Options

The Boys of Webcomics

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

taken with the DoA comic from yesterday, this is better character development for a dude what seemed like a bro-ish horndog than I thought Willis could do

Ehh, Joe did a shitty thing, and Joyce is understandably upset. But of all the people who can get high-minded at Joe, the person who beat the shit out of him for no reason isn't one of them.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    gwd4n7hh8qss.jpg
    Atomic Robo

At any point in time, Sir Richard Branson is trying to pull many things.

I think I'm out of the loop on Atomic Robo. Is this a guy that's shown up before?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Peewi wrote: »
    gwd4n7hh8qss.jpg
    Atomic Robo

I think I'm out of the loop on Atomic Robo. Is this a guy that's shown up before?

Robo's talked to other celebrity tech / industry people a few times, and I think they mentioned that his new base was near one of Branson's airfields before.

EDIT: Also just in case

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    gwd4n7hh8qss.jpg
    Atomic Robo

Robo's talked to other celebrity tech / industry people a few times, and I think they mentioned that his new base was near one of Branson's airfields before.

https://youtu.be/4tgW8x8HgRU

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/xxwsh0/the-colbert-report-richard-branson

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    gwd4n7hh8qss.jpg
    Atomic Robo

He was previously seen being pissed that Robo 'borrowed' a fuel truck without permission.
    For Action Science purposes, but still.
    I think he's being set up as the annoying neighbor who starts a ten-year legal battle of a quarter-inch of hedge growing over into their garden, but scaled up for big science industrialists.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I still have issues with May's portrayal in conjunction with the existence of AI's. She was introduced as a felon who funneled an exorbitant amount of money for the purpose of buying a jet so she could inhabit it. The question is, in terms of AI thoughts can this be considered a crime for an existence that is decidedly not human and may in fact possess entirely different morals than humans would learn by dint of being created as-is rather than growing up and learning over time? When May was created or came about or however new AI appear, why did she turn out how she did, personality-wise, and does she bear the blame for something she literally may not have been able to control? Then there's the matter of AI Prison, which is apparently a horrid place, and how it's apparently perfectly okay to confine a sentient mind with no body in a way reminiscent of "And I Must Scream."

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I still have issues with May's portrayal in conjunction with the existence of AI's. She was introduced as a felon who funneled an exorbitant amount of money for the purpose of buying a jet so she could inhabit it. The question is, in terms of AI thoughts can this be considered a crime for an existence that is decidedly not human and may in fact possess entirely different morals than humans would learn by dint of being created as-is rather than growing up and learning over time? When May was created or came about or however new AI appear, why did she turn out how she did, personality-wise, and does she bear the blame for something she literally may not have been able to control? Then there's the matter of AI Prison, which is apparently a horrid place, and how it's apparently perfectly okay to confine a sentient mind with no body in a way reminiscent of "And I Must Scream."

I don't know if they're actually created as-is? They're capable of learning, in any case, and their minds are black boxes.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    lotta qc thoughts

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It's all moot since this is a TITAN simulspace sped up a million times faster as a planets worth of egos are being slowly merged into a single gestalt consciousness. The varying forms of transhumans, uplifts and AGIs slowly become more like each other to make the ego merge process easier.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    It's all moot since this is a TITAN simulspace sped up a million times faster as a planets worth of egos are being slowly merged into a single gestalt consciousness. The varying forms of transhumans, uplifts and AGIs slowly become more like each other to make the ego merge process easier.

Please, it's clearly the Prometheans doing stuff (one of which presumably showed up as that godbot earlier in the comic)

There's not nearly enough body horror for the Exsurgent virus to be involved

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    QC is a dystopia because the Singularity happens and capitalism is still the norm

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    Any fictional robot that functions perfectly like they have a human mind can be assumed to have a brain that does, indeed, function like a human one.

This can also explain fictional robots not possessing traits that a computer does, like the ability to do fast calculations; because they have a human-like robobrain and not a CPU.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    q

How does having different morals excuse an AI (or anyone, really) from repercussions for their actions? "Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Judge, my morals dictate that it is perfectly fine to kill my unwilling spouse, so I guess I'll just go home now?"

The law is a pragmatic technology meant for the protection of society. If an AI was behaving in a destructive manner, even with all the most positive intent in the world, it should be stopped by the authorities.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Fert

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Fert

poot

EDIT: prout

Elaro on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    q

How does having different morals excuse an AI (or anyone, really) from repercussions for their actions? "Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Judge, my morals dictate that it is perfectly fine to kill my unwilling spouse, so I guess I'll just go home now?"

The law is a pragmatic technology meant for the protection of society. If an AI was behaving in a destructive manner, even with all the most positive intent in the world, it should be stopped by the authorities.

