so a Zenos fanboy? ugh). Gosetsu and Yotsuyu really should've just remained dead after Doma Castle fell. The primal fight itself was neat, but the story revolving around it really didn't amount to anything. We already knew of Yotsuyu's past. Gosetsu goes from being dead to old and crippled. Asahi and Yotsuyu die. The political machinations were... okay, but it's not like Garlemald was going to just sit back and honor any treaty for long. It really felt like a soap opera way to simply get Al heading towards the Empire and a way to all-but-reintroduce Gaius as the Blue Mage job.

To compare, I thought the Warriors of Darkness arc to be far, far superior. We're given antagonists who aren't actually villains, who have a point to what they do beyond simply being assholes. We learn a ton about the universe's cosmology, and the lingering mystery of Minfilia is essentially resolved.

The end of 4.3 and 4.4 have been a lot better than anything revolving around Stormblood proper, IMO. It feels like the game is finally getting back to the point after an expansion + 2.5 patches of tedious and mostly meaningless side material.
    Pretty sure the guy with the gunblade is going to be the gunblade job, not a blue mage.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Tsukuyomi

Pretty sure the guy with the gunblade is going to be the gunblade job, not a blue mage.
    I'm thinking it's going to be the same job. Someone did a datamine with 4.3, and not-Gauis was listed as bluemage. My bet is that Blue Mage is the gunblade job (blue, in this case, being both a reference to the classic Blue Mage job of gaining monster abilities and ceruleum. The other job (assuming there's 2) will likely be Dancer.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ugh stop talking about XIV, you're gonna make me want to resubscribe :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Ugh stop talking about XIV, you're gonna make me want to resubscribe :P

Doooo eeeeeeet.....! :P

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Once they make FFXIV not require playing with other people I’ll happily resub

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The thing about XIII I miss most, aside from difficulty, is party dynamics. XIV and XV are basically solo games, you just control the protagonist.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Wasn't XV updated so you can control all 4 members?

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I won't go over what I didn't like about XV again, because it covers the vast majority of the game. But what I 100% loved, and wish there was more of throughout the game, was (endgame spoilers, non-story):
    the solo Noctis dungeon.
    It was just so much fun for me.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The thing about XIII I miss most, aside from difficulty, is party dynamics. XIV and XV are basically solo games, you just control the protagonist.

Well, with XIV it makes sense given it's a MMO.

But, yeah, I miss having an entire party of characters I have to control.

---

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more I really don't want the next Final Fantasy to be modern-ish stuff layered on top of a fantasy world. Give me an Old West setting. Give me a far future setting. Give me an underwater settlements setting. Anything but trendy/edgy (in modern Japanese aesthetic) young adults driving around in cars and using cellphones and whatever. I want something completely different.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Tsukuyomi

I'm thinking it's going to be the same job. Someone did a datamine with 4.3, and not-Gauis was listed as bluemage. My bet is that Blue Mage is the gunblade job (blue, in this case, being both a reference to the classic Blue Mage job of gaining monster abilities and ceruleum. The other job (assuming there's 2) will likely be Dancer.

I'm really, really hoping it's
    Magitek Knight

Finally we can wield all the cool Garlean tech and wear their cool, admittedly nazi-ish armor

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular

---

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more I really don't want the next Final Fantasy to be modern-ish stuff layered on top of a fantasy world. Give me an Old West setting. Give me a far future setting. Give me an underwater settlements setting. Anything but trendy/edgy (in modern Japanese aesthetic) young adults driving around in cars and using cellphones and whatever. I want something completely different.

I want a weird-west FF. Magic and six-guns and maybe some steam/crystal-punk magitek. I'd prefer turn based/ATB system, but most of all I just want a coherent story that's fun to play.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    final fantasy wild arms

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Cruor wrote: »

---

I want a weird-west FF. Magic and six-guns and maybe some steam/crystal-punk magitek. I'd prefer turn based/ATB system, but most of all I just want a coherent story that's fun to play.

This would be a nice change of pace.

I may have enjoyed XV, but that was largely due to the interpersonal stuff between our bishounen heroes and exploring the world at large.

XIII's plot was. . . uh, something. I think. Maybe?

XII's was alright for the most part, though I think the focus was on the wrong character and the plot beats were spaced too far apart for me, personally anyway, to keep track of what happened. Though I do really enjoy the game on the whole.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.