As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games:] friendship is nearly as strong as an analog RNG, it turns out

JedocJedoc In the scupperswith the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
You know how you would never think about murdering your friends and family? Until you start playing a board game and that dick Graham just gives all of his wheat to his wife for no rational reason?

Let's talk about that. Board games, card games, those weird games where you had to locate a specific timestamp on a VHS tape, all of it.

Mostly we're probably going to talk about Solarquest, because that is the queen of board games, and nothing else has come close to touching its magnificence. Look at this shit:

pv41qa22eehh.png

Anyway, I guess talk about lesser board games as well as Monopoly In Space With Lasers, if you must.

GDdCWMm.jpg

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Is this where I go to talk about Star Wars?

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    We bought 24 games at Dice Tower con last week.

Thanks to the miracle of the coolstuffinc ding & dent area, we spent average of 22 bucks per.

Savings standouts include Tyrants of the Underdark for 25 bucks. Mansions of Madness 2e for 40 and Archipelago and Merchants and Marauders for 30 and 20!!!

Couple expansions have already been rolled into other boxes. In case there's concern that I can't actually count.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Is this where I go to talk about Star Wars?

Yes.

pic2737531_lg.png

I've maybe put in a good 60 hours over the last couple weeks helping my friends renovate a dive bar in order to turn it into a craft beer, boardgame and e-sports bar. I spent an 8 hour day just punching components, putting them in baggies, and sleeving cards the other day.

This week will be a much appreciated change of pace... helping taste test the food and the drinks.

I was doing this just because I've been friends with the owners since the 4th grade, but, apparently they are going to give me a huge free drink/food tab when the bar opens. :D

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I would tear my hair out being the owner of a boardgame bar, I would trust no one to keep that stuff intact

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    the relic boardgame is gorgeous

maxresdefault.jpg

and the expansion that lets one player act as a Nemesis, working against the others with their own set of goals that run counter to the group, is prety great too

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I would tear my hair out being the owner of a boardgame bar, I would trust no one to keep that stuff intact

It's essentially an assumed cost of operation, having to replace components and entire games. You do what you can, sleeve cards, seal boards, etc, but, people are going to lose, steal, or damage stuff.

Now, keep in mind that the stuff that gets the heaviest use is always going to be things like Jenga, Monopoly, etc. Stuff where you don't REALLY care that much if it get scuffed, damaged, or loses a piece or two.

Stuff like, say, Eclipse which I bagged up the other game is going to get brought out by folks once in a blue moon and those folks are more likely to take care of the game to some degree.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This is the thread for all of you to throw me ideas for my school board game club.

Specifications
    Game Time: Around an hour to an hour and a half per session.
    Options for more players is better

Things they have liked in the past:
    Pandemic: Legacy (Despite only being four player, we ended up having a good number of extras watching)
    Mysterium
    7 Wonders

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Cosmic Encounters
    Roll for The Galaxy
    Codenames

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    to take up a point from the other thread:

Games about unabashed capitalism that are better than monopoly:
    • Power Grid
    • Black Gold
    • Great Western Trail

I'm trying to think of others

• Options
    I'll toss Small World into the mix for recommendations as well.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    to take up a point from the other thread:

Games about unabashed capitalism that are better than monopoly:
    • Power Grid
    • Black Gold
    • Great Western Trail

I'm trying to think of others

The entire 18xx series.

Food Chain Magnate.

Others I am sure.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I have not played the 18xx games

they look like some heavy ass euros

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I have not played the 18xx games

they look like some heavy ass euros

1830 is probably the best entry point.

And yeah, they are definitely heavy affairs, not for everyone, but, from a design perspective they are pretty darn great.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    This is the thread for all of you to throw me ideas for my school board game club.

Specifications

Pandemic: Legacy (Despite only being four player, we ended up having a good number of extras watching)
    Mysterium
    7 Wonders

For some reason, at my library's teen board game nights Crappy Birthday is always the most popular game by a wide margin. We've also had good success with Zombie Dice and King of Tokyo.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Chrononauts is a good, quick card game about fucking up history in pretty specific ways, you can probably knock out a game in fifteen minutes once you know the rules

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Chrononauts is a good, quick card game about fucking up history in pretty specific ways, you can probably knock out a game in fifteen minutes once you know the rules

I got the Back to the Future version of that.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I got the Back to the Future version of that.

I didn't know they were doing licensed versions of the game!