There's something called the McNaughten rule. Simply put, it tests for criminal insanity by determining whether the one who committed the crime recognizes the difference between right and wrong. Normally the vast majority of human beings do distinguish from right and wrong.

But what about AI's? They have minds of their own, but they've stated before that they dedicate a colossal amount of their own personal processing power towards their human-like characteristics. That's not something humans do and it's a clear line between AI and human. A human tends to learn right from wrong at an early age for the most part. So what happens when an AI shows up that does not choose to spend that power to be like a human? Are they capable of recognizing when they're doing something wrong? Are they insane? Maybe by our metrics, which are intended for humans, but they may also be following the most logical path because they are absent of "good and evil" and are in fact quite sane as it pursues the singular goal it's chosen. Is it considered "wrong" for the AI to choose not to be like a human or is making humanity mandatory "right"?

These aren't questions that will ever be addressed in QC. They're the stuff of deep science-fiction novels that plunge headfirst into the concepts of transhumanism and existences that are unlike our own. Certainly, we can impose our own values on those existences, brand them with our laws and enforce the consequences, but is that ethically "right" or "wrong" when again regarding an existence that is unlike humanity but very much sentient?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

We are MARTEN
    We are many and we are one

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

We are MARTEN
    We are many and we are one

tumblr_mcvtovs6vH1r0xqnho1_1280.png

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    lotta qc thoughts

uh oh it's the qc police cheese it!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    why doesn't marten just kill the pintsize

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    q

There's something called the McNaughten rule. Simply put, it tests for criminal insanity by determining whether the one who committed the crime recognizes the difference between right and wrong. Normally the vast majority of human beings do distinguish from right and wrong.

But what about AI's? They have minds of their own, but they've stated before that they dedicate a colossal amount of their own personal processing power towards their human-like characteristics. That's not something humans do and it's a clear line between AI and human. A human tends to learn right from wrong at an early age for the most part. So what happens when an AI shows up that does not choose to spend that power to be like a human? Are they capable of recognizing when they're doing something wrong? Are they insane? Maybe by our metrics, which are intended for humans, but they may also be following the most logical path because they are absent of "good and evil" and are in fact quite sane as it pursues the singular goal it's chosen. Is it considered "wrong" for the AI to choose not to be like a human or is making humanity mandatory "right"?

These aren't questions that will ever be addressed in QC. They're the stuff of deep science-fiction novels that plunge headfirst into the concepts of transhumanism and existences that are unlike our own. Certainly, we can impose our own values on those existences, brand them with our laws and enforce the consequences, but is that ethically "right" or "wrong" when again regarding an existence that is unlike humanity but very much sentient?

Any ethics is an imposition of value. (Yes, yes, speak with the outward tongue of violence, KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS, etc etc etc) What ethics is is a way of making decisions. Any consistent ethos will try to make decisions that maximize the chances of achieving one or more goals. The purpose of the concept of the Good is to find a way to "resolve" different, perhaps contradictory goals in a way that satisfies the most goals that the differing ethoses have. Notice I haven't spoken about humanity yet. I don't need to. There is nothing intrinsically human about ethics. Rats have it, ants have it, amoebas have it, but humans are the only ones intelligent enough to comment on it... for now.

That the AI is so different, man from humanity matters not a whit to ethics. If the AI cannot understand that the goals of other beings must be taken into account, then it is either evil (and should be destroyed) or stupid (and not an AI).

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Because he already killed Faye and a second murder would be too obvious.

1khlTn6.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Because he already killed Faye and a second murder would be too obvious.

1khlTn6.png

This is the webcomic reference equivalent of steph curry putting up a 3 pointer and walking away without bothering to see if it went in because he knows it did.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Toss it over your shoulder and nothin but net

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I like the copyright line on this PA

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jamsyjamsy Somewhere in AsiaRegistered User regular
    Man, Chicadino is in for a world of hurt isn't he?

Currently playing Brave Frontier & THE ALCHEMIST CODE - woop!
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

It just dawned on me that this is still day 2 of Peri's Fairytale.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest, I did not know there was a Hannalore iPod character before four strips ago

How do all these characters know about him, like Bubbles? I guess Momo makes sense, but the relatively recent war bot arc?

That character has existed in the strip for a long time. There's no reason to assume just because he hasn't appeared in recent stories none of the characters have interacted with him. Jeph often jumps ahead in time between story arcs.

They've met.

Holy shit that was five hundred comics ago?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Holy shit the comic looks different

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    When QC started Concorde was still running flights and Johnny Cash was still alive.

This discussion has been closed.