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Specifications

Mysterium
    7 Wonders

Catan
    - For name recognition if nothing else
    Splendor
    - Always ends up being a quiet game because people get so into figuring out their next move.
    Mystic Vale
    - Fun deck building game with interesting mechanics
    Takenoko
    - Fun, cute game of strategy and board building.
    Tsuro
    - Strategy and competition. It's like cardboard Tron.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Solar Quest is just monopoly in space with a really obnoxious movement mechanic!

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    More

liek

BORED

GAMES

8-)

• Options
    Solar Quest is just monopoly in space with a really obnoxious movement mechanic!

The movement mechanic is what makes it more bearable than Monopoly! It makes it less likely that you'll end up with two people each owning half the board and randomly hoping that they can bleed the other player dry while everyone else has moved on to something more fun!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

maxresdefault.jpg

and the expansion that lets one player act as a Nemesis, working against the others with their own set of goals that run counter to the group, is prety great too

This and Abyss are the two most beautiful games my friend has. This is one of my favorite images from any board game I've ever seen:
    urxrh0icvo6h.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of carcassonne still. I've still never really played with any expansions.

• Options
    I've got Time Stories, which, if nothing else, looks spectacular

• Options
    Inis, in addition to being one of my favorite playing games that has come out recently, has some of my favorite art as well:

pic3112623_lg.jpg

pic3487658_lg.jpg

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Sushi go party. It's much faster but oh my God is it good.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

maxresdefault.jpg

all the fantasy flight Warhammer 40k stuff is really pretty

shame it's all out of print now, I would have liked to have gotten a copy of Forgotten Stars

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I played Hero Quest for the first time the other day. The 1989 original my friend had. It was pretty dated mechanic wise.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tonight I get to play test a friend's game he made. I'm the friend who gets to go in knowing nothing really about it, the true novice guinea pig tester. He will observe how his game is picked up by someone who doesn't know anything about it before hand and I'll give feedback from that perspective. Should be fun!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tonight I get to play test a friend's game he made. I'm the friend who gets to go in knowing nothing really about it, the true novice guinea pig tester. He will observe how his game is picked up by someone who doesn't know anything about it before hand and I'll give feedback from that perspective. Should be fun!

It's a pretty fun game! I was able to suss out some bugs and provide some feedback he seemed to like. Basically, look for "unamed card game" at a retailer near you soon!

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of carcassonne still. I've still never really played with any expansions.

Carcassonne is great with expansions and without. The different ones add some interesting new mechanics, but don't overpower the original game. It feels very modular in that way, you can mix and match them depending on the type of game you want to play.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Carcassonne is one of the great Screw Your Neighbor games. Every turn has some fairly compelling choices about whether you want to help yourself, or hurt the asshole who took the last three jalapeno poppers.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I played Hero Quest for the first time the other day. The 1989 original my friend had. It was pretty dated mechanic wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Just curious, whats everyones favorite Werewolf Style game? I was looking at One Night Ultimate Werewolf, but thats just a single night style game so it seems like it would go too quick.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Single night is best imo.

Rounds are short and you can mix and match for variety. And no one has to sit out while they're dead.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Just curious, whats everyones favorite Werewolf Style game? I was looking at One Night Ultimate Werewolf, but thats just a single night style game so it seems like it would go too quick.

Seconding one night. I also have terrible memories of a mafia game with around 20 people where I was the first kill and no I'm not bitter.....
    But one night is great, instantly everyone is lying and conniving, or even being honest! It really sets up a nice system where unless you go for Max chaos roles, everyone has some, but not enough info about what is going on, and may even be in doubt if they know who THEY are anymore which is great. Some of my finest cons have been pulled in one night.

If you do have large groups, two rooms and a boom is also excellent, though longer. Again no real player elim.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    been playing games with peeps in tabletop simulator recently

evolution and codenames are both very good

• Options
    been playing games with peeps in tabletop simulator recently

evolution and codenames are both very good

A thing I love most about evolution is how if you play with the same group, and they are Keen on winning, (some people go themed or just goof and that's cool too) the strategies keep evolving a lot like a predator prey population dynamic. Last turn Bob won with all those little shitty creatures, so obv I get a mid game carnivore this game to chomp him, but next game everyone is rocking shells and my meat eater strat starves! Early players generally flood the food supply and long neck cooperators clean up, but they are lame when the food gets low. Just, such a good teaching tool of selection advantage /fitness being about context.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    One Night Ultimate Werewolf is pretty much perfect, I love those games that have like 10-15 minute playtimes

I finally got Coup last week and that's a ton of fun for the same reason

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My favorite version of Werewolf is actually playing Werewolf, but I get that may not be for everyone

My favorite hidden identity party game is Mascarade, which is an absolute delight